Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:34 am 

Hi first time caller long time listener. Sorry if this has been discussed but after searching I didn't find anything on it.

In many cases, EPs are just as important as full-lengths and I feel they should be added to the main tab. You can't tell the story of Alice in Chains without mentioning their second and third EPs, because they're such a huge part of the legacy. Not to mention releases like Overkill's Overkill or !!!Fuck You!!!, Razor's Armed and Dangerous, Anthrax's Armed and Dangerous or I'm the Man, which were incredibly significant in helping those bands gain a following.

I concede that a lot of bands have throwaway EPs that do jack squat for their legacy (Deep Purple for instance has half a dozen all with 0 reviews), or they're just live sampler releases, or they're just essentially mini compilations of tracks from full-lengths. I also understand the stance of full-lengths only as the 'Main' discography because in a band like Deep Purple's case, adding EPs would clog it up unnecessarily.

But I do think there are enough important cases (way more than the handful I listed) to warrant a discussion on it. At the very least I feel like an EPs tab between Main and Lives would be beneficial because throwing EPs in the same category as singles or compilations just feels wrong to me. Curious how the beings of power feel on the subject. Thanks for reading my argument at the very least.

Afra0732
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:35 am 

I definitely think it's fine the way it is, anyone who wants to know about a band's EPs can just look at any of the other two tabs. Main is for LPs, hence the name.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:20 am 

I don't know much about Alice in Chains, but if there is some story that the EPs form part of, can such information not just go in the additional notes?

Reply to topic