Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dark Poet 1967
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:07 am 

I have received two "Official warnings" telling me not to add lyrics one at a time as this is considered point whoring. First off let me state this. I was unaware of a point system, nor do i care. I am in the process of editing all my music with lyrics, album art, song titles, band info, etc. And this site has the lyrics for most of the bands I listen to, like Slayer etc. I am rebuilding my music database and want the lyrics and when i see lyrics that are incorrect I have to fix it. I am NOT deliberately "point-whoring" as you call it, I am merely fixing incorrect lyrics. I am not here to gain points, I am here for lyrics. Sounds like a high school theme about popularity. Take all my points, i do not care. I will continue to correct lyrics that are incorrect. I have attempted to contact the admin that sent the most recent warning, but i have no idea how to contact or send a message to said individual. So here I am in the forums.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:27 pm 

You can fix all the lyrics you want, all we're saying is that you should make all the changes to a release at once, instead of saving between editing each song, please.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:31 pm 

I believe the mod in question is me, so I'll respond here. Firstly, thank you for the clarification. I sent a ''critical warning'' as I thought you had read the first message. The reason we have a rule against saving between each song is because many users save multiple times to exploit more points from their updates, which is a common form of point-whoring. It's not a major infraction and I usually just send a friendly message if it's a first offense. I am aware also that many users save between songs for reasons other than points... often it's done just for convenience, which seems to be the case with you... but we have to keep things fair for everyone. If you're worried about losing work as you type in the fields, the best method is to type the lyrics offline (usually in a Word document), then copy+paste them onto the site once you're done.

We will not dock any points for what appears to be a simple misunderstanding. Such punishments are reserved for more severe/repeated infractions. If you need to contact me in the future, you can either do so via a PM on the forums, or you can send me an email via the address listed on my profile. You can always contact a moderator if you're unsure about something they have sent you - we'd far rather clear the misunderstanding sooner than later. As long as you don't use multiple saves from now on, you have nothing to worry about, and please don't let this deter you from contributing to the site in the future.

Dickpenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:25 pm 

Isn't there a way to modify the point awarding script so that it only awards points once per user and album? Might be the better way than to possibly drive off users like OP, and rids mods of the duty to look for these people and warning them and frees them for more important things.

btw, on this site under Ranks - Points, adding lyrics is not even mentioned. Or does it fall under "updating general"?
https://www.metal-archives.com/content/help

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:17 pm 

I have no idea how complex it would be for HellBlazer and Morrigan, but if it can be done I think it's a very good idea. Should it be impossible to score points if you make another update to that same album months or even years later? Although that may seem a bit harsh on first thought, users below veteran are unlikely to need to modify the same album twice as they can only fill empty data, so earning points shouldn't become much harder at all. Once you reach veteran status, points are not really significant anymore... and they are more or less completely insigificant past metal freak status.

Yes, adding lyrics counts as a general update.

Dark Poet 1967
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:13 pm 

Thank you for responding. I agree with saving in a word document or notepad, but sadly I end up correcting as I go so that makes it look bad on me as not all the lyrics for an album are incorrect, maybe one or two per album. But I will keep this in mind in the future. I will do my editing offline then when i am finished I will go back and edit here. I am using software that allows me to edit ALL the metadata, plus allows me to include lyrics as well as album art. Again thank you for all the responses, they were all informative.

Reply to topic