Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
melonguru
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:31 am 

I'm sorry in advance for asking this since you said in rules please don't ask about it, but I think I have valid reasoning.

Now from my understanding Touhou is banned for not being original material, but the key difference imo is that rearrangements are not necessarily covers. You can make a completely original rearrangement of a given set of themes and motifs without it being a cover of any specific song. Otherwise worship bands should also be banned. If you take something like Piah Mater you can pretty much draw a one-to-one correspondence of their ideas and Opeth songs. I don't see why Touhou groups who do a similar thing with video game music should get a different treatment. If they're literally taking a soundtrack and turning it into a metal song then surely it qualifies as a cover, but if they take themes and motifs of multiple songs and string them together in an original (metal) way I don't see how that qualifies as a cover.

And if you still disagree after this post (which is likely knowing this place), I'd like to request that you expand the "Cover/tribute/gimmick bands" rule that it also says "This also includes rearrangements". To me it doesn't seem at all obvious (for the reasons I mentioned above) that rearrangements and covers are the same thing, neither is are they necessarily a tribute. You could definitely make that more explicit. Now it seems like you're singling out the Touhou scene for no reason (other than maybe "Ew weebs").

Snow Listener
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:40 pm 

As long as a Touhou band has "original" metal materials, they are accepted. Example: Iron Attack!.

From my experience, most touhou bands only rearrange one touhou song into one metal version, not stitching multiple touhou songs into one metal track. This Touhou Wiki is a great source for checking the original songs of rearrangements. For example, this page lists the original touhou songs and the rearrangements of the album 猫吟鬼嘯 by Unlucky Morpheus. It is a one-to-one correspondence.

Can you give us an example of a rearrangement album consisting of tracks, each of which stitches multiple touhou songs?

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:28 pm 

Hi, weeb here.

Snow Listener has it basically correct. Most doujin metal songs are single song arrangements. If a band wants to actually be 100% creative and make an original metal album, then it is acceptable. Even if they did arrange multiple songs into one, then basically it's just a mash-up. If I'm quoting Shanghai Teahouse and Dream Express, the material still is not going to be original.

And yes, we are totally singling out Touhou bands, nevermind the bands that arrange Kancolle, Azur Lane, Love live etc. Give me your weeb badge, now.

Also, that Piah Mater comparison is not apt at all. Style =/= re-arrangement or quoting material. Otherwise, we would have to remove 50%+ of all entries on the list, how many modern black metal bands are still aping the 90's? We could just might as well kill all the slam bands while we're at it. Metal is a genre based around homaging, essentially, but what you don't see is every single re-thrash metal bands taking the opening riff of Hit the Lights and making their own song from it.

The rules have been in need for updating for a while. Old enough that it has been around before Kancolle and Azur Lane etc. Work is in progress, but it's just one thing on the agenda. We don't do this as a job and we have a lot of stuff to manage around here besides our personal lives. But even then the rules are fine as it is because, the reasoning can be glanced from the rules.

It is also ew weebs, as well. Fuckin' Gross.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Crysktal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:02 pm 

Why is Touhou listed as a banned genre in the rules. Touhou is a game series not a genre of music.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:32 pm 

Because the rules were over half a decade ago and believe it or not, not that many weebs/people who listen to touhou stuff on the staff! The rules are old, it should be "arrange" bands or something when it gets updated.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:23 pm 

Yeah, there's plenty of doujin groups on the site (some of which are Touhou related), but the common trait between them is they all have made fully original albums. Iron Attack was mentioned, another couple major examples are 5150 and a more recent site addition being Unlucky Morpheus when they started making fully original works too.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

Reply to topic