Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NuclearDrumsCrushedMyBrain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:54 am 

I was reading the list of unacceptable genres and saw this:

J-Rock, Visual Kei Rock, Touhou (ex: Malice Mizer, Dir En Grey, MyonMyon, Matenrou Opera)

While I agree that most J-rock and doujin cover bands aren't metal (which I'd use in place of "Touhou", a specific game series), Matenrou Opera definitely are, and sure enough they have been on the site for several years and even have an album review from 2017. I'd suggest removing them from the list and writing something like this instead:

J-Rock or Visual Kei Rock which is not primarily metal, or doujin cover bands (ex: Malice Mizer, Dir En Grey, MyonMyon)

Visual-kei is a fashion rather than a music genre, and there are countless bands at the harder end of the style which are actually metal (Gargoyle, X Japan, Versailles), not to mention the related "cute women in skirts playing metal" style (Aldious, Lovebites, Mary's Blood), all of which are accepted as metal on this site, so it's probably better to clarify. I'd also add as a separate line:

Idol pop music with metal elements (ex: Babymetal, Necronomidol)

I've seen people try to submit "artists" like that before, so it is best to establish that they are unacceptable.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:38 pm 

Good catch. That part of the rules is pretty old and the band in question was only added a few years back based on a specific release. I'll let the webmasters know, thanks.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:51 pm 

Their earlier albums are more on the rock side of things so it makes sense they weren't added until relatively recently.

Thanks for amending the description. I would clarify it to something like "Visual Kei may be acceptable if it is primarily metal (ex: X Japan, Gargoyle, Versailles)" to specify the kind of bands that are allowed, since visual kei isn't innately a flat out rejection in the same way that some metalcore is allowed, but it's already a lot clearer. Putting something like this in the "long-ass rambling version" might work:

Visual Kei - This is a fashion, not a genre, and the music can be anything from power metal to pop rock. There are similar issues to the conflation of gothic rock with metal.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:02 pm 

It already says it's Visual Kei rock that's not allowed...

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:34 pm 

Fair enough.

Reply to topic