Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
JK_Bytch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:50 pm 

Yo, i'm about to delete the distrokid of my old band because i can't afford to keep it any longer. This will delete our music from spotify and everywhere else where it's uploaded. The band is also pretty much over, there's just one guy left. If he wants to reupload it later that's up to him, but i'm not paying for distrokid any longer. Is the band page still allowed to stay up anyway? Also i have the UPC codes, so you can check with disstrokid that these albums were in fact uploaded through their site once upon a time.

Band in question: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sl ... 3540463037

Thanks for the help.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:34 pm 

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: We don't/can't continuously monitor whether something is still up and available, any more than we are totally willing and able to make sure those 14 CD-Rs by some DSBM project that actually ended up getting sold haven't all been fed into a shredder or rendered unreadable through constant and unloving use as coasters at this point. There is a certain level of "due dilligence" we do when assessing bands and if it can be demonstrated to us that something was at least available to people for a certain non-negligible amount of time, that there was the possibility of acquiring it, generally that's good enough for us and worthy of documentation. In the case of almost all digital stuff something always survives on someone's hard drive, I'd wager, even if the original sources are long gone. And even if something were to completely disappear from the face of the digital Earth, it's still valuable for an encyclopaedia to have an entry about it.

Kennermahn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:04 am 

JK_Bytch wrote:
Yo, i'm about to delete the distrokid of my old band because i can't afford to keep it any longer. This will delete our music from spotify and everywhere else where it's uploaded. The band is also pretty much over, there's just one guy left. If he wants to reupload it later that's up to him, but i'm not paying for distrokid any longer. Is the band page still allowed to stay up anyway? Also i have the UPC codes, so you can check with disstrokid that these albums were in fact uploaded through their site once upon a time.

Band in question: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sl ... 3540463037

Thanks for the help.

This is a bit besides the point, but you could create a Bandcamp page for your music, which is for free, from what I understand. That's a good way to keep the music available to everyone.

http://bandcamp.com/

JK_Bytch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:53 am 

Alright, thanks both of you.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:44 am 

You can distribute your music to Spotify etc. for free if you use RouteNote, Amuse.io or Soundrop (note Soundrop's website is oriented towards cover songs but I understand their service has no fees for distributing original material).

Bodosa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:48 am 

Can bands that have released digital albums in reverbnation or soundcloud be submitted for acceptance??

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:34 am 

Yes, but only if there is an apparent tracklist order, all songs are available for download and (ideally) there's a cover (and it's clear that it belongs to the release).

Streams do NOT count on those sites.

Bodosa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:00 pm 

Are singles considered a valid for submission?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:03 pm 

It depends. We usually prefer multiple singles, each with unique cover art.

Bodosa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:50 am 

Sir,
I have a question. There are couple of Indian bands I found out that participated in a split album but that band now has no digital records available in the world wide web. And that particular split was released on CD.

Can I submit the band without the samples? (since it's not available)

What can be done regarding such a situation?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:56 pm 

ideally we need the samples. if there truly isnt any online an you can not provide an upload, even to just the staff for reviewing purposes, then we would need reputable reviews. what that means is that someone who writes for a metal zine or something would have to have reviewed the music and described it as metal. this is typically only used for old bands who are long since lost to the ages but might have been talked about in a magazine.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Reply to topic