Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kennermahn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:41 am 

Hello
Since in this website there seems to be a little obsession with this so-called "point whoring", sometimes one keeps from making minor edits out of fear from being called a "point whore" or whatever. Just like on Wikipedia, there could be a checkbox next to the save button labelled "Minor edit", which kept you from getting points whenever you felt your edit wasn't truly relevant (Wikipedia doesn't have a point system though). This way one could make minor edits (e.g. adding lyrics to a single song at a time) without being labelled a "point whore". Of course such edits would have to bear something marking them as such.

I must say that I can understand the need to keep people from making superfluous edits to abuse this point system, although this whole "point whore" label seems a bit too extreme to me.

Thanks

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:34 am 

I really don't agree with this. And, I say this as someone that's been here since 2006.

When I first found M-A, I made quite a few as you say "minor edits", and I made so many of these, a certain Mod that is no longer here deemed me as a point-whore. I stated my case in the appropriate forum thread, and after I explained what I was doing, I was no longer addressed as such. Needless to say, what I was not doing was one at a time lyrics, but still minor edits all the same. Like so many sentences missing appropriate punctuation and the like were my main "minor" edits at the time.
*So, what you're saying is that I shouldn't be getting points for minor edits!? O.k....... .....
The point system is kind of a rewarding experience, as it, as you know helps you get up in the ranks, Into which then, are able to make more notable edits. As long as you edit, or try to edit the site respectfully, I truly don't see how getting points, minor or otherwise should even be an issue....

Tbk, I see stuff like this recently, I still make those minor edits, it's all about trying to help maintain the site to look and be the best source of metal on the internet. And, hell even a couple years ago I was accused of point-whoring again, not by a Mod mind you, but another regular member. It was quickly addressed that I wasn't. And, that should very well be obvious, as I'm still at "Metal freak" status. ;)

Major edits, minor edits.... all points should count (respectfully, as following the rules and guidelines as per already addressed on the site). M-A has been using this system at least since all the years that I've been around. As everything is stated on the site as what not to do when editing, I really fail to understand where you're coming from on this matter.

As you say this, "(e.g. adding lyrics to a single song at a time)", this doesn't even need to be happening in the first place? As all the tracks are listed on the album and just click that box thing on the side per added song lyrics, (then) hit save.

Imho, I feel like the point system is fine as-is.
And, really absolutely nothing to have any fears whatsoever about.

NintenTheMetalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:49 pm 

I think the issue is that people like to use points for prestige/ego, and people try to make edits just to gain this "prestige." However, ranks are really just for allowing you to edit the site even further, allowing you to contribute more without filing a report.

I was working up to get the veteran rank because I wanted to be able to correct certain site issues, like for instance, deleting dead links. Dead links legit bother me so I wanted to be able to delete them myself without having to file a report. When I was working up to veteran, I was sort of doing some small edits, particularly when I got closer to 1000, but it was not for prestigious purposes whatsoever. I just wanted to help the site more than I could.

I do see how your idea would try to eliminate whoring for points for ego, but I think those people likely wouldn't use it at all since they know they'd get the points if they didn't. People should just be reminded that points and ranks do not mean a boost in ego, but rather the ability to contribute more to the site.

Kennermahn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:25 pm 

Spider_X wrote:
When I first found M-A, I made quite a few as you say "minor edits", and I made so many of these, a certain Mod that is no longer here deemed me as a point-whore. I stated my case in the appropriate forum thread, and after I explained what I was doing, I was no longer addressed as such. Needless to say, what I was not doing was one at a time lyrics, but still minor edits all the same. Like so many sentences missing appropriate punctuation and the like were my main "minor" edits at the time.
*So, what you're saying is that I shouldn't be getting points for minor edits!? O.k....... .....
The point system is kind of a rewarding experience, as it, as you know helps you get up in the ranks, Into which then, are able to make more notable edits. As long as you edit, or try to edit the site respectfully, I truly don't see how getting points, minor or otherwise should even be an issue....

Tbk, I see stuff like this recently, I still make those minor edits, it's all about trying to help maintain the site to look and be the best source of metal on the internet. And, hell even a couple years ago I was accused of point-whoring again, not by a Mod mind you, but another regular member. It was quickly addressed that I wasn't. And, that should very well be obvious, as I'm still at "Metal freak" status. ;)

But why the need to go through the hassle of having people accuse you and you defend yourself from the accusations when it could be easily avoided? And this Minor edit thing would be optional, like I said, you would be able to use it if you felt like it, just like on Wikipedia.

NintenTheMetalhead wrote:
I think the issue is that people like to use points for prestige/ego, and people try to make edits just to gain this "prestige." However, ranks are really just for allowing you to edit the site even further, allowing you to contribute more without filing a report.

I was working up to get the veteran rank because I wanted to be able to correct certain site issues, like for instance, deleting dead links. Dead links legit bother me so I wanted to be able to delete them myself without having to file a report. When I was working up to veteran, I was sort of doing some small edits, particularly when I got closer to 1000, but it was not for prestigious purposes whatsoever. I just wanted to help the site more than I could.

I do see how your idea would try to eliminate whoring for points for ego, but I think those people likely wouldn't use it at all since they know they'd get the points if they didn't. People should just be reminded that points and ranks do not mean a boost in ego, but rather the ability to contribute more to the site.

Like I said it would be a feature for users who just wanted to edit small things at ease. It wouldn't eliminate the actual "point whores", of course, because it would be just a checkable option. And as for people who needed the points to contribute better, it wouldn't affect because of the same.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:49 pm 

worry not about what regular users say or think, the staff is not going to come after you for point whoring for making acceptable edits to the site. and hell, even if there is a problem, we will address it with you before anything punitive comes to fruition. the idea here is silly because all valid edits are acceptable and encouraged

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Kennermahn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:52 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
worry not about what regular users say or think, the staff is not going to come after you for point whoring for making acceptable edits to the site. and hell, even if there is a problem, we will address it with you before anything punitive comes to fruition. the idea here is silly because all valid edits are acceptable and encouraged

Oh, well, okay, good to know then, thanks.

Reply to topic