Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
todesengel_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:28 pm 

I noticed a somewhat peculiar glitch after adding an instrumental demo and a later non-instrumental version of the same demo.

Original instrumental demo:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/S ... iny/942179
Later version with lyrics:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/S ... iny/942180

As mentioned, the original version is an instrumental. Everything shows up fine on that page. Notice that it is listed as the "top" version in the version listing. This leads to a problem on the page for the other version with lyrics. Where it would typically say "Show lyrics" next to each track, the page instead says "Instrumental". The word is still clickable and will change to "Hide lyrics" when clicked, showing the lyrics as any other release page would. "Hide lyrics" can then be clicked again to get "Show Lyrics" like normal. I made sure to uncheck the box for instrumental for each track in the editor, but it still says Instrumental next to each track when first visiting the page.

This isn't really harming any site functionality, but just an odd quirk I thought I should mention.

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:39 am 

I did some stuff and here's what I can make out of the error:

If you try to untick the instrumental checkboxes, they'll instantly get ticked again, and the page will show that I did the last edit, but there won't be anything in the logs, which makes it look like a ghost edit.

This happens, I'm guessing, because alternative versions of an album will always take the metadata from the original version, so even if you change stuff like the length or name of the song, or anything else for each track, it will still be using the metadata of the original track in its place. This is why even if you untick the instrumental checkbox, it will show up as instrumental, because the original (parent) tracks are set as instrumentals.

To fix this you need to delete the tracks and re-add them, that way instead of having a "parent" track from which they get their default data from, they become separate tracks that are independent of the ones in the original release. I went ahead and tested it with one track and that's how you fix it.

Up to the webmasters to check the code and fix this if possible.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

PaganFolker616
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:05 pm 

A similar problem happened to me some time ago. In fact I made a report that hasn't been resolved yet. Same as you I added an instrumental album and then a non-instrumental version of it but for some reason I can't remove "instrumental" for tracks 1 and 3. I untick them and when I save nothing happens. Seems that 0th also tried an edit but what he did doesn't appear in the update history.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Cancer_Blooms/Purely_Artificial/932919

Dickpenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:44 pm 

I'd add it as a separate release, because tracks are changed significantly by adding vocals.

Reply to topic