Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Blackmore Forever
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:46 pm 

"Please wait until the album is actually released on August 20. Pre-orders DO NOT count."

Why this, for KK's Priest entry, given that all the info are out there now?

What's the problem with pre-order or not pre-order?

I've read in the rules that a new album can be listed (apart from the existence of the band, obviously, and here we certainly have the band), if is certain and public:
- complete tracklist (is there)
- artwork (is there)
- exact release date (is there)

So, even if the album wasn't already in pre-order anywere, it should be listed anyway, for all the needed info are not just on the selling websites (Amazon etc.), but on the official band's website.

Also, the band has already released at least 2 singles (with their videos), so even if the album would never been released, the band should be listed for those singles (at least one is purchasable from the label, if I remember well).

At least if the criteria is the same used for all the other bands (especially underground but not only) accepted even if they have released just a single (or perhaps 2 or 3, but it's not so different) on Bandcamp and no other info or news about an upcoming EP or full album are known.

By the way, I've seen again some rules now about this, and in fact they are not updated, otherwise all the above-mentioned bands should not be in the Archives.

So either update the rules, or use again the original ones, so delete all that bands and don't accept similar new ones anymore, but only the ones with a full album (or at least an EP) and already released when you are accepting the band.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:20 am 

Blackmore Forever wrote:
I've read in the rules that a new album can be listed (apart from the existence of the band, obviously, and here we certainly have the band), if is certain and public:
- complete tracklist (is there)
- artwork (is there)
- exact release date (is there)

This only applies to upcoming releases for bands that are in the database, i.e. already have a valid release. When it comes to adding a band from scratch, the release must be out and available at the time of submission. The confusion here probably arises from the fact that the section you're looking at is talking about valid discography entries for acceptable/accepted bands, not what qualifies a band for inclusion in the first place. It doesn't look like those singles are really valid, by the way, more like advance tracks without unique cover art.

Rules wrote:
For a band to be acceptable, it must have already released and distributed a metal album. An upcoming release is not acceptable: wait until the actual release date (based on the site's timezone, i.e. EST/EDT) before submitting the band. We used to accept such bands, until we realized many of them were all talk and never even released the demo for real. So we're very strict on this. Expect any band whose sole album is upcoming to be insta-rejected by the first moderator who sees it in the queue.

Reply to topic