Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Blackmore Forever
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:11 pm 

I received this note (I don't remember the name of moderator and I forgot to copy also the name):

"Please don't change links named "Official website" to just "Website". That's not very descriptive, they're all websites. "Official website" is fine, or "Homepage" is also good.

Also, no need to remove "@ Facebook" for band links on *artist* pages. On band pages, it's true that it shouldn't be "Band X @ Facebook" but rather just "Facebook". But for links to an artist's unlisted bands, it's good to have both the band and the site for clarity's sake. Just the band name makes me think that it would lead to the band's official site or something.

Thanks."

1- Have you ever noticed that links are in sections/windows/entries (call it as you want), and so is CRYSTAL CLEAR that if one link is in the "official" section IS official, and so that repeating the "official..." in the name is useless and redundant (and it uses space in the server, I guess, if you consider that the name/links in the site are thousands and thousands)?

2- What is the problem if people can't see the kind of page listed in bands' links (both listed or not) before they click? Also, a Fb page can be, and very often is, as official as a website for a band, so it's not less important or of more uncertain origin than a site, because also this latter could be done by fans only or whoever and not by the band itself and it's not always simple to understand.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:24 pm 

Dude, it was an extremely simple request. Why are you arguing about this?

1 - A link labelled "website" is just silly. Yes, it's on the "official" tab, so? Bandcamp, Facebook, etc. are also websites and official, doesn't mean they're the official website. Use "Homepage" if you prefer that term when adding links yourself, but there's no need to go editing valid labels that are already there. And you can let me worry about the server space...

2 - Uh... why would it be better to not know where the link leads? It's not strictly necessary to add it, but going out of your way to remove a potentially useful detail is ridiculous.

If you're that desperate for stuff to edit, there's a long list of reports awaiting attention.

Blackmore Forever
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:08 am 

I've seen much more "arguing" post in the forum (yet I visit it nearly never), and for things of very less importance and/or where the moderators were absolutely and clearly right.

I've posted the issue because I don't think that request is right. Yes, it's simple, and I've got it without problem, I understand it, BUT I totally don't agree... can't you get the point? Who's said that a "simple" request is always right and due?

So, still I can't get the issue, sorry.

Why repeat the term "official" for links under "official" section? And why then, not to write also for other kind of pages? So, "Official Bandcamp", "Official Instagram", "Official Myspace" etc.?

What is "official" for you? For me is when a website or other pages with a band's name, has been created and/or is managed by the band itself or by others but clearly on behalf of the band (official band's management, a band's friend credited to do so and similar). So, every page is official if it meets that condition IMO, which it's true it's not always clear or sure, but this goes for every kind of page, classic website/Homepage included, if one doesn't know exactly and for sure the truth and who is managing the page/site/social.

So we could add even more "useful details" to links' names, for exaple the type of website (.com, .org, .it), or the kind of graphics used and many more things, because for some people they could be important to know before click.

I don't give a fuck of points (tell to Uncolored and others)... LOL... I correct what I think should be fixed and usually because I was already on that page/band/artist to update or fixed some "more important" things; and apart from this, it's because this is an encyclopedical site if I remember well, and it's born and developed to be more "reliable", "consitent" etc. than the other "crap sites" and databases on the web. So all must be in the same form in every page.

So choose what you prefer, but if it's "Homepage", so shall be for all pages, and the same if you choose "Official website" (silly, useless and redundant - the "official" term, I mean - I say again, and even a 5 years old kid would agree), or what you want to call that classic sites (Band's website", "Band's site"...). Calling the similar websites in different name for different band is the only real ludicrous thing for me, along with the inconsistency said above, the "official" term not used for Bandcamp pages and others, but for websites only; although, again, it's proper IMO that ANY of the links under "official" title don't repeat the term "official".

I would be ready to submit this ludicrous (not because of me) issue of the repeating "official" term and the other things, inconsistency etc., to the "masses", or even just to all users (not only moderators or some of them) of MA to know what they think, and in case of the ones agree with you and Uncolored or other moderators, read if they can explain why they are right and I am wrong.

P.S. - All are websites? This means all and nothing, a silly statement. Usually and since ever, a website is the classic site you got by buying a dominion (but now you can do it even for several free spaces, apart from a little self-ad banner perhaps), and where one can custom whatever they want from scratch, and with a personal URL without extra common terms (apart www and .com or others, obviously). Instead, sites as social media, music sellers etc., have little to none to be customized, graphic-wise, functions-wise, and in the URL is obviously always displayed the kind of site (Facebook, Myspace, Instagram...), along with the personal name, often along with other automatic numbers. And the issue about official or not, for me is just depending on the thing I've said above, like for any other kind of pages referring to a band or artist, that is the only thing that make a difference between official and unofficial, not the kind of pages/sites.

Blackmore Forever
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:11 am 

About "points whore" (maybe the mothers of some...), I add that I care so much of points and blabla, that if I'll be banned from the site I'll give less than a fuck+shit...

Free to keep your wrong opinion and inconsistency and all the crap about this issue (and others too), maybe one day this site will be like the others you call "crap sites" and similar, full of non-senses, inconsistency etc.

Do it if you want, not my name will be among the outcome anyway, because anyone can always see the modifications history, or even until what year and time one has been in the site.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:25 pm 

Blackmore Forever wrote:
that if I'll be banned from the site I'll give less than a fuck+shit...

OK bye then you absolute manbaby imbecile

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.