Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PhantomMullet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:04 pm 

The internet has changed a lot over the past 20 years. Things are more centralized, there's more stuff out there, but it has a completely different vibe and sometimes that's not always the best thing. Traditional forums like this have slowly been on the decline in return for social media and similar things. I remember showing up here in 2003 wanting to learn more about Dimmu Borgir - their band picture was that weird Christmas-themed one. But I got familiar with this site quickly, learning about other bands and expanding my repertoire in my metal journey. I wouldn't know the music I do today without this site.

The forums were the same story. Lots of great discussion on thought-provoking topics but also a great place for humor and metal discussion. It's a very tight-knit community here and I still see that to be the case. I remember how neat the symposium forum was for really intelligent discussions that you can just enjoy reading. Learned a lot there. But I also remember an epic thread where people funny band pictures that they found on the main site.

When I was younger, I would sometimes butt heads with some of the mods and admins here, bickering over points, but at the end of the day, it was great to have a group of people put so much effort into such an amazing website and community. I doubt many people would know who I am or remember me (I do have a few dozen reviews, which I may get back into), but all the same, I am grateful for knowing a place like this.

So big thanks to all the admins, moderators, users, contributors - everyone who has made this the true one-stop shop for anything metal related!

No suggestions or complaints here - just a piece of positive feedback in a world where such a thing can be quite rare!

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:53 pm 

Thank you very much. :)

Reply to topic