Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:13 am 

I've ran far too many times into this situation in which a band mentions that they had some member during some months or even more than that, but they never specify said member's name, and I've also seen a lot of times that maybe the lineup in the archives for a band has 3 members but checking their social media they have 4 or 5 but their names are unknown. Sometimes there are pics with the members but their names are unknown, specially for older bands.

Can we have an option to add a "unknown artist" with no artist page, just to specify that, at some point, some artist played with a band, but their name is not yet known? I think it'd be useful.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:54 pm 

that would create tons of pointless "unknown artist" pages. you can add a note along the lines of "the band had at least two more members in their early years". I think.

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:17 pm 

aloof wrote:
that would create tons of pointless "unknown artist" pages. you can add a note along the lines of "the band had at least two more members in their early years". I think.

Oh no, I didn't mean to create pages for said artists, but rather have them appear in a band's line-up without creating an artist page, otherwise it would be messy. Probably if this option was implemented it should be limited to Veteran users as to prevent it being abused.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:30 am 

Imagine you know that a band had 5 members, from a picture for example, but you don't know who played what in the band. Based on your suggestion, you will have in the lineup tab x5 unknown artists playing unknown instrument(s). What important information does this add to the band page? Nothing really and this is pointless. You can simply add in the additional notes that the band has 5 members, etc.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:54 am 

BuriedUnborn wrote:
Oh no, I didn't mean to create pages for said artists, but rather have them appear in a band's line-up without creating an artist page, otherwise it would be messy.

i can already foresee the reports: "hello, i am "unknown artist (1998-2001): bass" and my name is John, but my page does not load and I also want to add my instagram account: @evilnachos. how do i add?"...

Reply to topic