Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:59 pm 

Forgive me if this is already an option, but I just can't find it.

When I search for a band, there doesn't seem to be a way to sort the results by popularity. I'll be looking for a pretty obvious and popular band, and still have to click through several bands before I find them. For example, if I search "Suffocation", the Suffocation we all know and love is the sixth result.

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:15 am 

The idea would be useful, but popularity is rather subjective, and there are many bands with similar names (or the same name) which share popularity, such as with Queensrÿche. I'd switch the suggestion and make it so:

1. The mods need to manually make it so a band deemed "popular" appears first when searching, which would end up in some biases and a headache, most likely.

2. Let you sort by total number of reviews (given that popular bands tend to have more reviews).

3. Let you sort by total number of "similar artists" votes (which would mean that the band is getting attention).

The last 2 would be an invitation for people to just submit reviews or vote for similar artists to boost the band so it appears higher in the searches, so I don't think the webmasters would take their chances with this. The idea is great but I don't know how it could be implemented in the most objective way possible.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:32 pm 

I don't know if the database software allows for it, but sorting by number of band page views (particularly from unique IPs) seems somewhat less prone to abuse.

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:31 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I don't know if the database software allows for it, but sorting by number of band page views (particularly from unique IPs) seems somewhat less prone to abuse.

IU don't know whether the site tracks the visits per page, and couldn't someone just create a macro to refresh the page constantly, which would probably count as a visit?

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:26 am 

BuriedUnborn wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

IU don't know whether the site tracks the visits per page, and couldn't someone just create a macro to refresh the page constantly, which would probably count as a visit?

That's why I mentioned unique IPs, and maybe there's also a way to track it by unique user accounts who've looked at that page, or something else creative. Someone more tech-savvy than me might have a better idea. Nothing is foolproof, and someone skilled and dedicated enough could probably find a way around it, but shifting the order of a band listing around is such a minuscule benefit to them individually, I don't know if many would bother. And the upside for the rest of us if the original suggestion worked is much more useful, because I'm sure most of us get annoyed at having to remember which link to click for some of the more common band names.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:36 pm 

I think it's a good idea! For a feature like this to work, the measure in which it's ordered probably isn't too important. Even if it's just an approximate sorting, it should never take long to find the most popular bands, and the other big advantage is that unknown bands with one unheard demo from before 1990 can be filtered out.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:27 am 

I don't see a benefit here tbh.

Sorting them manually is a shitload of work for the mods..

Sorting them by views makes it very inconsistent for medium/small bands. Releasing a new album might wash them further up the list and gradually set them back over time, so you have them at different spots in the list every time you search for them.

Currently, it's sorted by country, because that's easy and consistent as the country of origin never changes, so unless new bands with that name get accepted, you can be sure the band you're looking for is in the same spot each time you search for them.

If you're tired of having to go through multiple bands to find the one you love, bookmark them and access them from there.

My thoughts at least.

Reply to topic