Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:46 am 

Hello, so, the title says pretty much everything. I'm thinking specifically of the depressive black metal band Smuts, that I've submitted some time ago and got deleted because of the new policy regarding digital singles. I believe an exception could be made for cases in which the band in question has already split-up, since this means that they won't release more music. Therefore, their entire discography is comprised of one metal single, which I'd say it could be acceptable, since it sets in stone that it is, indeed, a metal band.

Of course that those cases aren't exhaustive, but I'm sure that there were more situations like those of Smuts. And, for sure, for approval purposes, the submitter has to refer clear evidence that the band is over and not that they've just quitted social media or that the band is in situations like "unknown", "on-hold" or "disputed". Maybe even for bands that have changed name that exception would be appliable (or maybe with disputed cases, but I don't know how does this status work out, honestly).

What do you say?

smileyfacesofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:10 pm 

Didn't see this when I made my post

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:02 pm 

Hello, is there already any update on this?

I believe that there's another band that could usufrute from this situation, which is Skullflower, the Metal Lords' fictional band, which has only released one single, in pretty much all mainstream digital platforms. Since the movie is already done and thus, the band too, it's pretty much a band with only one single out in its entire existence.

I'd like to again reinforce the idea that this should be regarded as some kind of selected exceptions, having all the information available be mentioned to acertain that the band is really done and over. I don't think it's fair for these specific bands to not being included on MA, because the situation they're in is pretty much unique.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:59 am 

I've been considering this before, but I don't know if we want to go down that particular rabbit hole. Complicating the band review process further, plus there's no guarantee a band is split-up for good. The status can be taken into consideration if a band has multiple releases and we're not sure which way they lean, but if there's only one single, I don't think we need to make rigid exceptions. That being said, the digital release guidelines are -as always- not set in stone and there's some leeway, so I'm not saying that the band's status is always entirely irrelevant, just that the semi-hard line of multiple digital releases is reasonable enough across all sorts of bands.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:21 am 

Hello, first of all, thanks for reaching out and reviewing this proposal. Yes, there's surely no garantees that the band is split up for good. They could eventually make an unexpected comeback when no one is paying attention and it's surely complicated when it comes to pretty much unknown bands, which would be much more difficult to track.

What about for the Skullflower case? Don't want to look boring with this, but I believe they're a real special case, since they were conceived uniquely for the OST of a movie. If there's eventually a second film of "Metal Lords", it would go either way: either it is metal enough, on the vein of the first single, or it isn't and it would be easier to track since the movie would have a big commercial covering. What do y'all say?

Thanks.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:29 am 

Let's wait if there's ever going to be a second Skullflower single.

Reply to topic