Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
smileyfacesofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:26 am 

I noticed I was banned last night and I realized the reason why. I admit I was rightfully banned for my offense of having 2 accounts and acting as 2 separate individuals.

I had grown to dislike my username on my original account and wanted to disassociate and abandon that account. I had planned to build enough points to have the same editing abilities on this account I had made several years, for this same reason. To abandon the original account. But I forgot the login information. At first I had attempted to get a new password but I never received the email. So I continued to use my original account. I tried again and recently but this time I checked the spam folder. So I began to use this account more, while using the original account to correct mistakes I was unable to with this account. You can see it was inactive for many years. Sometimes I'd forget to log out of the original account and submitted bands with it. This account was never meant to be a sock puppet but as a new main account.

Once regulations on digital releases changed I began to resubmit bands, but with this account instead, that were unacceptable because of the short duration but were indeed metal bands. I communicated with moderators as a different person than my original account because I wanted to not be associated with that username anymore. I realized I should have been honest about my reasons instead. All bands I have submitted I listened before submitting, I never submitted anything I didn't think was metal. The other day I submitted metal bands and got impatient once I reached the 15 band submission limit and stupidly decided to submit metal bands with my original account too.

I considered making an appeal yesterday but decided just to make a new account, start over and never make that mistake ever again. That new account was swiftly banned soon after I began to submit metal bands to the queue that I had submitted before.

I love this website ever since I first stumbled upon it as a teenager. I've spent countless hours contributing to help make it correct and complete. I never did "point-whoreing", I tried my best to always do all my editing that I had to do at the same time. I have gotten points removed in several occasions and gotten my status demoted from submitting bands deemed unacceptably by moderators. Again, I never submitted anything I didn't think was metal, borderline yes, but I thought they were metal enough.

I had no idea that requesting for a new username or that deleting the account was an option until I spent a few hours looking through the forum last night. I hadn't really used this section of Metal-Archives that much before, only to ask to have blacklisted bands listened to again to resubmit and sometimes to make a suggestion. I would like to ask to have my original account deleted or at least have my email removed. Also the new account that I made last night to be deleted as well.

I wish I can continue to be a contributor to this amazing website once again using this account. I'll take the punishment of having all my points removed and starting over again from 0. I am genuinely sorry and I hope I can be forgiven. I will never make such an idiotic mistake ever again. I just really want to be able to help archiving metal bands. Thank you for taking the time to read my appeal.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:16 pm 

The notion of having a second account isn't what concerned us so much, even though it's generally discouraged. It's that you used both accounts to circumvent limits (such as with the band queue), rig similar band votes, and re-appeal bands which were rejected under the other name. On top of that, you also used your accounts to review your own bands and inflate ratings. We regret that it took us this long to learn that you were doing this, but certainly you can understand why we would ban you, right?

Should clarify, too, that you didn't just get rid of one account and decide to start up on this one. Both accounts have been active and were being used jointly at the same time for quite a while.

Quote:
I considered making an appeal yesterday but decided just to make a new account, start over and never make that mistake ever again. That new account was swiftly banned soon after I began to submit metal bands to the queue that I had submitted before.

Of course it was. You were evading your ban.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

smileyfacesofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:38 pm 

Yes, I did mention I was using both accounts while I was building up points to have the same editing abilities. I would correct mistakes that I couldn't correct with the low ranking one. I thought it would be faster than making a report. Though I did make reports. I created this account in 2012. I did not use it all the way from 2012 until now. It was inactive for 8 years. I was intending to use this account always once I got enough points where I could correct things without making unnecessary reports. I did become impatient and submitted bands on the old account which In admit I shouldn't have done so. I regret it. I was starting to make draft I had made in the old account into this account. The bands I attempted to resubmit weren't initially rejected for not being metal but because the digital release was not long enough. The rules changed so I though they'd be accepted this time. I really dislike the old username have had for years so I did not want to be associated with it any longer. I did not mean to be deceitful. You can see how much I've contributed to Metal-Archives over the years since early 2000's. I really love this site. I didn't think creating a new account was considered evading.
Is it possible to be given another chance? I won't ever do this again. I just really want to continue to be a contributor to Metal-Archives. I am now off work, I couldn't write everything I wanted to write. As for the album review I put a lot of effort on writing it, I suddenly had the motivation to finally do it, I have ADD, so I had to rewrite it many times. I noticed errors that I wanted to fix after submitting. I had been wanting to review it since I got the CD, that 100% was deserving. If you like that style of music check it out.

smileyfacesofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:07 am 

Of course I am not asking to not have to pay for the consequences of my crimes. I could maybe be put on probation? Have my voting abilities for similar bands disabled, limit even further the amount of bands I can submit to the queue, not get any of the points I had before returned, and if I brake any rules again to be banned permanently without a chance to appeal.

smileyfacesofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:15 pm 

I did not understand why writing a review was being held against me until I re-read the site rules. To be honest I don't think I've read the rules since I made my old account around 2007. My memory has deteriorate as I've gotten older so I didn't remember the rules. I probably have to go back and re-read them even more. Like I had mentioned, I have ADD, and I haven't taken medication for it since I was a child. I can't really afford to see a doctor. I have to repeatedly read things several times to really comprehend what it is that I am reading. Which sucks cause I love to read and sometimes write, and it also affects my life. Ignorance of the rules is no excuse, but in my defense I did not write multiple reviews with each account for the same album or have a dual conversation with myself to attempt to get a band accepted. I did however vote for the similar bands, I did that on impulse and feel incredibly stupid and ashamed that I did that. I can't even get remember for what band I did that. I hope you can see my history and see how much effort I've put into contributing to Metal-Archives, compared to what I have done wrong. I never wanted to cause any harm. Those mistakes, I will never do again. I really wish I can be allowed to continue to be part of this amazing website.

smileyfacesofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:33 pm 

I've used Metal-Archives almost daily since 2007, except for a few years when I was jobless and homeless. Updating missing information, correcting errors, adding lyrics (which takes me a long time 'cause I try to make sure I don't make a mistake when typing) submitting bands. I wish to continue to help archive metal bands. I know that moderators and the webmasters are busy and have better things to do. But I hope that you can discuss my appeal to be unbanned and give me another chance.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:44 pm 

Can you stop now, please?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.