Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:16 pm 

I've noticed that CW, the artist behind Canadian NS bands Svolder and Blood Libel has a disclaimer in his edit page that while the name field is blank and can be edited, the artist would prefer to remain anonymous. In addition, his real name was submitted by a user in 2019 and was taken down by a mod a month later in service of said anonymity. As a longtime user of the site, I can remember others in the NS scene specifically but also generally among black metal musicians that their anonymity is not always assured, take Vautrin for instance, a musician with an arguably larger imprint on the same scene whose name was "outed" on the site, applied to have it taken down and was told, multiple times by multiple mods, no. Have site rules changed regarding this or perhaps something regarding this artist specifically that triggered this response? Is it just someone on the mod team looking out for a friend?

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:30 pm 

Not a mod, evidently, but I believe that it has to do with the real names being publicily available to check out on another places. Vautrin's name is refered not only in other encyclopaedic sites, like RYM and Discogs, but also in what it appears to be like a forum post about NSBM.

For instance, the other musicians' names aren't really nowhere to be seen elsewhere, so, it describes how the person wants to keep his/her identity secret and also that such information isn't publicily available, therefore, there can't be a refusal for those cases.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:40 pm 

Do you have any reason to think that his name was leaked elsewhere and subsequently brought here? Because its equally likely that that was not the case given how ubiquitous this site is. I feel the truth may be lost in old 1.0 update logs that were wiped

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:46 pm 

Which person, specifically? Vautrin?

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:53 pm 

Yes.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:31 am 

A quick search online reveals that Vautrin was credited with his real name on at least one release. I can't say if that was the original reason the name got added, but that'll certainly do it.

I'm not saying this isn't the case for CW, and I'm not the moderator who removed the name, but on short notice I can't find any such sourcing for him right now.

Inspector_Satan wrote:
Is it just someone on the mod team looking out for a friend?

Yeah uh, rest assured that none of the staff would "look out" for a holocaust denier, let alone count any amongst their friends... EDIT: I hope it's clear that no special treatment like that should be happening for any entry.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:00 pm 

Thanks for the picture, I've seen one or two old Pantheon releases but they were always hidden behind psuedonym. Seems pretty cut and dry.

sabinefr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:08 am 

Hi there,

thank you for the informations about this matter. I would like to comment, that to my experiences and perspective from my home area Germany and from my favourite Metal genre BM, it is not merely a matter of having correct and complete sets of available information for one artist at the Metal Archives. Worst case: easy access to real name and location information could have serious further implication for an artist under attack in RL as well as for her/his family and friends.

Whenever someone asks me for anonymity, I will respect that. Always. Regardless if the real name is known in the so called "Underground" or if the name was printed years ago on an early album cover, at a time when the Metal artist felt young, wild and free and did not care about privacy. They have their reasons. Doesn't matter of how different I personally think about their opinions and their view on the world.

I am grateful that I can write and read here anonymously without having to reveal my real life ID to everyone. In my case, I won't mind but cherish the free option of being anonymous as a matter of principle.

THX for reading, kind regards

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:35 pm 

Why should someone leak the real name, age of a person who wants to be anonymous? That's a violation of personal rights. Some people don't want their photos and real name to be online. This MA not FBI. Don't these kind of people who do this, have anything better to do?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:35 pm 

We remove artist and band photos on request from the artist in question.

Like with all information on MA, real names should only be included if they were publicly released by the artist in connection with their work as an artist (eg. a credit on an album, the listing of members on an official band page, given freely in an interview, etc.). We trust that our users follow this guidance. Our job as an encyclopedia is to catalog already existing public information, insofar as it can be verified as factual, and especially in the case of personal information, officially sanctioned. Please refer to 2.8.2. in our Privacy Policy on more information regarding this.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Reply to topic