Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:37 pm 

I don't know if this is already discussed in a previous thread, but I've noticed that here in the Archives that the new wave of British heavy metal (shortened as "NWOBHM") is used in the genre terminology, with some bands like Iron Maiden combined with "heavy metal," while others like Samson have the terminology by itself. Honestly, I think that if the terminology must be used, it must be augmented by "heavy metal" as well, because it's more of a movement than a defined genre by itself.

AJManiac666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:40 pm 

NWOBHM can be called either a genre or a movement if you like. Of course all bands here can be called "Heavy Metal" but rather NWOBHM better since these were part of the era.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:12 pm 

AJManiac666 wrote:
NWOBHM can be called either a genre or a movement if you like. Of course all bands here can be called "Heavy Metal" but rather NWOBHM better since these were part of the era.

Yes, but suppose that someone is searching for "heavy" under the search box if they are looking for traditional/regular heavy metal in general. This would leave out several British bands like Samson. I think the terminology by itself isn't that necessary, or it could be renamed to its full "new wave of british heavy metal." Meanwhile, bands like Saxon and Iron Maiden have the "NWOBHM" and the standard "heavy metal" label in the Archives.

Nigelpippi
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:49 am 

NWOBHM maybe a sub genre of Heavy Metal

KingSpooky
The Man, The Machine, The Legend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:27 am 

I think that NWOBHM bands should have the term listed in their genre. The music itself has a unique energy that often plays more off of hard rock than "typical", straightforward heavy metal (as we know it to be) does. The NWOBHM sound played an integral part in making heavy metal what it had become by 1983, and in my opinion that, additionally, is noteworthy. It's a well-recognized concept and innovative style that tons of books, blogs, etc. have been specifically created about. Google currently has 1.3 million results for the term. An encyclopedia about metal should definitely have such nuances covered and searchable. I could see the usefulness of adding 'heavy metal' to the genre fields in the 200 or so cases where it is currently absent, as it does fall within this more vague categorization (and could take care of this task if other moderators believe that it would be worthwhile).

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:49 pm 

KingSpooky wrote:
I think that NWOBHM bands should have the term listed in their genre. The music itself has a unique energy that often plays more off of hard rock than "typical", straightforward heavy metal (as we know it to be) does. The NWOBHM sound played an integral part in making heavy metal what it had become by 1983, and in my opinion that, additionally, is noteworthy. It's a well-recognized concept and innovative style that tons of books, blogs, etc. have been specifically created about. Google currently has 1.3 million results for the term. An encyclopedia about metal should definitely have such nuances covered and searchable. I could see the usefulness of adding 'heavy metal' to the genre fields in the 200 or so cases where it is currently absent, as it does fall within this more vague categorization (and could take care of this task if other moderators believe that it would be worthwhile).

Fair enough; I do see its importance.

NurseWitchWound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:36 pm 

The problem is that this label is pointless in a way, it's more of a movement than a genre, only bands from the UK and Jersey from the late 70s - mid 80s will ever use this term.
Searching Heavy Metal is going to miss out a lot of these bands also.

KingSpooky
The Man, The Machine, The Legend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:02 pm 

Heavy Metal has been added to all of them.

A lot of people still search and refer to those bands as NWOBHM, so it will be good to keep that tag in addition. It was a good suggestion to have these bands searchable also by 'heavy metal' - when running this search for bands from the United Kingdom, it will paint a much clearer/more complete picture.

NurseWitchWound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:14 pm 

KingSpooky wrote:

A lot of people still search and refer to those bands as NWOBHM, so it will be good to keep that tag in addition. It was a good suggestion to have these bands searchable also by 'heavy metal' - when running this search for bands from the United Kingdom, it will paint a much clearer/more complete picture.

I think Venom should be "NWOBHM, Heavy/Black/Speed Metal", rather than what's just been there.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:35 pm 

KingSpooky wrote:

Thanks for considering my suggestion. I think it'll be more helpful searching in the future.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:03 pm 

NurseWitchWound wrote:
The problem is that this label is pointless in a way

On the other hand, when searching for NWOBHM bands on the Archives there are frequently 5-10 bands or more with the same name. Having NWOBHM in their genre field is helpful for a quick glance, even if the country field suffices most of the time.

Reply to topic