Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hellow2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:34 pm 

Hey,

I've seen somewhere a suggestion of you shouldn't just put wildcard characters in the advanced search Field. But it is important to do, because I can reduce my web request in web scraping from... 160k requests to 20. See if you put a wildcard character in a search Field, it'll show this collumn in the quick band overfiew. And don't get me wrong... it's an amazing feature, but it is broken.

If I do that for every Field, you can see that the number of results is only half as much. Both links for comparison:
https://www.metal-archives.com/search/advanced/searching/bands?bandName=*&genre=*&country=&yearCreationFrom=*&yearCreationTo=*&bandNotes=*&status=&themes=*&location=*&bandLabelName=*#bands 43,601 entries
https://www.metal-archives.com/search/advanced/searching/bands?bandName=&genre=&country=&yearCreationFrom=&yearCreationTo=&bandNotes=&status=&themes=&location=&bandLabelName=#bands 161,075 entries

Now I know it isn't meant to be used this way, but since you don't provide a proper api, thats the only way I see. I actually have also a guess, why that bug might be. You probably use sql (its the most common), and in sql you do String comparisons with LIKE https://www.w3schools.com/SQL/sql_like.asp. Like can to my knowledge only match to strings, not to null. So if now a band has Fields, which are unknown LIKE doesn't match to them. This theory seems to be confirmed, by the bands , missing being all bands where either the forming year, themes or something else is unknown.

Btw. thanks for the great archival of Data.

Have a nice Day :)

NurseWitchWound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:54 pm 

One thing I did notice there is that you have added "*" for Notes, if Notes are blank the band won't show up.

Hellow2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:29 am 

NurseWitchWound wrote:
One thing I did notice there is that you have added "*" for Notes, if Notes are blank the band won't show up.

Yes I know that was exactly my point. This should be fixed. Due to this bug (maybe it is intended but I wouldn't know why) I will have to make considerably more web requests to download all band metadata. This acutally is the case for any field not just for notes.

Reply to topic