Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 9711
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:32 am 
 

PaganiusI wrote:

Done.
_________________
Da Däéfö schlåft nèd. || Last.fm | Discogs | Goodreads | BOINC

No cat food and a toe knife out the window?! I mean, what am I doin'? Puttin' on airs because I got company?

Top
 Profile  
Storm of the Light's Bane
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:16 pm
Posts: 602
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:42 pm 
 

Storm of the Light's Bane wrote:
Wind Rose is currently listed as "Progressive/Power Metal", while I'm not that familiar with their other 2 albums, their latest album, Stonehymn, sounds pretty folk metal to me. I'd suggest changing their genre to something like "Progressive/Power/Folk Metal".

Full YouTube playlist of Stonehymn: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Rgt6wvzH3Q

Bumb.
_________________
BastardHead wrote:
RakdosWarlord wrote:
So are any tracks available yet for listening?


Yeah there are actually four albums' worth of preview tracks dating back to 2010.

Top
 Profile  
Charlo
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:05 am
Posts: 217
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:30 pm 
 

Charlo wrote:
Inner Visions is listed as "Melodic Heavy Metal" even though it is clearly just straight Power Metal in the vein of Stratovarius. I honestly hear no heavy metal influence in any of their songs.

Youtube: show

Youtube: show


Can this get looked at?

Storm of the Light's Bane wrote:
Storm of the Light's Bane wrote:
Wind Rose is currently listed as "Progressive/Power Metal", while I'm not that familiar with their other 2 albums, their latest album, Stonehymn, sounds pretty folk metal to me. I'd suggest changing their genre to something like "Progressive/Power/Folk Metal".

Full YouTube playlist of Stonehymn: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Rgt6wvzH3Q

Bumb.


I think "Power/Folk Metal" would work. To me there is very little about their sound that is progressive (other than parts of their first album). If you wanted to throw a third descriptor in there, it would definitely be "Symphonic Power/Folk Metal".
_________________
Visit guessthatalbum.com for an addictive album-cover guessing game!

Top
 Profile  
Storm of the Light's Bane
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:16 pm
Posts: 602
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:10 pm 
 

Charlo wrote:
Storm of the Light's Bane wrote:
Wind Rose is currently listed as "Progressive/Power Metal", while I'm not that familiar with their other 2 albums, their latest album, Stonehymn, sounds pretty folk metal to me. I'd suggest changing their genre to something like "Progressive/Power/Folk Metal".

Full YouTube playlist of Stonehymn: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Rgt6wvzH3Q


I think "Power/Folk Metal" would work. To me there is very little about their sound that is progressive (other than parts of their first album). If you wanted to throw a third descriptor in there, it would definitely be "Symphonic Power/Folk Metal".

Hmmm, after listening to their first album, I can't say I agree with removing progressive from the tag completely. Shadows over Lothadruin sounds pretty progressive to me. How about "Progressive/Power Metal (early), Power/Folk Metal (later)"? There is a pretty big difference between their sound on Shadows over Lothadruin and Stonehym, with their debut being more prog, and Stonehym being more folk.
_________________
BastardHead wrote:
RakdosWarlord wrote:
So are any tracks available yet for listening?


Yeah there are actually four albums' worth of preview tracks dating back to 2010.

Top
 Profile  
Midnight Rider
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:07 pm
Posts: 260
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:28 am 
 

Storm of the Light's Bane wrote:
Hmmm, after listening to their first album, I can't say I agree with removing progressive from the tag completely. Shadows over Lothadruin sounds pretty progressive to me. How about "Progressive/Power Metal (early), Power/Folk Metal (later)"? There is a pretty big difference between their sound on Shadows over Lothadruin and Stonehym, with their debut being more prog, and Stonehym being more folk.


I agree. Changed.

Top
 Profile  
Storm of the Light's Bane
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:16 pm
Posts: 602
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:03 am 
 

Thanks MR! :thumbsup:
_________________
BastardHead wrote:
RakdosWarlord wrote:
So are any tracks available yet for listening?


Yeah there are actually four albums' worth of preview tracks dating back to 2010.

Top
 Profile  
Starseeker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:22 am
Posts: 8
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:54 pm 
 

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Tribulation/39589

Their early stuff was Black/Death Metal in veins of Necrophobic and so on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29SbrvTmVgA
However, now they play a mix of early Dissection-like melodic black metal with gothic rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvJQGOFltSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNZgqxAxaj4

Top
 Profile  
Midnight Rider
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:07 pm
Posts: 260
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:21 pm 
 

Starseeker wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Tribulation/39589
Their early stuff was Black/Death Metal in veins of Necrophobic and so on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29SbrvTmVgA
However, now they play a mix of early Dissection-like melodic black metal with gothic rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvJQGOFltSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNZgqxAxaj4

Tribulation needs an (early), (later) genre change. Let's wait until "Down Below" is released to consider it on their future genre description.

Top
 Profile  
Peyp
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 1:16 am
Posts: 171
Location: California, United States
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:47 am 
 

I never got why Suicidal Tendencies doesn't have "hardcore punk (early)" in their genre description. It's not like those years are overlooked either; their debut album was one of the most important hardcore punk albums of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw3mJg_YkfU
_________________
Witchrot wrote:
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...


RIP DIAMHEA

Top
 Profile  
OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:42 am
Posts: 2588
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:29 pm 
 

Peyp wrote:
I never got why Suicidal Tendencies doesn't have "hardcore punk (early)" in their genre description. It's not like those years are overlooked either; their debut album was one of the most important hardcore punk albums of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw3mJg_YkfU

Agreed. Adding it.
_________________
Uncolored, commenting on Erosion of Humanity's allergies wrote:
Your house in Chicago is possessed by Unholy Virus
PhilosophicalFrog, making accurate statements as usual, wrote:
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Top
 Profile  
Bachstein
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:49 am
Posts: 89
Location: Hungary
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:33 am 
 

Hi mods,

I think that Sisyphean's genre should be changed to Post-Black/Death Metal. Regarding their full-length album, I hear quite a lot post themes and post-components that add a typical "post-like floating feeling" to their black/death sound from my point of view. Their LP can be checked below;
https://sisyphean.bandcamp.com/

Waiting for your kind comment about the genre.

Top
 Profile  
BlackMetallist2666
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:58 am
Posts: 2
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:58 pm 
 

ravencult genre should be black metal (early) and black thrash (later) because not only do they call it that themselves, it genuinly sounds like that.

examples:
early ravencult (black metal) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl6M79T7C8s Despise the Blindfold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z42fo4J01N8 Cosmic Chaos
armageddon rising missing cuz i couldnt find a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTQnY-qzkA&t= Temples of Torment
later ravencult (black thrash metal) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hGebH7x9o0&t= Morbid Blood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amA4WizTSo0&t= Force of Profanation

ravencult website saying their music went from black to black thrash: http://www.ravencult.com/band.php

i hope i provided enough information

Top
 Profile  
Midnight Rider
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:07 pm
Posts: 260
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:24 pm 
 

BlackMetallist2666 wrote:
ravencult genre should be black metal (early) and black thrash (later) because not only do they call it that themselves, it genuinly sounds like that.

examples:
early ravencult (black metal) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl6M79T7C8s Despise the Blindfold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z42fo4J01N8 Cosmic Chaos
armageddon rising missing cuz i couldnt find a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTQnY-qzkA&t= Temples of Torment
later ravencult (black thrash metal) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hGebH7x9o0&t= Morbid Blood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amA4WizTSo0&t= Force of Profanation

ravencult website saying their music went from black to black thrash: http://www.ravencult.com/band.php

i hope i provided enough information

Not distinctly black/thrash like other bands of the style (Desaster, Aura Noir), but genre changed, anyway.

Top
 Profile  
PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:49 pm
Posts: 469
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:25 pm 
 

How about adding a "Black Metal" to the tag of "Arkona/Аркона

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI1NrcxsWOI
_________________
!Low-Life Arrogance!
~Feel free to visit: Blog - Shop~
~Live young, die free~

Top
 Profile  
LitillStaralfur
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:13 pm
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:35 am 
 

I think the band Nightmarer's genre (https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ni ... 3540423642) should be changed from technical death metal to avant-garde black metal/death metal. Here are two songs from their new album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrq3GZPAyLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PQFmBCzDXE

Top
 Profile  
Axel666MoWi
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:57 pm
Posts: 101
Location: France
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:38 am 
 

I'm not sure but Evil Pigs ( https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Evil_Pigs/50565 ) sounds Death'n'Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvE4e21 ... e=youtu.be

What do you think about that?
_________________
Belphegor > Black Metal > Brutal Death Metal > All

Top
 Profile  
TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:06 am
Posts: 1488
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:01 pm 
 

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Vo ... ction/6402

I am not really familiar with the music, but there must be a less messy way to deal with their genre, or no?
_________________
Successful deals: Metalrecords, screamingskulls1313, Gogsi (x2), Kovner, Lord_Elden, sehaitt, blutkvlts, Matty_The_Emo_Slayer, einvolk, Madcow

Top
 Profile  
YourGodIsDead
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:28 pm
Posts: 33
Location: Florida, USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:32 am 
 

I would like to suggest changing the genre description of Northwind Wolves from Melodic/Neoclassical Death Metal to Melodic/Neoclassical Death/Black Metal. I would say that the current description is partially accurate and that Black Metal is prominent in their sound as well. The band also describes their sound on their Facebook page as "Vile Melodic Black Metal" and lists Dissection, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Emperor, Darkthrone as influences.

2017 debut album:
https://northwindwolvesblacklion.bandca ... -cold-grim

Top
 Profile  
Midnight Rider
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:07 pm
Posts: 260
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:26 pm 
 

YourGodIsDead wrote:
I would like to suggest changing the genre description of Northwind Wolves from Melodic/Neoclassical Death Metal to Melodic/Neoclassical Death/Black Metal. I would say that the current description is partially accurate and that Black Metal is prominent in their sound as well. The band also describes their sound on their Facebook page as "Vile Melodic Black Metal" and lists Dissection, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Emperor, Darkthrone as influences.

2017 debut album:
https://northwindwolvesblacklion.bandca ... -cold-grim

This is not "neoclassical" at all.
I'm thinking about Dimmu Borgir/Dissection with some melodic death metal riffs from time to time.

Genre changed to "Symphonic Black/Death Metal".

Top
 Profile  
TheUnhinged
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:28 pm
Posts: 247
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:09 pm 
 

Hey there, so I have a couple ideas that I want to shoot to you guys.

So, I had The Third and the Mortal's genre changed several years back, to differentiate the clear differences between the early work and the later albums. I still think their early material is aptly described as melodic doom metal, but I'm starting to think the way I had described the later work isn't accurate. Calling it experimental is accurate for sure, but I honestly think "pop" and "industrial" were just me pulling non-metal labels out of my ass due to ignorance. As I've looked into some bands that inspired their later work, or bands that play a similar style, I found more accurate descriptors for the releases. Painting on Glass is almost straight up 4AD worship (Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins, This Mortal Coil), which can be summed up as some sort of ethereal wave or darkwave material. Memoirs is more like the kind of stuff that The Gathering would end up playing on their Home album; trip-hop kind of atmospheric rock that was inspired moreso by Portishead than anybody else. Yeah, there are some electronic sounds here and there, but industrial and pop just aren't accurate ways of describing the bands later work whatsoever. So, here is what I propose;

Melodic Doom Metal (early), Darkwave/Experimental Rock (later)

Youtube: show

Youtube: show

Youtube: show

Youtube: show

Youtube: show

Youtube: show

Youtube: show

Youtube: show


----

This one is a little bit simpler. The other band I wanted to mention is Shroud of Bereavement. I think their listing as neoclassical death/doom is a bit confusing. So, I believe the band was trying to suggest neoclassical in terms of neoclassical darkwave (Dead Can Dance, Elend, Dark Sanctuary, etc), but I think the listing as is could be misconstrued as neoclassical metal, which obviously they are not. My suggestion would be changing neoclassical to symphonic or atmospheric, as they have a very grand orchestral and folky sound that I personally don't think could be accurately pinned down as "gothic", despite similarities to ToT and Draconian. It's still pretty doom/deathy and funeral doomy sounding and lacks the catchiness that I think would be appropriate for calling it gothic.

Symphonic Doom/Death Metal
Youtube: show

Youtube: show

Youtube: show

Top
 Profile  
Helvede
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:28 pm
Posts: 1495
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:43 pm 
 

I changed Third and the Mortal...Can't believe this was tagged industrial.

Top
 Profile  
OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:42 am
Posts: 2588
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:23 pm 
 

TheUnhinged wrote:
This one is a little bit simpler. The other band I wanted to mention is Shroud of Bereavement. I think their listing as neoclassical death/doom is a bit confusing. So, I believe the band was trying to suggest neoclassical in terms of neoclassical darkwave (Dead Can Dance, Elend, Dark Sanctuary, etc), but I think the listing as is could be misconstrued as neoclassical metal, which obviously they are not. My suggestion would be changing neoclassical to symphonic or atmospheric, as they have a very grand orchestral and folky sound that I personally don't think could be accurately pinned down as "gothic", despite similarities to ToT and Draconian. It's still pretty doom/deathy and funeral doomy sounding and lacks the catchiness that I think would be appropriate for calling it gothic.

Symphonic Doom/Death Metal
Youtube: show

Youtube: show

Youtube: show

I'll take this one.

EDIT: Done.
_________________
Uncolored, commenting on Erosion of Humanity's allergies wrote:
Your house in Chicago is possessed by Unholy Virus
PhilosophicalFrog, making accurate statements as usual, wrote:
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Top
 Profile  
PDS
The Folk One

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:04 pm
Posts: 1498
Location: A forest on an island!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:09 am 
 

PaganiusI wrote:
How about adding a "Black Metal" to the tag of "Arkona/Аркона

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI1NrcxsWOI


Nah, one album after like seven albums is not enough to warrent a change.
_________________
Shadechaser wrote:
But all of them dim and fade 'cause the man named PDS has an other opinion....

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
All I meant to say was that the band's name doesn't sound ballsy enough for me to listen to it

Top
 Profile  
Spider_X
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:48 pm
Posts: 107
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:00 am 
 

I meant to post in here the other day, after PM'ing a Mod, and was directed here...

A few days ago, I had answered a report (and, the report has also been closed)... fhm0096 reported Hermóðr's page, in saying "This should be either Ambient Black Metal or Atmospheric Black Metal". It has been listed as just Black Metal, probably since day one. I must agree with him on this. Some of Hermóðr's music is ambient, but all of it is most definitely atmospheric, and it really should be listed as such.

After checking out any of the links provided, consider changing it to at least Atmospheric Black Metal, or Ambient/Atmospheric Black Metal? Thank you to anyone who will take the time to check this out! :)

Hermóðr's M-A page: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/He ... 3540346412

Links to a few albums to check out his music (for "atmospheric"):
Midnight Eclipse: https://hermodr.bandcamp.com/album/midn ... ipse-album
The Howling Mountains: https://hermodr.bandcamp.com/album/the- ... ains-album
Hädanfärd: https://hermodr.bandcamp.com/album/h-danf-rd-album

(what would be considered "ambient"):
Saknad: https://hermodr.bandcamp.com/album/saknad-ep
The Deep End: https://hermodr.bandcamp.com/album/the-deep-end-ep
_________________
We are slaves to Metal!

Top
 Profile  
TheStormIRide
Jesuscop

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:45 pm
Posts: 1791
Location: Brazildonesia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:22 pm 
 

Spider_X wrote:
...Hermóðr's page, in saying "This should be either Ambient Black Metal or Atmospheric Black Metal". It has been listed as just Black Metal, probably since day one. I must agree with him on this. Some of Hermóðr's music is ambient, but all of it is most definitely atmospheric, and it really should be listed as such...


I'm familiar with most of the project's work and agree with the Atmospheric Black Metal tag. Sure, there's some ambient, but it's not really enough to be tagged when compared with the vast body of albums that are straight up Atmospheric BM. Genre updated.
_________________
POZERKILLER wrote:
damn I think ive already heard everything

Top
 Profile  
Spider_X
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:48 pm
Posts: 107
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:41 am 
 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Spider_X wrote:
...Hermóðr's page, in saying "This should be either Ambient Black Metal or Atmospheric Black Metal". It has been listed as just Black Metal, probably since day one. I must agree with him on this. Some of Hermóðr's music is ambient, but all of it is most definitely atmospheric, and it really should be listed as such...


I'm familiar with most of the project's work and agree with the Atmospheric Black Metal tag. Sure, there's some ambient, but it's not really enough to be tagged when compared with the vast body of albums that are straight up Atmospheric BM. Genre updated.


Thank you so much! :)
_________________
We are slaves to Metal!

Top
 Profile  
MutantClannfear
Veteran

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 12:12 am
Posts: 3101
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:53 pm 
 

Band: Flom: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Flom/3540418224
Currently: Progressive Death Metal
Suggestion: Death/Groove Metal
Why: Lots of E-string pentatonic scale noodling similar to Pantera, very few traditional death metal blasts, lots of slow bouncy groove metal-like drum beats, very few "progressive" elements aside from occasional clean parts and vague djent influences
Where you can listen to it: https://flomband.bandcamp.com/releases
_________________
GLASS SHRINE - mellow major-key black metal
THE OUTER RIM - genre-fuck exquisite corpse avant-garde metal

Top
 Profile  
Megalodon_
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:45 pm
Posts: 6
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:12 pm 
 

Report.

I would change Moon's genre to Raw/Atmospheric Black Metal.

On Caduceus Chalice (2010), the vocals have a lot of reverb as many of their releases do, however the keyboard use, which is also usually very prominent, takes a slight backseat and when it does appear it is mainly used to accent the guitar riffs. The riffs themselves are heavy and raw. Listen here.

Render of the Veils (2014) is more atmospheric with even more reverb on the vocals and a more intense use of keyboards. The drums are very far back in the mix while the guitars are a bit more forward, and songs are riff-based warranting a raw black metal tag. Listen here.

Overall, I'd say their releases are a blend of Raw and Atmospheric Black Metal and not a one-or-the-other deal.

Top
 Profile  
MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:35 pm
Posts: 858
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:06 pm 
 

Apologies for long post. I submitted a post to this thread back on Halloween, but it does not appear that there was ever any follow-up. Below here are several different genre updates from the report queue, mostly to help ease the bloat on the queue, all with sources/samples. Just posting so it doesn't end up lost.

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
So, in case you hadn't noticed, the report queue is more than a little bloated lately. In an effort to kill off some of the fat, I'm cross-posting several of the Wrong Genre reports with valid evidence to this thread, since A) Knights can't work them anyway, and B) this is a more visible spot to get them worked on. Enjoy.

Spoiler: show
Band: Addiction of a Murderer
[spoiler]
Yung Static Tha VHS Tape wrote:
Death Metal/Hardcore is a bit of a stretch. This band is clearly deathcore.
Source:
https://aoam.bandcamp.com/


Band: Akari
Spoiler: show
Visitor wrote:
Its not black metal
Source:
Just listen https://akaricult.bandcamp.com/album/ep


Band: Ancient Prophecy
Spoiler: show
Visitor wrote:
Ancient Prophecy actually started as a gothic/doom/death metal band and their first album Days Of Doom was in that musical style. They have added some power metal elements on their
2008 demo and finally became a full on power metal band on the Pounded For Our Sins album. I propose changing their genre to gothic/doom/death metal (early, power metal (later). Please, listen to the complete Pounded For Our Sins album on Youtube and also to a song"Hands On The Wall" from the first album Days Of Doom.
Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjcXkA4kKlY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSNYqt1vkGE
https://ok.ru/video/1557529976


Band: Bride
Spoiler: show
Visitor wrote:
Regarding the musical genre, Bride's last heavy metal album was Silence Is Madness from 1989. They have changed their style to hard rock on the Kinetic Faith album in 1991 and continued in that musical style ever since, first with some blues infliences, then with some Nu-metal influences as rapping in some songs. So, the genre should be changed to heavy metal (early), hard rock (later). Proof: Read the Angelic Warlord review of Kinetic Faith: http://www.angelicwarlord.com/reviews/b/bride91.html https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A48JiaHmgw
Listen to the whole Kinetic Faith album, the songs are interlinked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o98rbfDUAVQ https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P9BCrY_PrG
Source:
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/reviews/b/bride91.html
Listen to the whole Snakes In The Playground album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A48JiaHmgw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o98rbfDUAVQ https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P9BCrY_PrG


Band: Devilish Impressions
Spoiler: show
NekrussNox wrote:
As I already suggested last year (and posted at MA forum as was required in this report https://www.metal-archives.com/report/v ... 55106), Devilish Impressions never played "Symphonic" Metal.

"Simulacra" is their only album that has a highlighted use of keyboards and synths. In all other albums, keyboards and synths are used as secondary elements.
The "Eritis Sicut Deus" demo and the "Plurima Mortis Imago" album are very experimental and avant-garde sounding records. "Diabolicaons" is also somewhat experimental (in some songs), but mostly very straightforward Black/Death Metal. Their new album "The I" is epic/atmospheric.

I suggest to use "Experimental Black/Death Metal" to unify all of the above, because the band literally makes each new album a musical experiment which mixes various styles and elements.
Source:
From "The I":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeJKjIhon6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj_iy0ry30U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6feb0OlaEro

"Diabolicanos" full stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhiPkrignjs

From "Plurima Mortis Imago":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAwVKT_FUlU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA6farws5eM

From "Eritis Sicut Deus" demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OISf2cpTe90


Band: Disinfected
Spoiler: show
cepit wrote:
More precisely listed as brutal death metal.
Source:
Taken from full-length album (2000): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4SrZOGGrVVg
Taken from EP album (2005): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ISyvF8bCct8
Taken from split album (2012): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QXVfbN2MwtQ


Band: Edelweiss
Spoiler: show
Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
In addition to my reports to remove the material released as Sturmflagge, I don't really think the current field accurately encapsulate all of Edelweiss's discography.

RAC describes "Der Kampf geht weiter" most accurately along with elements of Thrash Metal, Groove Metal, Hardcore and Heavy Metal.

The most unequivocally Metal album is "Absolution" with its mix of Death Metal, Thrash Metal and Hardcore.

"Auf dem..." and "Evangelium" are where things get weird. Both are along the lines of Hardcore Punk, Black Metal, Groove Metal, Industrial Metal and Electronica at times. The instrumentation on "Evangelium" is particularly jarring with these crescendoing synths and keyboards. I don't know if the guy was trying to be Avant-Garde, but sheesh, he didn't stick to one genre on the later albums.

I didn't bother posting the intros/outros on "Evangelium" since they're ultimately irrelevant to the basis of the album's sound.
Source:
"Der Kampf geht weiter":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQiYXLsU8O4 (Thrash / Hardcore)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1ixYfBcG6Gx (Thrash / Heavy / RAC)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0CxjytxEznM (Heavy / RAC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDS2nYaubwU& (RAC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuS_YCM2Smk (RAC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MhEMBMVqNQ& (RAC)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1F9iChLMHbS (Hardcore / Groove)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVqNa5KmG_4 (RAC)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1DBRWC1dgbF (Groove / Thrash)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypXQKM8Bdv0 (Hardcore / RAC / Thrash)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s03N2grPv6l9 (Hardcore)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhRs_urYt-g (Thrash / RAC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVBvSQ81isU (RAC)

"Absolution":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1UxeHsy40 (Thrash / Death / Groove)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua4lES_yi5M (Thrash)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s10Ygi8xGK6h (Thrash / Hardcore / Heavy)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0driTV7TMl8 (Groove / Hardcore)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0le2DCLVkpZ (Thrash / Groove)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgoO-sZBEUQ (Thrash / Hardcore)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2CilfUg-ec (Thrash / Hardcore)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ-ijMrEvSE (Thrash / Hardcore / Death)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0rLXQv0nOjy (Death / Thrash)

"Auf dem Weg zur Macht":
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1wAaK9RpLuy (Thrash / Hardcore / Death)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s184we1FURjt (Heavy Ballad / Death / Groove)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0gKU4gGnZaB (Thrash / Electronica)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1Teos3yH2iB (Thrash / Ballad)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0qxDNJlb90l (Blackened Thrash / Hardcore)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0i5OHcRXRks (Groove / Heavy)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1lbJAeZRPCC (Ballad)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0dSJldop6zg (Electronica)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1usf03RoXAp (Death / Thrash)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0K0Sn1S4sKI (Hardcore / Thrash)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1DOjBaM276E (Thrash)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0O9e0cvlDiY (Electronica)

"Evangelium":
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1dmEuj4SdTE (Groove / Hardcore / Thrash)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1w98jiIoLCM (Blackened Hardcore)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0Mm6kOp5PTp (Hardcore / Thrash)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV1yOcEGKSo (Thrash / Death)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s14BrpyQeUE7 (Death / Hardcore / Thrash)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0rNLD48spFQ (Death / Black / Avant-Garde)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s08eNySddKiA (Death / Groove / Avant-Garde)
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1kYOCk5FUx3 (Industrial / Groove / Thrash / Avant-Garde)


Band: Escvro
Spoiler: show
Vtrpira wrote:
Escvro released a new EP and can be categorized now as a Black/Death Metal band.
Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIXFgHgmnKQ


Band: Gravkväde
Spoiler: show
rasmuskvist wrote:
the genre is depressive black/funeral doom metal
Source:
https://gravkvde.bandcamp.com/releases


Band: Israfel
Spoiler: show
Auselesspileofflesh wrote:
Either deathcore or brutal deathcore would be a more accurate description of the band's music.
Source:
https://israfelalbany.bandcamp.com/releases


Band: Kadaverdisciplin
Spoiler: show
narsilianshard wrote:
Probably should be Melodic Black Metal considering they're a carbon copy of Naglfar.
Source:
https://hammerheart.bandcamp.com/album/death-supremacy


Band: Obastra
Spoiler: show
GuardAwakening wrote:
this isn't remotely close to brutal death

genre is fine how it is just remove the word "brutal"
Source:
https://obastra.bandcamp.com


Band: MadDög
Spoiler: show
Visitor wrote:
Black/speed metal is a more fitting genre for Maddög, since their style is similar to other recent black/speed metal bands like Evil Night, Barbarian, Diabolic Night or Sodomizer. Please, listen to the complete album "The Dirty Singles" at Youtube for validation:
Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwHMSUa4EY


Band: Ogre
Spoiler: show
GuardAwakening wrote:
This isnt brutal death

In fact listening to this, the genre is very hard to determine

Id call this "experimental black/death metal"

maybe? unless a moderator has a better idea of what to label this, i am unsure but that is as good as i can get to what the band sound like they play.
Source:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=RPCY2I9EG-g
https://youtube.com/watch?v=hCY25JHvSQE
https://youtube.com/watch?v=eO8Vjd-rRIo


Band: Zarkasmo
Spoiler: show
DeathRipper666 wrote:
There's melodic stuff in their music (mostly appreciated in the intro of the song "Annihilation of the World"). The vocals are really growls as well. And the drums are constantly blast beats and doubles bass as well (mostly appreciated in the song ("Herederos de Odio").This is surely Melodic Brutal Death Metal.
Source:
https://www.reverbnation.com/zarkasmo
_________________
islwnd wrote:
Grow the fuck up and mind your own business.

Top
 Profile  
OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:42 am
Posts: 2588
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:11 am 
 

Megalodon_ wrote:
Report.

I would change Moon's genre to Raw/Atmospheric Black Metal.

On Caduceus Chalice (2010), the vocals have a lot of reverb as many of their releases do, however the keyboard use, which is also usually very prominent, takes a slight backseat and when it does appear it is mainly used to accent the guitar riffs. The riffs themselves are heavy and raw. Listen here.

Render of the Veils (2014) is more atmospheric with even more reverb on the vocals and a more intense use of keyboards. The drums are very far back in the mix while the guitars are a bit more forward, and songs are riff-based warranting a raw black metal tag. Listen here.

Overall, I'd say their releases are a blend of Raw and Atmospheric Black Metal and not a one-or-the-other deal.

Done
_________________
Uncolored, commenting on Erosion of Humanity's allergies wrote:
Your house in Chicago is possessed by Unholy Virus
PhilosophicalFrog, making accurate statements as usual, wrote:
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Top
 Profile  
Bachstein
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:49 am
Posts: 89
Location: Hungary
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:56 am 
 

Bachstein wrote:
Hi mods,

I think that Sisyphean's genre should be changed to Post-Black/Death Metal. Regarding their full-length album, I hear quite a lot post themes and post-components that add a typical "post-like floating feeling" to their black/death sound from my point of view. Their LP can be checked below;
https://sisyphean.bandcamp.com/

Waiting for your kind comment about the genre.


Bumping this post.

Top
 Profile  
Storm of the Light's Bane
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:16 pm
Posts: 602
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:52 pm 
 

Krull's genre should be "Heavy/Power Metal" instead of just "Heavy Metal" as there is plenty of power metal in this.
https://krullofficial.bandcamp.com/
_________________
BastardHead wrote:
RakdosWarlord wrote:
So are any tracks available yet for listening?


Yeah there are actually four albums' worth of preview tracks dating back to 2010.

Top
 Profile  
OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:42 am
Posts: 2588
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:59 pm 
 

Storm of the Light's Bane wrote:
Krull's genre should be "Heavy/Power Metal" instead of just "Heavy Metal" as there is plenty of power metal in this.
https://krullofficial.bandcamp.com/

Done.
_________________
Uncolored, commenting on Erosion of Humanity's allergies wrote:
Your house in Chicago is possessed by Unholy Virus
PhilosophicalFrog, making accurate statements as usual, wrote:
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Top
 Profile  
Midnight Rider
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:07 pm
Posts: 260
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:00 pm 
 

Starseeker wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Tribulation/39589

Their early stuff was Black/Death Metal in veins of Necrophobic and so on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29SbrvTmVgA
However, now they play a mix of early Dissection-like melodic black metal with gothic rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvJQGOFltSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNZgqxAxaj4

Genre changed to "Death/Black Metal (early), Gothic/Heavy Metal with Black Metal Influences (later)"

The "early" label stands for "The Horror" and "Formulas of Death", the "later" for "The Children of the Night" and "Down Below".

Top
 Profile  
Bachstein
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:49 am
Posts: 89
Location: Hungary
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:06 pm 
 

Midnight Rider wrote:

The "early" label stands for "The Horror" and "Formulas of Death", the "later" for "The Children of the Night" and "Down Below".


I do not know whether this topic has been brought up or not, but what about giving a specific time period in such cases? Like Death/Black Metal(2005- cca. 2013) / Gothic/Heavy Metal with Black Metal Influences (2015-)

So the visitors can instantly connect a genre to a specific album in the discography.

Or is it a stupid suggestion?

Top
 Profile  
Midnight Rider
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:07 pm
Posts: 260
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:57 pm 
 

Well, it's an approximate. After all, we try to balance simplicity and complexity so we can give the user a general idea of the band's sound covering every album (hopefully).

I'm discarding some third-tier genres present on Tribulation's discography aswell (thrash metal being present on the first album, prog rock, psychedelic rock, and so on...)

Tribulation evolved with each album released, so a time-period genre description is a bad idea. A genre-per-album is not a stupid suggestion but it has been discussed before on the forums.

Top
 Profile  
Bachstein
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:49 am
Posts: 89
Location: Hungary
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:21 am 
 

Midnight Rider wrote:
A genre-per-album is not a stupid suggestion but it has been discussed before on the forums.


Yeah, I can see the possible problems and hassle with that. Thanks for your reply.

Top
 Profile  
Hanten Kurosu
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:21 pm
Posts: 17
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:45 am 
 

I know I'm not the first one to say it, but Equilibrium is not Viking Metal. Viking Metal is a style that spawned from Black Metal (Bathory, Enslaved, Demonaz, Borknagar...), which are bands that are only related to Equilibrium through some lyrics, which would make Amon Amarth Viking Metal (and it has been said on this site how that's dumb). There's barely any music relation between this and Viking Metal. I've seen the tag Extreme Epic Folk Metal recommended before, and I agree it'd fit them better than Viking Metal.

This is Equilibrium:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yom8nNqmxvQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bYMAgM42pM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYoB2Tj3LR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHy81GG6k2o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DiJw9wIibw

This is Folk Metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufA3QWzh3Bc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlBxE2zVnQA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPx8hUiCAs4

This is Viking Metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivCnFkjd8U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7xHIbe ... Jj2GdilhsE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYdL67i4S-A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjFqjsnVUUs

Top
 Profile  
Hanten Kurosu
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:21 pm
Posts: 17
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:48 am 
 

I think maybe Sonata Arctica was labelled as Melodic Power Metal at some point, but I think it should be called that, at least from a certain year (I haven't listened to the their whole discography).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1zkXdqcajk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfI8o_hzaDk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I54AtTNkIXk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HN7NgzIV7w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kObI4XuTR2o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUszotxuwGo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKpXnb2JxUk
(I could go on)

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 8884
Location: Elgin, Illinois
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:08 am 
 

re: Equilibrium: I'm of the mindset that "If it doesn't sound like mid-era Bathory, it's not viking metal" (aesthetics have never defined genres (by our standards at least) so lyrical themes don't factor into this equation here), so I support changing Equilibrium to simply "Epic Folk Metal". In total honesty I thought they already were tagged as such. Looks like it's been tagged that way since at least V2 launched, so it's likely just a holdover from a decade ago when folk metal was at its peak and there was some confusion as to what certain bands should be tagged as and nobody ever bothered to change it. Looks like there's a handful of wrong genre reports over the years but they're mostly from notably thick/irritating users who made mountains out of molehills and none of them were contesting the viking tag anyway. I won't lonewolf it since they're such a big band but I will throw 100% support behind this change and will probably make fun of anybody who protests.

re: Sonata Arctica: Eh, "Melodic Power Metal" seems redundant since power metal is melodic by default and to my knowledge it's never really been pushed to such a superlative that it became a distinct thing and necessitated its own genre (like death metal for example, because all death metal is brutal to some extent but some bands clearly pushed the brutality to such extremes that "brutal death metal" became its own defined sound/scene, with Devourment and Cephalotripsy being very immediately different from Deicide and Morbid Angel, and I don't think power metal has any sort of equivalent regarding melody). The major change SA underwent after Reckoning Night was really more just that they slowed down and focused more on hooks than intensity, if anything their sense of melody has been the most stable constant. Ecliptica really isn't any more or less melodic than Pariah's Child. I know we're kind of inconsistent on tagging very similar bands with the two tags (just on the top bands showcased on SA's page you have 4 listed as Melodic Power Metal and 6 as Power Metal) so you may have a point either way that we need some clarity on that. Melodic Power Metal should probably be either cleaned up or more distinctly separated from the parent genre. We've got a lot on our plate at all times so it's not exactly a high priority but it's probably worth discussing amongst ourselves at the very least.
_________________
Don't forget to vote in the MA Album of the Year 2018 Poll!
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Wombripper - From the Depths of Flesh
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Derigin and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group