Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:05 am 

I have here a valid query regarding point mongering, in this case, the accidental, impromptu kind.

See, sometimes, I slip up whilst writing a review, and, having scribe status, rarely - but it's happened once or twice already, press the publish button and go "OK", asleep at the wheel as I am. The other day I did so after having only written an intro paragraph for Boulder's Reaped In Half - a guitar-God masterpiece, btw - before realizing my booboo and rectifying it post-haste (it's still excitably ruminating in my drafts). The system gave me 5 un-earned points.

How do you fix that kind of thing, or give 'em back? It's sort of bugging me...

Also, at times, I'll transcribe lyrics to an album, but because I'm doing so by ear - a task at the best of times, as I'm sure most will agree - simply do one, perhaps two or three, at a time, thus earning one pt. for each individual track or session, as opposed to just the standard one (1 pt) for the whole thing. I'm aware 10 pts is a bit much for 10 songs' lyrics, but then again, it almost feels like it's deserved, what with the transcribing/rewinding/auditory hallucination hampering work at play. Obviously, of course, a "copy & paste" approach is certainly not worthy of such point(s) amplitude...

Any thoughts on the matter, or helpful feedback is most welcome!

(Mild castigations accepted, albeit within reason!).

Chair

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:09 am 

First of all: NEVER add lyrics by what you hear. NEVER EVER. Either you type down what has been made public by the band (booklet) or copy-paste it from an official source (their homepage, facebook...). If the band hasn't published the lyrics to their songs, don't add guesswork you might've gotten by ear, even though it might be correct.

Second: Why don't you type them down in Word/Wordpad or whatever other text program your computer has, save them locally until you can add them all at once? Adding lyrics one by one is considered point-whoring and might lead to you getting points docked or (if you ignore our warnings) to you getting banned.

As for the review thing, as long as it's a mistake that happens once in a blue moon, I doubt anyone would call you out on that or something. If you want to give back the points anyway, Az or Derigin could do that, I guess.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:19 am 

I take it the ole auditory hallucination factor is too much of a risk/liability to take, eh? No problem, then, I'll abscond from super diligent and neurotic, obsessive lyrical (re) transcribing in the future (the mordacious emoj can go here!).

Good point for the Word/Wordpad deal, though, I'm pretty absent-minded for not figuring that one out sooner.

The mistaken, rash publishing thing, I believe I did twice in all, so feel free - Az or Derigin - to dock ten (10) points from my record.

Thanks for the input, albeit a castigating one (as mildly expected).

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:28 pm 

I ain't gonna dock points for an honest mistake. :D

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:28 pm 

Cool, thanks. I'll simply keep my eye on the page better from now on (as well as restrict personal lyrical interpretations to my reviews only i.e. odd quoted verse or chorus here and there).

(Ha, I'm always distressed by the fact the "delete" button is so close to the "publish" button, which itself sits right next to the "preview" one...)

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:54 am 

another report from the time machine, https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Stormrider added guesswork lineup on https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Davidian/122815 's debut demo. he basically added the only members listed for the band (at the time) on all three demos. I only have the first, which I updated, but I'm guessing* the other two are also bogus :/ he was knighted, as well :/

*the irony's not lost on me

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:31 am 

Stormrider is a former mod and is very trustworthy, highly doubt it's guesswork. More likely that it was a genuine mistake.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:24 am 

From time tag 2019-06-05 13:44:00 to 2019-06-05 14:04:05 in his modification history, this guy added a bunch of translations for Spanish band names. Not sure if this is considered point whoring, but I thought this kind of "X means Y in language Z" stuff in the notes was generally frowned upon (I have seen it removed from many band pages and additional notes over the years). Many of the translations hardly serve a purpose:

"Vómito Negro means "Black Vomit" in Spanish."
"Cacofonía means "Cacophony" in Spanish."
"Altar de Sacrificio means "Altar of Sacrifice" in Spanish."

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:23 am 

I'm no authority on this matter, but I find the translations are often useful. It saves me from having to translate myself, or I learn what the band name means when I would probably never have bothered finding out otherwise. I think they serve a purpose.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:42 am 

HouseSpiders wrote:
I'm no authority on this matter, but I find the translations are often useful. It saves me from having to translate myself, or I learn what the band name means when I would probably never have bothered finding out otherwise. I think they serve a purpose.

I tend to agree personally (especially when it comes to names written in Cyrillic or, for example, Japanese characters), but I recall a forum conversation from many years ago where a mod advised against adding this type of translation to each and every band name or song title in a given language, plus I've seen these translations getting removed from a lot of band pages. That's why I thought I'd bring it to their attention and I'm curious to see what the current stance on translations is while we're at it, but I don't mind which way they decide to go.

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:44 pm 

Well, what HouseSpiders said is a fact but I understood you point too, Duisterling.

I'm not authority either, but looking for puto_slayer's contributions she/he does not seem to do that for pointwhoring.

EDIT: On the other hand It's true that sometimes seems to be unnecessary such translations like "Altar de Sacrificio"...

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:40 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... /id/698648

The user who added the lyrics did so one by one, and having looked at his modification history, he does so on other albums.

The user who added the line-up got it badly wrong and clearly guessed it. While I cannot confirm the line-up with an official source, I can confirm that Soazig did not perform on that album and was not a full-time member - she performed guest soprano vocals on the last track of the first album. I have listened to the second album over several times and never once heard any soprano. He also added the wrong bassist. I messaged the band on Facebook.

''Hello FT-17. Is Soazig still a member of the band, or did she just participate on the last track of the first album? And Zymurgh, is he a guest or member?''
''Hello. Soazig is indeed a guest. Zymurgh was the bassist on the first album.''

The same user also added the line-up for this album, which looks dumped from an already incorrect line-up on the bandpage which does not match that of their Facebook... added by the same user. Just a quick look on their Facebook page is enough to see there are not multiple drummers.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:02 am 

Not so much a point whore, but just someone that could use a heads up. This newer user has been making decent reports, but he keeps assigning them to himself as soon as he creates them, meaning they disappear from the main queue and never get worked on. This is the third time I've gone through and unassigned his stuff so that it gets put back into the queue. If a mod can just let him know not to assign the reports, things should be alright.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:39 am 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
Not so much a point whore, but just someone that could use a heads up. This newer user has been making decent reports, but he keeps assigning them to himself as soon as he creates them, meaning they disappear from the main queue and never get worked on. This is the third time I've gone through and unassigned his stuff so that it gets put back into the queue. If a mod can just let him know not to assign the reports, things should be alright.

Notified.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:59 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/thetruechaby added a note on https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... enkse/2331 's profile that he and FN founded a one-man band from New York :/

he also does a lot of edits where he simply moves roles in one field...

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:01 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Dr_Zed
I don't know why he has to edit albums up to 10 times before his work is done...

EDIT: Well, here's the best example of it yet... he is definitely doing it on purpose...
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... /id/439162

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:18 pm 

wow. read the notes on his profile for a more comprehensive story... :D

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:23 pm 

Haha yes... one way to pretend you haven't read a warning... such a tone is a red flag anyway... you'd think after having received enough to write that, he would know the rules better.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:55 pm 

Not to mention his homepage is a Russian music warez forum.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:01 pm 

Huh, Dr_Zed is still around? I thought he was banned a while ago lol, guess I was wrong. Warned, let me know if he continues as he'll likely get a ban.

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:51 am 

MorbidEngel wrote:
Dr_Zed history

This is ridiculous...

Spoiler: show

4,000 of 6,033 entries of shit.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:49 am 

I wouldn't be surprised if he stops when he reaches metal freak. He's very close - much closer than he deserves to be.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:02 am 

Only if we let him reach that ;)

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:50 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/deathmetal69_
Main lineup -> album lineup. I'm pretty sure he's doing this blindly.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:56 am 

This user flags reports all in Portuguese. Although the updates seem legitimate, he should be schooled regarding the language.

E.g. 1
E.g. 2
E.g. 3
E.g. 4

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:43 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/AgeOfTheWiccans

This user has been brought up several times before for making incorrect changes for things like rpm and catalog numbers and they're still at it.

Ferneyhough brough this one up before in this thread and changed it back to how it should be but AOTW reversed it in May
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/L ... ice/420148

I went through a bunch of his recent edits and corrected ones on releases that I own or can verify with pictures on discogs.

untappd: patrick_g

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:47 am 

thanks to https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Like_Rats, we now have Bob Dylan on the archives! https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Bob_Dylan/801510 woo-hoo! there must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief...

I'm not sure about https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... ook/783743, either. lovely fella tho.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:13 am 

The split with Ministry does really exists and Peter Hook has co-produced it, sot it is qquite logical, that he gers a credit in the database for that, the same as the producers of old Black sabbath albums, who also did not do only metal bands. Please, see here: https://www.discogs.com/Peter-Hook-Mini ... e/10705436
https://www.post-punk.com/peter-hook-an ... backwards/

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:18 am 

he produced his own "side", not ministry's, which is a bit of a stretch, if you ask me, even if "technically" legit...

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:24 am 

Removed Bob Dylan. I remember Sting was also on here having been credited for lyrics (Police cover). Deri removed him.
Songwriting credits aren't to be treated like this. Cover songs are cover songs, the musicians who wrote them shouldn't be listed under "Misc. staff".

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:08 am 

can smn ask https://www.metal-archives.com/users/metaldude19 where he gets his lineups from? he's also being a bit overzealous, adding band members with instrument credits under misc staff: https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/680406

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:19 am 

aloof wrote:
thanks to https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Like_Rats, we now have Bob Dylan on the archives! https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Bob_Dylan/801510 woo-hoo! there must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief...

I'm not sure about https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... ook/783743, either. lovely fella tho.

As for the first guy:
Antioch wrote:
Removed Bob Dylan. I remember Sting was also on here having been credited for lyrics (Police cover). Deri removed him.
Songwriting credits aren't to be treated like this. Cover songs are cover songs, the musicians who wrote them shouldn't be listed under "Misc. staff".

^this.

As for the second guy: On splits we only archive the musicians and staff that contribute to the metal band's side, not the ones for the unlisted band. Exception would be collaborations, but that's a different story. There all musicians and stuff should be listed.
Since Hook only produced his side (judging by the scans of the vinyl label on Discogs), he shouldn't be listed here.

Both are removed now and the user got a message about it.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:02 am 

thanks for the clarifications :)

///

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/TalksToToads : newb, lyrics 1b1

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:20 pm 

David Pata666 needs to be stopped immediately.
He's working on this page:
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ca ... 3540313007
So it should be cleaned up. Invalid releases and whatnots.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:52 pm 

Antioch wrote:
David Pata666 needs to be stopped immediately.
He's working on this page:
So it should be cleaned up. Invalid releases and whatnots.

Warned by Storm of the Light's Bane.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:54 pm 

aloof wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/users/TalksToToads : newb, lyrics 1b1

Warned.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

~Guest 318854
Rare Earth Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:59 am 

He did the same again:

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:12 pm 

ThStealthP wrote:

Final warning addressed. Albums removed

~Guest 318854
Rare Earth Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:17 pm 

Perfect.

~Guest 318854
Rare Earth Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:40 pm 

Ban it:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 120  Next