Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:42 pm 

Spider_X wrote:
Unsure if it should be worried about 4 points or not, but when updating 4 band pages I had written this in the Additional Notes tab: "Also available digitally through Winter Sky Records' Bandcamp page." ~ I went back to Winter Sky Records' Bandcamp page just to make sure I had everything correct, and then I noticed that WSR does his just like Fólkvangr Records'... sets their digital versions to an astronomical, high amount! I guess to better support the artists independantly.

So, that is totally my fault, I did not catch that at all when initially looking things over (when I should have) ~ so, unsure (again) if it matters or not, but I think that was 4 points, so if some points need to be taken away, I completely understand. Mentioning this, so any Mod that were to catch this understands what had happened.

The links however should stay up though, because that is where he is also selling the cassettes.

I would say relax. Everyone makes mistakes. Derigin has already confirmed officially that you're not a point-whore. Reporting yourself shows great honesty, but the mods never care about 4 points earned through honest mistakes.

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:38 pm 

Spider_X wrote:
...Bandcamp digital versions...

I want to tell you Bandcamp was founded in 2008, so I've changed the date of the versions you added to unknown: https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... d/id/11050

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:08 pm 

What HouseSpiders said is correct, Spider_X. You're a good user and you've earned your rank. We're not concerned about veteran users making repeat edits - the attention to detail and getting it right is great. Between that and your willingness to work with others, you have nothing to worry about - there's honestly a ton of leeway when we know you're acting with good and productive intent.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:48 am 

0th wrote:
Spider_X wrote:

I want to tell you Bandcamp was founded in 2008, so I've changed the date of the versions you added to unknown: https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... d/id/11050

I've now made a note of that, thank you 0th. :)

And, also to everyone else who has directed a reply to my comment, thank you, you guys are great! Much love and respect! :)

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:47 am 

Spider_X wrote:
0th wrote:

I've now made a note of that, thank you 0th. :)

And, also to everyone else who has directed a reply to my comment, thank you, you guys are great! Much love and respect! :)

If the date presented on bandcamp is obviously not the date it was put on bandcamp, you can always check the site's source code and look for "publish_date" which is the date the page was set to public.

General rules for that:
If the release date is obviously false (like anything pre2008)-> go with the publish_date.
If the release date is after the publish date, it most likely was up for pre-orders and the shown release date should be used unless the band screwed up and had all songs already fully available in the pre-order, in which case the publish_date should be used. The latter case is obviously only valid if you catch it while the pre-orders are still up, I don't think there's a way of finding that out afterwards. An additional note in those cases might be useful, too.

I tend to always check the source code when adding bandcamp stuff, in case there's something of interest. Just be careful and use some common sense ;)

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:19 am 

marcelle_crss has continued to modify lyrics in unnecessary and inaccurate ways. See this Angra album (https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... works/1670) where he switched up some lyrics to include every single time a chorus is heard and tried to rewrite the line formatting in a verse to accommodate what it sounds like it would be.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:52 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
marcelle_crss has continued to modify lyrics in unnecessary and inaccurate ways. See this Angra album (https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... works/1670) where he switched up some lyrics to include every single time a chorus is heard and tried to rewrite the line formatting in a verse to accommodate what it sounds like it would be.

The trash has been taken out.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:00 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... kes/725974

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/UnderTheMoon

Could someone give UnderTheMoon a friendly reminder that if he wants to mark a track as an instrumental, you have to click the corresponding box on the edit screen that says instrumental instead of putting "(instrumental)" in the lyrics? Also ask him if he has the rest of the lyrics to Grave Mounds and Grave Mistakes and if he can add them in one sitting as to avoid looking like he's point whoring.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:14 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A_Forest_of_Stars/Grave_Mounds_and_Grave_Mistakes/725974

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/UnderTheMoon

Could someone give UnderTheMoon a friendly reminder that if he wants to mark a track as an instrumental, you have to click the corresponding box on the edit screen that says instrumental instead of putting "(instrumental)" in the lyrics? Also ask him if he has the rest of the lyrics to Grave Mounds and Grave Mistakes and if he can add them in one sitting as to avoid looking like he's point whoring.

Done-zo.

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:24 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/AXExTOxGRIND666
The user adds lots of invalid releases

perzine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:44 pm 

Apologies if this has already been raised, but I've noticed a number of instances of artist pages including links to their personal social media pages. I have reported them when I've seen them...

https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/652421

...but I was wondering whether this could be added to the list of site-clean-up tasks? Or, could the rules be altered to refer to the inappropriateness of adding links to personal social media pages to artist pages? Lots of people seem to think this is fine, for some reason.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:14 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/niemand777

adding lyrics one track at a time

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:36 pm 

^Notified.

niemand777
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:32 am 

I don’t give a shit about your stupid points, I didn’t even know there were any points at all, you can take off all of them if you want. I just saved one by one in case I don’t have the time to copy all lyrics from the booklet in a row. I just like the lyrics to be here so I can copy them to my mobile device and this is the site I usually do it from. I don’t care of being the one adding them, it doesn’t amuse me. Guess I’ll be keeping them for myself from now on.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:46 am 

niemand777 wrote:
I don’t give a shit about your stupid points, I didn’t even know there were any points at all, you can take off all of them if you want. I just saved one by one in case I don’t have the time to copy all lyrics from the booklet in a row. I just like the lyrics to be here so I can copy them to my mobile device and this is the site I usually do it from. I don’t care of being the one adding them, it doesn’t amuse me. Guess I’ll be keeping them for myself from now on.

I’m sorry you’re upset, man. We really do appreciate your contributions to the site, along with the contributions of every honest contributor. If you sincerely don’t know or care about the points, that’s fine to us (and in some ways it’s preferable). The thing is that point rankings control users’ access to the database. Imagine somebody who makes many edits one save at a time, all to rack up points quickly so that they can maliciously edit information about a band they’re in, or vandalize the website. We obviously don’t want that, and so there’s been the need to implement certain policies - policies that apply to everyone - that safeguard against that. That’s how we make things fair for everyone, whether they care about the points or not. You’re not in serious trouble, it’s just a notification that you shouldn’t make edits that way in the future. I hope to see you continue contributing in the future. :)

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:38 pm 

In case Midnight hasn't already told you; save your lyrics on a Word document instead of typing them directly into MA, then copy and paste them all once you're done. This is also a much safer way - if something happens to the MA page as you're adding the lyrics, you have to start over. It's happened to me before.

Additionally: your notice is nothing serious, do not worry about it. Many new users add lyrics one by one for convenience, just like you were... it's very easy to tell apart good productive intention (your case) from actual point-whoring... and in the former, you'll be sent a friendly notification which politely points out your mistake, as opposed to a moderation warning. I don't know what Midnight wrote, but I assume your notice falls into the former category.

niemand777
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:44 am 

HouseSpiders wrote:
Additionally: your notice is nothing serious, do not worry about it. Many new users add lyrics one by one for convenience, just like you were... it's very easy to tell apart good productive intention (your case) from actual point-whoring... and in the former, you'll be sent a friendly notification which politely points out your mistake, as opposed to a moderation warning. I don't know what Midnight wrote, but I assume your notice falls into the former category.

Let’s say that while I appreciate the cordial tone of both of your messages HouseSpiders and MutantClannfear, I wouldn’t describe the notification (“official warning from the moderation” – lol) as especially “polite” or friendly, rather arrogant and clearly implying that I was “point-whoring”, a bit funny given my oh-so-huge amount of points. But yeah, no drama.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:36 am 

Sadly we encounter point-whoring idiots and vandals every single day and it's not always given whether or not their intentions are good or bad, or whether or not it was a mistake or done on purpose. Hence we usually tend to treat everyone the same. Rules are rules...and they apply to everyone. Who can't drive cross a red traffic light and get out of the trouble by saying "sorry officer, I wasn't actively doing that, I just didn't care."

And that advice with the word document is helpfull, keep that in mind. I do it the same way ;)

And by the way, a warning isn't that strict to be fair. As long as you don't continue doing the same thing over and over again, you'll be fine. Heck, I got several warnings in the past lol

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:42 am 

I usually make it a friendly notice at first, for lyrics at least where it's apparent that people are just trying to play it safe. I think the whoie point-whoring concept has become somewhat dated (not obsolete, though, sadly) and often it's not actually malicious. I'll let Midnight Rider know.

Thanks for contributing, niemand777.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:35 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
Sadly we encounter point-whoring idiots and vandals every single day and it's not always given whether or not their intentions are good or bad, or whether or not it was a mistake or done on purpose. Hence we usually tend to treat everyone the same.

You can never be certain, but when it comes to this particular subject, there are often clues. If a user adds lyrics with large gaps between timestamps, they are most likely typing the lyrics for each song manually and saving for convenience reasons, unaware of the rule... which I believe is why Azmodes is more lenient when it comes to lyrics. Shorter timestamps are a bit more suspicious.

Song lengths, on the other hand... there is no excuse to add them one by one, when it takes 10 seconds to add lengths for 10 songs with a single save. Short gaps between timestamps for song lengths... I can't imagine what else that could scream other than blatant point-whoring.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:32 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
You can never be certain, but when it comes to this particular subject, there are often clues. If a user adds lyrics with large gaps between timestamps, they are most likely typing the lyrics for each song manually and saving for convenience reasons, unaware of the rule... which I believe is why Azmodes is more lenient when it comes to lyrics. Shorter timestamps are a bit more suspicious.

Song lengths, on the other hand... there is no excuse to add them one by one, when it takes 10 seconds to add lengths for 10 songs with a single save. Short gaps between timestamps for song lengths... I can't imagine what else that could scream other than blatant point-whoring.

Or they keep long gaps to hide their point-whoring. I don't know and I don't care as long as they stop doing it after getting warned and maybe even explain why they did it.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:52 pm 

Quote:
Or they keep long gaps to hide their point-whoring. I don't know and I don't care as long as they stop doing it after getting warned and maybe even explain why they did it.

Fair enough, Paganius. To be honest, I'd never even thought of such a surruptitious point-whoring tactic. Not that it would be very effective, though... I'm struggling to imagine it being even a slightly common occurence... but then, no possibility can be ruled out.

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:38 am 

As I have written before:
viewtopic.php?p=2813744#p2813744
HeavierThanThou makes the same till now.
it concerns duplicating the misc line-up to additional notes and useless adding "bandcamp" to digital versions.
fresh examples here:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/M ... nce/734561
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/L ... thy/732387

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:39 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
General rules for that:
If the release date is obviously false (like anything pre2008)-> go with the publish_date.
If the release date is after the publish date, it most likely was up for pre-orders and the shown release date should be used unless the band screwed up and had all songs already fully available in the pre-order, in which case the publish_date should be used. The latter case is obviously only valid if you catch it while the pre-orders are still up, I don't think there's a way of finding that out afterwards. An additional note in those cases might be useful, too.

I tend to always check the source code when adding bandcamp stuff, in case there's something of interest. Just be careful and use some common sense ;)

Sorry I didn't reply back to this when you had written this; however I did read it, and understand that about Bandcamp... so, thank you! :) However, I do not know how to actually apply "publish_date"/ "source code" to how to actually see this? I tried tacking it on to the end of a specific Bandcamp band link, and it just takes me to a page that isn't there.

If you could maybe give me a linked example of what you mean, or how to actually do this; I would be so grateful :) As I am needing to add a digital release to a band on here, and the date shows 2002, which obviously isn't correct, and it may not be the same date as the physical release of it.

When you get a chance please, mind showing me what you mean?

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:08 pm 

^for example...

https://superchunk.bandcamp.com/album/i ... -1991-1995

Step #1:
Spoiler: show

Step #2:
Ctrl+F , then write this: Image

Step #3:
Identify the real date: Image

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:50 am 

Midnight Rider wrote:
^for example...

https://superchunk.bandcamp.com/album/i ... -1991-1995

Step #1:

Step #2:
Ctrl+F , then write this: Image

Step #3:
Identify the real date: Image

Thank you so much for not minding telling me all this; very much appreciate it :) But, maybe it's either cause I still use Windows 7, or, maybe I'm just not getting it ~ really I have no idea.... however, I do steps 1 and 2, but step 3 just simply doesn't happen; I get nothing at all :( I am probably still doing something wrong? I really dunno....

Including 2 images so you can see that I typed in the website as per step 1, and then you can see that also the words "publish_date" appears to the right of "Find", just right above the actual website page, as per step 2....

I have tried everything I can think of to get step 3 to happen, but the image you have for step 3, honestly, I am not seeing any of that, at all.

https://imgur.com/a/EP1GouF
https://imgur.com/a/Vgd4WSE

What am I doing wrong, please? I feel so stupid.... :(

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:40 am 

Spider_X, could you click the right button of the mouse anywhere on the page and make a screen shot/print screen of that? "view-source" doesn't seem to be doing what it's supposed to do. Your version of windows/internet explorer might be using another term.

Edit: Watch this for your browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niq4zHNLkuU
1. Chrome @00:20 (what MR said), 2. Internet Explorer @00:31 (the one you need)...

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm 

viewtopic.php?p=2816658#p2816658
the same sh.t does Cosmic Mystery too:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/S ... yer/729657
duplicating lineup and bandcamping digital versions
also adds artwork, photography, etc personnel to "recording info" field of additional notes, and I think it's wrong.
(now edited by me, however you can check an update history)

mods please send them reminder!!!

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:25 pm 

Antioch wrote:
Spider_X, could you click the right button of the mouse anywhere on the page and make a screen shot/print screen of that? "view-source" doesn't seem to be doing what it's supposed to do. Your version of windows/internet explorer might be using another term.

Edit: Watch this for your browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niq4zHNLkuU
1. Chrome @00:20 (what MR said), 2. Internet Explorer @00:31 (the one you need)...

Hey, Antioch! :) thank you so much; that video you linked was a massive help! Can't thank you enough! Works like a charm ;)

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:04 pm 

0th wrote:
Spider_X wrote:

Since I now know how to find the actual date release for Bandcamp :D I remembered you had made some edits to "unknown"; I went back just now to add the correct dates :) (which is: 04 Apr 2018)

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:11 am 

It seems Blackmore Forever should be notified about the titles capitalisation rules. Just came across his edits on this album's page.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:42 pm 

Shadechaser wrote:
https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?p=2816658#p2816658
the same sh.t does Cosmic Mystery too:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/S ... yer/729657
duplicating lineup and bandcamping digital versions
also adds artwork, photography, etc personnel to "recording info" field of additional notes, and I think it's wrong.
(now edited by me, however you can check an update history)

mods please send them reminder!!!

I also agree with Shadechaser on this.

Original edit by Cosmic Mystery on Oct.17 (doing the same thing as Shadechaser has mentioned):
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Wilt/Ruin/706860 (I have already just edited this, but like Shadechaser has also mentioned, you can check the update history).

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:34 am 

Spider_X, please don't add "bandcamp" to digital releases too.
example:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/S ... lia/740564
it's at least on Amazon and Google Play also:
https://www.amazon.com/Faunalia-Selvans ... ds=Selvans
https://play.google.com/store/music/alb ... oqb7psrqbi

Did anyone of almost 40 deeply respected moderators and a herd of metal knights find time to send them a friendly reminder? :)

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:04 am 

Shadechaser wrote:
Spider_X, please don't add "bandcamp" to digital releases too.
example:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/S ... lia/740564
it's at least on Amazon and Google Play also:
https://www.amazon.com/Faunalia-Selvans ... ds=Selvans
https://play.google.com/store/music/alb ... oqb7psrqbi

Did anyone of almost 40 deeply respected moderators and a herd of metal knights find time to send them a friendly reminder? :)

Understood. (Honestly, a force of habit, though ~ not meaning to disregard on purpose/ as I know it has been mentioned before.). :) Thank you for the reminder.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:07 am 

Shadechaser wrote:

1. Knight =/= staffer.
2. This won't change overnight, Shadechaser. Seeing that Diamhea stipulated clearly that Bandcamp should go into the version description field, many users still follow this rule. Others including me used to, too. It should change, yes, but +36,000 Bandcamp entries, +1200 Amazon entries, among other outlets, tell me the practice won't be easy to un-implement.

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:07 am 

Of course I understand it will take time.
The only thing I was asking for is to send a couple of messages to Cosmic Mystery and HeavierThanThou...
Quite frequently I edit albums added by them and these albums are predominantly of 2018.

As for Knights, by the way: what rights do they have?

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:02 pm 

Shadechaser wrote:
Of course I understand it will take time.
The only thing I was asking for is to send a couple of messages to Cosmic Mystery and HeavierThanThou...
Quite frequently I edit albums added by them and these albums are predominantly of 2018.

As for Knights, by the way: what rights do they have?

They can merge and delete artists and labels, close reports, send input requests and give points for good reports in addition to all the stuff metal freaks and higher can do.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:31 pm 

Not sure where exactly to ask about this, so I am hoping that here is o.k.?

I noticed something about a label and older digipak versions of a band, and while the digipak version itself has the catalog ID # of 042 on the cover spine, on the store website, the catalog ID # shows 042d.

So, what I'm wondering is if I need to just leave it as it already is on M-A? Or, should I add the 'd' at the end, to reflect what it's showing on the webstore? (There are only just a few digipak releases like this ~ only the older releases, not any of the newer ones.)

Maybe, this is something trivial and doesn't really matter; just was something I stumbled upon just now, and wanted to ask. Thanks! :)

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:20 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/kostas777711

Added the same two links twice in separate link sections (2018-10-15).

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:04 am 

O.k., so in going back to the topic of "Bandcamp" and adding it to the "Version Disc." field... if, if I know for a fact it is only available on Bandcamp and not anywhere else, I am going to assume that it would be alright to add "Bandcamp", as the version?

I added an album just now, with also adding that, as I know it's only available (at this present time) on Bandcamp only. If it is not o.k. for me to have added it, please let me know, and I will take it off. But, I am assuming it's o.k.(?), because I know that it's only on Bandcamp.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 120  Next