Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:36 pm 

Svenroot is adding lyrics to individual tracks from live albums that probably don't have published lyrics. Not sure if it's against the rules, just putting it out there.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:58 pm 

that's a whole issue. users copy paste lyrics from one release to another, unaware, or uncaring, if the song is edited, censored, has working lyrics, or the band break into another song halfway through (and it's uncredited)... :(

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:09 pm 

There's no explicit rule against adding lyrics to live albums that weren't specifically published for the recording, though the user should listen first in case of any occurence as described by aloof which alters the lyrics. I'll be sending him a warning anyway for adding lyrics one by one, and I'll mention the live issue in the same message.

EDIT: Done.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:06 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Vortiene

https://www.metal-archives.com/report/v ... 4/show/all

User adds lyrics by ear (see the report above). A friendly message may be enough for him to be schooled.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:13 pm 

I checked some of his other reports and it appears that wasn't the first case of him guessing lyrics. Friendly message sent.

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:02 am 

I've reported dozens of times duplicated digital album versions which only difference from initial self-released ones was that it's re-uploaded to bandcamp by some label.
those cases were 100% accepted by moderators and duplicates were successfully removed.
however today a couple of such reports had an other reaction from staff.
https://www.metal-archives.com/report/v ... 9832/show/
https://www.metal-archives.com/report/v ... 9830/show/
note that these versions are fully identical to initial ones.
it's not the case when something differs like cover art or bonus tracks.
it's just the byte-to byte copy from one bandcamp account to another.
date of such copying is so useless small detail that such multiplying entities is senseless for human society at all.
at least, I agree that we could add an additional note like "also released digitally by {some_label}" or "split release of {label_1} and {label_2", moreover that nothing more changes here.
can someone explain me the reason for changing policy today?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:01 pm 

I don't know who told you otherwise, but if it's by a different label and if it has a different date, then it would be a legit other version... even if it is digital.

If you run into cases where moderators have removed those types of versions, let me know and I'll talk with them.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:19 pm 

Derigin wrote:
I don't know who told you otherwise, but if it's by a different label and if it has a different date, then it would be a legit other version... even if it is digital.

If you run into cases where moderators have removed those types of versions, let me know and I'll talk with them.

Hey! :) So Derigin, I vaguely remember this being brought up a few months ago, with digital, so I just typed in my name (Spider_X) in the search field and was instantly directed to mine and your's conversation about this. So, I hope it's o.k. to re-inquire about this?

So, it is now o.k. to add (digital) versions, even if there already is one listed for 'said' album, but then there's another digital version, that is the same album with a dif label and dif date, so it's o.k. now to add these? Or, am I misunderstanding this?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:29 pm 

Well, here's the tricky thing, and we had a bit of a discussion among staff just now. And that discussion is admittedly ongoing.

When it comes to determining other versions, I think the idea behind it is to catalog versions that have any notable differences, and that those differences can include anything from cover art, tracklisting, whether it's official or not, who released it, release date, format, type, etc. The more differences, the greater the argument that it should be included as an other version. This is true for both physical and digital releases.

Now, with both physical and digital media, there are releases which are issued on multiple labels at the same time. In those cases, we've traditionally (and will continue) to maintain those releases as single versions. In the future, one day, we hope to have the option to list all labels on the release - a multiple label feature. Unfortunately, for the time being, we're stuck having to choose one of the labels as the version's main label, and including the rest in the additional notes. I say this is unfortunate because from a completionist's point of view it would be ideal to have all the label's metal releases listed on the label's page. The only way to do this is if an album version has the label as its "Label" field. Labels only mentioned in additional notes do not get included in this. The fact we include labels in additional notes is solely with the expectation that one day we'll have a way to include them in the "Label" field. This explains what we do with albums that have been released by multiple labels at the same time.

The tricky situation is what to do with an album that is originally released independently, or by another label, and then released at a later time by a totally different label... even if the release is identical or near identical. This is where things become a little less clear. You might think it's obvious; you separate them. But what if the release date is only off by a few days or a month? What if it's released by multiple labels over a week or a month or a few months? Where is the cut-off between considering a release as a release issued by multiple labels "at the same time" versus each release being its own independent version? Does the fact it's identical or near identical make a difference? And if that's the case, what happens with situations where a band reissues an identical release at different times, regardless as to whether it's on the same label or the difference in time is significant? What is "significant?" I don't really have the answers for this. I admit that I was one of those admins that left most decisions on "other versions" to Diamhea, so what I assumed is actual policy and practice might not have been the case.

I think, too, that we like to treat digital releases as wholly different here - especially with these questions - when I can guarantee we've had the same questions asked for physical releases. Digital releases get a lot of flak, perhaps because of how easy it is to distribute them, but beyond that the underlying differences aren't that much dissimilar between either style of distribution. A band may still independently release their album, label shop, and reissue it again via a label. The same is true if an album gets issued by multiple labels at the same time, or at varying times. That happens for both physical and digital releases.

What I said earlier *is* what is policy, or at least I assumed, but even among staff there's a desire to flesh this out a bit more. So I hate to say it, but please be patient while we discuss this and actually come to a concrete sense of what the actual practices of the "other version" feature have been, because sadly we never got to ask Diamhea how he handled that feature before he passed.

One thing to leave with, by the way, and that we are absolutely certain on, without question, is that distros don't qualify for other versions. With physical releases that's a given; you don't make a separate version if the album was issued at a gig, or at a store, or whatever. It's all the same version. With digital releases, the same applies but it may not be taken as a given yet. The same release being issued by multiple sources, whether that's Bandcamp, iTunes, or even Soulseek... wouldn't qualify as separate versions. In this case it's not the fact that it's on Bandcamp that matters, what matters is whether the change in label status combined with the different release dates is enough to qualify for another version. That's just something to keep in mind, too.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:20 pm 

thank you Derigin for long and boring exhaustive explanation! :)
it seems a bit strange that firstly you said that my position is definitely wrong, because later you shared with Spider_X (ok, and with all of us) that this item is still been discussed.
I'd like to emphasize once more that there's still no final decision within staff, and I'd like to ask you to think once more what are "notable differences".
if we may forget about business (because labels are just to make business, yep?), if we take a point of view of some band or musician, we will see one.sole.album. just distributed in different directions.
of course if band (sic! band!) makes notable changes (instrumental, remastered, with bonuses or at least other track order and artwork) - surely, it is a different version!
as for aforesaid versions. sometimes I see an album uploaded to Amazon a couple days later than to, say, Google Play: thus, should it be an other version? hope you'll say "no".
but please notice here I speak about at least different digital platforms, they are somewhat different labels too (that just make business, remember?).
Encyclopaedia Metallum is not a commercial place so we should speak of musical album, not of a commercial product.
if so, why should we consider aforesaid issues by label_1 and label_2 as different?!
all above is my own opinion, and I only ask you to take into account my arguments when talking within staff.

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:02 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/G ... 82u/798346
as far as I know we should add lineup to appropriate tab, except special cases (surely not this case).

+ digital version had "bandcamp" scripted to "version description field" again, although I was quite sure we had this conversation here for many times and finally agreed that this field is for another purposes.

I'm quite surprised that Metal lord did that.

Tlacaxipehualiztli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:49 am 

Next one to be banned:

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/namajeff

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:54 am 

Done.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:55 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/690151

Petrus_Steele , for future reference

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:28 pm 

Sent him a message (so did Midnight/HS). Let us know if he adds another bootleg.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:33 am 

Sorry for adding the bootlegs. I didn't realize the second album I tried to add was also a promo to a label, which is unacceptable as well. I guess I wasn't exactly aware of how a 'Bootleg' is being labeled, but I hope you're not confusing me for not reading the rules. Again, just not properly aware.

For future reference, I'll be cautious next time and refer to the specific thread in the forums and ask about a release.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:09 am 

you're lying, dude. didn't you yourself type "promotional release" in the notes of the one, and "unofficial" in the version description of the other? how were you not aware? are you sleeptyping?

*sorries for the post, but some things really reek of effort.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:36 am 

aloof wrote:
you're lying, dude. didn't you yourself type "promotional release" in the notes of the one, and "unofficial" in the version description of the other? how were you not aware? are you sleeptyping?

*sorries for the post, but some things really reek of effort.

Did you even read what I said before Storm of the Light's Bane closed the report, or you forgot that I found these bootlegs from Discogs and basically copied all of the information there?
Everything that I copied onto that bootlegs' pages were off the releases I found on Discogs.

As for the other bootleg I tried to add, I didn't realize it was ALSO labeled as a bootleg, yet it was also a promotional release which I thought at first was acceptable.

If you're going to accuse me of lying, at least prove it. There's nothing in my history that suggests me doing this on multiple occasions, let alone on purpose.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:24 pm 

Shadechaser wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Gruzja/Jeszcze_nie_mamy_na_was_pomys%C5%82u/798346
as far as I know we should add lineup to appropriate tab, except special cases (surely not this case).

+ digital version had "bandcamp" scripted to "version description field" again, although I was quite sure we had this conversation here for many times and finally agreed that this field is for another purposes.

I'm quite surprised that Metal lord did that.

I don't see anything wrong with the line-up. As for the other issue, it's better to leave such descriptions in the links on the bandpage or an additional note on the album if necessary (which it usually isn't), especially if the album is sold digitally on multiple platforms, but it's a really minor issue. With over 40k albums with ''Bandcamp'' listed in the description, we can't scold anyone for it. Maybe one day we'll clean them up.

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:26 am 

Midnightwards666 wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with the line-up. As for the other issue, it's better to leave such descriptions in the links on the bandpage or an additional note on the album if necessary (which it usually isn't), especially if the album is sold digitally on multiple platforms, but it's a really minor issue. With over 40k albums with ''Bandcamp'' listed in the description, we can't scold anyone for it. Maybe one day we'll clean them up.

I mean there's no need to add roles to the additional notes when they already are present in the line up. At least Porman sent me such a reminder many years ago. I guess this rule didn't change?

As for ''Bandcamp'', I always delete this word from version description, I sent e-mails to contributors if they have an address in their profile, I've raised this item many times here on forum.
I try to explain people that if they've seen an alum on bandcamp, it's oftenly also issued though, say, itunes, amazon etc.
Also, maybe it's time to discuss it among staff and then update rules about it?

So please send a reminder to PiotrB to prevent such newbie errors from him in future...

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:03 pm 

There is nothing wrong with his addition. The relevant information is that the album was mixed and mastered at Satanic Audio. It wasn't necessary to mention who by, but it's completely harmless. If the notes was limited to the redundant information which belongs elsewhere, that would be worthy of a friendly message... but that's not the case.

We had a staff discussion about the Bandcamp issue, and I hope there'll be an update one day. We can't monitor your private emails or messages, and while I know you simply want to help, I would like to remind you that you do not have any authority on how data should be submitted, therefore sending such messages is not your duty... especially when I, a moderator, don't think it's necessary. I would prefer it if users didn't submit data like that, but until any further updates are made and followed by subsequent clean-up, we can't really scold them for it.

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:47 pm 

Midnightwards666 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with his addition. The relevant information is that the album was mixed and mastered at Satanic Audio. It wasn't necessary to mention who by, but it's completely harmless. If the notes was limited to the redundant information which belongs elsewhere, that would be worthy of a friendly message... but that's not the case.

if so, why did other moderator has warned me about addidn this to additional notes?
https://imgur.com/a/HxyCh2M

Midnightwards666 wrote:
We had a staff discussion about the Bandcamp issue, and I hope there'll be an update one day. We can't monitor your private emails or messages, and while I know you simply want to help, I would like to remind you that you do not have any authority on how data should be submitted, therefore sending such messages is not your duty... especially when I, a moderator, don't think it's necessary. I would prefer it if users didn't submit data like that, but until any further updates are made and followed by subsequent clean-up, we can't really scold them for it.

so you want me to stop contacting users via e-mail?

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:39 pm 

Shadechaser wrote:
if so, why did other moderator has warned me about addidn this to additional notes?
https://imgur.com/a/HxyCh2M

That's a message, not a warning. It's fine to add "Mixed by Artist X at X Studio", and it's equally fine to write "Mixed at X Studio". See the relevant information. What he was probably referring to is writing "Mixed by Artist X" alone - that IS redundant because it's already in the line-up and there is no additional information to be found.

Shadechaser wrote:
so you want me to stop contacting users via e-mail?

All I would advise is that you know your role on the site. It's great to contact users with productive intentions, eg, finding out information about a particular band which you can use to contribute to the bandpage... however, contacting them to inform them of errors and transgressions in their edits is our job. When regular users try to do it for us, it can mislead users into thinking that you are in a position of authority when you are not, and it takes longer for us to clear up any misconceptions which may occur as a result than if the task had been left for us to handle. As I said, we obviously can't police your private emails, but it's better to post here and let the staff decide if the infraction is worthy of a message, warning, score deduction, ban or nothing. I try to ensure that all inquiries in this thread get a response.

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:55 am 

ok, thank you for explanations and for your patience.
however I guess staff are just people too and may do something wrong sometimes.
that is why I write here about such situations.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:50 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/BERZE/814131

This might be understood as a mere assumption, once I have no proof of it. But take it as you wish.

I must warn you that this user seems to be a vandal, adding Lord 7 Campas and Berzé to the same line up of the band 7 Peles, which is not official and not even confirmed by the band.

The scenario is that many years ago, Lord 7 Campas and Berzé have came into conflics mainly through a social platform Orkut, that no longer exists.

This lasted for quite a long time and now the user above seems to be making fun of it and vandalising.

Anyhow, a friendly message may be enough and moderators should keep an eye on him.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:13 pm 

Looks like he's already been sent a notification.
https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/691002

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:32 am 

Alright then, thank you! :wink:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:25 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/%E ... lgi%CA%9EK
Modification 2019-10-28 16:20:53

Should be informed that "not to be confused with" is for bands from one and the same country.

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:56 am 

Everyday I learn something new from here.

Thanks for the friendly notification, nice. :)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:55 am 

This user has added a good number of obviously guessed lyrical themes: https://www.metal-archives.com/users/whitefogphantom I have already warned him, but someone should clean it up. Thanks.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:24 am 

Azmodes wrote:
This user has added a good number of obviously guessed lyrical themes: https://www.metal-archives.com/users/whitefogphantom I have already warned him, but someone should clean it up. Thanks.

Done.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:52 pm 

Storm of the Light's Bane, may I ask why the additional note I added on Silvertomb's page was removed? Was it not objective enough, or perhaps incorrect?

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:07 pm 

Petrus_Steele wrote:
Storm of the Light's Bane, may I ask why the additional note I added on Silvertomb's page was removed?

The part about the line-up is unneeded.

Quote:
Was it not objective enough

You can't be serious. Did you ACTUALLY read it before copy and pasting it straight from their FB page and adding your opinion to the end of it?

Hint: No, it wasn't objective. Not even remotely: "into a bone-crushing, mind-blowing, sonic journey". In what world is that objective?

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:33 pm 

Storm of the Light's Bane wrote:
Petrus_Steele wrote:
Storm of the Light's Bane, may I ask why the additional note I added on Silvertomb's page was removed?

The part about the line-up is unneeded.

I see.

Storm of the Light's Bane wrote:
Petrus_Steele wrote:
Was it not objective enough

You can't be serious. Did you ACTUALLY read it before copy and pasting it straight from their FB page and adding your opinion to the end of it?

Hint: No, it wasn't objective. Not even remotely: "into a bone-crushing, mind-blowing, sonic journey". In what world is that objective?

No, I actually copied it from an article about the band when they announced their debut album. And yes, I've read it but it didn't strike me as a subjective point of view towards the band's sound.

Excuse me if it came off that way.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:12 pm 

You shouldn't be copy-pasting from other sites and dumping text in the additional notes. That's plagiarism, which is forbidden as listed in the first rule under the tab "General". Adjectives such as "mind-blowing" or "bone-crushing" are overly bombastic, clearly subjective and not suitable for band notes. If you want an idea of how a band sounds, we have the genre field, similar artists and reviews.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:32 am 

Midnightwards666 wrote:
You shouldn't be copy-pasting from other sites and dumping text in the additional notes. That's plagiarism, which is forbidden as listed in the first rule under the tab "General". Adjectives such as "mind-blowing" or "bone-crushing" are overly bombastic, clearly subjective and not suitable for band notes. If you want an idea of how a band sounds, we have the genre field, similar artists and reviews.

Okay, I see now. I always wanted to come up with my own notes that are actually objective and point towards the band's overall idea, I mean that's obviously the rule. But I thought if copying objective information from other sites isn't plagiarism/against the rules. I really need to revisit the rules and refresh my memory...

Thanks! I won't be doing any crap like this anymore. I guess I was too carried away with the excitement the band was added to the site.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:03 pm 

I hope it's okay that I ask this here before I make any mistake again because I can't find the designated thread/s for my question and I don't know if the rules clarify for these two releases that I want to add. I also hope it's okay that I bring up Discogs to this matter. It's about Silvertomb again.

https://www.discogs.com/Silvertomb-Inso ... e/13729959 - this song was released last year and the record label is "To 11 Media". I don't know if this song was released for a promotional purpose or considered a bootleg, especially when it was recorded from an unknown record label (or maybe it's private?) to render it official?

https://www.discogs.com/Silvertomb-Love ... e/14114545 - this is practically the debut song for the band, which was to promote their upcoming debut album. Also not sure whether it's for a promotional purpose that is deemed unacceptable.

That being said, what these two singles share is their formatting factor, which I'm not sure whether adding digital releases is acceptable or they have to be physical releases in the way that you admins render it?

I appreciate the help!

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:59 pm 

A digital album is valid if it is available for download on an official website. If the only link you have is Discogs, then it's better to err on the side of caution - there's no proof that it's a valid album. We have a thread where you can ask us any question pertaining to the site and its policies.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=94071

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:26 pm 

Midnightwards666 wrote:
A digital album is valid if it is available for download on an official website. If the only link you have is Discogs, then it's better to err on the side of caution - there's no proof that it's a valid album. We have a thread where you can ask us any question pertaining to the site and its policies.

Alright. Thanks for the link!

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:57 pm 

Petrus please see the topic that HouseSpiders linked to you. I added more information about your albums.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 120  Next