Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ujiteruhojo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:19 pm 

悪魔大群 was rejected again even though I included link to band camp release..... https://akumataigun.bandcamp.com/album/- and CD form

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:03 am 

ujiteruhojo wrote:
悪魔大群 was rejected again even though I included link to band camp release..... https://akumataigun.bandcamp.com/album/- and CD form

3 Copies of a CD does not count as physical distribution. Even then, the release would not work on a digital release, as it is three short songs.

Pencil.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

ujiteruhojo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:34 am 

So its not an applicable release because its too short.... nice one.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:36 am 

ujiteruhojo wrote:
So its not an applicable release because its too short.... nice one.

Yes. It's too short by digital standards, which need to be at least 20 minutes to qualify. 3 CD-R's with pencil drawn covers doesn't count as valid distribution. Either way, it's not acceptable, hence the rejection.

spyranteros
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:13 am 

My band has been rejected twice saying that I have to wait for the album to be released first... In the 1st time it was because of me, I accidentally clicked November instead of September at the month. But the second time the release date was correct, September 7th, 2014. I guess it was because of the time zones, maybe this date hasn't come there yet or something, I don't know. So I'm wondering what I should do now... I don't want to be rejected a 3rd time... Should I wait until tomorrow or something? Thanks!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:26 am 

Submit it again, should be fine if the date is legit.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:34 am 

spyranteros wrote:
My band has been rejected twice saying that I have to wait for the album to be released first... In the 1st time it was because of me, I accidentally clicked November instead of September at the month. But the second time the release date was correct, September 7th, 2014. I guess it was because of the time zones, maybe this date hasn't come there yet or something, I don't know. So I'm wondering what I should do now... I don't want to be rejected a 3rd time... Should I wait until tomorrow or something? Thanks!

Sorry about that. I must have overlooked the album release date change. Just goes to show don't multitask going through the band queue while watching a damn good movie
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:17 pm 

PDS wrote:
EpicSceptic wrote:
Hi PDS

I submitted a band from Spain called Frozen Shield. Initially I forgot to add the album (an EP) to the submission, but I re-submitted it this morning with the album attached.

The band have released two demos prior to this EP, and if you have a listen to the tracks you'll hear that they are definitely of professional quality. I also linked the studio where they recorded.

The album comes just a minute or so short of 20mins, but also the 20min rule is noted as being "preferable", and I'm assuming that wouldn't be the ultimate reason for its rejection?

These guys have quite a large local following, and I'm just trying to get them out there. Is there anything else I should be doing which I missed? There was no question about whether they are "metallic" enough, so I'm just wondering what exactly the problem with the submission is.

Thanks for your time.

They are metallic enough. That isn't really the question. From the Digital EP, it is generally preferable that the digital release has an album cover, as it serves as an Identifier. Under my book (note: my book, could be different from the other mods), a digital release should have an album cover that isn't just a logo on solid black/white background. I'll direct other mods to this to see their opinion and get the general consensus and me or someone else will get back to you.

EDIT: Yeah, wait till the physical. It should be out in a couple weeks.

Hi again

Not that I really mind about the points, but I see that Azmodes - who is an admin I believe - somehow just took my submission of this band and uploaded it under his own name? Anyway, I was waiting for the cover art to come through as well as the physical release, as per your suggestion. The physical release is only coming out tonight, so is it safe to say the admins can do as they please with this kind of thing? If so, it would've really helped me and the band if we could've sorted this out earlier as they were running a campaign to get enough money to make the physical release. So I'm not bitching just for the sake of it, I'm just really confused.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:58 pm 

I wasn't aware of them having been discussed in this thread. Nor were they in the queue or database when I added them. I had the band in my news feed and saw that they had a CD release today. So I added them, since they (now) meet our guidelines. Nothing more to it. If there's anything wrong with the current entry, feel free to make a report.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:17 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
I wasn't aware of them having been discussed in this thread. Nor were they in the queue or database when I added them. I had the band in my news feed and saw that they had a CD release today. So I added them, since they (now) meet our guidelines. Nothing more to it. If there's anything wrong with the current entry, feel free to make a report.

No problem, it's just that your entry is identical to my original one, the band pic you chose I selected from a gallery of about 50, so it was just a bit weird. My point is more along the lines of why you saw it fit
to add them with the information you had at the time of submission and why PDS didn't. Guess there isn't always agreement on these things between the administrators?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:31 pm 

I don't see what's weird about that. I checked their photos on FB. They only have a couple of fitting promo shots, so I chose a recent one at random. I didn't "take" your submission either. I created a new band entry with the information available on their FB, Bandcamp, etc., as anyone could've.

As I said, I had them in my news feed on Facebook. PDS presumably didn't or who knows which one of a thousand other possible reasons. I mean, it's not like just because mods are responding to inquiries about bands in this thread, that automatically means that they'll add each and every one as soon as they're eligible. We're not omnipresent/scient. So I don't see your point. There was no agreement or disagreement here. The band didn't have a valid release before (short digital-only EP). They do now (CD release) and I saw that and added them as I would add any other band I came across that met our criteria.

btw, if you are worried about whose name appears next to the "added by", that's completely irrelevant. There are no official or unofficial pages for bands here, as this is an encyclopaedia and not a promotional site. The rank and editing system applies to every entry, no matter who added it.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:43 pm 

As I said before it's not about the credit for adding a band, I'm not really on the site to add bands or score points. It just seemed super coincidental. Anyway, glad they've finally been added.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:02 am 

Alright, fair enough. :beer:

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:41 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Pessipath wrote:
The sludge metal/metalcore band Xibalba (United States) is blacklisted for whatever reason. They shouldn't be.

More hardcore than metal.

Just wondering, have you heard the split they put out this year? Tons of doom and slam death riffs along with normal death metal riffs. It's basically death metal Crowbar. There's also some serious funeral doom vibes halfway through "Suicide Note" and their guitarist told me their new album is gonna expand on that sound.

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured ... cum-split/
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Mortaest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:06 am 

Hi, I would like to know why Marilyn Manson has been blacklisted?

I agree they do mostly rock right now, but the album Antichrist Superstar is known to be the 3rd best selling industrial metal album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial ... rcial_rise)

If Ulver has been accepted for their early albums (3 black metal albums and then ambient music), Marilyn Manson should be accepted too...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:23 am 

These Xibalba appeals will never stop baffling me. I'm not even huge on their style of hardcore but they fit right in with bands like Nasty and No Zodiac and it just seems so insanely obvious to me.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:41 am 

Mortaest wrote:
Hi, I would like to know why Marilyn Manson has been blacklisted?

I agree they do mostly rock right now, but the album Antichrist Superstar is known to be the 3rd best selling industrial metal album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial ... rcial_rise)

If Ulver has been accepted for their early albums (3 black metal albums and then ambient music), Marilyn Manson should be accepted too...

Wikipedia is not a reliable source in these regards, and this is a great reason why...
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:50 pm 

I'm actually a Marilyn Manson fan and I love Antichrist Superstar - but whomever started labeling that as metal at one point should lose their press credentials. It's a rock record, without a doubt.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:53 pm 

"Industrial metal" is a term that has seen particular misuse.

Mortaest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:26 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Wikipedia is not a reliable source in these regards, and this is a great reason why...

Wikipedia is a reliable source... when you check what its sources are.
Is "allmusic.com" a reliable source? (http://www.allmusic.com/album/antichris ... 724/awards)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:29 pm 

No.

Mortaest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:32 pm 

What is a reliable source then?

I found this other source: http://metaldescent.com/industrial-metal/

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:32 pm 

Mortaest wrote:
Diamhea wrote:

Wikipedia is a reliable source... when you check what its sources are.
Is "allmusic.com" a reliable source? (http://www.allmusic.com/album/antichris ... 724/awards)

The tags are just wrong. Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal, Industrial Metal??? Really?
Be it Wikipedia or be it Allmusic, it all comes down to a person and his/her edits. And maybe these remain unnotices and unchanged, which creates a considerable amount of problems and inaccuracies with it. The MA can rely a larger amount of knowledge in terms of what is deemed metal and not. There are person to whom one can "talk" and whose edits can be followed. This is not always the case on those sites.

MM is not metal and it would be strange to see them accepted here.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:33 pm 

Mortaest wrote:

For this site, the music, as judged by the staff of this site.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:35 pm 

Mortaest wrote:

I found this other source: http://metaldescent.com/industrial-metal/

that is a load of bullocks. And ... not even an author mentioned. Great source and great sourcing of the site.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Mortaest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:46 pm 

So the only reliable source is the staff? Great source!
And where does your knowledge comes from? You just listen loads of songs and BOOM you can magically say if that band is industrial metal or if that band is not?

The only way to be sure would be to ask Marilyn Manson himself, but I don't think he would respond...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:21 pm 

Mortaest wrote:
You just listen loads of songs and BOOM you can magically say if that band is industrial metal or if that band is not?

Weird way to put it, but yeah...something like that.

Last.fm

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:43 pm 

Marilyn Manson is NOT Metal, FFS! Failing to notice that means that either a person is tonedeaf or ignorant.

Also, the use of magic is forbidden and is considered a bannable offense. Thank you.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:49 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Also, the use of magic is forbidden and it is a bannable offense. Thank you.

Gah fuck, well there goes my pending Dragon Rouge application

Mortaest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:52 pm 

Well, I listen a lot to metal too, when will this magical power be given to me? :p

OpsiusCato: Damn, I'm supposed to make my cupcakes the traditional way now? ^^

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:55 pm 

The making of cupcakes, in any way or form, is also a bannable offense.

...unless they are vegan baphomuffins. Those are considered valid according to the rules. Thank you.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Mortaest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:59 pm 

Not sure is serious or joking....

Anyway, I'll keep it to vegan baphomuffins for the future, I didn't know ^^

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:00 pm 

Mortaest wrote:
Not sure is serious or joking....

Anyway, I'll keep it to vegan baphomuffins for the future, I didn't know ^^

Okay we've had our fun.

Last.fm

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:22 pm 

Mortaest wrote:
So the only reliable source is the staff? Great source!

We're not talking about absolute facts and truths that MA is willfully ignoring here. We're talking about something highly subjective. The site does not claim to be the absolute authority on metal (that's in the rules too), just that we're trying to get by with our own blob of fuzzy boundaries when defining metal (based on metal riffs, by and large). While we do sometimes take external, non-musical sources into consideration (old reviews or zine articles for obscure bands, for example), we almost always judge bands on their actual music. We do not gulp down the word of other, bigger sites as gospel. AllMusic and Wikipedia in particular are pretty awful in that regard, the latter often relying on the former, since it's a top-tier site they are allowed to source (as I see it, Wikipedia's take on metal is quite flawed there, as they pretty much only recognize and rely on established "literature" and often misinformed published opinions as valid sources. That might serve them well for a myriad of other subjects (sans the "often misinformed" part, I hope), but for the metal subculture it leads to gargantuan omissions, weird genre tags and a general lack of understanding of sound, history and development).

On a personal note, I'd like to add that I don't consider MM metal in the least bit. It's rock-based, distorted, "heavy" and "loud" or somesuch things, which often suffices for the usage of the term "metal" in mainstream media. It does not on this site.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:20 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
These Xibalba appeals will never stop baffling me. I'm not even huge on their style of hardcore but they fit right in with bands like Nasty and No Zodiac and it just seems so insanely obvious to me.

Xibalba doesn't sound anything like Nasty but uhh ok. All I'm saying is you guys go on and on about how your standards are based on "metal riffs" and Xibalba's discography (and this split in particular) are replete with doom riffs. They obviously belong in the hardcore scene, but they're an outlier because they basically play death/doom metal. To say their music is MORE hardcore than metal is laughable to me. What even is hardcore to you guys?
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:51 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Xibalba doesn't sound anything like Nasty but uhh ok. All I'm saying is you guys go on and on about how your standards are based on "metal riffs" and Xibalba's discography (and this split in particular) are replete with doom riffs. They obviously belong in the hardcore scene, but they're an outlier because they basically play death/doom metal. To say their music is MORE hardcore than metal is laughable to me. What even is hardcore to you guys?

I always just kinda lump Nasty in with that super downtuned beatdown thing. It's not really my forte, I've always preferred faster, punchier hardcore so when I'm talking outside of that I definitely run the risk of being wrong. I feel like a lot of people really have a hard time separating "heavy" and "metal" sometimes and Xibalba is a very common target with that misconception. It's close, and I understand why people might get confused and lobby for their inclusion here, but I also understand waaaaaay more why they don't have a page. There are bands in the hardcore scene that are pretty clearly metal, like Young and In the Way. I just don't think Xibalba fits there.

Also, apparently slow breakdowns are doom riffs now. You heard it here first, folks!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:56 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:

I've seen them live with Nails and they're basically metallic slow hardcore, what the fuck are you saying with your death/doom, if something is laughable it's certainly that argument, not quite sure you know what you're talking about, man.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:58 pm 

Let me be the definitive voice on allmusic.com since I know them very well.

Genres are subjective based on the site. The genres from allmusic are more based on press kits and internet perception than actually listening to the record. However, every album on allmusic is either scanned into the database or typed in manually. There might be errors here and there but the albums themselves are reliable for the most part. Genres on sites like that and wikpedia are broader than they should be likely. They want you to click or search on those terms and stay on the site to generate traffic. It's just the way of the internet.

The nice part about MA is that we listen to the bands. You may not agree with our labels all the time and that's fine but what you do know coming here is that someone has listened to it and given it that label and not just listed what's on a piece of paper. And there's something cool about that. Shit, look at the marketing term, "modern metal." There's really no good meaning behind that at all. It's just another gimmicky label to let people know that we play what's trendy. But it's not a real genre. I have yet to hear a "modern metal" band that can't be defined by one or two genres of metal.

Anyway, point being - ignore the genre labels on those sites and just listen. If you think MM is metal, you have every right to. But we don't and that means they aren't getting listed. It's really no more complicated than that.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:22 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I've seen them live with Nails and they're basically metallic slow hardcore, what the fuck are you saying with your death/doom, if something is laughable it's certainly that argument, not quite sure you know what you're talking about, man.

Dude, you are arguing with a guy who thinks Mercyful Fate is dad rock.

Like your reviews?

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:38 pm 

Was Myrkur blacklisted because the debut EP has not come out physically yet?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289 ... 541  Next