Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:14 am 

It looks like the "Industrial Metal Help Thread" was unstickied at some point. Was this a glitch or maybe due to inactivity?
Here's a link to the thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56924

Edit: The same thing happened with the melodeath help thread, so I'm assuming this was all intentional, since the threads aren't very active.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:19 pm 

On the Forum Members database, the "Username Begins With __" prompt seems to be broken. When I click the box, nothing happens. Is this happening to anyone else? Here's a link: memberlist.php

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:17 pm 

Yup, that's been broken for a while and you aren't the first to mention it. I used to use it sometimes, so I can say with certainty that it has been broken for at least two and a half years.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:05 pm 

Oh, I should've dug a little deeper before asking. My bad. Anyway, I hope to see it fixed at some point.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:21 am 

Weird thing: when I read a post right after posting it there was an "i" where i had put an "a", and when clicking on the edit button, it showed an "a" in the writing area. Edited it to "aa" just to check, and the post correctly got "aa" in it. Edited it back to "a" and then the post went back to "i"...

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:55 pm 

For some reason whenever I search "With Fire and Iron" on the search engine, the "no suitable matches found" page turns up even though I made a post with the exact same words myself.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:53 am 

Not being able to embed YouTunes is a hindrance/deterrence to us checking out what people post.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:20 am 

What

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:25 am 

Quote:
If anyone wants to share links, just post the raw URL to the Youtube vid. DO NOT EMBED, since it eventually becomes very difficult for many of us to load the page when there are a dozen-plus embedded videos trying to load at once.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:33 am 

That post was made in a thread where people are encouraged to share songs, and the decision stands for circumstances like that. It makes the page nearly impossible to navigate for many of us without newer computers.

And it isn't a hindrance, since embedded videos still need to be clicked once to "open", and clicking a raw URL is one click as well, it just opens in a new tab. Live with it; trying to navigate a page with people dumping multiple embeds to songs is a far bigger hindrance to some of us.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:19 pm 

Don't know if this is happening on the main site or even if it's just on my end but lately when browsing on my phone the forums have been really unresponsive. Basically nothing will happen when I click on things and I have to close out the browser and reload for it to work properly again.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:54 pm 

I noticed that on band pages that Thomas Vee has two commas with no band listed between them? Is this a bug?

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:25 am 

Been running into an issue for a while now where my account won't stay logged in even though I check the box for it.

I'm running Firefox 50.0.2 for my browser, but was running into the issue on my older computer which has an older version of Firefox. I do run NoScript and AdBlock Plus.

Is there a browser setting I should look to change?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:46 pm 

I'm not sure about how NoScript works, but could it be blocking cookies? Maybe you need to whitelist the domain? Adblock shouldn't be an issue since we have zero ads and neither site nor forum cookies are used in adserve-tracking.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:24 pm 

I recommend getting HTTPS for the forums. That way the connection between the user and the server is encrypted and it is less likely that someone can intercept the connection and grab the details of the users.

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:38 pm 

Embedding Youtube links is unnecessary and not worth the minor convenience in exchange for longer page load time. This feature might as well be disabled entirely.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:21 pm 

Not everyone is gifted with an Internet connection that only allows such things to be a "minor inconvenience" to them. You can live with it.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:15 am 

I think you misunderstand my position. I am against embedded Youtube links, and would prefer for this feature to be disabled. I am saying that the benefits of embedded videos are not worth the added hassle. The load time of pages with a lot of links is significantly increased for little to no gain.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:51 am 

Once a user hits Metal freak (or Metel fraek :scratch:) status, their profile no longer displays the most active topic or subforum. Is this intentional?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:35 am 

hippiedrow wrote:
I think you misunderstand my position. I am against embedded Youtube links, and would prefer for this feature to be disabled. I am saying that the benefits of embedded videos are not worth the added hassle. The load time of pages with a lot of links is significantly increased for little to no gain.

I kinda agree, but it doesn't seem to bother most people. It's only ever a problem with threads where people dump multiple embeds per post, then it can become impossible to navigate and I generally step in and ask people to simply post the raw URLs. Regardless, most people have computers that can handle it, I guess. I have a 2g ram laptop and a 4g desktop, and even the latter struggles sometimes with it.

Last.fm

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:33 pm 

Hello,
I've just noticed something weird going on on this page:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ma ... ens/401047

I have no idea whether there's an issue with my computer or that page itself since I'm highly illiterate on such things. Just wanted to inform others and report what appears to be in need of fixing.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:57 pm 

What exactly is the problem you're encountering, DS? The page loads fine on my laptop. Could you be more specific as to what's faulty?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:58 pm 

Uh, how about actually telling us what appears to be the problem?

Last.fm

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:42 pm 

Sorry 'bout that, I assumed others would encounter the same problem, which doesn't seem to be the case...
Well, when I open that page, something similar to the Droste effect happens: The same page appears a second time, offcenter, more to the right and downwards, with the album cover image and the panel beneath it popping up time and again, while the blue bar to the far right (used to scroll up and down the page) keeps moving between two positions...very strange and something I haven't seen on M-A before. Might be my old computer though - again, I'm all but an expert on these subject matters, so apologies for the amateurish description.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:29 pm 

Seems like neither Diamhea nor I have that problem. Try another browser, and if the problem persists, take a screenshot* and post here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78737&start=2360
This thread is for the forum. That one^ is for the main site.

*You can upload your screenshot to http://imgur.com

Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:01 am 

I've noticed recently today that the embed YouTube videos and their spoilers and whatevs are no longer working. When I click "show", I get nothing but a black square and no video. I had no problem with spoilers before this day. Maybe it has something to do with the site maintenance that happened last night while I was away.
Here for example: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118264
In that page, the spoilers by thrashinbatman and AcidWorm are not working.

Lolpah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:34 pm 

Manic Maniac wrote:
I've noticed recently today that the embed YouTube videos and their spoilers and whatevs are no longer working. When I click "show", I get nothing but a black square and no video. I had no problem with spoilers before this day. Maybe it has something to do with the site maintenance that happened last night while I was away.
Here for example: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118264
In that page, the spoilers by thrashinbatman and AcidWorm are not working.

I also have this problem. At first I thought it was just my shitty computer being shit, but apparently others also have it.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:27 pm 

I was gonna post about the embedded Youtube links not working properly, but it looks like you guys beat me to it. So it's not just me then. Oh well, I have faith in the Metal Gods (and Goddesses) that it will get fixed.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:22 pm 

One polite request: If a thread needs to be closed down for any reason that is not blatantly obvious (i.e. it is not someone blatantly spamming or trolling, or the thread didn't degenerate into a flame war name-calling bitch session) can a forum administrator at least give a courtesy post indicating why the thread was closed? Something like "Too many lists" or "This discussion is pointless" or "There is already a thread about this."

Because there have been a couple instances where a thread was closed seemingly arbitrarily with no explanation and left me wondering what went wrong, or what specific rule got violated. And I am not just some clueless "mallcore kid" who hasn't read the rules- for example I was actually stumped as to why the topic on smoking and metal vocalists was closed down. I'm not arguing against closing down discussions if the administrators feel it is necessary. Rather, I think there are instances like the above example where some more explanation might be appropriate.

Edit: It looks like the aforementioned thread was just re-opened.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:29 pm 

Don't rule out thread necromancy.

Last.fm

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:51 pm 

Whoa, you're right; I just went back and checked and that thread was started in clear back in 2014. I was only looking at the newer posts, and hadn't realized the topic was that old.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:42 am 

Hello. I know I'm new here so my observation doesn't mean shit...but shouldn't there be a rule against posting non-metal songs in the "Now Playing" thread in metal discussion? Get your own now playing thread, Tavern!!! :-P

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:58 am 

A strange thing happens on the Virvum band's site https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Virvum/3540397422
When you look at the main site you see 4 reviews for their full-length just as you can see that there are 4 reviews in the review tab.
click the CD and with the default version it is still 4 reviews and 4 in the review tab.
click any other version and you will see that there are apparently 5 reviews and the percentage is somewhat lowered but in the review tab you only see 4 reviews.
strange uh?
can't upload the image right now

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:49 pm 

^ Clearing the cache seems to have fixed it. Likely just leftovers from when Lich deleted his review of the album.

EDIT: Also wrong thread. :-P

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:05 pm 

Sorry if this has been asked before/said elsewhere... but what exactly is that symbol next to Diamhea's thread? I don't remember seeing it before.
Spoiler: show

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:09 pm 

Looks like an oversight by the admins. Might be only available to mods, but it only shows up in that forum for me.

Last.fm

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:18 pm 

Ok, so it means nothing. I think it's only available to certain users, I don't see anything like that when starting a new thread.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:13 pm 

When I click "read first unread post" on the Diamhea memorial thread, I'm always directed to the first post on the latest thread page, even if I've already read it. Does anybody know why that is?

TheOneWhoWaits
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:52 am 

The first post:

Evenfiel wrote:
THIS IS FOR THE FORUM ONLY. Use this thread for feedback about the v2 site.

Can someone please correct that URL?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:00 pm 

TheOneWhoWaits wrote:
The first post:

Evenfiel wrote:
THIS IS FOR THE FORUM ONLY. Use this thread for feedback about the v2 site.

Can someone please correct that URL?

Huh. Weird. That's the old beta URL... lol. It's been like this for years and it was only just noticed now. Fixed haha.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next