Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:27 am 

Post here if you notice any bugs or problems with the new phpBB3 forum.

THIS IS FOR THE FORUM ONLY. Use this thread for feedback about the v2 site.

For Derigin:
FORUMS TO DO LIST (Updated May 13th 2011):
- Links too dark inside quotes.
- Mark all topics as read.
- Distinct color for links, especially visited.
- Username colors for the "Post a Reply" preview area.
- Automatically open links in new window (possibly), also fixing middle button problem.
- Clean up profile organization somewhat.
- Move the "Moderators" line from where it is in the "View Topics" and "Posting" templates.
- Add navigation on "Post a Reply" page.
- Quote linking.
- Pagination for forums on the top, too.
- Fix up the design for 'spoilers' and 'code'

Some things that wont happen:
- We wont go back to the old theme, or provide it as an alternative. Sorry.
- Forums don't mark themselves as read when you log out. This is a PhpBB3 alteration we have no control over.
- The current colors will not change too dramatically. Link and text colors may change to be more easily readable.
- Unfortunately post counts wont be changed or altered. Those threads and posts that counted beforehand no longer exist.

Last edited by Evenfiel on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:51 am, edited 6 times in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:50 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
-Links appear too dark inside a quote.

Came here to post this.

Also, I don't know if this was done on purpose or not, but links no longer open in a new tab.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 139804
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:52 am 

Either I'm missing something, or the forum doesn't have the "mark all topics as read" option anymore.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:27 pm 

this has happened a few times just recently, but when I back out of a thread using my browser's back button the entire site kinda crumbles and when it loads it's a white board with mushed up letters.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:18 pm 

Last edited by Evenfiel on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:23 pm 

Links with the [url= ]link text[/url ] tag appear like normal text.

Example.

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:41 pm 

The new colors are really bad, IMO. The maroon shade is super-ugly, and nearly impossible to read, either as a text color or as a background color.

Just looking at the site literally gives me a headache now.

kahuka
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:06 pm 

I think it looks pretty good. Better than before.

~Guest 139804
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:20 pm 

Perhaps you're plagued by a poor monitor? I have no trouble reading anything now.

GreatOne
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:02 pm 

A lot of the topics that are from 1.0 will not open and I get redirected to an error msg on the 1.0 site.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:52 pm 

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:30 am 

It looks fine on my monitor, and on HB's... and on my old monitor too before I had replaced it.

I really don't know what to do about this. Seems like people either love it, or outright hate it. My guess is that it looks really awful/unreadable on certain specific brands of monitor, for some reason... :( But I'm not sure what I can do about it, since when I test, it's my own monitor and it looks fine.

I guess we'll need someone who has one such monitor to be CSS/design savvy and come up with an alternate stylesheet that users can toggle between, or something...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

ToDreamOfUr
The Boy King of All Village Idiots

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:45 am 

It looks fine for me. It looks much better than before too, more comfortable.

Oberst_Orlok_SS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:04 am 

I like it.

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:17 am 

My monitor's fine, but I'd still like the text to have a bit more contrast to it. This colour scheme should be called "strawberry frozen yogurt, as seen through sunglasses".

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:44 am 

Morrigan wrote:
It looks fine on my monitor, and on HB's... and on my old monitor too before I had replaced it.

I really don't know what to do about this. Seems like people either love it, or outright hate it. My guess is that it looks really awful/unreadable on certain specific brands of monitor, for some reason... :( But I'm not sure what I can do about it, since when I test, it's my own monitor and it looks fine.

I guess we'll need someone who has one such monitor to be CSS/design savvy and come up with an alternate stylesheet that users can toggle between, or something...

Hey, you could take a look at this: http://juicystudio.com/services/luminos ... tratio.php

It basically just tests colour contrast to make sure the colours are easily readable and not cause strain etc.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:09 am 

Actually, the contrast does seem a bit poor and I think I have a fairly good monitor. It seems like the text color is a similar color to the background, but just a different shade. The contrast on V1 I thought was spectacular, and V2 does seem a bit harder to read. However, I think Morrigan had a good idea about perhaps having an alternative color scheme that users can toggle between. I think the color scheme is messing with my head a bit as well due to the contrast, so I think some users would greatly appreciate an alternative color scheme, if possible.

Also, the buttons on the forum (Preview, Submit, Cancel) seem way too tiny, and they seem to have poor contrast as well.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:36 am 

nex666 wrote:
Hey, you could take a look at this: http://juicystudio.com/services/luminos ... tratio.php

Well, using that link comes up with the following results.

Forums - Off-white on the Dark Red Background:
Quote:
Results for Luminosity Contrast Ratio
The contrast ratio is: 10.44:1

Passed at Level AAA: The luminosity contrast ratio is very good for the chosen colours (#110107 and #C2B8AF).

Forums - Off-white on the Dark Grey Background:
Quote:
The contrast ratio is: 9.76:1

Passed at Level AAA: The luminosity contrast ratio is very good for the chosen colours (#101010 and #C2B8AF).

Forums - Quotes:
Quote:
The contrast ratio is: 11.73:1

Passed at Level AAA: The luminosity contrast ratio is very good for the chosen colours (#383838 and #fff).

Site - Pink Links on the Dark Red Background:
Quote:
The contrast ratio is: 3.39:1

Passed at Level AA for large text only: If the text is large text (at least 18 point or 14 point bold), the luminosity contrast ratio is sufficient for the chosen colours (#110107 and #82585A).

I am not sure about the last one, but the pink links on the forums will be changed to be easier to see.

Pepsiman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:44 pm 

The contrast is fine on my monitor, but the "plum" color feels very strange. I support the idea of an alternate colorscheme, but only in the name of aesthetics.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:47 pm 

By the way, is this complain about the SITE colours, or the FORUM? Or both?

Please clarify. I'm going to merge these posts into their respective feedback threads.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:55 pm 

Yeah, it will. I just can't be bothered to change it right now since I'll have to change it again when we're back on the domain. :p

Folks, please use this thread for all FORUM related feedback (edited the OP to mention this). Use the other thread for site feedback. Thanks.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:21 pm 

More about the forum. I haven't browsed the main site enough to form an opinion on it yet; most of my general M-A browsing has been through the old site.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:28 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Also, I don't know if this was done on purpose or not, but links no longer open in a new tab.

This is something I noticed immediately myself.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:54 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
droneriot wrote:

This is something I noticed immediately myself.

This is much better practice, let the user open it in a new window if they want to.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:05 pm 

I think you should just include the option to change schemes for the forums, just throw in the old one if possible. Makes everyone happy.

Again as I said in the FFA, the main site looks fine, but I'm just really not liking the colors on the forum. Too much gray.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:33 pm 

-Long URLs break inside PMs.

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:59 pm 

I really don't dabble in website coding, but I can't imagine it would be too difficult to enable alternate color schemes on the forums and main site. The current scheme seems very muddled with all the colors being grays, or red with gray leanings. In comparison to the old scheme, colors were completely distinct and less muddy.

On the practical side, add the ability for Mod's to switch the color schemes of users who act like jackasses. Bright pinks and unicorns, that will teach them.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:50 pm 

Also I'm not sure if this is just temporary due to the current url, but I think the "Encyclopaedia Metallum" link on the top and bottom of threads/posts could be removed, so there's just the parent forum you're in and the index links, which is how I'm pretty sure it was setup previously?

Just a nitpick I noticed.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:01 pm 

I did notice one thing when I was writing a review. Obviously to write a review I had to be signed in. It wouldn't let me save draft because it said i needed to sign in on the top left corner (even though I already was.) So I saved it to a word processor. When I submitted it said something like access denied, we require authentication, sign in. So I did and my review was gone. Luckily I already had it saved on the word processor and I just copied and pasted and it let me submit this time. Did I do something stupid or is this some sort of glitch?

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:38 am 

A bug in the "Post a reply" mode.

http://i51.tinypic.com/25jio43.jpg

As you can see, the red square is quite empty when it shouldn't be, in fact.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:55 pm 

- when clicking the topic links from a forum page with the middle mouse button (to open the link in a new tab) opens the link in a new tab and directs the current tab to the new url on chrome (and i imagine on other webkit browsers, like safari)

- the "quote", "reply", "profile", "pm", "report" etc. buttons are about as pretty as a hungover lemmy

- i can't seem to find an option to change my password (is it just me being blind?)

- forum fonts are significantly larger than the main site (atm it seems the main site's fonts are too small, but i'm on a projector, so not exactly the best measure to go by)

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:01 pm 

-Previously clicked links have the same color as the regular text.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:24 pm 

As someone else said there isn't an option to mark everything as read. In the previous version when I logged out and back in again everything was marked as read automatically, but now all topics are always showing new replies. I don't know if this is on purpose but since I don't read/reply all topics, an option to make everything read would be very helpful.

SouthofHeaven11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:37 pm 

Whenever I come to MA, it gives me the old version. Upon signing in, it flips me to the new version, but requires me to sign in again.

On a smaller note, my post count was close to 400 before the site changed. I'd feel better as a fellow user of teh internets if it was restored, but if not, eh.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:12 pm 

Belial wrote:
Links with the [url= ]link text[/url ] tag appear like normal text.

Example.

I've noticed this as well, but it seems to be more specific than that. It seems to vary depending on:
—> which background color the post has (out of the alternating very dark gray vs reddish black);
—> whether it's in a quote or not;
—> whether you've already visited the target page or not.

For instance, on this very page right now, your "Example" link is indistinguishable from the plain text in your post. It only appears as a link if I put my cursor over it. Before I clicked on it, it was highlighted in pale grayish pink, like other links do. But links in quote or in posts which have the reddish black background (yours has the very dark gray one) still appear slightly different after I've clicked on them (slightly paler grayish pink).

Test 1 (Google). Test 2 (a site fewer users are likely to have visited today).
Quote:
Test 3 (Google in a quote)

Edit: My post happen to have the opposite background as yours, and it seems to make no difference after all (on my monitor at least). All links appear as normal text for me (provided I visited the target page), except within quotes where they're always oh so slightly grayed out. So background color doesn't seem to be a factor afterall.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:16 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
-There is no link from the forum profile to the database profile.

I see it has been added since, but clicking on it gives a 404 error page. The message actually includes a link to report it to the webmaster, but since the issue seems obvious enough I thought I'd post it here instead.

The link is apparently just missing the "/~metalarc" part:
http://209.59.186.200/users/LegendMaker (gives 404)
http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/users/LegendMaker (works properly)

I suppose it'll have to be changed again when the site is moved back to the main domain name, as the url is quite different anyway: http://www.metal-archives.com/userprofi ... egendMaker

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:44 pm 

The "watch this topic" button has vanished. Or it is me being blind, both are likely.
The "at least one new post was made since you began writing your message" thing is brilliant IMO, by the way.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:24 pm 

yentass wrote:
The "watch this topic" button has vanished. Or it is me being blind, both are likely.
The "at least one new post was made since you began writing your message" thing is brilliant IMO, by the way.

At the top center of the page, just above the posts: "subscribe topic"

androdion wrote:
As someone else said there isn't an option to mark everything as read. In the previous version when I logged out and back in again everything was marked as read automatically, but now all topics are always showing new replies. I don't know if this is on purpose but since I don't read/reply all topics, an option to make everything read would be very helpful.

Well, on the main forum index, under the list of forums and to the right, there's a "Mark forums read" link. It seems to me like there should also be one for each forum individually though...

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:30 pm 

Catachthonian wrote:
A bug in the "Post a reply" mode.

http://i51.tinypic.com/25jio43.jpg

As you can see, the red square is quite empty when it shouldn't be, in fact.

Or rather the usernames ARE displayed, but in black, so they're almost invisible. HellBlazer's and Morrigan's usernames are displayed correctly, however.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:23 pm 

Not too important, but would it be possible to change the background of the spoilers to be something a bit less bright? I'd think they'd look fine if they were formatted to look similar to quotes, but I suppose you might have wanted to differentiate a bit between the two.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next