Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:24 pm 

Hi,
i don't no if is a bug, but this release appears has a FL but when i try to change the data give an error saying the Split needs a valid band.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/P ... %A1/343072

Thank you.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:31 pm 

MasterOfSin wrote:
Hi,
i don't no if is a bug, but this release appears has a FL but when i try to change the data give an error saying the Split needs a valid band.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/P ... %A1/343072

Thank you.

Fixed, it had a empty band entry assigned to it.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:59 pm 

A bit of a forum feedback:
Since the "cleansing The archives " thread is very often clogged up and there are already bands on three following sites waiting for a review recently, I wonder, if a special forum "Why a band was acceptd_ could be created, in a similar way to the Band question forum", also marking the aanswred questionetc. I believe gratly, Ithat I wowould help both the site and moderators, both also the common users. Please, thake a look at the current situation: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65721&p=2864697#p2864697

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:29 pm 

Sorry about that, Witcher. I would prefer a system like that, I think it would be very helpful for our organization. Traffic would be very slow compared to the current band appeals subforum, but I guess that's not a problem. In fact, it would likely be a good thing. Or perhaps we could allow all appeals, rejection appeal or suggestion of removal in the same subforum.

We'd have to discuss it internally first, but I can give the suggestion a +1. I'd find it helpful.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:53 pm 

Midnightwards666 wrote:
Sorry about that, Witcher. I would prefer a system like that, I think it would be very helpful for our organization. Traffic would be very slow compared to the current band appeals subforum, but I guess that's not a problem. In fact, it would likely be a good thing. Or perhaps we could allow all appeals, rejection appeal or suggestion of removal in the same subforum.

We'd have to discuss it internally first, but I can give the suggestion a +1. I'd find it helpful.

Thanks for your response and for showing interest in my suggestion, I really hope , that some positive changes will be made soon in regards to what I have described.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:21 pm 

Instead of a whole subforum, why not split the current thread into two? One for bands that aren't metal, one for bands that don't have valid releases.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:50 pm 

This would also help, but it still would not exclude the risk of having a band post overlooked. TThe problem also is, that many non-metal bands have quite extensive discographyies and when you post five or more such bands on one page , it will become quite messy relatively fast. A special forum would eenable moderators to qquckly overview a band's discography and also to determine, with which band they could start first.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:18 pm 

Since I'd like to avoid another lecture on keeping out of the moderation threads I'll post this here. That latest Lord of Diamonds appeal, as I explain in the response I wrote, I think there really should be something in the Band Appeals guidelines encouraging people to think about whether an appeal is really something they should invest their time in if even they themselves aren't in any way convinced the band is metal. Just a suggestion for the "rules and guidelines" thread in said subforum:

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
After a VERY fast rejection (about ten minutes in the queue), I’m here to present possibly better metallic evidence for this band.

https://kalyptra.bandcamp.com/album/eons

What do you think? I’d say that the guitars are note-y enough to be considered metal for the most part.

myself wrote:
From a non-mod user perspective I can tell you one thing from years of observation that I kind of think should be in the guidelines, that when users type out these really unsure appeals like "from a certain perspective if you tilt your head and squint your eyes this album could kind of half sound like almost metal" they should really stop and think that if even they as the person making the appeal aren't really convinced that it's metal, should they really make the appeal?

I haven't heard the music and it could be less metal than The Offspring or more metal than Ripping Corpse, that's not what I'm referring to, that's, as we all know, is the moderators' job to say, I'm just commenting on that particular form of wording an appeal because I've seen it so many times that users making an appeal don't at all seem convinced that the band they're talking about is really metal themselves, so why even make an appeal if even you yourself aren't really sold on the band being a metal band?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:23 pm 

Well, there's common sense... for example, not appealing for bands whose new release sounds exactly like the old one which got the band blacklisted, or appealing for bands that you don't think are acceptable and holding onto a very faint hope. I don't see anything wrong with that thread though... he is entitled to ask, and he even said he thinks it's metal enough. It's fine for a user to make enquiries for borderline releases that may be acceptable.

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:45 pm 

Possible suggestion: support for embedded Bandcamp players in posts. I figured that since there's support for a mini YouTube-player there might aswell be support for Bandcamp players. A lot of times when people link to a song they use YouTube, and in many cases that song is also on Bandcamp, which has a very clean looking player that I think could easily be embedded. Example code:

Code:
<iframe style="border: 0; width: 100%; height: 42px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/album=3929769869/size=small/bgcol=333333/linkcol=0f91ff/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="http://thehelixnebula.bandcamp.com/album/meridian">Meridian by The Helix Nebula</a></iframe>

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:44 am 

I have another possible idea (even though my previous post hasn't gotten any responses yet): A now-playing thread where you're only allowed to mention albums that haven't yet been mentioned before in that thread. If this were to catch on, I think it'd be a great thread to discover new music without having to browse through a ton of well-known stuff that's been mentioned a hundred times. I'd appreciate some thoughts on this proposal, even if you think it's a stupid idea. Thanks

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:41 am 

Tekdeth wrote:
Possible suggestion: support for embedded Bandcamp players in posts. I figured that since there's support for a mini YouTube-player there might aswell be support for Bandcamp players. A lot of times when people link to a song they use YouTube, and in many cases that song is also on Bandcamp, which has a very clean looking player that I think could easily be embedded. Example code:

Code:
<iframe style="border: 0; width: 100%; height: 42px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/album=3929769869/size=small/bgcol=333333/linkcol=0f91ff/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="http://thehelixnebula.bandcamp.com/album/meridian">Meridian by The Helix Nebula</a></iframe>

Don't know if that's possible with the software we're using, but I wouldn't mind that.

Tekdeth wrote:
I have another possible idea (even though my previous post hasn't gotten any responses yet): A now-playing thread where you're only allowed to mention albums that haven't yet been mentioned before in that thread. If this were to catch on, I think it'd be a great thread to discover new music without having to browse through a ton of well-known stuff that's been mentioned a hundred times. I'd appreciate some thoughts on this proposal, even if you think it's a stupid idea. Thanks

I think it would be impossible to moderate that in the long-run.
You can always ask for recommendations, though.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:37 pm 

So, I have a main site issue - yes, I know I'm not supposed to post it here, but I can't seem to do so elsewhere. I changed the email address associated with my profile, and now I can log in and post on the forums just fine, but I can't log in to the main site to, e.g., add stuff to my collection. I tried resetting my password, but I get the following message, yet no follow-up email in my inbox - any ideas?

We found your account, but it has not been activated, so we cannot reset your password.
However, we have resent the activation email. Please click the activation link in this email to activate your account before continuing.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:05 pm 

Have you checked your spam folder? For some unknown reason, Gmail hates this site and typically marks any email from MA as spam. If it doesn't even land there, I'll direct the webmasters' attention to this thread.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:56 am 

Midnightwards666 wrote:
Have you checked your spam folder? For some unknown reason, Gmail hates this site and typically marks any email from MA as spam. If it doesn't even land there, I'll direct the webmasters' attention to this thread.

You are a DELIGHT. It worked, thanks.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:50 am 

The forum is throwing expired certificate warnings at me. Main site certificates are ok, though.

Lolpah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:29 am 

I'm also getting expired certificate warnings from the forum.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:52 pm 

Is there a criteria as to what the software constitutes as a change in a post necessitating the "last edited by" under-text? I thought maybe it was a time limit, where maybe any edits within five minutes don't count, but now I'm wondering if it's also based on number of characters modified, because sometimes I'll see a minor error in a post I made from a previous day, fix it, and yet it won't say the post was edited.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:31 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Is there a criteria as to what the software constitutes as a change in a post necessitating the "last edited by" under-text? I thought maybe it was a time limit, where maybe any edits within five minutes don't count, but now I'm wondering if it's also based on number of characters modified, because sometimes I'll see a minor error in a post I made from a previous day, fix it, and yet it won't say the post was edited.

The only factor is whether there's a post after yours by the time your edit goes through.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:01 am 

Aha.

Invicta
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:13 am 

I requested a new password and got a temporary one sent to my email. When I try to edit the temporary one I got sent to a page saying that access was restricted and that I need to log in in the top left corner (main site). This does not work with the temporary password, I don't think I was ever registered at the main site by the way.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:44 pm 

Invicta wrote:
I requested a new password and got a temporary one sent to my email. When I try to edit the temporary one I got sent to a page saying that access was restricted and that I need to log in in the top left corner (main site). This does not work with the temporary password, I don't think I was ever registered at the main site by the way.

Hmm, so the temporary password works on the forum but not the main site? That's a first... Are you sure you copy/pasted it correctly? It should definitely be the exact same as the forum password.

Invicta
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:45 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Hmm, so the temporary password works on the forum but not the main site? That's a first... Are you sure you copy/pasted it correctly? It should definitely be the exact same as the forum password.

Yes, and I am able to log in here to have this conversation copypasting the temporary password :) I tried a second time and still the same result.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:05 pm 

Invicta wrote:
HellBlazer wrote:

Yes, and I am able to log in here to have this conversation copypasting the temporary password :) I tried a second time and still the same result.

Hmm, no idea how this could possibly happen. Try resetting the password again, I suppose.

Blackheart_Sauron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:44 pm 

I was unable to login into forum with my normal account BlackheartSauron ( https://www.metal-archives.com/users/BlackheartSauron )

I was logged in on the main site though, so password reset was leading me there and asked me for current password. I've entered it (well, browser's password manager did) but it was rejected.

I've logged out of main site to do password reset, but was unable to login. Which is sort of ok.
But, when I actually tried password reset - it said my email was not matching any users! Which is wrong, as I have been receiving emails from MA to that email.

Now I've just created new account, but - what is happening? Can I reset password for my old account?

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:53 pm 

Why are popup tabs blocked? Is this intentional or a bug? I can open new tabs from topics in this forum by pressing the mouse wheel but when I use control + left click I get a "popup tabs blocked for this site" and get sent to the thread instead of opening a new tab. This is the only website I've ever experienced this. Multiple browsers and computers, etc.

Masterschiief
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:46 am 

After my first post on the review discussion forum, I didn't get the notification that it will need to get approved before it shows, instead just went back to the forum index page, so I dumbfuckedly posted the same thing again. I'm sorry about that and also want you to know why I did that. Cheers!

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:16 pm 

Is there a way to hide/block threads from appearing (similarly like you can "ignore" users)? Would be very handy.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:00 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Why are popup tabs blocked? Is this intentional or a bug? I can open new tabs from topics in this forum by pressing the mouse wheel but when I use control + left click I get a "popup tabs blocked for this site" and get sent to the thread instead of opening a new tab. This is the only website I've ever experienced this. Multiple browsers and computers, etc.

Like, any link? Works fine for me...

Masterschiief wrote:
After my first post on the review discussion forum, I didn't get the notification that it will need to get approved before it shows, instead just went back to the forum index page, so I dumbfuckedly posted the same thing again. I'm sorry about that and also want you to know why I did that. Cheers!

There's a message saying the post will need to be approved after you just posted, but it does forward you to another page after a few seconds, so it's possible to miss it...

Death By Wall of Text wrote:
Is there a way to hide/block threads from appearing (similarly like you can "ignore" users)? Would be very handy.

No. This is an old-ass forum software, it doesn't have fancy features. :old:

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:59 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
Death By Wall of Text wrote:

No. This is an old-ass forum software, it doesn't have fancy features. :old:

:lol: I assumed as much as I remember this setup from various 00s-era forums (with a lot of nostalgia), but I thought maybe you were also using some fancy plugins or mods on top of it.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:39 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Like, any link? Works fine for me...

Only threads/forum links. For example it doesn't work in here viewforum.php?f=1 or here index.php when I do control + left click and try to open "The Encyclopaedia Metallum ALBUM OF THE 2000s POLL RESULTS!" thread or the "Recommendation Central" forum. It ignores me and acts as if I simply used the left button of the mouse instead of opening a new tab and I get that message error.

It doesn't work for me in any of my computers. I use Chrome. I've reinstalled Windows recently and it made no difference.

It works for links in messages for example this link -> viewforum.php?f=1 works for me when I go to this message and do control + left click. Mouse central wheel works as intended always, it's only control + left click that gets me errors.

Edit 1: I can confirm I get the same error on Microsoft Edge but it works fine on older versions of Microsoft Explorer. Checked on multiple computers.

Edit 2: there's an option in Chrome to allow sites to open popup tabs. You know, this option that blocks spam sites that try to open ten popups with spam. When I turn it off and do control + left click the forum opens the thread in that same popup but it also opens the thread in a new popup tab so you end up with two tabs that are the same. That option can be found here: chrome://settings/content/popups

I think for some reason Chrome identifies the popups on this site as malign and blocks them.

Edit 3: just tried Tor Browser and I get the same error as in my second edit, when I press control + left click the thread opens in the same window I did click but it also opens the thread in a new popup tab so you end up with two tabs that are the same.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:06 am 

Sorry if post here but I don’t find other threads

Forum works well but reviews site or main with Safari don’t work,exit a white page with a 0 at the top left and stop…
Strange until tonight worked perfectly ..
I have tried with telephone and google and it work perfectly

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:12 am 

Howdy,

just curious: is it possible to implement open in new_tab into the existing html code? It's just annoying to click "open in new tab" on every external link every time.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:50 am 

joppek wrote:
the thread icon legend is missing three of the icons (New posts, New posts [ Popular ] & New posts [ Locked ])

also, the legend doesn't mention that yellow means you have posted in the thread

just bumping this post from 11 years ago - bug still hasn't been fixed...

in case it's not clear what i meant, go to one of the forums, and the legend is at the bottom of the page, between "who's online" and the bottom search bar

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:41 pm 

I've come across a new bug that just started happening recently on the forums: Whenever you reply to a post in a thread, instead of posting, it just logs you off automatically, and forces you to log back in (and won't add your post to the thread.) This started earlier this week (Oct 4) but appeared to be fixed, now it's happening again. Sometimes you have to try two or three times before it will actually submit the post successfully without logging you off.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:48 pm 

This is probably real minor, but that tips text should probably be darker since it's on a block of white

Only_Perception
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:54 pm 

Is it even possible to post on this site at all or am I stuck being "approved" by moderators for days at a time?

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:57 am 

Yeah sorry about that, a bit of a backlog formed there. You shouldn't have to wait for your posts to be approved anymore, that's just a system in place for brand new posters, to weed out spam bots and all.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8