Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:01 am 

There's already a forum for that.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Bonziepsycho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:25 pm 

I think it would be nice to include the genre tag next to band names on individual artist pages, possibly even filling in the genre on unlisted bands. There's enough dead space next to the band name on each row.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:36 pm 

perzine wrote:
Ah, sweet. And I hadn't thought about corporate entities - that addition of N/A for them sounds good too.

I'd probably vote in favour of adding the extra two options of "unknown" and "other" now, as the lion's share of artists probably don't have enough info in their bio (I'd imagine) to distinguish why they had the "unknown/other" gender category, though I can understand wanting to start off with a few artists already with those new categories.

Finally done.

oogboog wrote:
Does anyone think we should bump up the points required for each rank? Imo I feel recently there's been more stuff that users can edit. I know they were bumped up when we upgraded to v2, with the artists and label info, but now we have album versions/formats.

Also, I never really gave it a thought before, but I feel like there's no difference between a metal demon/freak, at least according to the access info. This is all of the info that's there right now in the help page, unless one's a typo.

Only members with a rank of Metal freak or higher can update certain fields: artist aliases, label names, album titles.
    Only members with a rank of Metal freak or higher can delete album tracks, change categories of submitted reports, and ignore discography locks.

Versions have been around for years now... The ranks are fine as is. There's no difference in permissions between freak and demon. Not every rank comes with new abilities.

eukocha wrote:
It would be cool if there was an added feature be able to comment on peoples' reviews, like below each review there could be a "comments" link that can be expanded or not (so that it doesn't take extra space if you don't want to see them). It would be awesome though because so many shitty and unfair reviews could be responded to. Plus it could add an interactive element to the site. Idk or maybe this is a terrible idea haha but damn some people write stupid shit. Apologies if I posted this is in the wrong place.

So, a feature to create drama? Hell no.

billm99uk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:58 pm 

I haven't received any approval/rejection emails since 31st October although a few entries I've made have been approved/rejected since then. I don't think I've made any changes to my account and the Receive email notifications for submission approvals/rejections? box in my settings is still checked. Nothing in my spam folder either? Something I've done or a bug of some kind? Or did you just discontinue them?

Last edited by billm99uk on Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:57 pm 

billm99uk wrote:
I haven't received any approval/rejection emails since 31st October although a few entries I've made have been approved/rejected since then. I don't think I've made any changes to my account and the <i>Receive email notifications for submission approvals/rejections?</i> box in my settings is still checked. Nothing in my spam folder either? Something I've done or a bug of some kind? Or did you just discontinue them?

I have exactly the same problem as you. No acceptance/rejection e-mails since the last seven or five days, althrough I can read the reasos for rejction on the drafts of rejectedd bands.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:17 pm 

billm99uk wrote:
I haven't received any approval/rejection emails since 31st October although a few entries I've made have been approved/rejected since then. I don't think I've made any changes to my account and the Receive email notifications for submission approvals/rejections? box in my settings is still checked. Nothing in my spam folder either? Something I've done or a bug of some kind? Or did you just discontinue them?

Oops, my bad... :oh shit: It should be fixed now.

Nihila
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:28 pm 

Any JSON stream from the database possible to integrate ?

'a while ago' I made some app that parsed the main site php, but now I am looking for direct API to the database...

lethaldeathspell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:15 am 

In the Upcoming album's list the same album is listed multiple times by the same band if there are multiple formats (CD, Cassette). If the links will be different because of the format, might as well show the format in the table.
For example, for May 14, 2021: Band: Dødsferd, Album: Skotos is listed 3 times.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:59 am 

While browsing through links, I came across this release, which does not seem to feature the "previous/next release" section at all. One of the bands, Totenkopf Standarten, does not have any releases other than this split, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

odium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:20 pm 

Anyone dealing with the increased amount of these errors recently?

For the last 3-4 days, the same problems appears at least once per 5-8 clicks on any link on the site. Different browsers, different computers - same problem. The "refresh" button has been used very often recently....

TvvrAskesis
Marathon Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:41 am 

^ Yeah, happens to me too. Also: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=132356

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:27 pm 

Hey! Just a little problem I noticed hasn't been resolved that I had brought up with one of the mods a couple years ago and that could pertain to the current review challenge: For reviewers with scribe status, when you hit 'publish' on a review, it is published with the timestamp of when the draft was initially created, not when you actually chose to publish it. A couple years back I had an empty draft that had been sitting in my account for several months and I decided to finally begin it during a challenge, only for it to be published with a date attached to it from nearly a year earlier.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:28 pm 

I can see some resistance as to the necessity of my suggestion, but I think it would be exceptionally well-recieved if we could have a "random album" button to go alongside the existing "random band" functionality.

I use the above far more often than I'd care to disclose, mainly as a two-pronged resource to discover new artists, but also to randomly find and update existing site data for whatever entry the RNG gods decide to generate. I've added so many missing releases and release versions in this manner, but also discovered labels, side-projects, and similar as a result of this.

Naturally a random release button would be swell. I often have an artist appear with a large discography and find myself unsure where to start, and I like writing reviews based on the discretion of the random result.

I feel that by being able to go to a single release instead of a single band page would be extremely helpful for reviewers and people looking to blindly discover a new project.

This site is infinitely more advanced in execution and design than RYM, but RYM has a random release function and there's an entire community that uses it to blindly review things, which is probably the main selling point for me petitioning for such - I have no doubt that people here would start running similar projects, including yours truly.

So, please can I request that this additional functionality is considered, or at least maybe someone with the technical nous can create an API or something that will do this?

Thank you.

zervyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:47 pm 

Greetings, I failed on finding info about this, In the bottom right side of bands profiles I noticed there's a link/advertisment to buy & listen their music (Apple Music, Amazon Music, etc), that's great, but I was wondering if there's a way to edit it. Because some of these links go to wrong amazon/apple musicians with similar names.

Take this example: the band Hellsing, you click the amazon link on the right side of the profile and it goes to some other Hellsing dude. I am ranked as Metal Freak but I haven't find a way to edit that part.

Also a suggestion: It would be great to add Bandcamp in there.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:36 am 

Here's a rather dumb task for the work list:

Turns out the alternate spelling field caps out at 100 characters; not sure if that is intentional or not. However, as discovered on the page for Venezuelan trio IxPxCxCxOxCxDxAxBxCxMxAxBxFxOxHx, this means the alternate spelling field is not long enough to fit the band's full name, Intestinal Parasites Carnivorous Controllers Of Cerebral Dough At Becoming Cannibal Mutation Attracted By Fresh Organs Humans.

For what it's worth, the abbreviation seems to be the "official" name that the band used on all social media and streaming sites, while the full name is more like trivia. I know that in the past, the character limit on the actual band name field has been expanded to cover obnoxiously long names, but I don't know if the staff would feel it necessary for an alternate spelling entry, for as infrequently as this will happen.

BastardHead wrote:

Lolpah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:36 pm 

The main site doesn't work for me on Firefox, it just shows a 0 in the left corner. With Edge it does work though. Someone else seems to have the same problem on Safari. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78736&start=280

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:24 pm 

Same problem with Firefox browser here. It began last week one day. Lasted for a few hours. I thought the site was down, because it suddenly began to work again.

Today the site wasn't working on Firefox for, say, 8 hours, but I found out the forums work.

It works on MS Edge, though, the main site. I wonder what's the reason.

EDIT: Okay, I tried to add "similar bands" and it couldn't be done on Edge. Everything was okay except no change to mark the band... I can give a vote to already suggested bands, but can not add a new band.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:26 pm 

Lane wrote:
Same problem with Firefox browser here. It began last week one day. Lasted for a few hours. I thought the site was down, because it suddenly began to work again.

Today the site wasn't working on Firefox for, say, 8 hours, but I found out the forums work.

It works on MS Edge, though, the main site. I wonder what's the reason.

EDIT: Okay, I tried to add "similar bands" and it couldn't be done on Edge. Everything was okay except no change to mark the band... I can give a vote to already suggested bands, but can not add a new band.

Still works on Bromite, Vanadium, and Brave for me.

odium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:25 am 

Today the site is totally lagging on chrome.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:45 pm 

odium wrote:
Today the site is totally lagging on chrome.

Yesterday the site was very laggy no matter what browser I used.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:35 am 

This is something that has bothered me for a long time, and I'm pretty sure someone must have brought it up before, and I'm also not sure if this is the right palce to ask, but anyway, here it goes:

It would be very useful that misspelled queries in the search window would return a list of closest matches, if no exact match can be found - instead of just telling that no match can be found. It's sometimes hard to remember the exact spelling of a band name (especially in a foreign language and/or containing letters with diacritical signs), or sometimes you just type it incorrectly and then wonder if the band has been removed from the archives.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:27 am 

With their ever-growing relevance to non-Western social media users, can we please add Douban and Weibo to the auto-fill names for external links?

BastardHead wrote:

STDizzle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:43 am 

I just tried to add the new In Flames album, but the site isn't letting me add a release date beyond 31/12/2022. It comes out next February.

Why they're announcing an album 5 months in advance I don't understand, but can we get it sorted so it can be added?

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:00 am 

I'm probably in the wrong thread here, but just a functionality question about the forums:

Is there a way to search within one individual thread for all posts by a particular author? I've made the insane decision to try and figure out how much I've paid for my collection, so I want to search the last album purchased thread for posts by myself. The closest I can get is to search for my username, but this just returns posts where I've been quoted, rather than all posts that I've made.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:56 pm 

What happens if a child entry with an unknown release year is given a separate listing (be that on the same band's page or another's).

E.g. Suppose I add a child version here:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/C ... ils/770713
Band: Veilcaste
Year: Unknown
+ Separate listing
https://veilcaste.com/album/sigils

How will it appear on Veilcaste's page?

odium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:21 am 

Was it made intentionally to see all link groups in one page?

https://ibb.co/wQQPpyL

KingSpooky
The Man, The Machine, The Legend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:13 pm 

odium wrote:
Was it made intentionally to see all link groups in one page?

Yes.

billm99uk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:08 pm 

This might just be a 'me' problem, but, when adding band members to a new entry the 'search' function frequently refers me back to another musician with the same or a similar name from my own unsubmitted drafts. But because the entry is a draft, it doesn't list the unsubmitted band they played in and that makes it difficult to check if they're the same person. Sometimes you can get back to the band from the date of the original artist entry, but sometimes not. Is there any easy way of getting back from a draft artist page to a draft band where you have entered them yourself?

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:33 am 

We've been using semi-colons for a while now, and I was wondering how difficult it'd be to implement them in separating the following:
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Kiefer/3540395055

Guitars, Vocals (2012-2016, 2023-present); Bass, Drums (2023-present)

_Korpi_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:27 pm 

Just wanted to say thank you for the current website design. It still works perfectly on depreciated OS and depreciated browsers.

Many other websites have changed; they require current versions of Chromium based browsers, which have dependencies on most recent OS's/devices. By having a website that is compatible with depreciated systems, you are allowing metalheads from financially/tech limited backgrounds to continue to access the website. Thank you staff of Metal Archives for supporting all metalheads \m/

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:06 pm 

I just realized I can edit submissions already in the queue if I submit them while editing a page in another tab, then saving it after the band is on the queue. This is a bit of an issue.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

fractalwizz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:20 am 

Attempting to add cover art to a recently-released album. Image within upload parameters (< 250kb). Page gives following error.

Quote:
Internal error: Could not upload the image /tmp/phpRleEVl. Please verify the permissions on the folder.

Of relevant note, if other parts of the album form are updated, I believe those edits would still be saved despite the presented error (except the art, of course).
At least that was the experience with the 'Adding Album' form.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:53 pm 

fractalwizz wrote:
Attempting to add cover art to a recently-released album. Image within upload parameters (< 250kb). Page gives following error.

Quote:
Internal error: Could not upload the image /tmp/phpRleEVl. Please verify the permissions on the folder.

Of relevant note, if other parts of the album form are updated, I believe those edits would still be saved despite the presented error (except the art, of course).
At least that was the experience with the 'Adding Album' form.

Hmm, strange. What's the album?

fractalwizz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:15 pm 

Specifically this one: https://cats.metal-archives.com/albums/Se_Lusiferin_Kannel/II/1173431

You'll see that at one time (yesterday), there were duplicate records for the same album. Most likely caused by the issue I shared, just on adding an album instead of updating.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:58 pm 

fractalwizz wrote:
Specifically this one: https://cats.metal-archives.com/albums/Se_Lusiferin_Kannel/II/1173431

You'll see that at one time (yesterday), there were duplicate records for the same album. Most likely caused by the issue I shared, just on adding an album instead of updating.

Oh, you're using the cats subdomain. :-D It should still work but there seems to be a bug related to that. I'll see if I can do something about it, but you can just use the regular site and uploads should work normally.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:15 am 

For some reason whenever I modify an album, there is always an extra entry in the modification history that says I modified the vinyl-specific RPM and Size fields even though I did not. The before and after slots are always blank, and this seems to occur on any album regardless of what format it is in. I don't think this is hurting anything really, but it is weird.

This is probably overkill but here is every album I've modified where this extra edit has occurred:

https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... id/1145195
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... id/1143153
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... id/1148853
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... /id/668856
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... id/1155126
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... /id/726159
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... /id/960748
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... id/1160936
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... id/1162708
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... id/1162553
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... id/1162659
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... id/1162558