Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:56 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
I know what you mean and I suggested it to the people who wanted bookmarks but people mostly said they didn't really need it... I could add it if there's really a big demand, I guess. :scratch:

It wouldn't hurt to have it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:52 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
The band search is for bands listed on the site.

I'm pretty sure that Alhadis was referring to the artist search, not the band search, and was proposing that non-metal bands be listed in a given artist's "example" bands if that list hasn't already been filled by >3 metal bands (which, honestly, sounds like a good idea).

Er... but it's already the case...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:36 pm 

Hey, another suggestion...

Is there a way to show if users are on a band/artist/label profile? I was thinking about that, since multiple users could be on the same profile, and one user could be on the edit page while another user had already made the edit (ie, a mistake pointed out in a report). I remember Alhadis was yelling at Dreadlockmocio some time ago about editing band logos.

Maybe something could be done to prevent future possibilities from happening?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:37 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Er... but it's already the case...

I was about to say "not for artist searches when editing line-ups", but I just searched for Kurt Cobain in the artist search list, and BAM, "Nirvana" appeared... :confused: Weird, could've sworn unlisted bands weren't showing up for artists the other day...

Quote:
I remember Alhadis was yelling at Dreadlockmocio some time ago about editing band logos.

Me, yelling at somebody...? :oh shit: NAAAAAAAAAAAAHH.

Interesting idea though, I'll file a ticket for it. :)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:53 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
I was about to say "not for artist searches when editing line-ups", but I just searched for Kurt Cobain in the artist search list, and BAM, "Nirvana" appeared... :confused: Weird, could've sworn unlisted bands weren't showing up for artists the other day...

Are you per chance forgetting the 30 seconds delay in updating the index...?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:14 pm 

Okay, so I was adding non-metal bands to Joey Jordison's list of bands he'd played in. I added Korn as a live band, unchecked the box stating that he still played in the band, and set his beginning year field as 2007. I don't know when he stopped playing with Korn live, so I left the ending year field blank. He's now listed as Korn's live drummer from "2007-present", instead of "2007-?".

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:50 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Are you per chance forgetting the 30 seconds delay in updating the index...?

... oops. :oh shit: Yeah, erh, disregard.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:57 pm 

Would it be possible to have the reports filtered by country in the queue? That would be very useful.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

~Guest 290927
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:33 am 

Sorry if this has been brought up before. I suggest we add catalog numbers to albums. By doing this, we can (a) track the complete discography of a record label if the label uses catalog numbers (an example), (b) allow multiple catalogues/label to point to a single album, if the album is co-released by several labels.

By far, in MA, I have never seen a complete discography for any label, because MA only allows one label per album and does not record non-metal releases. Now we can still find useful info on some dead labels, but as time passes, info vanishes online, so it will be more difficult to retrieve it. Lets do it before it's too late.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:30 pm 

SnowListener: These guys are doing something like what you mention.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:55 pm 

It's in the works. Our labels and albums set-up needs to be improved, and it will be.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:46 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Would it be possible to have the reports filtered by country in the queue? That would be very useful.

So?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:55 pm 

I'm not saying it's a stupid idea, but I don't really see what good that would accomplish. Might I ask what would be the rationale for such a suggestion?

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:06 pm 

Easy. Most people are familiar with their "local" metal scene (By "local" I mean city, state, area, or even the whole country). If the report queue was filtered by country, one can focus on checking for reports of bands/albums/labels from his/her "local" scene, making it easier to clear the queue, instead of stumbling upon reports while browsing, or checking on the queue to find the ones you can solve. Also, it will erase the problem of checking for "Which 'Gehenna' is the one reported? The one from Country X, Kingdom Y or Republic Z?"

EDIT: I forgot to mention that most other lists can be filtered by country. I don't see why the report queue should be different.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:34 pm 

Because the report queue is a complex query that combines lists of bands, artists, labels and releases all together. To find the country it'd complicate things, especially for reported splits (which band's country am I showing now?). It's not that simple I'm afraid, but I can always file a report request in the issue tracker.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:45 pm 

Or maybe you could make it so the band's country shows up in it's name just in the report queue? To have something like Asphyx (NL) / Hooded Menace (Fin) for that split could clear up some things, I would think.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:21 pm 

Can the rejection reason be removed from the "status" column of "My Bands" when a band gets approved? The rejection reason for my last band was kinda long, and I hate scrolling for so long just to reach the bottom of the page.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:17 pm 

oogboog wrote:
Can the rejection reason be removed from the "status" column of "My Bands" when a band gets approved? The rejection reason for my last band was kinda long, and I hate scrolling for so long just to reach the bottom of the page.

What're you talking about? The rejection reason isn't displayed in the status column... and if you mean on the band's page itself, it's removed if the band gets approved.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:21 am 

Wait, you can't look at my band drafts? Oh well, I'll just show you then.

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... ow/sem.jpg
(warning, big picture)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:00 am 

:lol: :lol:
Ahem... no, we can't look at your drafts. And is it just me or is the irony of you taking a photograph of your screen to show a message that tells you how to take a screenshot just way too precious? :lol:

Anyway, it seems there was a glitch when displaying the rejection reason as a tooltip when the message contained special characters. I've fixed it (and also don't display the rejection reason tooltip if the band is approved), so it should be OK now.

But dude, seriously... taking a pic of the screen...? I'm sorry but that's just too funny. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:08 am 

Morrigan wrote:
And is it just me or is the irony of you taking a photograph of your screen to show a message that tells you how to take a screenshot just way too precious? :lol:

Image LOL, oh man... I should've included instructions on how to do a screenshot on Windows XP, but I felt the message was already long enough. :p

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:22 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
And is it just me or is the irony of you taking a photograph of your screen to show a message that tells you how to take a screenshot just way too precious? :lol:

Image LOL, oh man... I should've included instructions on how to do a screenshot on Windows XP, but I felt the message was already long enough. :p

Well, you definitely could have saved me there. :fuck: Now I feel like such a dumbass. :(

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:30 pm 

:nono: Eh, no instructions on how to take screenshots with Ubuntu!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
:nono: Eh, no instructions on how to take screenshots with Ubuntu!

FUCK DA POLICE

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:46 pm 

Recently, Porman had been deleting some artists that I have added to my draft bands. He said that he was following some reports that someone filed, that these artists look like orphan entries (though he would have noticed the orange box that indicates if it is an orphan :???: ). Argus Monitor had been doing this to some bands in the queue, too.

Should something be done to change this? It might help to avoid situations like this.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:01 pm 

We actually can't see if an artist is attached to any band drafts, but if an artist shows up in the search results as not being attached to any bands, Porman and Argus might've mistaken them as orphan entries.

I'm chalking this up as an oversight on either moderator's behalf, though.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:16 pm 

They should definitely NOT delete what appear to be orphan artists, and should totally ignore such reports (UNLESS they are auto-reports). True orphans (not attached to drafts) are mass-purged automatically after a while.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:20 am 

Well, they appeared in the report queue. I didn't look them up and deleted them.

What bands are we talking about?

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:40 am 

I think I was the one who was reporting those artists because there were no lineup entries. A few days ago I was told to check the band queue before submitting those reports and since then I have always been checking the band queue, but I never even considered that those artists could be in someone's draft bands. I thought they were added to the band queue, the band was rejected and the artists stayed on the site.

So are artists that are in people's draft bands really added to the site? I thought I was being helpful by reporting a shitload of orphan entries so that moderators would get rid of them, but it seems as though I haven't been very helpful at all. I guess I'd better quit with those reports, the artists would probably be in someone's draft bands and will soon be submitted to the band queue.

oogboog wrote:
Should something be done to change this? It might help to avoid situations like this.

Yes, in my opinion.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:05 pm 

Porman wrote:
Well, they appeared in the report queue. I didn't look them up and deleted them.

What bands are we talking about?

For me, it was for Deimos and In the Frost. Argus also did it for "Admortem", which is still in the band queue.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:18 pm 

How do you come across these orphan artists?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:38 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
How do you come across these orphan artists?

All orphan artists appear in the report queue under the category of "Should be Removed".

You've never seen one before?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:44 pm 

I'm not talking about auto-reports... I'm asking HouseSpiders how he reports them.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:21 am 

Actually, I don't report them anymore because apparently it's not very helpful, artists in people's draft bands were going in the bin. I've seen auto-reports, but I don't quite know how people report them and I don't think I've ever filed an auto-report.

When I saw an orphan artist, I checked the band queue to see if the artist was in there, if the artist is not in there I would report him/her for removal, then the mod goes on to delete the artist.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:14 pm 

My question was how you came across these orphans in the first place...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:53 pm 

I usually take a quick look at people's profiles, collections, modifications etc. When I looked at their modification history, if I ever found artists added one after the other without being saved to any lineups, I knew they'd be orphans.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:29 pm 

Okay, just remember from now on, an artist is not an "orphan entry" when it looks like this unless there is only one tab, which is the report tab (under the category of "Should be Removed").

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:38 pm 

Also, please refrain from trying to "report" orphaned artists. As Morrigan said, "true" orphans are mass-purged every few days, so it's pointless trying to report them individually anyway.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:07 am 

I said I'd quit in the last posts! Can someone tell me how auto-reports get into the queue.

Last edited by Midnightwards666 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:11 am 

Auto-reports are generated when you remove an artist from the last/only line-up they were featured on, at which point a dialogue will pop-up asking if you'd like to file the artist for deletion.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 65  Next