Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:23 pm 

oogboog wrote:
What's this new rank of "Metal knight"?
http://www.metal-archives.com/users/Drowned

Quote:
We see that you're very enthusiastic about the site and know how to properly do edits, handle reports and have a very good understanding of MA's rules, mechanics and policies in general. For this reason we decided to award you with a special rank, "Metal Knight", which gives you additional editing privileges trusted users and ranks below do not have. Specifically, you can now also (in addition to the abilities given to trusted users):

-Close reports
-Give points to users making valid/helpful reports when closing them
-Delete orphan artists and labels
-Merge artists and labels

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:41 pm 

A valient Encyclopaedia warrior that the Lords have dubbed themselves.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:25 pm 

Label pages have a "clear cache" link at the bottom where band/album pages would link the V1 version. It's not visible when I'm not logged in, so I guess it's just something that metal knights ended up with a link to but not the permissions to use.

ex: http://www.metal-archives.com/tools/cle ... abel/id/24

"Error:

Access denied

You do not have the proper credentials to access this page."

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:49 pm 

:oh shit:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 290927
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:39 am 

Hellblazer, can you increase the picture size limit at least for split albums? They usually have two cover arts, one for each band. Usually if I combine the two covers, I get a pic between 50kb--100kb. In order to upload a "full" cover, I have to make it smaller or bad quality, which is stupid.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:47 am 

Snow Listener, regarding this split you added, you could've squashed a pointless 7 KBs of metadata out of the image by using this handy little tool which strips out metadata: http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=30. More on that here.

Also, you shouldn't save a JPEG directly from Photoshop; use the "Save for Web..." option from the File menu. :p

Aaaaand when combining covers, could you please compile them vertically? It fits a lot better - see this for example.

TvvrAskesis
Marathon Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:44 pm 

Netherlands Antilles no longer exists as a seperate country (since 2010) and should maybe be removed from the list of countries, and Curaçao and Sint Maarten should both be added to that list.

The band Morto Kacho (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Morto_Kacho/103297) was from the Netherlands Antilles, but, since they're from Willemstad, that should probably be changed to Curaçao.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands_Antilles

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:51 pm 

Will Carroll appears with Vicious Rumors as a "current band" even though he is a past live member and is listed as such. The last edit was Azmodes changing him from Band Member to Live Musician, perhaps that has something to do with it. I also don't have an "edit" icon listed next to this band on his page.

http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Will_Carroll/6115

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:48 pm 

Am I supposed to be able to edit moderation notes for labels, but not on anything else?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:31 am 

No. I'll look into it. Please PM me when you find security-related bugs next time.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:50 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Will Carroll appears with Vicious Rumors as a "current band" even though he is a past live member and is listed as such. The last edit was Azmodes changing him from Band Member to Live Musician, perhaps that has something to do with it. I also don't have an "edit" icon listed next to this band on his page.

That's because he is now only listed on the album lineups (as a full member, which should probably be changed then) and not in the main full members lineup. That's less a bug and more just a situation that doesn't make any sense and should be corrected. Did he perform as a guest/session member on those albums?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:33 pm 

TvvrAskesis wrote:
Netherlands Antilles no longer exists as a seperate country (since 2010) and should maybe be removed from the list of countries, and Curaçao and Sint Maarten should both be added to that list.

The band Morto Kacho (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Morto_Kacho/103297) was from the Netherlands Antilles, but, since they're from Willemstad, that should probably be changed to Curaçao.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands_Antilles

Thanks for the info. I adjusted the countries.

I noticed you changed this band's country to Aruba. But all the members were still set as being from Netherlands Antilles. I changed them to Curaçao, but should they be changed to Aruba as well?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:16 pm 

Not exactly too important, but the word "anonymous" is misspelled at the top of the page.
http://www.metal-archives.com/todo/no-lineup

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:27 am 

Looks fine to me though.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:49 am 

... that'd be because it's already been corrected. ;)

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:28 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ky ... abs_lineup

In the Kyuss 4-way "In Ya Face", members of non-MA bands Green Day and Drown are split apart. The drummers from both bands do not appear listed alongside their bandmates, and thus the Drown and Green Day headers appear twice in the lineup tab

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:34 pm 

Those Green Day members aren't even in any metal bands or in anything related to metal other than that split. :| Their artist profiles should probably be deleted from the database.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:40 pm 

Correct. I've deleted all artists only linked to MA via non-metal bands featured on that split.

TvvrAskesis
Marathon Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:06 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
I noticed you changed this band's country to Aruba. But all the members were still set as being from Netherlands Antilles. I changed them to Curaçao, but should they be changed to Aruba as well?

Yes, most likely.

Since Aruba has been a country since 1986 they probably never should have been listed as being from Netherlands Antilles in the first place. (By the way, since the Country is now changed to Aruba, their Location should be changed as well, since Aruba is not a city or village (but I don't know what their location actually is).)

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:32 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
I've deleted all artists only linked to MA via non-metal bands featured on that split.

So then what's the policy on this? Cause I've added tons artists to a number of splits that are only found as a part of the non-metal band of a split. I assumed this was acceptable, seeing as you're given the option to add artists for the non-MA band while adding line-ups to splits (I've even filed reports on artists that fall into this category that have been cleared as fine by mods), but if it turns out that this is not allowed, I have a long list of artists that'll need to be removed...

BastardHead wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:37 am 

I think the idea behind it was to allow adding artists for non-MA bands for those splits provided specifically those artists already had other links to MA in the first place, otherwise the connection is just too tenuous to justify a full-blown page on a metal encyclopedia. I saw those Green Day guys had very extensive pages, which is rather out of place considering the only thing they did was perform with their own band on a split with one metal band.

I'm not 100% sure this is the current policy intended by the owners when they added this feature, though.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:46 am 

I think it only makes sense to include those types of artists when completing the unlisted band's side of the line-up. That is, if the artists on the unlisted band's side of the split play in other metal bands listed on the 'Archives, whereas some of them don't. The reason for that being is it seems kind of pointless to include half a line-up and then detail the rest in the additional notes. :rolleyes:

(Did any of that make sense...?)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:56 am 

Yes, incomplete album lineups are an ugly side-effect, on that I can agree. But besides the site's scope thing, I'm also viewing this from an artist page's -not an album entry's- perspective, where crediting him or her with his or her non-MA band on a split makes more sense. Maybe I'm just afraid of countless entries for grind musicians that get added based on all the splits with more metallic bands out there, but no connection otherwise. :P

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:02 am 

Should duplicate entry reports still show up in the queue as requiring moderator attention? They don't actually still need moderator attention as metal knights can fix them now, but there are only 9 metal knights on the site at the moment and many of them don't check the report queue anyway, so maybe they could stay as they are... Any ideas?

Last edited by Midnightwards666 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:08 am 

No harm in leaving them as they are.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:24 am 

Alhadis wrote:
I think it only makes sense to include those types of artists when completing the unlisted band's side of the line-up. That is, if the artists on the unlisted band's side of the split play in other metal bands listed on the 'Archives, whereas some of them don't. The reason for that being is it seems kind of pointless to include half a line-up and then detail the rest in the additional notes. :rolleyes:

(Did any of that make sense...?)

Possible solution: when adding a new band member (i.e. their name has 0 search results) to a split album's entry, there could be a checkbox or something of the sort that says "Is this artist playing in a non-metal band?" If checked, the member shows up on the album's lineup, but they don't get their own artist profile. I don't know whether or not this is impossible within the current constraints of the site's programming, but as an alternative, you might also be able to set it to where if you add a completely new artist to the database, and choose a non-metal band when the site asks what band the member played on, the member will be added to the album's lineup but have no individual profile of their own, sort of how the "add a non-Archives band" feature works on the artist pages themselves. It might be handy in this case, then, to enable searching for these essentially profile-less artists when adding lineups, just in case Billie Joe Armstrong decides he wants to form a technical death metal band one day.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:24 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Words

Well, this is a problem you can run into. We have cases like Kurt Colbain, who we all know for Nirvana, and is listed here on the site for a Nirvana/Melvins split. However, he is also here as a guest artist for a handful of MA-approved releases. While there are a number of instances like the Green Day guys, who only have one appearance with the non-metal half of a split, there are an equal number of instances where these split artists are featured in other capacities on the site (such as Bob Wayne). And even still, those only appearing in non-metal split appearances can have a decent presence, such as Giulio the Bastard from Cripple Bastards, who has 10 split appearances despite his band being blacklisted.

BastardHead wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:34 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
MalignantThrone wrote:
Words

Well, this is a problem you can run into. We have cases like Kurt Colbain, who we all know for Nirvana, and is listed here on the site for a Nirvana/Melvins split.

Well, to be more exact, Kurt Cobain was first added because of his participation as a guest on Earth/Melvins albums. The feature allowing him to be properly added for the Nirvana/Melvins split came after. Just sayin'. :)

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:10 pm 

Is it planned to change the lineup tools to allow adding artists to multiple bands on a split? It's probably low-priority, but would it be worth using the site-related tasks forum to make a list of releases that will need this fixed when it it enabled?

One here, so I don't forget it. http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/In ... Sun/351066

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:38 am 

Why is it not possible to add a birthdate to an artist page with only a month and day? I assume it was to do with the age calculation feature? I there no way to allow for a birthdate without that function?

BastardHead wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:28 am 

Why should there be? A date of birth without at least the year seems pretty useless to me. If we're going to use the field, best use it properly. If anyone is interested whether his and the artist's birthdays match or whatever you can always add it to the trivia section.

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:25 am 

I wonder, has it been suggested to implement an auto-link system in the forum?

In some other forums I hang out in (concerning a certain almost two decade old trading card game) you can wrap a certain kind of code around the name of something and that name will automatically become an out-going link to the proper page for that name.

For instance, if you posted Wintersun with 'band' codes, like so: [band]Wintersun[/band], when you posted the message the band name there would come out like this: Wintersun. Could also work with albums.

Pardon me if this has already been brought forward and rejected. I figured it might have, because the Archives are so large and all.

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:26 pm 

I don't remember if someone suggested it, but it'd be a forum feature and.... oh gods why do I bother.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:35 pm 

Yeah, I stickied this old thing. Maybe that helps. ;)

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:09 pm 

Could the box for editing "additional notes" on albums be a bit bigger? It currently fits four lines. While I don't write/edit extensive notes in that box, when removing credits that have been added to V2, it's a bit difficult to keep track of where I am in that window.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:12 pm 

Assuming you're not using shitty Internet Exploiter, you should have no problems expanding the size of the text area yourself. ;)

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:16 pm 

Did we ever come up with a clear answer to the question about adding members of non-MA bands to split album line-ups? I was going to add the line-up for ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead to the split the did with Dethklok, but I wasn't sure if that was being encouraged or not.

BastardHead wrote:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:32 am 

Alhadis wrote:
Assuming you're not using shitty Internet Exploiter, you should have no problems expanding the size of the text area yourself. ;)

:lol: Why did I never notice this before?

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:02 pm 

I noticed this band's genre is saved as "Death \'n\' Roll, Stoner Metal" (with magic quotes).
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Carcharodon/94966

It's not visible unless you look at similar artist pages, for example: http://www.metal-archives.com/recommend ... /bandId/76

I don't know if you want to ignore it or just resave the genre. However, if it's one, there's probably more. Which is basically the reason why I make a thread instead of reporting the band, because I believe the best solution is for a web developer to run a script to fix all and be done with it for good, instead of fixing one by one and having them pop up for years.

Azmodes: I've moved the post here. This is exactly what this thread is about.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:45 am 

At first I thought this might've had something to do with the output on the page, but I resaved the band's genre and noticed the quote marks vanished... :lol:

Meh. I'll fix 'em all by hand, there can't be that many. ;)

EDIT: Okay, I just went through all 267 results here and searched for their names on a band's Similar Artists page (after clicking on the "Recommend a band similar to X" link... I noticed Carcharodon's genre appeared fucked in the search results as well).

Nope. Couldn't find a single damn case of an unescaped quote mark. So yeah, I think it's really just a one-off thing, dude. :p

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 65  Next