Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:56 pm 

Attention, contributors and children of technology! Unlisted bands appearing in artists' notes ("also played with:" etc.) can be added as proper non-MA entries under "active bands" by default if it is not known/obvious whether they're active or not. This should help with clearing those. It's a kind of "until proven otherwise" approach and having such bands potentially listed incorrectly is a comparatively minor issue that will gradually be fixed later on anyway.

And remember, it's also okay to pick "unknown" as a role if it isn't specified either. Of course, nothing wrong with a little research online to fill in the gaps. ;)

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:37 am 

Yesterday I filed a report asking for a moderator to remove a split with 6 bands from the site and I used these "important reminders" as proof that the album should be removed, but I was told that the rule has changed now. Can you update the fifth important reminder to "albums that have more than six bands"?

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:28 am 

Eh? I'm assuming this is a bug, I removed some artists from the band "G.U.T." on this split and then I totally deleted them from the Archives as the only band they were linked to was a blacklisted band, but the artists I deleted still appear on the split, and when I click on the artists the link is broken, and I can't figure out how to remove the artists (with broken links) from the split, they don't show up when editing the lineup. Can anyone help? Morrigan?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Edit: Ignore this, it's fixed now. :)

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:20 pm 

Arising from this report: http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... 7/show/all

The order of bands listed on a split can't be re-arranged, which is a bit confusing when a split has two titles combined into one where it is "Band B's Title / Band A's Title" but the bands are listed as Band A / Band B. Azmodes said he couldn't rearrange it either.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:13 pm 

In such cases you can just re-add the album and we'll delete the old entry.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:32 pm 

It wouldn't help, the order in which the bands are added does not matter. It would be quite a hassle to fix, to be honest...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:34 pm 

To be frank, does it really matter?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:36 pm 

It does look kinda weird there... :\

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:57 pm 

I need feedback on something, please check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=94505

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:44 pm 

Some of the newest bands still have that "Only mods can edit data" box.

EDIT: It's fixed now, nevermind.

The_Black_Priest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:11 am 

Anyone thought of adding multiple labels in a band's page??
Most bands multiple labels..but current feature allows us to add only one..

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:04 pm 

Requested.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:11 am 

Need feedback on the band activity periods I've setup on http://dev.metal-archives.com, check these examples (and feel free to start populating the data, it'll still be valid):

http://dev.metal-archives.com/bands/Candlemass/34
http://dev.metal-archives.com/bands/Mercyful_Fate/182
http://dev.metal-archives.com/bands/Rhapsody_of_Fire/32 (woohoo clusterfuck :D)
http://dev.metal-archives.com/bands/Immortal/75
http://dev.metal-archives.com/bands/Treblinka/9478
http://dev.metal-archives.com/bands/Kreator/157

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:20 am 

Hmm. I'll fiddle around with it a bit more, but at first glance it seems pretty nice. (Was going to ask about why you were keeping the "Formed in" field, but then I saw the example of Rhapsody of Fire...fair enough. :)) A couple suggestions:

• There needs to be a way to mark an end date as unknown. Say Misanthropic Disgorgement Euphoria form in 1991, split up at an unknown date and then reunite in 2007. There's no way to mark the first date with "unknown"; it's listed as "1991-present, 2007-present" on the site.
  • An aesthetic issue more than anything, but I personally think the different eras would look nicer if they were separated with semicolons instead of commas. It might just be me, though, so I'll wait to see what other people have to say about it.

Aside from that I have no immediate complaints. It's integrated a lot more smoothly than I imagined it, and I like that you accounted for name changes between bands. I'll go fill in some date ranges for bands as they come to mind.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:47 am 

I think it looks pretty nice. Everything appears more vibrant and full, and I agree with MalignantThrone--the accounting for name changes is definitely an improvement. Perhaps band and album titles could be made bold as well?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:53 am 

^ Album titles? Wat?

Hmm just found a minor bug. It doesn't show the person who touched the band activity stuff as last modifier. Gonna fix it asap.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:00 am 

Morrigan wrote:
^ Album titles? Wat?

I mean on album pages:
http://dev.metal-archives.com/albums/Me ... elissa/745

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:04 am 

...still not getting WTF you're talking about. :???:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:10 am 

Me neither. Sly, this is about the band's periods of activity (e.g. 1984-1994, 1997-2004, 2004-present, such as Candlemass splitting up and reuniting a few times). This feature does not affect albums in any way...

(The minor bug mentioned above should be fixed now. Point attribution should be ok now too.)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:13 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
...still not getting WTF you're talking about. :???:

:D When you're viewing an album page, where the titles of the album and band are located.
Morrigan wrote:
Me neither. Sly, this is about the band's periods of activity (e.g. 1984-1994, 1997-2004, 2004-present, such as Candlemass splitting up and reuniting a few times). This feature does not affect albums in any way...

Well, alright.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:37 am 

Wait, is the text bolded due to the new design or because the features are still under development?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:08 am 

*applauds* Morri, you've really outdone yourself this time. :D Congratulations, and thanks for this!! This is exactly how I imagined the feature to look... absolutely fucking perfect. :love:

Quote:
http://dev.metal-archives.com/bands/Rhapsody_of_Fire/32 (woohoo clusterfuck :D)

True, but that's kind of to be expected when you've a convoluted history of name changes...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:44 am 

Sly93 wrote:
Wait, is the text bolded due to the new design or because the features are still under development?

There is no bolded text dude... and this isn't about fonts.

Alhadis wrote:
*applauds* Morri, you've really outdone yourself this time. :D Congratulations, and thanks for this!! This is exactly how I imagined the feature to look... absolutely fucking perfect. :love:

Thanks!

But I might need to make some more tweaks, for the weirdo cases where some years are known and others are unknown... I'll see what I can do.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:52 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Alhadis wrote:

Thanks!

But I might need to make some more tweaks, for the weirdo cases where some years are known and others are unknown... I'll see what I can do.

Maybe something like: 1991-N/A, 1998-2004 OR 1991-????, 1998-2004

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:05 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Maybe something like: 1991-N/A, 1998-2004 OR 1991-????, 1998-2004

The formatting isn't the problem. A "?" should work fine. It's about sorting and other things. See this band and compare the years active with the additional notes: http://dev.metal-archives.com/bands/Hyp ... _369/21967

As the order is currently based on the years, incarnations without a beginning year are simply moved to the start, which looks confusing. I've suggested that maybe the ranges could be sorted manually. (You'll also notice that the current band name is simply represented by a lone "?", because their is no starting year entered). Also, a past incarnation without an ending year is displayed as "1994-present" instead of "1994-?". A checkbox "active?" like with lineups could solve this.

Otherwise great work! :thumbsup:

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:53 pm 

Awesome, Morrigan. That new feature is fucking great!

Just one question, in the case of Rhapsody, is it right to list, besides the actual year range for RoF, also the year range for LTR? Wouldn't that be confusing?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:43 pm 

After a long discussion with Az, Derigin and HellBlazer, I've made some changes: we can now use a ~ symbol to prefix approximate years for unknown years. This will allow us to correctly tag unknown dates (YYYY-? as opposed to YYYY-present), as well as force the correct sorting when the order of name changes is known but not the dates (as with Azmodes's Hyperion example).

Years with the ~ prefix will not be displayed on the band page, and are used purely for sorting, so they can be total guesswork or even inaccurate, and that's okay.

Regarding Rhapsody, it's a special case. Normally when band members split and form new bands, they shouldn't be documented here (but on their artist pages). However, in this case, both RoF and LTR claim Rhapsody's band history as their own, and both have a legitimate case (both bands having "Rhapsody" in the name, Luca Turilli being the founder and main creative force, but the other members being, well, still called RoF and outnumbering Luca) so I also added the years for LTR. The additional notes explain the details.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:29 pm 

Ah, yeah, it makes sense. I never thought about it that way. Seems pretty logical, and yes, both cases are valid. A big "duh" for me.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Haat888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:21 am 

artist index seems down again, I've tried to add some members but it won't let me do it :(

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:48 am 

Seems fine now; I was adding the line-up for an album not too long ago without any trouble.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:00 am 

Haat888 wrote:
artist index seems down again, I've tried to add some members but it won't let me do it :(

Hmm, what do you mean, "won't let you do it"? I just tried adding an artist, then searching for it, and it worked fine. There shouldn't be any more indexing problems since I upgraded the search engine last month...

Haat888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:13 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
Haat888 wrote:

Hmm, what do you mean, "won't let you do it"? I just tried adding an artist, then searching for it, and it worked fine. There shouldn't be any more indexing problems since I upgraded the search engine last month...

This morning it was not working, I tried to add some artists and it never worked even after 2-3 minutes waiting and the newly added artists did not appear in the search option but now it works perfectly :)

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:25 pm 

Hmm, odd. :scratch:

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:52 am 

I seriously think we need to use a different notation for separating periods of activity under different names. Maybe a slash - as it very cleanly separates the periods from each other without looking ambiguous.

For instance, look at Tormentor's page.
Quote:
1982 (as Tyrant), 1982-1984, 1984-present (as Kreator)

At first glance, it kinda looks like Tormentor isn't even mentioned in the activity period, and almost implies Kreator took a break in 1984 for a while.

I'd suggest this... or fuck, maybe even this (using a different colour for the delimiters looks pretty neat, IMHO).

EDIT: Also, just noticed that multiple year ranges aren't being grouped correctly when viewed on another incarnation's page. See here:
Quote:
1994-1998 (as Vahrzaw), 2005-present (as Vahrzaw)

Also, would I be right in assuming that any additional notes that don't describe anything not already obvious in the "Years active" field can be deleted? That is, notes like the ones on Midgard's page that don't go beyond describing the band's reasons for name changing, or any specific months... :)

And would I also be right in assuming we're NOT to use this field for covering "minor name changes"...?

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:48 pm 

I just sent a report on Dethklok's Dethalbum III page for typos in the lyrics and after I send the report it said something along the lines of your report has been sent, view report queue, etc, but two options were close and send, isn't that send unnecessary. And when I checked the report queue my report was listed under "should be removed" I'm pretty sure I filed it under typos.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:16 pm 

Garchomp4ever wrote:
I just sent a report on Dethklok's Dethalbum III page for typos in the lyrics and after I send the report it said something along the lines of your report has been sent, view report queue, etc, but two options were close and send, isn't that send unnecessary. And when I checked the report queue my report was listed under "should be removed" I'm pretty sure I filed it under typos.

I asked about this a while ago, here's the answer:

Morrigan wrote:
Eh? The Send button is what sends it in the first place, it just doesn't get removed cause I'm too lazy to hide it after the submit.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:07 pm 

Are we to list artist line-ups under the same format as bands now? (i.e. band active 1990-1991, 1992-present | vocalist active 1990-1991, 1992-present or still listed as 1990-present)?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:41 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
I seriously think we need to use a different notation for separating periods of activity under different names. Maybe a slash - as it very cleanly separates the periods from each other without looking ambiguous.

For instance, look at Tormentor's page.
Quote:
1982 (as Tyrant), 1982-1984, 1984-present (as Kreator)

At first glance, it kinda looks like Tormentor isn't even mentioned in the activity period, and almost implies Kreator took a break in 1984 for a while.

I have no idea what you're talking about... it looks fine to me.

Quote:
I'd suggest this... or fuck, maybe even this (using a different colour for the delimiters looks pretty neat, IMHO).

Um, things look fine as they are... I don't see how having slashes or pipes instead of commas change anything.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, just noticed that multiple year ranges aren't being grouped correctly when viewed on another incarnation's page. See here:
1994-1998 (as Vahrzaw), 2005-present (as Vahrzaw)

Again, what is incorrect in here?

Quote:
Also, would I be right in assuming that any additional notes that don't describe anything not already obvious in the "Years active" field can be deleted? That is, notes like the ones on Midgard's page that don't go beyond describing the band's reasons for name changing, or any specific months... :)

Yes.

Quote:
And would I also be right in assuming we're NOT to use this field for covering "minor name changes"...?

Why the hell not? I've documented Desperados/Dezperadoz, Nocturnal Mortum/Nokturnal Mortum, etc. If the current band's past names each have several minor name changes it might be overkill, but for those in relation to the current band, sure.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:51 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Um, things look fine as they are... I don't see how having slashes or pipes instead of commas change anything.

Are you sure? Consider the following...

Band A Active 1982-1984, split up for four years. Reactivated in 1988-1993 before changing name to Band B in 1993. Played that way for a few years before changing name to Band C in 1996. This is how it'd be presented on the page:
Quote:
1982-1984, 1988-1993, 1993-1996 (as Band B), 1996-present (as Band C).

... seeing an issue here? There's no clear way to determine if there was a name change or a gap in activity...

Quote:
Again, what is incorrect in here?

... well, shouldn't it be "1994-1998, 2005-present (as Vahrzaw)" instead of showing two groups...?

Quote:
Why the hell not? I've documented Desperados/Dezperadoz, Nocturnal Mortum/Nokturnal Mortum, etc. If the current band's past names each have several minor name changes it might be overkill, but for those in relation to the current band, sure.

Nevermind. I was thinking of stuff like this.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:22 pm 

The "Reports" tab appears on this album even though there are no open reports: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ca ... and/344988

Checked it in both Chrome and Firefox and it's there even though the only report on the page was closed months ago.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 65  Next