Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:21 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
The "Reports" tab appears on this album even though there are no open reports: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ca ... and/344988

Checked it in both Chrome and Firefox and it's there even though the only report on the page was closed months ago.

I don't see it (also on Chrome). You try clearing your caches?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:26 pm 

It's gone now, but I saw it earlier today.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:32 pm 

So, is it safe to deploy the new year range feature on the main site domain, you think?

Alhadis wrote:
Are you sure? Consider the following...

Band A Active 1982-1984, split up for four years. Reactivated in 1988-1993 before changing name to Band B in 1993. Played that way for a few years before changing name to Band C in 1996. This is how it'd be presented on the page:
Quote:
1982-1984, 1988-1993, 1993-1996 (as Band B), 1996-present (as Band C).

... seeing an issue here? There's no clear way to determine if there was a name change or a gap in activity...

I guess not, but but the additional notes can clarify ambiguous situations like that. How would pipes make any difference in your scenario?

Quote:
... well, shouldn't it be "1994-1998, 2005-present (as Vahrzaw)" instead of showing two groups...?

No...? Midgard was known as Vahrzaw in both those year ranges. The way you'd present it, one would think Midgard was active (as Midgard) between 1994-1998...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:39 pm 

I think I get the point Alhadis is trying to make. Without the pipes, there's no way to tell whether the second year range applies to band A or band B - i.e., was band A active from 1982-1984 and 1988-1993, or was band B active from 1988-1993 and 1993-1996?

With pipes, you could present it like this:

1982-1984, 1988-1993 | 1993-1996 (as Band B) | 1996-present (as Band C)

...which leaves no ambiguity as to which band has multiple year ranges, as opposed to the all-commas approach.

Last edited by MalignantThrone on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:02 pm 

^

I like that idea, too. Anything to help clarity can't hurt to add, and that would definitely help clarity.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:24 pm 

Except I don't have a way to magically tell them apart. I can try to do some convoluted hack to check if the "next" band name is different and put a pipe instead of a comma, but then you'd still get something like this:

Quote:
1992-1994 (as Necromancy) | 1994 | 1994 (as Utgard-Loki) | 1994 (as Deathcult) | 1994-1998 (as Vahrzaw), 2005-present (as Vahrzaw)

So in addition, I'd need even more convoluted code to magically tell if I need to display (as ____).... and all that for a few minor insignificant cases?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:56 am 

Yeah, if it's not worth the effort, then don't bother. Otherwise, I think it's ready for publication.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:07 pm 

Noooooo, Morrigan!!!! WHY!!!!!????
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:33 pm 

Although minor, the autocomplete capitalizes "YouTube" as "Youtube," which is incorrect. Other than that, :thumbsup: .

EDIT: SoundCloud is listed as "Soundcloud" and Big Cartel is "BigCartel."

Last edited by Obscurum on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:37 pm 

Should we delete the "Now known as" or "Previously known as" in the additional notes, such as this band? It would seem to be a bit redundant to see the link twice.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:38 pm 

oogboog wrote:
Should we delete the "Now known as" or "Previously known as" in the additional notes, such as this band? It would seem to be a bit redundant to see the link twice.

If there is really no additional info that isn't covered by the year ranges in there, then yes.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:27 am 

So with this new 'Years active' section of the band pages, wouldn't that make the 'Formed in' area relatively useless for the bands that have been updated to now use the years active? On these bands updated thus far it generally seems to phase out the 'formed in' bit when the 'years active' serves the same purpose and exceeds it. Of course it's still vital to bands who haven't been updated or the info is too obscure, but for the ones that are updated, formed in seems removable. That's just my thoughts though. I do really like the years active addition, it's a nice touch.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:12 am 

TadakatsuH0nda wrote:
So with this new 'Years active' section of the band pages, wouldn't that make the 'Formed in' area relatively useless for the bands that have been updated to now use the years active? On these bands updated thus far it generally seems to phase out the 'formed in' bit when the 'years active' serves the same purpose and exceeds it. Of course it's still vital to bands who haven't been updated or the info is too obscure, but for the ones that are updated, formed in seems removable. That's just my thoughts though. I do really like the years active addition, it's a nice touch.

Read the full post on the main page, Morri explains it.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:46 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Read the full post on the main page, Morri explains it.

Oh pfft. It was right in front of my face and I missed the notice completely haha. And yeah that makes perfect sense. Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

BlackMetalGirl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:57 am 

Probably this is already suggested in the past, but after Labels by Country why not Artists by Country? It would be great!

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:39 am 

If we're having an artists by country feature, can we have an advanced search for artists too? :D That'd also be great.

Morrigan wrote:
Except I don't have a way to magically tell them apart. I can try to do some convoluted hack to check if the "next" band name is different and put a pipe instead of a comma, but then you'd still get something like this:

Quote:
1992-1994 (as Necromancy) | 1994 | 1994 (as Utgard-Loki) | 1994 (as Deathcult) | 1994-1998 (as Vahrzaw), 2005-present (as Vahrzaw)

So in addition, I'd need even more convoluted code to magically tell if I need to display (as ____).... and all that for a few minor insignificant cases?

... uhm. Is there any way I can see the code generating this? XD Because I'm having a hard time believing it'd be that complex... I don't care if I have to be the one who writes the convoluted code. :p

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:44 am 

An advanced search for artists would be grand. :nods:

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:59 am 

I agree. :thumbsup:

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:47 pm 

More of an aesthetic issue than anything, but I've noticed there's a rather quirky space before the comma in line-ups now... See Other Staff here.

Happens only when roles are placed on different lines...

Zorg85
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:13 am 

Many reports are sent asking for changes or completing missing info but most of them come from visitors who don't give much info about those changes

Would it be possible to change the message on the reports

"Tip: your report will be given greater attention if you can cite a source!"

Adding something like "Please also provide all the necessary information to help us" (or leave an email to contact you)

Something more efficient ...

Ex: Exekuter in the report queue

"one full length album is missing
the picture has also to change"

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:10 pm 

As Zorg said, I really think having a little more there for users unfamiliar with the site would be helpful. Something along the lines of "We need a way of verifying the information you provide or it can't be added - scans of booklets, news posts, or band contact info."

Maybe something like this up front to help keep reports more effective from the start (rather than simply saying a source is recommended).
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93021

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:18 pm 

When an unlisted band is added to a split, I can't edit that band's info - the edit icon simply isn't there. I could remove the artist and re-add, but it seems a bit odd that the icon isn't there.

Example: "Fang" on Jim Martin's entry:
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Jim_Martin/5855

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:06 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
When an unlisted band is added to a split, I can't edit that band's info - the edit icon simply isn't there. I could remove the artist and re-add, but it seems a bit odd that the icon isn't there.

Example: "Fang" on Jim Martin's entry:
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Jim_Martin/5855

I'm not sure if it was fixed, but I can see it just fine.

But aside from that, I have a question about the year range thing. In the case of Exhumator, they changed their name to Five Iron Frenzy and picked up a ska style. Obviously, FIF is not featured on the site. However, when I try to add FIF, i have issues reflecting that band's reunions. It either shows FIF as two entries, or shows the FIF for the first time frame, and shows the second time frame as applying to Exhumator.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:09 pm 

See, this is why we would need the pipes... :ugh: In the meantime I just added "as Five Iron Frenzy" to the third date range - yeah, it looks redundant and awkward, but I'll take that over ambiguous.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:21 pm 

I forget if I have mentioned this before: On band pages, the logo appears above the band picture, but on the editing page, the "band pic" field is above the "logo" field. It's a bit confusing that way, seems like it should be the other way around.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:22 pm 

Yep, I remember you bringing it up on #metal once. :P

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:59 pm 

I tried fixing some typos on Track 5 of this album page but I couldn't do it. Here's a screenshot of what happened when I tried editing it.
Spoiler: show
As you can see, the release type had already been chosen, a valid label had already been selected and the release date and tracks had already been entered.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:07 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
I tried fixing some typos on Track 5 of this album page but I couldn't do it. Here's a screenshot of what happened when I tried editing it.
Spoiler: show
As you can see, the release type had already been chosen, a valid label had already been selected and the release date and tracks had already been entered.

I'm not sure exactly what causes that but it's a pretty minor glitch. Just refresh the page and redo the edits you were intending to make.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:11 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Just refresh the page and redo the edits you were intending to make.
I've just tried that quite a few times and I'm still getting the same messages.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:12 pm 

Fixed.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:16 pm 

You were able to fix it? I thought only HellBlazer or Morrigan would be able to, but thanks anyway! I've managed to fix those typos now. :)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:26 pm 

I just let Morri know and she swiftly took care of it. ;)

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:00 pm 

Well I actually just found a whole load more typos to fix on that page and I tried doing it... but the problem's back! :annoyed:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:05 pm 

Works fine for me.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:03 pm 

Sorry if I'm being a nuisance here (which I know I most probably am). I was able to write "test" at the end of one of the song's lyrics just like you were and I was also able to remove it afterwards, but I'm still unable to fix those typos that are on almost every song. Could it be that only small modifications are possible on that page?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:14 pm 

What typos? Do you have an example?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

TvvrAskesis
Marathon Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:45 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

I only checked one song (track 14, The Sweet Tender Meat Vendor), found seven typos:

Sellin meat on the street to the people of Berlin

Gerog claimed the meat was beef or pork butchered just for them

So the landlord did comply wit his tenant's wishes

Arrested many times and on kid died from his attracts

With one legimate vocation, he learned to btucher meat

He'd take them to the kitchen with no suspicions fom tenants

Making cannibals out of Germans saying it was porko or beef

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:36 pm 

Okay, I corrected a few of those... no issues. :scratch:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:05 am 

Not sure if this is the proper place to report it (if not, I apologize), but when attempting to post my review for Children of Technology's latest EP, the data isn't going through and I'm getting the orange warning prompts to enter the title, score, and text. There was a report open which I resolved the other day, and all other reviews have been going through normally. Attempts to 'save draft' and 'preview' this one are also hanging up while loading. Anyway thanks for your time.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ch ... chy/358268

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:26 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Plenty! I also tried fixing them again today, and still didn't manage.

Track 2:
  • "A leaping fom a den" should be "A leaping from a den".
  • "Unable to defend thmeselves" should be "Unable to defend themselves".

Track 4:
  • "Frou long years" should be "Four long years".
  • "It's not clear fom history" should be "It's not clear from history".
  • "Wlad the Impaler" should be "Vlad the Impaler".
  • "Suited Vald III's tastes" should be "Suited Vlad III's tastes".
  • "for his defeat fow what Vlad..." should be "for his defeat for what Vlad...".
  • "between the Turks Vlad was dea" should be "between the Turks Vlad was dead".

Track 7:
  • "Snuffing ou the homeless" should be "Snuffing out the homeless".
  • "They hung Burke in the airr" should be "They hung Burke in the air".

Track 8:
  • "Mary Ann was looking for a mand" should be "Mary Ann was looking for a man".
  • "Mary Ann achived her family plan" should be "Mary Ann achieved her family plan".

Track 9:
  • "Labette County KAnsa" should be Labette County Kansas.
  • "The traverlers were ushered in" should be "The travelers were ushered in".
  • "Foun the victims buried" should be "Found the victims buried".
  • "for sure wat happened" should be "for sure what happened".

Track 10:
  • "As Lizzie yelled to the maide" should be "As Lizzie yelled to the maid".
  • "Gaver her stepmother twenty whacks" should be Gave her stepmother twenty whacks".
  • "Lizzie Borden was acquited" should be "Lizzie Borden was acquitted".

Track 11:
  • "Thre ripper tramp from France" should be "The ripper tramp from France".

Track 12:
  • "about three hundred punds" should be "about three hundred pounds".
  • "He didnät last as long" should be "He didn't last as long".

Track 13:
  • "the soldiers nex they found" should be "the soldiers next they found".
  • "Kisses bureau owerflowed" should be "Kisses bureau overflowed".
  • "Theu thought that he was dead" should be "They thought that he was dead".

Track 14:
  • "With one legimate vocation, he learned to btucher meat" should be "With one legitimate vocation, he learned to butcher meat".
  • "with no suspicions fom tenants" should be "with no suspicions from tenants".

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 65  Next