Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:29 am 

Did you guys increase the maximum file size for photos? When did this happen?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:17 am 

oogboog wrote:
Did you guys increase the maximum file size for photos? When did this happen?

Concurrently with the server upgrade accompanied by the maintenance downtime a month or two back.

DavidAraneda
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:39 am 

Hey guys, awesome website! Only one suggestion: is it possible to mention which are new releases and which are reissues in the upcoming releases section (for example adding an extra column to specify this)? Cheers, David.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:00 pm 

For about a month now I've found that the rapidly increasing size of my music collection has caused me to get a lot of songs stuck in my head where I know what the lyrics are but I can't figure out which band it is. I wish that the advanced search function was able to narrow a search down to releases in my collection.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:14 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
For about a month now I've found that the rapidly increasing size of my music collection has caused me to get a lot of songs stuck in my head where I know what the lyrics are but I can't figure out which band it is. I wish that the advanced search function was able to narrow a search down to releases in my collection.

The advanced search allows you to search for songs based on the lyrics and using filters as explained on the advanced search narrows your search down.
Example:
"I am the Wizard" gives you 268 matches while
"I+am+the+wizard" gives you 31.
The first one searches for all lyrics that include those 4 words in random places, while the latter searches for that exact phrase.
Hope that helps for now ;)

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:22 pm 

That certainly did help, thank you!

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:33 am 

Last vote is passed, rename FYROM to North Macedonia.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:58 am 

droneriot wrote:
Last vote is passed, rename FYROM to North Macedonia.

MA's standard for country names is the ISO, which still uses the old name for now. Once it's updated there, remind us again.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:47 am 

Not the first time, but sometimes the default setting in a report has the point-awarding box unchecked - 90 to 10 ratio, I dare say. I unintentionally end up closing the report without giving the user the point they've earned. Does anyone else have the same issue?
E.g. https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/665209

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:43 pm 

Maybe this has been asked before a few times, but is there any way we can have a checkbox we can tick if we don't want to see reissues in the "upcoming releases" section?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:39 am 

If one delete his/her account permanently, the username will become "~Guest #", but in reports with attention requested, the name is not "hidden". I just found this case here: https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/632456

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:41 am 

It's highly possible that not much can be done about that... but I don't know anything about how the attention request feature was programmed. I don't know what happens if you request attention from someone who later changes their name. The deleted username is also still visible on the forum until you open the thread... there's an example of this on the 3rd page of S&C. But I doubt a username alone is the biggest concern, especially a name like that which doesn't give away any personal info.

The FAQ regarding this matter should be revised, as pointed out a while ago by GuardAwakening. See the 4th question: https://www.metal-archives.com/content/faq

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:59 am 

The max sizes of band logo and photo are doubled (100k and 200k) now, but for label logo is still 40k, can't that extand a little more (50k)?

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:20 am 

I'm trying to setup a RSS feed for "Upcoming Releases" which I will create a new thread for a little later, but for now I just want to note that "https://www.metal-archives.com/release/ajax-upcoming/json/1" is giving an error as it is invalid JSON. The problem is on line 4:

"sEcho": ,

I take it that value should at least be an empty string or null or something.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am 

I wonder if it is possible to sort search results by band name.

That way when I search by genre "funeral", I get all bands with the "funeral" tag alphabetically.

The way it is now it sorts somewhat alphabetically, but it shows "Funeral Doom Metal" bands first, then going down the list to Funeral Doom / X genre and finally X genre (Old) / Funeral Doom (Now) type of bands.

If it isn't possible... well then, feature request! ^ do that plz.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Funereal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:33 pm 

Please, please fix the page.

csehszlovakze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:04 am 

Not sure if this should be a new thread, but I've seen development-related comments here, so I'll just comment here:

I've started writing a Java app to do basic fetching off the site, primarily for personal usage from the terminal. So far, I've managed to find some ajax calls, and I implemented basic search, including album title search and filtering the results by artist on client side (I haven't found any methods to have the server do both). By the way, thanks for doing the paging with DataTables on the client side so I don't have to "de-page" in my client.

My question: is there an API for artist data and album data? I've been looking at the source codes of artist and album pages, and to be honest, they'd be hard to parse/filter properly, especially with the "side X" rows and the invisible lyrics rows thrown in the mix. Right now I'm only using Jsoup and Gson apart from what's available in JavaSE 8.

The final use case for my app would be to do a periodical (e.g. biweekly or monthly) check on all bands I listen to in order to discover any new albums automatically. Also, if I finish it and am satisfied, I'm planning to put it on gitlab under some open source license. ;-)

Links to my online presence

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:27 pm 

I can't edit artist pages, specifically the "trivia" field. I get a blank screen with "Forbidden". I can add unlisted bands and links to the same artist's page, just not text... :/

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:57 pm 

Which artist, specifically? Sometimes there are things in the notes that break being able to edit it.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:17 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... ninen/1417

edit: it must be artist-specific. I just edited https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... rich/15155 with no problems.

:/

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:17 pm 

This was probably already referenced, but sometimes when I submit a review its status is shown to be "draft" and not "pending".

Also, what happens if I click "submit" twice? Will there be two same reviews when the mods check out pending reviews? If yes, then sorry for this, I saw my review in the "draft" category and submitted it again.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:41 pm 

I don't know if it has already been brought to your benevolent attention, but bookmarked Releases are not displayed if there's no bookmark for Band or Label.
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:01 pm 

false_icon wrote:
I don't know if it has already been brought to your benevolent attention, but bookmarked Releases are not displayed if there's no bookmark for Band or Label.

That should be fixed now.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:49 am 

Seems working. Thank you.

my trade list

odium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:12 pm 

Not sure if this is related with the recent crash/shut-down of the site, but I can't add any release to this band's discography:

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Mu ... 3540455059

I add the info, push Save, and it's loading, loading, loading... and never finishes.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:40 pm 

0th had the same problem when he tried to add the album.
Just tested it on my end and it seems to work, not sure what's the issue there.

Weirdly I can't edit the actual album. So same issue here.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:44 pm 

Should be fixed now. The server blocked a bit of "code" that was inside a song title.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:58 am 

A minor issue, but it may be worth a mention. Concerning previously unlisted bands on splits with child versions: by editing the split and adding the now listed band to the parent entry, the child versions aren't affected by the change, and each one of them has to be manually edited as well.

pentium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:12 pm 

There seems to be an issue with the "Side A" section under "Contribute/To Do"
When I click on it, it just stays at "Loading..." You can't click on any other MA links while it's attempting to load, it will act like your internet connection is broken. Eventually, you will get a an error that reads:
"The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or application.
Additionally, a 504 Gateway Timeout error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I thought it was just my computer or account, but I've tried it at 3 different IP addresses, logged in/not logged in, Chrome/Firefox/Edge and get the same results. Other Contribute/To Do pages seem to load fine. Can someone check if it works for them?

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:05 am 

Some user on Facebook asked about a feature that is similar to out bands by country and alphabetical listings and asked if it was possible to be able craft a similar thing for founding years. Told him that in theory that's possible with the advanced search, but I'll just leave it here for future reference or discussion or whatever.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:23 pm 

I found that Impending Doom reviews list have Napalm Death ones in it:

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Im ... 35#Reviews

What a weird bug...

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:19 pm 

I'm not sure it's a bug, just a weird... circumstance.

I'll have to confirm this, but looks like Napalm Death issued two variants of an album; one with a cover from Fatality and the other with a cover from Impending Doom. It got added to MA as a "split" which is accurate, since the album includes tracks from other bands. I'm going to talk to the rest of the staff to ask whether these variants should be separated, though. I'll get back to you on this.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:45 pm 

Yes, you're right: I never knew Impending Doom was on a ND release... Never saw that EP lsited on ID discography, either, even though I read it all. I blame my tiredness, sorry.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:53 pm 

No worries. We had a bit of a discussion last night about this. There's no current way to separate reviews for specific versions from the overall rating for the album, though there is an indication on at least some reviews what version they're for. Considering the fact that most of the split is essentially the same for both variants, we decided just to keep them together.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:29 am 

I'm having issues uploading images. Logos, album art, etc. The weird thing is that it's still possible on some pages. Server issues or is it just me?

Edit: Storm has responded via the site.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:52 am 

Hey, had two suggestions that we can maybe add to the Contribute/To Do section:

1. For the bands and albums with no lineups, specifically the Albums (legacy) tab, the list includes albums that have their lineups added. I guess the filter picks up any mention of "lineup" in the additional notes, which may just have some trivia regarding the lineup like this https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/B ... gel/542716. So maybe the filter should check if the lineup is actually empty and that "lineup" appears in the additional notes.

2. Maybe we can create a list of bands that haven't been modified after a certain number of years? I know I've come across stuff that hasn't been updated in several years, and while some may not get updated, like an obscure band that was only mentioned once in a review somewhere, it might be good to keep as much as we can up to date.

politis1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:30 pm 

What does the asterisk* symbol mean next to a track?

John Politis

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:39 am 

It's an indicator that the track is a bonus of that album. If you check a box "Bonus?" in editing page of album entry, * symbol will appears next to a track title as you can see.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:04 pm 

When clicking the link "Instrumental" for an instrumental track, then hiding the frame, the link changes to "Show lyrics", instead of "Instrumental".

https://imgur.com/1qusE80 -> https://imgur.com/iCSrXk2

my trade list

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:57 pm 

Some artists appear as being from the "Czech Republic" while others are from "Czechia". The official name of the country is Czechia. The ones with "Czech Republic" next to their names when searching for an artist to add have "Czechia" has their country of origin in their artist pages, so it's a bug only happening with the line-up artist search.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next