* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:36 pm 

darkest_depth wrote:
Something about adding Members:
When I add an artist with an artist name for example Fenriz, he is saved as Fenriz and his real name stands in the information. But if he had been added from the Storm site, his name would be Herr Nagell, and I don't think that everyone would be happy about.
So I think it's kind of a problem when artists use different artist names in every band they are, and there would be just one random name in his artist page as his "main" name even if that's just a very unimportant one.

My suggestion is, that every artist has his real name as "main" name, if it's available.

I partially agree. I think that every artist HAS to have his real name in brackets every time if he uses an alias in a lineup. It should be mandatory as long as the real name is present in his page. Artist that don't want their real name to be known would not have it in their page.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:37 pm 

Augie wrote:
every time I login on the forums, it almost always logs me out automatically when I go to a topic.

USE THE FORUM FEEDBACK THREAD. THIS IS FEEDBACK FOR THE SITE, NOT THE FORUM.

I swear, I'm really tired of merging posts in the right thread, the next one who says a peep about the forum in this thread is getting suspended.

darkest_depth wrote:
My suggestion is, that every artist has his real name as "main" name, if it's available.

I understand why you say this, but it's not really ideal. It's really better if the artist's most commonly-used name is used as his main name. Otherwise, for someone like King Diamond, you'd have "Kim Bendix Petersen" and you'd have to re-enter "as [King Diamond]" everywhere he appeared... not cool.

In cases like you describe, if someone had added Fenriz as Herr Nagell first but he'd need to be known as Fenriz everywhere else, then just report the "Herr Nagell" page so that we change the main artist name.

Quote:
Another thing:
When you add an artist and you type in from when to when he has been in the band, the "Still active in the band?" tick box should be ticked off automatically, or you should get asked or something, because it's kind of weird when you see an artist who shouldn't be in the band anymore but is in the band member section, just because someone has forgot to tick it off.

I don't know why so many people make this mistake, the checkbox isn't exactly that easy to miss... but I might add a script that automatically unchecks it if the "date to" field is entered, or something...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:46 pm 

That's why always having the real name between brackets would be ideal. Or maybe an option that says something like "show real name?" when one adds an artist to a lineup or as a band member.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:26 pm 

Quote:
- In the members list, the years an artist has been active should be in some darker color, so that it is easier so read when there is a lot of info (like artists that played several instruments or where in the band for some years, then left and then go in the band again)

I'll suggest that to Morri.

Quote:
Active years history. Other than year of creation, it would be cool if it evolved to something that includes hiatus and whatnot. E.g.: Septic Flesh should be 1990-2003 / 2003-

Planned for the future.

Quote:
Make it easier to edit members. If there is a typo in the name of an artist, one has to delete that artist from the member list and add him again (and select instrument, years active, etc). It is such a pain for only correcting one letter.

Uh? If there is a typo in the name of the artist all you have to do is to send a report for his name to be fixed.

Quote:
Add to the "other stuff to do" the following: add band members to bands whose members are listed only with the legacy lineup (this should be priority number 1)

Already planned, though right now anybody can easily find bands without members. Just go to the list of "Latest band updates" and select any month prior to April 2011. Those bands were not edited since v2 came out, hence they don't have have any members. Sure, many bands were edited but still don't have any members, but there are thousands of bands that can be found by this method.

Quote:
Also, I don't understand how artists are sorted in the member list. I think it seems to be done from the year they've been in the band. Shouldn't it be simpler if they are sorted by instrument alphabetically? (bass, drums, guitar, vocals)?

I don't think so. I prefer listing them by year - veteran members first.

Quote:
I think that every artist HAS to have his real name in brackets every time if he uses an alias in a lineup. It should be mandatory as long as the real name is present in his page. Artist that don't want their real name to be known would not have it in their page.

Yeah, that could work, but I'm undecided. I like the current system as well.

Quote:
I don't know why so many people make this mistake, the checkbox isn't exactly that easy to miss... but I might add a script that automatically unchecks it if the "date to" field is entered, or something...

Good idea! Please do so. :thumbsup:

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:26 pm 

What am I supposed to do if a band member has had 2 seperate spells with a band? How will I add the info?

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:32 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:
What am I supposed to do if a band member has had 2 seperate spells with a band? How will I add the info?

If you're a veteran, click on +, add the same instrument twice and specify the years.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:39 pm 

Hey, Metal Freaks / Demons: check out the latest news. I think you'll be pretty happy about it.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:43 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:

If you're a veteran, click on +, add the same instrument twice and specify the years.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:25 pm 

Wow... interesting news Morrigan, but I'm bewildered by the amount of points I got lately. Sure, I may have spent a bit too much time adding lineups and such for v2 (and that has slowed down to reasonable), but I'm still surprised. I guess little modifications in additional notes here and there helped. Anyway, I'll make sure to not do anything stupid.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:57 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
Quote:
I think that every artist HAS to have his real name in brackets every time if he uses an alias in a lineup. It should be mandatory as long as the real name is present in his page. Artist that don't want their real name to be known would not have it in their page.

Yeah, that could work, but I'm undecided. I like the current system as well.

Well, maybe there should be some sort of rule saying that aliases should only be set as "artist" names only when they are better known for their stage names than their real names. Anyway, for now I will be using real names and hand-setting aliases on the lineups for artist that have multiple aliases or a mixture of aliases and real name.

Another suggestion:
- Since anyone can see user profiles, could we have an option to only let members see our profile? For example, I want members to be able to see my email, but just not everyone that enters the site.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:17 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
Wow... interesting news Morrigan, but I'm bewildered by the amount of points I got lately. Sure, I may have spent a bit too much time adding lineups and such for v2 (and that has slowed down to reasonable), but I'm still surprised. I guess little modifications in additional notes here and there helped. Anyway, I'll make sure to not do anything stupid.

Yeah, same. I was just fixing up the line ups to the v2 version for Pakistani bands and then saw my points and they'd increased by 300 for like nothing o.O

As long as there's the awesome new modification history feature I guess.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:26 pm 

Quote:
Well, maybe there should be some sort of rule saying that aliases should only be set as "artist" names only when they are better known for their stage names than their real names.

That's common sense. It seems to me that most users are doing so.

Quote:
- Since anyone can see user profiles, could we have an option to only let members see our profile? For example, I want members to be able to see my email, but just not everyone that enters the site.

I'll request it.

joehuang
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:50 am 

A little complaint from Taiwan...

The word is too pale to see clearly

for example, in band page

Country of origin: xxx
...etc.

are too pale and the font size is too small

And the album list is too pale too

Sorry for my poor English :)

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:21 am 

Sure liking the extra privileges that the mods had for the main site. I won't waste the new abilities. Thanks Morri!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:21 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
Quote:
Also, I don't understand how artists are sorted in the member list. I think it seems to be done from the year they've been in the band. Shouldn't it be simpler if they are sorted by instrument alphabetically? (bass, drums, guitar, vocals)?

I don't think so. I prefer listing them by year - veteran members first.

This idea sure has its merits, but the results lack consistency and it's not very practical IMHO. For instance, in Helloween's case (yeah, I'm still in the process of editing them ahem), we get the veteran bassist (and very occasional songwriter) Grosskopf as the very first member listed on the main line-up, above veteran guitarist/composer Weikath and above longtime singer/current main songwriter Deris... It doesn't seem logical to me. Neither does the suggested alphabetical order, which would put vocalists and guitarists at the end of the list, and these are the main members in a vast majority of bands.

Suggestion: If it's possible to implement a script that orders the line-up automatically, I think the ideal criteria in most cases would be: Vocals>Guitars>Bass>Drums>any other instruments (members sorted by active years within each category). This way, we'd get consistently presented line-ups sorted in the most logical and widespread manner there is for our genre of music.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:12 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
Suggestion: If it's possible to implement a script that orders the line-up automatically, I think the ideal criteria in most cases would be: Vocals>Guitars>Bass>Drums>any other instruments (members sorted by active years within each category). This way, we'd get consistently presented line-ups sorted in the most logical and widespread manner there is for our genre of music.

That's a good idea, but I'm not sure if it's better than just sorting them by year. Let's use v2 a bit more before deciding on such matters.

ENHANCEMENTS
Today we only had minor bug fixes, which were not even reported here in the first place, so I'm not posting them. On the other hand, we had some major enhancements:

Quote:
Artist page: improve album listing

With famous artists that appeared on many releases, including singles, the list soon becomes quite long:

http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/artists ... mister/260

or

http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/artists/Hellhammer/44

It might be a good idea to, by default, only show full-lengths (and maybe EPs/splits) *IF* the artist has more than X album participation, and have a "show all" link that would expand and list everything, or something like that.

Otherwise, some artist pages will quickly become cluttered.

Also, the albums should probably be listed in chronological order.

I set the threshold at 10 albums. So if the artist appeared on more than 10 albums, I filter out the following: demos, singles, compilations and boxed sets, and the "show all" link appear for toggling them.

Quote:
Artist - Mixing Past bands and guest work

Go to this page http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/artists/Elizaveat/1608

That guy left Sabbat in 1991, but continued to appear as a guest member or cover artist, though all of his contributions as a Guest / Miscellaneous staff are appearing under the Past Member section.

Okay, changed things around so that you can add the same member to several lineup tabs at the same time. That way, the same member can appear in two tabs on the band/album page (see http://v2.metal-archives.com/albums/Del ... abs_lineup or Hellhammer here: http://v2.metal-archives.com/bands/The_ ... ab_members ), and on the artist page, such as Elizaveat's, the lineups aren't mixed up like they were.

Disclaimer: this change required massive code restructuring, so I hope I didn't break anything elsewhere. If I did, I apologize but just let me know ASAP. :P

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:22 am 

When adding a line-up to a release you have the chance to view the "legacy additional notes". This is a slight misinformation as it shows the current additional notes, regardless of what it was in V1. It just shows the additional notes, not the "legacy" additional notes.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:30 am 

Megadeth wrote:
When adding a line-up to a release you have the chance to view the "legacy additional notes". This is a slight misinformation as it shows the current additional notes, regardless of what it was in V1. It just shows the additional notes, not the "legacy" additional notes.

Just a cosmetic issue. I'll be fixed soon.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:29 am 

LegendMaker wrote:

I agree, it usually goes that way, so it might work. Drummers always go at the end, haha.

I have some more suggestions:
- Missing options from "role" dropdown menu: since we have so many options for vocals, could we also have "vocals (clean)" and "vocals (harsh)", which are used a lot too? Maybe also "vocals (growls)", if that is not redundant with "harsh".
- The artist and label search seem a little TOO specific. For example, if I search for "Spiros "Seth" Antoniou" I don't get any results, but I do if I go "Spiros Antoniou". Same with "Rob Milley" (no results), but we do get some with "Robin Milley", even though he uses Rob in his releases. Maybe the search could be a little less nazi :D. Using quotes when ones to search for the precise thing should work.

Dear Evenfiel, thanks for taking into account this things. I also noted some nice division bars on the members listing, that was really nice because it allows an easier reading

Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:30 am 

Megadeth wrote:

That's because some albums had the lineup in the additional notes and some didn't

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:42 am 

Quote:
- Missing options from "role" dropdown menu: since we have so many options for vocals, could we also have "vocals (clean)" and "vocals (harsh)", which are used a lot too? Maybe also "vocals (growls)", if that is not redundant with "harsh".

I sincerely don't see any need in this.

Quote:
- The artist and label search seem a little TOO specific. For example, if I search for "Spiros "Seth" Antoniou" I don't get any results, but I do if I go "Spiros Antoniou". Same with "Rob Milley" (no results), but we do get some with "Robin Milley", even though he uses Rob in his releases. Maybe the search could be a little less nazi :D. Using quotes when ones to search for the precise thing should work.

The search work just fine. You didn't get any results for "Spiros "Seth" Antoniou" because that name was not added to any albums. As for Rob Milley, it works just fine. You probably misspelled it.

Quote:
That's because some albums had the lineup in the additional notes and some didn't

He's just saying that it's not the legacy additional notes that are appearing, but the current notes. If you change the current notes, the "Legacy" will also change.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:15 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
Quote:

I sincerely don't see any need in this.

Well, since we have all the others, why not those 2? It's easier to type "v" and then click from the dropdown list than having to type "(clean)", plus it is more organized as some people are listing roles as "growls", "harsh vocals", "vocals (harsh)", etc.

Another thing
- Concerning the years a band member has been playing instruments, if a member plays guitars, sings and plays keyboards from 1990, could it be somehow merged and set at the end? For example, the guys from Septic Flesh play 3 instruments and it guess kinda messy to read:

Sotiris Vayenas Guitars (1990-present) / Keyboards (1990-present) / Vocals (clean) (1990-present)
http://v2.metal-archives.com/bands/Sept ... ab_members

I'm not sure if I should just set the year in the last field and leave the rest empty.

- It would also be nice to have a separate way to add bonus tracks, like having them slightly separated from the main tracklist.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:04 am 

Quote:
Well, since we have all the others, why not those 2? It's easier to type "v" and then click from the dropdown list than having to type "(clean)", plus it is more organized as some people are listing roles as "growls", "harsh vocals", "vocals (harsh)", etc.

Then we'll have all power metal and heavy metal bands with "Vocals (clean)", all death metal with "Vocals (harsh)" or "Vocals (growls)". There is no need for that.

Quote:
- Concerning the years a band member has been playing instruments, if a member plays guitars, sings and plays keyboards from 1990, could it be somehow merged and set at the end? For example, the guys from Septic Flesh play 3 instruments and it guess kinda messy to read:

That's because the instruments should have been entered in just one line, but since there are so many people doing that, it makes sense to automatically change it. I'll file an issue.

Quote:
It would also be nice to have a separate way to add bonus tracks, like having them slightly separated from the main tracklist.

In the future.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:12 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
Quote:

Then we'll have all power metal and heavy metal bands with "Vocals (clean)", all death metal with "Vocals (harsh)" or "Vocals (growls)". There is no need for that.

Not necessarily, if the band has only clean vocals or only growl/harsh vocals people can use "vocals". At least, that's what I was doing

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:18 am 

Dexter_prog wrote:
Not necessarily, if the band has only clean vocals or only growl/harsh vocals people can use "vocals". At least, that's what I was doing

That's probably not what others will do.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:28 am 

Looks way better now. It is clear enough IMO. All the icons and links are easy to locate.

Zooming a logo and a band pic is a nice idea. Doesn't take half of the screen...

Member info is now very detailed. I wonder, if some ideas came from Archaic Metallurgy?! ;)

It MIGHT be slower, hard to say after an hour's use. But feels so now. Understandable, though. Maybe there are just more people logged in to fix band pages...

Likanars
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:32 am 

What's with all the -ex tags? Already said long time ago that they are useless.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:50 am 

Splits require only one review submission ... now that is an improvement.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

steelwizard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:53 am 

I don't like the new design at all. The old bandpages were perfect, please leave it the way it is.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:56 am 

Quote:
Member info is now very detailed. I wonder, if some ideas came from Archaic Metallurgy?! ;)

Uh? The original idea came from, as far as I know, imdb.com. It was something planned for v2 since 2003/2004.

Quote:
It MIGHT be slower, hard to say after an hour's use. But feels so now. Understandable, though. Maybe there are just more people logged in to fix band pages...

Slower? It's way faster, though in the last two hours or so it was a bit laggy.

Quote:

They are now automatically updated, so we don't need to keep on hunting down bands in order to update them.

Likanars
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:13 am 

Oh and what about updating multiple pictures on artist pages? Is that available or will be at a later date?

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:18 am 

Just a clarification if a bonus track is included in all versions of a CD, and not special versions for Japan or Europe... It should be added to the tracklist or not?

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:30 am 

GraveWish wrote:
Just a clarification if a bonus track is included in all versions of a CD, and not special versions for Japan or Europe... It should be added to the tracklist or not?

It depends. If the cd release is a re-release of a vinyl version that originally did not include it, then no, it should be in the additional notes.

Quote:
Oh and what about updating multiple pictures on artist pages? Is that available or will be at a later date?

That's planned already.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:36 am 

Likanars wrote:

I actually love the fact that they put them back on, it is indeed a pain in the ass having go to to the band profile, clicking on members and clicking on "past-memberS" just find out if the artist was a former member. It makes everything smoother plus more correct. Please DON'T remove the "ex" tags.

GraveWish wrote:

If "bonus tracks" are on all pressings of the cd then they are not actually bonus, it's marketing bullshit. Scar Symmetry did it on one of their records, which is totally retarded in my opinion. I would add them as regular tracks.

Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
darkest_depth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:39 am 

Why is the country, if you add an artist now autosetted? How the fuck shall I know that the guy is from the country his band is from?

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:42 am 

darkest_depth wrote:
Why is the country, if you add an artist now autosetted? How the fuck shall I know that the guy is from the country his band is from?

Well, 90% of the times they come from the same country, it is pretty logical. If he doesn't come from that country you can change it. They should do the same with gender, but they would call the archives sexists :p

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:49 am 

Dexter_prog wrote:
If "bonus tracks" are on all pressings of the cd then they are not actually bonus, it's marketing bullshit. Scar Symmetry did it on one of their records, which is totally retarded in my opinion. I would add them as regular tracks.

Yeah, if it comes in all pressings then it's not a bonus track.

Quote:

As Dexter_prog mentioned, in the vast majority of the cases, certainly more than 90%, the artist comes from the same country as the band. In any case, you can always change it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:09 pm 

steelwizard wrote:
I don't like the new design at all. The old bandpages were perfect, please leave it the way it is.

Seriously people... enough with this. It's not going to happen, ever. V2 is here to stay, period. If you don't like it... well, you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm sorry you don't like it (though I'd bet my savings that 99% of those complainers will get used to it and even love it eventually) but this thread isn't for generic "I don't like it" complaints. This thread is for constructive feedback, such as bug reports, suggestions of improvements, enhancements and so on, it is not a platform to voice generic complaints.

Thankfully most of you have been very helpful, and v2 is already better because of it, so this doesn't apply to most of you, but I really don't want to see any more garbage like this polluting the thread. Thanks.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkest_depth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:18 pm 

What about if a band has changed their name and (mostly all) members are in the band with the new name?
On v1 some bandmembers had their links to former band-names and some of them just a link to the old bandname in the additional notes section.
Is there a general rule or something?

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:41 pm 

darkest_depth wrote:
What about if a band has changed their name and (mostly all) members are in the band with the new name?
On v1 some bandmembers had their links to former band-names and some of them just a link to the old bandname in the additional notes section.
Is there a general rule or something?

I guess the same rule applies. If Band A is now called Band B, then Band A has "changed name" and Band B is a new band. Members will have the links to the old band name, but they are listed as "ex-"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 65  Next