Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:01 pm 

I wrote a review, it was accepted, then I saw I omitted something and edited it in. I hit 'save draft' to have it go in for submission again, and it went a little crazy and did this:

http://img31.imageshack.us/i/bugmy.jpg/

Using the latest version of Firefox. Any idea what might be causing this?

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:20 pm 

What if someone is dead and we don't know the date of his death?

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:22 pm 

This is probably a stupid question, but, for bands like Septic Flesh, where the Philarmonic Orchestra Of Prague has been playing with since the last record, should we add them in the additional notes or as "other staff"? I did the former, but I'm still unsure.

I think I've spotted a bug:
- When one adds a band member to a lineup for a release and this band member already exists, it allows one to select the role and if this member used an alias. Setting something as an alias does not actually complete the field. So one has to edit the band member and add it again.

Also, what do we do with the lineup of split albums?

Maybe the "guest" section for lineups could have some sort of field to tick in which tracks they are guests?

And finally, there seems to be no way of telling if a live musician is active or not unless the years are filled.

Shouldn't artist pages have a filed to include their website?

About reports: there should be an option that says and does the following: "assigned to me and resolved"

Last edited by Dexter on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:51 pm 

Warning: is_readable() [function.is-readable]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/lib/php/../webapp/controllers/NoticeUndefinedVariableOriginInHomemetalarclibsmartysyspluginssmarty/Internal/DataController.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/metalarc:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/metalarc/lib/Zend/Loader.php on line 198

Warning: is_readable() [function.is-readable]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/local/lib/php/../webapp/controllers/NoticeUndefinedVariableOriginInHomemetalarclibsmartysyspluginssmarty/Internal/DataController.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/metalarc:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/metalarc/lib/Zend/Loader.php on line 198

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:04 pm 

SharpAndSlender wrote:
I wrote a review, it was accepted, then I saw I omitted something and edited it in. I hit 'save draft' to have it go in for submission again, and it went a little crazy and did this:
Using the latest version of Firefox. Any idea what might be causing this?

Ehh... no, unless something crashed server-side. Are you able to reproduce it?

I've been doing a few modifications that could have caused a few temporary errors to show up in the past hours. Things should go back to normal now though.

GraveWish wrote:
What if someone is dead and we don't know the date of his death?

Write that he's dead in the additional notes, for now. Death flags without dates might come later.

Dexter_prog wrote:
This is probably a stupid question, but, for bands like Septic Flesh, where the Philarmonic Orchestra Of Prague has been playing with since the last record, should we add them in the additional notes or as "other staff"? I did the former, but I'm still unsure.

That seems OK to me.

Quote:
- When one adds a band member to a lineup for a release and this band member already exists, it allows one to select the role and if this member used an alias. Setting something as an alias does not actually complete the field. So one has to edit the band member and add it again.

Do you have an example? I couldn't reproduce this issue.

Quote:
Also, what do we do with the lineup of split albums?

What do you mean, "what do we do"? You add them as normal, but you choose the band the member belongs to. A dropdown of band appears if it's a split.

Quote:
Maybe the "guest" section for lineups could have some sort of field to tick in which tracks they are guests?

Nah, overkill. Plus guests often participate on many, if not all, the tracks.

Quote:
And finally, there seems to be no way of telling if a live musician is active or not unless the years are filled.

Shouldn't artist pages have a filed to include their website?

These enhancements have already been filed.

Quote:
About reports: there should be an option that says and does the following: "assigned to me and resolved"

Actually if you mark it as resolved it automatically assigns it to you now.

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Warning: is_readable() [function.is-readable]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/lib/php/../webapp/controllers/NoticeUndefinedVariableOriginInHomemetalarclibsmartysyspluginssmarty/Internal/DataController.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/metalarc:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/metalarc/lib/Zend/Loader.php on line 198

Warning: is_readable() [function.is-readable]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/local/lib/php/../webapp/controllers/NoticeUndefinedVariableOriginInHomemetalarclibsmartysyspluginssmarty/Internal/DataController.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/metalarc:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/metalarc/lib/Zend/Loader.php on line 198

We've seen this in the logs many times but I'm at a loss as to what causes it... do you remember what you did to see this error appear?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:13 pm 

I'd like to get more information about the correct way to add a line-up to a release.

When I went to some Sabat releases pages, here was the way the line-up had been added :

As we can have multiple roles for band members, I assume that the correct way to add them is this one :

Did I understand everything ? Is it right to correct it the 2nd way (or is it point-whoring) ?

Also, on a side note :
After validating a line-up for an album, I get the green panel "You have successfully uploaded this lineup. Reloading this tab", and then the "Edit tab" shows up again.
This is quite confusing, as if I miss the temporary green panel, I don't know if my submission went through.
Shouldn't it be the "Display tab" instead (as seen when browsing and not editing) ?
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:23 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
oneyoudontknow wrote:

We've seen this in the logs many times but I'm at a loss as to what causes it... do you remember what you did to see this error appear?

I logged in on the main site, when I remember it correctly ... I refreshed the site and then it went away.

I also got a 30s loading error on a band page today.

My podcast:

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:28 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Dexter_prog wrote:

That seems OK to me.

What? Adding them to other staff or adding them in the notes?

Quote:

Do you have an example? I couldn't reproduce this issue.
[/quote]
I just did it on Infernal Winter. The singer goes by the name "Mysanthrope". When I added him, I chose that as his alias but he was still listed as "Guillermo C.". I had to add it by again.

Quote:

Nah, overkill. Plus guests often participate on many, if not all, the tracks.[/quote]
It's just I've been editing a lot of albums where the guests just did a solo or vocals on one track. I guess I can add that in his role.

Quote:

Actually if you mark it as resolved it automatically assigns it to you now.[/quote]
Oh, I didn't know that. Cool.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:59 pm 

Quote:
I'd like to get more information about the correct way to add a line-up to a release.

It's better to use the first way. All instruments in the same field.

Quote:
This is quite confusing, as if I miss the temporary green panel, I don't know if my submission went through.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'll request the green panel to be shown on the bottom of the page instead of the top.

Quote:
What? Adding them to other staff or adding them in the notes?

You can add them as an artist.

Quote:
It's just I've been editing a lot of albums where the guests just did a solo or vocals on one track. I guess I can add that in his role.

Please do.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:51 pm 

How to add studio session musicians?

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:52 pm 

GraveWish wrote:

in each album

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:06 pm 

Dexter_prog wrote:
GraveWish wrote:

in each album

They are not added to the line-up? I their role is more important then live musicians.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:35 pm 

This has probably been brought up before, but I have not read all 7 pages of this thread so forgive me if it has...

When I make the internet window displaying MA smaller, I can only scroll up and down for the main information section of the page but I can't scroll down to see the rest of the left sidebar which has all of the essential links.

http://i52.tinypic.com/fk5d83.jpg

I don't know if that's something you can control or if it's just my browser.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:38 pm 

Are the left side and top frames supposed to be frozen in place with only the central/bottom/right parts of the screen scrolling up and down?

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:43 pm 

^That's basically what I'm asking.

On V1 there was a scroll feature for the sidebar, but I'm not sure if it was intentionally excluded for V2.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:59 pm 

sometimes the scrolling gets buggy for me on fullscreen also, can't seem to reproduce it though.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:05 pm 

GraveWish wrote:
They are not added to the line-up?

No, only to the album.

Quote:
On V1 there was a scroll feature for the sidebar, but I'm not sure if it was intentionally excluded for V2.

I've tested with Chrome, Firefox 4 and IE8 and I can use the scroll in all of them when not in full-screen mode.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:21 pm 

A user reported this, but maybe it should be here also, it seems that some bands are not displaying the images properly. For example: http://v2.metal-archives.com/bands/Vae_ ... 3540324892

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:32 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
Quote:

I've tested with Chrome, Firefox 4 and IE8 and I can use the scroll in all of them when not in full-screen mode.

Damn. Must be my browser then. Do you mind posting a picture so I can see what it should look like?

(@ everyone else) Or better yet, does everyone else get a scroll bar for it?

Last edited by Snowgrave on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Total_Fucking_Necro
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:34 pm 

Oh good God, kill it. Please, please let there be a version one link with writable privileges. This is as unusable as a chocolate kettle.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:17 pm 

Total_Fucking_Necro wrote:
Oh good God, kill it. Please, please let there be a version one link with writable privileges. This is as unusable as a chocolate kettle.

This user received a 7-day suspension for this. Just for everyone's info.

Carry on.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:18 pm 

Dexter_prog wrote:
A user reported this, but maybe it should be here also, it seems that some bands are not displaying the images properly. For example: http://v2.metal-archives.com/bands/Vae_ ... 3540324892

It happens. They probably went missing during the server failure the other day. Just replace them if you can.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:25 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Dexter_prog wrote:

It happens. They probably went missing during the server failure the other day. Just replace them if you can.

Actually, those pictures were already broken in v1.

Quote:
Damn. Must be my browser then. Do you mind posting a picture so I can see what it should look like?

Spoiler: show

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:05 pm 

false_icon wrote:

No offence, but could you have asked before modifying several releases? (sorry if it's not you) Particularly since they had nothing wrong in the first place. I mean, I can understand if no lineup was entered in the first place...

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:15 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
false_icon wrote:

No offence, but could you have asked before modifying several releases? (sorry if it's not you) Particularly since they had nothing wrong in the first place. I mean, I can understand if no lineup was entered in the first place...

You can check the history to see who made the last changes. I;m just saying because of the "sorry if it's not you"

Likanars
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:48 pm 

When a line up for an album is added in the new line-up field can it be removed from additional notes?

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:07 pm 

Likanars wrote:
When a line up for an album is added in the new line-up field can it be removed from additional notes?

Yes.

Likanars
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:38 pm 

When searching for an artist to add to the line-up, the previous search item remains in the window and search box.

You click on the text box to enter a new name and then you have to click search (pressing enter won't do it). Can it be modified to speeden up the work for anti-mouse clicking people?

Plus: I saw on a few places that guest/session members are added as band members. And it is a bit inconvenient that you have to open a tab to see guests/additional performers on a particular album.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:36 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
This has probably been brought up before, but I have not read all 7 pages of this thread so forgive me if it has...

When I make the internet window displaying MA smaller, I can only scroll up and down for the main information section of the page but I can't scroll down to see the rest of the left sidebar which has all of the essential links.

http://i52.tinypic.com/fk5d83.jpg

I don't know if that's something you can control or if it's just my browser.

John_Sunlight wrote:
Are the left side and top frames supposed to be frozen in place with only the central/bottom/right parts of the screen scrolling up and down?

When you use a big enough resolution, the left menu and header bar are fixed, while on smaller resolution they will scroll. If you resize your browser window, you need to refresh the page to update the layout in that regard.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:42 pm 

Thank you for clearing that up, I was refreshing it before resizing it. :durr:

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:35 am 

Do the new bandpages still show tour dates? I couldn't find them.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

fast
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:33 am 

Is there any chance of keeping v1 alive and synced? I know it's a real stretch...

I love this site and have been using daily it since 2003. It's a tremendous resource to the metal community. But as someone who makes a living building sites for Fortune 500 companies- v2's usability is severely lacking. I'm sorry, but having to click 5 additional times to see what appeared on the v1 band pages is not good a good user experience. This is exactly what Myspace did with their re-design. (Need I say more?) Users by and large would rather scroll two screen-lengths (v1) than click 5 times and not be able to see all of that information at once. V1 was not pretty, but was easy to access and digest. A lineup for each album is a great idea, but why can't it appear on the same screen as the rest of the album info? More clicking. Bottom line- users would rather scroll than click. And please don't underestimate the importance of this...

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:38 am 

Yes, I must echo again at the very least do something about the Member/Lineup tabs.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:05 am 

Upcoming albums
Quote:
Oleg Mishin Бе... April 17th

Error in the encoding

My podcast:

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:38 am 

fast wrote:
Is there any chance of keeping v1 alive and synced? I know it's a real stretch...

I love this site and have been using daily it since 2003. It's a tremendous resource to the metal community. But as someone who makes a living building sites for Fortune 500 companies- v2's usability is severely lacking. I'm sorry, but having to click 5 additional times to see what appeared on the v1 band pages is not good a good user experience. This is exactly what Myspace did with their re-design. (Need I say more?) Users by and large would rather scroll two screen-lengths (v1) than click 5 times and not be able to see all of that information at once. V1 was not pretty, but was easy to access and digest. A lineup for each album is a great idea, but why can't it appear on the same screen as the rest of the album info? More clicking. Bottom line- users would rather scroll than click. And please don't underestimate the importance of this...

As someone who suspects that websites are more than just the front-end, I'm personally tired of people asking for a return to the old site with its crappy and (more) limited database construction. The important part of the upgrade is the backend. The little problems with too many tabs, too many clicks, dim colours, etc. can be sorted out once v2 is running along.

Not that I don't agree with the specific complaints. But give it time... v2 has only just arrived.

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Upcoming albums
Quote:
Oleg Mishin Бе... April 17th

Error in the encoding

That would be because of those stupid HTML entities.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:13 am 

Likanars wrote:
When searching for an artist to add to the line-up, the previous search item remains in the window and search box.

You click on the text box to enter a new name and then you have to click search (pressing enter won't do it). Can it be modified to speeden up the work for anti-mouse clicking people?

Plus: I saw on a few places that guest/session members are added as band members. And it is a bit inconvenient that you have to open a tab to see guests/additional performers on a particular album.

I've filed an issue.

Quote:
Plus: I saw on a few places that guest/session members are added as band members.

They shouldn't be added as band members.

Quote:
Do the new bandpages still show tour dates? I couldn't find them.

On the right, below the band picture.

Quote:

Of course not.

The site is evolving on a daily basis. Who you can do is to provide ideas regarding v2. To ask for a way to sync v1 is downright counterproductive.

Enhancement and bug fixes
We've had a few minor enhancements and bug fixes yesterday. Perhaps the main one is that now current and past live members are clearly separated.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:24 am 

What is happening here... oh, oh... uh! I tried to find one band and what I saw! What a horrible change. I think that previous bandpage system was great, you had everything on 1 page and now I have to click when I want to see members, links etc. I think that now it is quite less-transparent and that huge column on the left and logo on the top are disturbing me and it looks like the band itself is only pressed in between. Lots of clicking. And the colours...!!! I have to veil the windows or turn of the lights to be able to read something.
I know I'll get used to it but... :(

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:47 am 

fast wrote:

I disagree about having v1 up and sync'ed (it's a waste of money for them), but I agree that some parts could be together, for example:
- Members / past members / live members: all could be in one page separated with a big bar or something. Maybe in the future?

Members (all) and discography should NOT be put together again. Think of a band with 20+ releases and 20+ members, it's a pain in the ass to scroll that much.

I think that changes were for the best, the only thing I kind of dislike is how the origin, status and genre are kinda of hard to read clearly. The genre seems to always be breaking down for bands that have more than 1 genre. It gets kinda messy to read. Also the status is somewhat hard to spot, maybe it could have colors like on the labels.

-----

Last edited by Dexter on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Likanars
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:54 am 

As you can see in some places text can be typed. It doesn't remain there and it's not a major issue but still here it is.

Likanars
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:01 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
false_icon wrote:
Also, on a side note :
After validating a line-up for an album, I get the green panel "You have successfully uploaded this lineup. Reloading this tab", and then the "Edit tab" shows up again.
Shouldn't it be the "Display tab" instead (as seen when browsing and not editing) ?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'll request the green panel to be shown on the bottom of the page instead of the top.

Still confusing. Display tab would be a logical choice and if you need to edit it a little more press edit.
This way you have to go back to the Artist->Member page to check formatting

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 65  Next