Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:22 pm 

Just to make it clear: there is no problem in auto-reporting. You just don't need to stalk down orphan artists.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:12 am 

Actually, now I'm wondering what the purpose of auto-reported orphan artists is even for, since they're mass-purged automatically anyway...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:02 am 

^ Good question, I could probably remove the auto-report, I don't know how often we run the purges though...

HouseSpiders wrote:
I usually take a quick look at people's profiles, collections, modifications etc. When I looked at their modification history, if I ever found artists added one after the other without being saved to any lineups, I knew they'd be orphans.

Yeah, okay, that's a bad idea. Thanks for stopping it.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:38 pm 

Could we soon add a separate tab for contacting, such as an address or e-mail? I have e-mailed bands before, and I think that It might be helpful for later use if someone wants to contact a band, but cannot do it through social networking, like me.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:48 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
^ Good question, I could probably remove the auto-report

I don't see any problem in keeping them. It's not like it takes a lot of time for a moderator to go through such reports.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:56 am 

Okay, look at this:

Joey Jordison has an alias listed on the site for his work in the (obviously) unlisted band Slipknot, as #1. Searching artist profiles for "#1" returns him as a result: http://www.metal-archives.com/search?se ... tist_alias

Corey Taylor is also marked with an alias for his role in Slipknot (#8), but searching the artist profiles for "#8" doesn't return him as a result: http://www.metal-archives.com/search?se ... tist_alias

Any idea why this might be the case?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:08 am 

Quote:
Any idea why this might be the case?

It isn't. Corey Taylor's showing up just fine.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:35 am 

What the...? :scratch: I looked at it earlier and it wasn't working, so I cleared the alias field, re-entered it and then waited five minutes or so and it still wasn't working. No idea why it's showing up properly in the artist search now...

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:25 pm 

After sending a report, a dialogue box pops up that says something along the lines of "thanks for reporting" and also includes "cancel" and "send" buttons. I believe those buttons are recursive and unnecessary. I thought of this when I saw some duplicate reports.

edit: here's a screenshot of it!

I don't think "Send" even does anything.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:17 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
I don't think "Send" even does anything.

It sends the report... again.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:19 pm 

About the addition of non-metal bands, can they be changed so they are automatically removed when a band gets approved? I think Azmodes had to manually delete some on one of the bands he recently added.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:43 pm 

Don't really see how it's necessary to automate that process. It's not like removing the unlisted bands from an artist's page is time consuming.

(Plus there's a slight chance the submitter might've missed some info on the artist's involvement (such as year ranges and extra instruments) that were included in the unlisted band's line-up data. Removing it automatically could overwrite info that should be migrated into the newly accepted page).

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:52 am 

Congratulations to everyone at the site for their work on keeping both queues on such a low number!!!!
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:24 pm 

Seconded, let's keep that report queue levelled, people! :D

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:25 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
Don't really see how it's necessary to automate that process. It's not like removing the unlisted bands from an artist's page is time consuming.

Well, I'm kinda lazy. :-D But, yeah, I don't think it should be automated. It's not like everyone has the same information everywhere, so data might go missing with overrides.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:33 am 

Why is the EP "A" listed after the demo "B Rehearsal" here: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Wol ... 3540263319

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... 6/show/all

Their release date is the same. Is the release type a factor here?

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:06 am 

Suggestion about bands without albums entered in the discography section. What about cleaning the additional notes that says "Release one demo in year X" and add it as a release, for example, as "Demo 1986" but without tracklist? It will looks better and it's a lot easier to see all releases even without tracklist in the discography section. And make that entry not as a hyperlink to detailed info, I mean this kind of discography will be seen as a list only. For bands that have detailed discography but with one release that have only a title info available that release will be in the discography but without details. How about it? Not a super-needed suggestion but I guess it would make info easier to see and understand.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:18 am 

Question about tracklists of albums. If an album has bonus/hidden tracks when it should be added: to the main tracklist or in additional notes? I'm talking about this: http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... nre=#songs

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:07 pm 

aeternus1990 wrote:
Question about tracklists of albums. If an album has bonus/hidden tracks when it should be added: to the main tracklist or in additional notes? I'm talking about this: http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... nre=#songs

If the bonus track does not appear in the original release, you should always add them to the additional notes.

Quote:
Why is the EP "A" listed after the demo "B Rehearsal" here: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Wol ... 3540263319

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... 6/show/all

Their release date is the same. Is the release type a factor here?

Yes. I've changed all formats to "demo".

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:46 pm 

Could you guys consider integrating the ability to search for and link to albums in additional notes sections, like it already is for bands, labels and artists? I'm a bit tired of having to use the <a> tag to link all the albums together on releases.

EDIT:
I wrote:
like it already is for bands, labels and albums?

durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp

Last edited by MalignantThrone on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:33 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Could you guys consider integrating the ability to search for and link to albums in additional notes sections, like it already is for bands, labels and albums? I'm a bit tired of having to use the <a> tag to link all the albums together on releases.

Seconded, but I believe I've already requested this several times... ._.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:59 pm 

Is it on the to-do list?

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:23 am 

Searched this thread for this but keywords for this bring back a ton of stuff (and a glance didn't find the answer)...

If I do a search for say, a genre like Thrash and I go to any page other than the first one and click on a band, I get taken to that page. If I then click the back arrow (or back page) to go back to the search it puts you back at page one every time. Would it be possible to put you either right where you were at the time you clicked on a band or at least on that same page? And I'm pretty sure this is the way with any search that yields multiple pages.

Thanks

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:57 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
Is it on the to-do list?

Certainly is. :)

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:55 am 

What on earth could that site possibly be? Didn't see the to do list on there, is it mods only?

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:41 pm 

So, when looking at the page for Beherit's "Drawing Down the Moon" the "Show Lyrics" links all say "Instrumental." I'm on my office computer, an iMac running Google Chrome, and it hasn't happened for any other albums that I've seen. The text will change upon being clicked, but refreshing the page turns them all back to "Instrumental."

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:43 pm 

That's because someone marked all the songs on the album as instrumental, for some reason. In the event that a song is instrumental but still has accompanying text in the booklet, it will do what you see right there: be a clickable link that says "Instrumental", but once the lyrics tab is closed, it will say "Show lyrics" again (and to be honest, I always thought that was odd myself; probably a glitch).

Actually, MA credits a vocalist to the album's lineup, so I assume it's not just an all-instrumental album. In that case, just edit the album and un-check all the "instrumental" boxes for the songs that aren't instrumental.

HouseSpiders wrote:
What on earth could that site possibly be? Didn't see the to do list on there, is it mods only?

It's a mods-only site, yes, hence the reason you can't see anything.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:16 pm 

We could probably do something about songs that are instrumental, but have text accompanying it. If its not the official lyrics, it should probably be put in the additional notes. We could probably leave narration in songs that have them, also.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:31 pm 

Put in the additional notes? Nah, that would just clog everything up, total eyesore. I think the current way of doing it (lyrics field) works just fine, apart from the minor glitch (?) I mentioned above.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:42 pm 

We have some sort of bug in the forum... I can't use [url] tag if there are some non-latin symbols like cyrillic and the link will not see as the link. Just look:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Круиз/1188

And then:

[url=http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Круиз/1188]Круиз[/url]

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:49 pm 

aeternus1990 wrote:
We have some sort of bug in the forum... I can't use [url] tag if there are some non-latin symbols like cyrillic and the link will not see as the link. Just look:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Круиз/1188

And then:

[url=http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Круиз/1188]Круиз[/url]

Try copying the URL from the address bar using Firefox. The characters will be copied using their URL-encoded forms:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%D0 ... D0%B7/1188

Otherwise, there's always TinyURL. :)

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:47 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%D0 ... D0%B7/1188
Круиз

It works with Firefox! But in Opera it's not.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:31 pm 

Opera is for communists. ;)

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:45 pm 

But on my old computer Opera works faster especially on MA. Firefox is slower... I almost feel heaviness of Firefox on my head :D

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:43 am 

Is it OK to insert not well-known/obscure band biography in the additional notes if it's not self-promotional, written in English and contains only useful information without duplicating MA's information?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:53 am 

Of course! :) Just as long as you're not copying text from a page with a copyright notice... which would obviously be plagiarism.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:24 am 

What's the verdict on adding guest/session artists to album lineups, based on bonus tracks that came with a later reissue of the album?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:17 am 

I'd say it's fine as long as the role is marked as such. I have done so in the past.

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:31 pm 

What is the condition for adding guest live musicians that have appeared on stage with a certain band multiple times?

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:33 am 

Mmm... sorry for this but: how about delete all locked topics from the forum -> Suggestions and complaints that named "Why band [X] accepted/non-accepted" and usually contain only two posts: 1st "Why band was rejected", 2nd "Use the right thread"; and another topics about changing genre/rejected bands? I think that browsing through 123 pages / 3000+ topics to find anything good is hard and boring to some people who want to find something useful. Or deleting such information is against speech-freedom and historical importance?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 65  Next