Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:05 am 

Think the artist index has karked it again. :(

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:29 pm 

I have a test page to check out the status of the index and it responds correctly...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:30 pm 

Nah, it's working now... was dying earlier. :oh shit: Not sure whether I should report it here or not every time it kicks the bucket.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:44 pm 

Anyone else seeing blue double underlined links in random places? Thumbnails show ads provided by "easyinline". At the time of this writing, a blue changeling link has taken the form of Alhadis's "Kangaroo Jack" and is for a Wallmart gift card. Just wondering what gives. :???:

edit: after posting, it had disappeared. Too bad I don't know how to get screen shots. but .. OO! there it is on the word "signature" while I update this. Slippery code freak.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:52 pm 

I think you have spyware/adware, dude...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:26 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Anyone else seeing blue double underlined links in random places? Thumbnails show ads provided by "easyinline". At the time of this writing, a blue changeling link has taken the form of Alhadis's "Kangaroo Jack" and is for a Wallmart gift card. Just wondering what gives. :???:

edit: after posting, it had disappeared. Too bad I don't know how to get screen shots. but .. OO! there it is on the word "signature" while I update this. Slippery code freak.

Ask oogboog, he's good at taking screenshots. But yeah, that's unusual, it's probably a virus yeah, check that out. Install linux!!! :)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:27 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:

I use Alt + Print Screen (the 2nd one is in the top righthand corner), then go to Windows Paint, save it, then upload it to an image-hosting site (I don't know how you save it on another operating system, trying googling how to).

These ads don't pop up anywhere else, do they?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:57 am 

Morrigan wrote:
I think you have spyware/adware, dude...

Zorg85
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:35 am 

Artist index seems down again, some artists I added don"t appear and the pages are slow

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:39 pm 

Restarted -_-

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:19 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363 (Use only the TDSSkiller utility, it is very quick and free)
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... essentials

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:33 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
After sending a report, a dialogue box pops up that says something along the lines of "thanks for reporting" and also includes "cancel" and "send" buttons. I believe those buttons are recursive and unnecessary. I thought of this when I saw some duplicate reports.

edit: here's a screenshot of it!

I don't think "Send" even does anything.

Bringing this one up again, since the "send" button looks nice but only appears once the report has been sent.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 pm 

Eh? The Send button is what sends it in the first place, it just doesn't get removed cause I'm too lazy to hide it after the submit.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:05 pm 

I was thinking of it as a different window, not the same one from the original report, that makes more sense.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:28 pm 

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I figured I should ask. Is anything being done to fix the "cannot search user's posts at this time"" thing? It happens quite often.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:27 am 

Is the "Official Merchandise" need to be a section in the links? For bigger bands its The Catacombs / Rockabilia / Label.com/shop usually, for lesser-known - CDBaby where all can do a search to find out any CD, and for underground bands it's underground labels that sells their stuff and they are already mentioned in the "Labels" section. So it's almost useless I believe, if I want to buy something from bands those links won't help me so much and then I'll go Google/eBay. What do you think?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:20 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
helpful stuff ..

Thanks, man! Hopefully the blue bugs are smashed now.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:40 am 

Should I file a "Should be removed" report for albums with songs "Track 1", "Track 2" etc?

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:06 am 

HouseSpiders wrote:
Should I file a "Should be removed" report for albums with songs "Track 1", "Track 2" etc?

It probably depends, like with this album, it shouldn't be removed.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:15 am 

oogboog wrote:
It probably depends, like with this album, it shouldn't be removed.

Yeah, erh... that's correct. If you're 100% sure the album DOES have track titles and the submitter added it without a proper tracklist, by all means, file a report.

Don't go off assumptions though, because in cases like Remnants, sometimes the tracks *are* actually... called "Track 1", "Track 2", "Track 3", etc... :rolleyes:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:20 am 

This had probably been asked before, but is there any work being done on a notification system? At least an "inform me when a new release is added"-checkbox for bookmarked bands?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

warfighter67
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:49 pm 

Probably been suggested before. A search for my suggestion brought me to this topic, but I haven't found my exact suggestion.

Any plans to add a section for lyrics to bonus/unreleased tracks? A lot of my bands have albums with bonus tracks and I'd like to be able to look at the lyrics for them.
LOL, that would be ridiculous.
For honor we'll fight!!!
*CHUG, CHUG* *DODA* *DODA* *OPEN STRING*

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:56 am 

Three questions about mentioning the cover songs in the tracklist:

1) If the song originally written by composer, but this composer is not the first performer, who should be mentioned as cover artist: composer or the first performer?
2) If the band covered a classic tune, like Turkish March, can I wrote "Turkish March (Ludwig van Beethoven cover)"?
3) If the band covered well-known song but in their native language, should this song mentioned as a cover?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:08 pm 

I have a question on MA's view of "reissue vs compilation". Case in point, Mortuary Drape:

Into the Drape/Mourn Path
All the Witches Dance/Into the Drape

Would these count as simple reissues or compilations? And come to think of it is this Azermedoth Records edition legitimate?

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:43 pm 

aeternus1990 wrote:
Three questions about mentioning the cover songs in the tracklist:

1) If the song originally written by composer, but this composer is not the first performer, who should be mentioned as cover artist: composer or the first performer?
2) If the band covered a classic tune, like Turkish March, can I wrote "Turkish March (Ludwig van Beethoven cover)"?
3) If the band covered well-known song but in their native language, should this song mentioned as a cover?

1) In my opinion, the artist who popularized the song originally should be mentioned. For instance, Children of Bodom made a cover for "Oops, I did it Again", and it is known by everyone as a Britney Spears cover, not a (insert fuckknowswhich composer here) cover"

2) People that perform/record classical music (as a generalisation) are usually not to be considered cover artists. Or have you ever seen "The (random city) Symphony Orchestra proudly presents 'The Four Seasons' and other Vivaldi covers"???

3) Add the name of the song as it appears on the album to the tracklist, and add the mention in additional notes. For instance: "'Rompe la Ley' is a Judas Priest cover for 'Breaking the Law' in Spanish".
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:57 am 

androdion wrote:
I have a question on MA's view of "reissue vs compilation". Case in point, Mortuary Drape:

Would these count as simple reissues or compilations? And come to think of it is this Azermedoth Records edition legitimate?

Any feedback on this?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 pm 

Encountered a problem when updating more than one member of a band's lineup at once. Not a huge problem, but still a small bug.

I was updating a reunited band's lineup, so I added another date range to four members, entered the instrument and year, and clicked to save it. I mistakenly typed an invalid year on the third member, and an error message came up. I fixed it and resubmitted, and the first two members had the instrument and date range registered twice, so a duplicate appeared.

To re-state it slightly different words in case I wasn't clear enough, if there is an error/exception while modifying more than one lineup entry at a time (other than adding a new member), any modified information on the page before the error ends up being submitted twice as the page isn't refreshed.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:29 pm 

droneriot wrote:
This had probably been asked before, but is there any work being done on a notification system? At least an "inform me when a new release is added"-checkbox for bookmarked bands?

That's on the to-do list, but don't hold your breath.

androdion wrote:

Considering it's not a bootleg, that's a 2-in-1 release. In other words, just a reissue.

Quote:

01. It doesn't matter who composed the song. You should stick to who first recorded it.
02. Bands usually add the composer's name on the song title. If that's not the case, I'd say it's ok to add the composer's name in between brackets, but don't add the word "cover" next to it.
03. Yes, and add a note about it in the additional notes.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:53 am 

Thanks Evenfiel.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:03 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
01. It doesn't matter who composed the song. You should stick to who first recorded it.

OK, but to make it clear, the song "Hush" was written by Joe South in 60's, but he recorded it in 1970 while the first performer of this song was Billy Joe Royal according to this source, so how to tag "Hush" by Deep Purple: Joe South cover or Billy Joe Royal cover?

And what if cover done not only by different language but with different lyrics? Is it still a cover?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:39 am 

aeternus1990 wrote:
Evenfiel wrote:

OK, but to make it clear, the song "Hush" was written by Joe South in 60's, but he recorded it in 1970 while the first performer of this song was Billy Joe Royal according to this source, so how to tag "Hush" by Deep Purple: Joe South cover or Billy Joe Royal cover?

And what if cover done not only by different language but with different lyrics? Is it still a cover?

1. You judge a cover by who the artist was seeking to cover. In most cases, metal bands will tend to cover the "Deep Purple" version. It's acceptable to note it as such, but the principle is to go with who the band sought to cover (this may require some investigation).

2. If it's the same music, but different language, then it is still a cover. That said, this is one reason why it's very important for users NOT to wantonly add the lyrics of the original to its covers; unless stated by the band covering the music, we cannot know for certain that the lyrics of the cover match the lyrics of the original. Be careful about this, though. If only some of the music is used in a new song, then it's not a cover - it's sampling - which is quite common. It can also be a bit of a headache when dealing with classical music pieces, where bits of leitmotif are taken out of a greater musical piece (eg. Bathory's Hammerheart taking a small sample out of Holst's "The Planets". This is not a cover.)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:42 am 

Derigin wrote:
aeternus1990 wrote:

1. You judge a cover by who the artist was seeking to cover. In most cases, metal bands will tend to cover the "Deep Purple" version. It's acceptable to note it as such, but the principle is to go with who the band sought to cover (this may require some investigation).

I think he was asking about how to treat the Deep Purple cover here, not bands covering that cover. ;)

I would go with Billy Joe Royal, by the way.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:45 am 

Ah, well it's 8 AM in the morning here and I just woke up :P

In that case, it's a "Billy Joe Royal" cover. The band acknowledges it as such, and that was the recording artist for it.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:00 pm 

Just because I said I might mention it:

I'm sure you're aware of the recent spate of shit-hose that Wolfgong ranter sprayed all over, and Tony had the unenviable job of sweeping the stables, but somehow missed a few berries here and there (eventually achieving StableBoy Level 40 after successful purge). I'm not sure how your deletion system works. Perhaps there's a "Cleansing Fire" option to be added for the mods somehow so that everything a spammer of junk has done can be eradicated at once? haha .. but of course you've probably already dealt with dips like that and adjusted accordingly .. still, my heart went out to Tony because that shit was obnoxious. Just lookin' out. :)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:16 pm 

That depends on the forum's software. I know tat vBulletin allows for an option that lets an admin select and manage all of a user's posts at once. I have no idea what software is behind this forum though, or if anything like that is possible.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:33 pm 

Heh .. yeah, I don't know shit about these things, and I presume that fool wasn't the first of his kind. At the same time, I feel like if Tony had the option he surely would have used it. Unless he was so enraged and over it he misclicked like three times. :lol:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:12 pm 

Do I need to remind you guys what this thread is about? It's feedback about the software of the website. It's not for your question about how to credit a cover song, or to comment about forum issues. Any further off-topic posts will be split, or deleted if I feel unkind.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:20 pm 

Sorry. I just had the wrong idea. I thought it was general feedback. Won't happen again. apologies.

Haat888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:22 am 

artist index seems down again :(

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:22 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Do I need to remind you guys what this thread is about? It's feedback about the software of the website. It's not for your question about how to credit a cover song, or to comment about forum issues. Any further off-topic posts will be split, or deleted if I feel unkind.

No problem, just lead us to the topic where we can ask a questions about how to work with band entries.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 65  Next