Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:19 am 

false_icon wrote:
When clicking the link "Instrumental" for an instrumental track, then hiding the frame, the link changes to "Show lyrics", instead of "Instrumental".

https://imgur.com/1qusE80 -> https://imgur.com/iCSrXk2

That's because instrumental tracks by definition don't have lyrics. Some songs have liner notes which are fine to add to that field, but I think this is a known, very minor bug that doesn't affect that many entries, hence pretty far down the list of wanted things.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:13 pm 

Hey, thanks for your answer.
You're right, it's purely cosmetics, so no big deal.
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:54 pm 

oogboog wrote:
2. Maybe we can create a list of bands that haven't been modified after a certain number of years? I know I've come across stuff that hasn't been updated in several years, and while some may not get updated, like an obscure band that was only mentioned once in a review somewhere, it might be good to keep as much as we can up to date.

For what it's worth, I think this is a really good idea. I'm not sure how feasible it is, though, or if it'd be possible to have the feature divided per status "active, unknown, and split-up". That way the issue oogboog mentions about obscure (or defunct) bands shouldn't be a big problem. Dunno, but I like the idea.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:03 pm 

I dunno if this is the proper thread for this and/or if this suggestion has already been discussed.

I think it would be cool if the fact that a song was a cover was listed as, like, a subtitle instead of in the actual song title field. I also think it'd be cool if band links could be added for covers of bands that are on the Archives. That way if a band called Inferno was covered, it would save me from having to sift through all twenty-ish bands with that name or doing an advanced search.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Nite Vizhun
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05 pm 

Greetings all, long time lurker, first time poster. I've seen a couple other posts along these same lines, but I'd like to reiterate the suggestion of being able to search & sort albums by number of reviews. There's a Chrome add-on to do this with Amazon search results, and it's a huge help for finding the most popular and best options. I think adding sort by number of reviews would be a major help to a lot of metal fans, not just newbies.

Thanks for listening to my .02¢

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 am 

Definitely not the first time I have seen that suggestion. The advanced search comes up with too many unknown demos from 1985 that are nowhere to be found, causing inconvenience when searching music by genre. I would also like to +1 the idea.

Dickpenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:04 pm 

Hi,
I'd like a feature to link a song to a parent release.
Now, as I understand, a link to a parent release can only be broken up, but not restored.
Having the ability would be practical to:
- repair relations accidentally broken up
- link different bonus tracks appearing on different "Japanese limited remastered super deluxe tour editions" together, so that lyrics aren't entered into several versions separately
- maybe even link compilation tracks onto the albums they originate from, so lyrics are taken from there.

Also self-linking to here.
Spoiler: show
Is it possible to link songs of an album to another version?

Situation: An album has 5 shittons of versions.
The original version has no bonus tracks.
Two different following versions have the same bonus tracks, but have both been entered as a child of the original release instead of one using the other as its parent release.
They both inherit lyrics and durations of the main tracks from the master release, but info for the bonus tracks has to be entered for both separately, meaning lyrics are saved twice in the database, and if errors are corrected, corrections only appear in the specific version, not the other one.

So, is it possible (for mods) to link certain tracks to the corresponding one on other releases?

I know following versions can be entered using any previous version as their parent, but what if the data set already exists, and what if there are some bonus tracks which occur on different versions in different combinations, with no "master release" having all of them?

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:47 pm 

So last night I reported an album which was capitalized entirely in mayus and it got fixed, but it still shows up with its former, wrongly capitalized title, instead of the correct one in the search results:

https://imgur.com/a/1FLhAz6

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:50 pm 

Appears fine on my end. You may just need to clear your cache.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:59 pm 

How hard would it be to put the status next to the band in the search results, at least when searching by band? I've found myself in many situations where a band share names with others and I have to click in all of them in order to identify which is the correct one. For example: If you search for temnozor you get three results, but if you're looking for the active one there's no way to tell without opening all of them in new tabs and then discarding the ones you don't want. I think putting the status of the band somewhere would improve the search experience in these kind of situations, which, at least in my personal experience, are quite frequent.

Dickpenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:01 am 

blackmantram wrote:
How hard would it be to put the status next to the band in the search results, at least when searching by band?

I support that. Maybe change font colour of the band name to status colour, or put a coloured dot next to it, so it doesn't use up more space.

Also, is it just me, or is the session timeout annoyingly short these days? I can barely add a whole album without being logged out before saving the release. EDIT: issue has resolved itself after a few days.

Last edited by Dickpenis on Sun May 24, 2020 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
perzine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:08 pm 

perzine wrote:
HellBlazer wrote:
perzine wrote:
Okay, the silence on this issue is getting deafening right now. I understand admins like Hellblazer have many other commitments in their life, but it's been seven months now since I got a thumbs up from a mod about this issue, and four months since getting a subsequent thumbs up when asking about its progress, but nothing has been done.

If there are technical problems, please could someone say so, and explain how long it is likely to take to implement this change. There's loads of discrimination against gender variant people in the metal scene, so I don't think I'm overreacting by seeing that as a quite likely reason why this change has stalled.

The reason is I'm fucking busy. This site isn't my life. I have a full-time job -- and when I do have free time to relax, I must admit it's rare that I'll think "you know what would be fun? More programming!" I have a hard enough time just keeping up with my backlog of site emails. I'm not ignoring your request; there haven't been any changes to the site in the past months. And there's stuff that has been waiting for longer and is higher priority, besides.

I completely get this site isn't your life. But there had been no indication that anything was happening, and waiting more than half a year for a response from someone like yourself felt like I'd been pretty damn patient. And, as I said, there's plenty of precedent for these kinds of concerns getting pushed under the rug in our community.

Reluctant to raise the ire of mods again, but it's two years to the day since I last raised the issue of the absence of an option to mark someone's gender as "other" instead of "unknown/other" to accurately reflect the gender identity of performers like Vic from Vile Creature, who are non-binary (ie: their gender is really not "unknown", but is also neither male nor female), and there still appears to be no change, despite getting tacit mod approval at the time. (I'd also suggest having one category that is just "unknown", for situations whether the artist's gender identity really isn't known.)

Since my earlier post here, it occurred to me that it could do havoc to the database to remove the "unknown/other" category, so perhaps leaving that option there, and simply adding two extra options - one for "other" and one for "unknown" - would be better..?

If the view on this proposed change has shifted in these last two years, I would be interested to hear the reasoning.

Nightsward
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:35 pm 

While the new feature that color-codes a user's edits is both welcome and useful, it seems to be a bit bugged, especially for notes fields on user modification histories.

An example of an edit I made to some Colombian BM band's page:

But this is how the same edit looks on my mod history. Nothing shows up in the "new value" field:

And it looks like label links (and probably artist/band links too) don't show up at all. A newbie adding random links to an album's notes/recording info:

On their mod history:

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:08 pm 

Nightsward wrote:
While the new feature that color-codes a user's edits is both welcome and useful, it seems to be a bit bugged, especially for notes fields on user modification histories.

Fixed the user modification history.

perzine wrote:
Reluctant to raise the ire of mods again, but it's two years to the day since I last raised the issue of the absence of an option to mark someone's gender as "other" instead of "unknown/other" to accurately reflect the gender identity of performers like Vic from Vile Creature, who are non-binary (ie: their gender is really not "unknown", but is also neither male nor female), and there still appears to be no change, despite getting tacit mod approval at the time. (I'd also suggest having one category that is just "unknown", for situations whether the artist's gender identity really isn't known.)

Since my earlier post here, it occurred to me that it could do havoc to the database to remove the "unknown/other" category, so perhaps leaving that option there, and simply adding two extra options - one for "other" and one for "unknown" - would be better..?

If the view on this proposed change has shifted in these last two years, I would be interested to hear the reasoning.

It's still on my to-do list. I'll get to it soon, honest. And yeah, the main issue is how to accurately separate the current "other/unknown" artists into their more accurate gender field values (there will also be an "N/A" option for non-gendered entities like orchestras or whatever). I guess I could just add the new values and let people sort it out, but I'd like to at least do a first pass on the data and try to sort out the maximum number of entries, if I can find a good way to do it.

perzine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:34 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
perzine wrote:

It's still on my to-do list. I'll get to it soon, honest. And yeah, the main issue is how to accurately separate the current "other/unknown" artists into their more accurate gender field values (there will also be an "N/A" option for non-gendered entities like orchestras or whatever). I guess I could just add the new values and let people sort it out, but I'd like to at least do a first pass on the data and try to sort out the maximum number of entries, if I can find a good way to do it.

Ah, sweet. And I hadn't thought about corporate entities - that addition of N/A for them sounds good too.

I'd probably vote in favour of adding the extra two options of "unknown" and "other" now, as the lion's share of artists probably don't have enough info in their bio (I'd imagine) to distinguish why they had the "unknown/other" gender category, though I can understand wanting to start off with a few artists already with those new categories.

odium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:02 pm 

I have difficulties updating site info through Google Chrome. Tried this on several computers - same. I can add links only (what I tried), but can't add albums, or update info on albums (the page is "loading" forever, after trying to save the changes. These bugs started some 5-6 hours ago (at least that's when I noticed it).

Dickpenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 pm 

Request for a small change for better usability: When adding another instrument for a musician, please make the newly created field active automatically after the [+] was pressed (set the cursor into the field).

odium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:17 am 

odium wrote:
I have difficulties updating site info through Google Chrome. Tried this on several computers - same. I can add links only (what I tried), but can't add albums, or update info on albums (the page is "loading" forever, after trying to save the changes. These bugs started some 5-6 hours ago (at least that's when I noticed it).

Ok, I tried on third computer with Google Chrome, and it works fine. Cleaned cache and browsing history on first two computers, still the same problem (can't add or change info in discography). Any ideas what's the problem and how to solve it? (using another browser just for one site is not really an option, I would say...)

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:13 am 

I've got the same porblem recently after I updated my Chrome version to 83.0.4103.61. Everything is fine in Firefox, maybe it's Chrome's error.

odium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:38 pm 

0th wrote:
I've got the same porblem recently after I updated my Chrome version to 83.0.4103.61. Everything is fine in Firefox, maybe it's Chrome's error.

Yes, seems same reason in my case as well. Any chance how to solve it? Or is there a simple way to get back to the older version?

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:41 pm 

HellBlazer fixed this issue a few minutes ago, so everything should work fine again.

odium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:49 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
HellBlazer fixed this issue a few minutes ago, so everything should work fine again.

Yes, back to normal, thank you.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:22 pm 

Dickpenis wrote:
Also, is it just me, or is the session timeout annoyingly short these days? I can barely add a whole album without being logged out before saving the release.

Hmm, which session? You get logged out of your account?

Dickpenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:56 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Hmm, which session? You get logged out of your account?

Yes, but it's already back to normal, was just for some days. Should have updated that post.

Nightsward
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:41 pm 

Cheers for fixing the bug with the empty fields, HB, but it still shows up in some circumstances:

Direct link if you'd like to check for yourself.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:57 pm 

Weird ass bug I just came across on an individual band's page. Under the reviews list for Crematory (Germany), autothrall's review for Forever Autumn by Lake of Tears is inexplicably listed and linked.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Crematory/563

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:28 am 

Looks like this is caused by this version linking to Crematory:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/C ... umn/644507

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:36 pm 

I think it would be cool and immensely useful if the advanced search function was expanded to search artist pages as well.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

PiotrB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:05 am 

When you try to add artists to the line-up then you can see artists with the same country but with older and new names of it.
Like the Czech Republic and Czechia or Macedonia (FYROM) and North Macedonia.
Screenshot:
https://ibb.co/Fhmyb0n

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:30 pm 

I've been having an issue with adding band photos recently. It blocks me from uploading a picture even though I know for sure that it's under 250kb. Has anyone else had this happen?

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:39 am 

oogboog wrote:
I've been having an issue with adding band photos recently. It blocks me from uploading a picture even though I know for sure that it's under 250kb. Has anyone else had this happen?

Yes, somewhat frequently. It's happened once or twice with band photos as well.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Nightsward
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:26 am 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
oogboog wrote:

Yes, somewhat frequently. It's happened once or twice with band photos as well.

We only support certain image formats (.png and .jpg/.jpeg for sure, maybe others too). Make sure that the image in question is in one of those two formats (and not something wonky like .html).

Also, occasionally you'll stumble across an image that has a .jpg extension but isn't actually in that format, in which case you'll get that error too. In that case, use an image converter like this to convert the image into true .jpg format (I'm sure there's a method to do this with programs like photoshop or even paint as well). It should work then.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:33 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%E ... 3540457111

The band name for this new addition, as well as the titles on the album page, just show as little boxes. But only on the header/titles for each page. On the list of latest band additions, the name shows just fine, for instance. I'm sure I'm missing some kind of font or encoding somewhere, but I just wanted to report it in case it's something else.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:07 am 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%E1%83%9B%E1%83%94%E1%83%9B%E1%83%94%E1%83%9C%E1%83%A2%E1%83%9D_%E1%83%9B%E1%83%9D%E1%83%A0%E1%83%98/3540457111

The band name for this new addition, as well as the titles on the album page, just show as little boxes. But only on the header/titles for each page. On the list of latest band additions, the name shows just fine, for instance. I'm sure I'm missing some kind of font or encoding somewhere, but I just wanted to report it in case it's something else.

It's a know issue with Georgian font. Basically album and band pages enforce small-caps on band and album names, but Georgian doesn't have that, it's all lower-case, so most browsers don't know what they're supposed to show there.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:46 am 

Small buggy thingy in rendering text:

I was going through the reviews for Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos and after the third review, which ends in the text in italics, everything below that is also rendered in italics, titles, reviewers, texts etc. I am guessing the review above has not closed a tag or something and it carries on.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... chor196969

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:47 am 

Thanks, fixed.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:18 am 

Why can't a release be submitted with year "unknown" as a "parent" version? It's much better than having all the information added to the additional notes where they might not be visible, and can be deleted easily.

Example: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Tenebra/120828

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:04 am 

Does anyone think we should bump up the points required for each rank? Imo I feel recently there's been more stuff that users can edit. I know they were bumped up when we upgraded to v2, with the artists and label info, but now we have album versions/formats.

Also, I never really gave it a thought before, but I feel like there's no difference between a metal demon/freak, at least according to the access info. This is all of the info that's there right now in the help page, unless one's a typo.

Only members with a rank of Metal freak or higher can update certain fields: artist aliases, label names, album titles.
    Only members with a rank of Metal freak or higher can delete album tracks, change categories of submitted reports, and ignore discography locks.

eukocha
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:25 pm 

It would be cool if there was an added feature be able to comment on peoples' reviews, like below each review there could be a "comments" link that can be expanded or not (so that it doesn't take extra space if you don't want to see them). It would be awesome though because so many shitty and unfair reviews could be responded to. Plus it could add an interactive element to the site. Idk or maybe this is a terrible idea haha but damn some people write stupid shit. Apologies if I posted this is in the wrong place.

SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:45 pm 

eukocha wrote:
It would be cool if there was an added feature be able to comment on peoples' reviews, like below each review there could be a "comments" link that can be expanded or not (so that it doesn't take extra space if you don't want to see them). It would be awesome though because so many shitty and unfair reviews could be responded to. Plus it could add an interactive element to the site. Idk or maybe this is a terrible idea haha but damn some people write stupid shit. Apologies if I posted this is in the wrong place.

n o

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next