Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Blackmore Forever
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:04 pm 

I think it would be better to NEVER translate the cities' names, so it would be always clear at first sight (even where the names are alone, without their province/state written along them) what city is.

Example: there is only one "Firenze", whereas there are at least 3 "Florence" (or 4, if you include Firenze's translation) in the world, even if the far bigger and famous of them is the italian city.

The same goes for every other italian (or not) city IMO. By the way, i can't understand why some of them are translated (the above, or "Genova"/"Genoa" and some other) and many others not... so not even coherence is in this issue.

So, again: my advice is to NEVER translate the proper names, at least for cities, if not also for regions/province etc.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:36 pm 

Uhh bands are shown by country so it is always clear.

HouseSpiders
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:47 pm 

Actually, their listed country alone doesn't always make it so clear. The country of origin is where the band originated from, whereas the location is their current location. If there are multiple cities with the same name and the country is ambiguous, the best way around is to simply write the country in brackets next to the location... for example, if a band starts in France but later moves to Florence in Italy, I would list the information like this:

Country of origin: France

I think we should keep the English translations so that it's understandable to a larger audience. This website is in English, meaning any visitors/regulars know at least some English, thus are far more likely to understand an English name than an Italian name. Many of us instantly recognize Beijing as the capital of China... but if we read that capital in Chinese, we'd be far less likely to understand and recognize it.

Reply to topic