Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
KingSpooky
The Man, The Machine, The Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:30 pm 

- The band's name printed on the label with the same font as the rest of the printing on the label (even if in bold lettering) isn't the band's logo.

- Songwriters (unless credited on all songs? - see last paragraph, hoping for clarification) can't be assumed to be band members. Since it is likely they are, though, the songwriting credits can be added to 'other staff' in the release(s) until it's verified that they were a band member (then they can be listed under 'band members' tab), and those individuals can be mentioned in the main page additional notes, so that browsers who wish to research the band further and potentially provide more information with their findings can have something to go on. Many users won't check 'lineup' / 'other staff', but since our goal is to have the page eventually be complete, that information, as well as the city that the record was recorded in is useful information to enter in to the bio/additional notes on the main page. Searches of recording location and songwriting credits often yield more information. The city or state that the band recorded in or that the record label is based out of shouldn't be entered in as the band's location.

Example of the above being applied: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Cr ... 3540537711

To add to this, I've entered in songwriting credits as band members on these at times in the past (and have seen several others do the same), but recently saw a case where that went very wrong. The people credited as members on one band's page ended up being from some '70s prog rock band that in Italy are fairly well-known, and that a cover song was being played by, and it was (rightfully) ridiculed on the Heavy Metal Rarities forum that the page listed that other band's members as having been in a band that they were never involved with at all. So, in putting this post together, I'm not saying that I've always done these the correct way, but that it would be best for it to be done this way going forward. I will soon be going through a lot of these and cleaning up cases in which they were done incorrectly. Feel free to help, or fix as you see them if you'd like to.

https://www.metal-archives.com/search/a ... yl*#albums
(a lot of them are here, and many, many results are just popular singles by well-known bands).

I'd like to confirm with moderators, though, if it is the band's only release and both the A and B sides (every song, often only 2) have an individual credited for songwriting, should they be considered a band member? Here's the example that brought this question up:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/E ... ide/635511
- there may be enough to enter in that R. Osiecki and P. Jacquez are members, since they contributed to the songwriting of both songs. However, K. Bentley and C. Saeeier, having been songwriters on one song each, in my opinion would better not to be assumed as members, as it could easily be the case that they are a friend that threw in some ideas during the writing process. Would the preference be crediting R. Osiecki and P. Jacquez as members, or songwriters only?

KingSpooky
The Man, The Machine, The Legend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:29 pm 

So, tomorrow I'll have time to start going through these and making necessary corrections. In my opinion it is safe to assume that if all (usually only 2) songs on a band's sole release have a songwriter credited, they could also be listed a member, and songwriters on only one song can't be assumed to be a band member. So far no verification that that will be best practice going forward, so will go with what makes most sense unless a post here states otherwise.

Reply to topic