Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hansgrinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:44 pm 

Hello,

As my thread title suggests, I have a small and somewhat inconsequential suggestion for the forums.

Would it be possible to add a link or button at the top of the forums pages to take you back to the main page or open it in another tab? There have been numerous times where I read about a band on the forums and wanted to look it up, only to have to open up a new tab or window to do so. I keep thinking that the big "Encyclopedia Metallum" banner will do this, but it only takes you back to the forums index. I know this is a pretty lazy thing for me to suggest counteracting, but I feel like it's a small addition that could be useful for everyone that uses the forums.

Thanks.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:53 pm 

Yeah, I can do that for you.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:11 pm 

Hehe, I've actually been thinking the same thing a couple of times. Just make the banner in the upper left direct to the site instead of the forum, I say. We already have "Forum index".

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:19 pm 

Doesn't the "Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum" button at the bottom of the forum page do exactly that, though? :scratch:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:37 pm 

Guess so, but for me the banner seems the more obvious choice.

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:47 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Doesn't the "Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum" button at the bottom of the forum page do exactly that, though? :scratch:

Now that you mention it, it does, but with it being at the bottom of the page and not particularly visible, I never even noticed it. At the top it would be much more convenient.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:53 pm 

Ehhh I'm so used to the banner taking us to the forum index that I would be annoyed at changing it. Just use the link at the bottom.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:08 pm 

Would making the "Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives" at the top of the page (the text, not the picture) into a link to the site be feasible?
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:30 pm 

What I had in mind was doing what pbsisbad just noted. The banner will remain as is.

Hold on while I do it.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:43 pm 

Alright, it is done. :)

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:44 pm 

Great, thanks! I'll certainly be using this.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:47 pm 

The added bonus to this is that when you click the link at the top, you don't have to move the cursor to get to the site's search function.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 pm 

If anything it should be the other way around, since it says "Message board" under the center text, and the banner is associated with the main page. There's even a Forum Index link directly under the banner anyway.

Personally I have both archive and forum bookmarked in the Firefox toolbar. More convenient.

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:31 pm 

Awesome.
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

hansgrinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:17 am 

Aw shit, awesome! I admit I did notice the link at the bottom mere minutes after I posted this thread, but I guess I wasn't the only one who missed it. This is cool, and sure to improve the flow between the mainpage and the forums. Thanks to the mods and normal users alike!

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:41 am 

kingnuuuur wrote:
If anything it should be the other way around, since it says "Message board" under the center text, and the banner is associated with the main page. There's even a Forum Index link directly under the banner anyway.

It may not be logical, but it's better than nothing. Looks like changing it that way around isn't feasible (see Morrigan's comment - though that may not be the final word on it).

Quote:
Personally I have both archive and forum bookmarked in the Firefox toolbar. More convenient.

It's not user friendly to have your users have to do that, though. The above issue, too, really. The site itself would benefit from setting it up more logically.

Reply to topic