Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:11 am 

Maybe not but the overall feel of the songs really isn't much different.

gasmask_colostomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:51 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Maybe not but the overall feel of the songs really isn't much different.

I feel a LOT different when I listen to Diamonds though. I’m more in with BastardHead’s take and feel they’ve abandoned what originally made them good. I’m not excited by Zenith at all.

CHAIRTHROWER
Chairleader

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:23 pm 

Fuck yeah! A new Duel album taking kooky, "Haus of Mille Cadavres" pyscho-kinetyk flight soon, soon, soon!

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/D ... ows/770379

Quick, hand over the nearest chaise!

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:55 pm 

Hue props to Metalmegalomani for that Idle Hands write-up, Hell's_Unicorn for that Possessed one, and Felix 1666 for the WASP one. I agree with pretty much everything written (save for some points here and there) and these made for some great lunchtime reads!

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:26 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Hue props to Metalmegalomani for that Idle Hands write-up, Hell's_Unicorn for that Possessed one, and Felix 1666 for the WASP one. I agree with pretty much everything written (save for some points here and there) and these made for some great lunchtime reads!

Much obliged bro, the new Possessed album is flirting with the Top 3 of my eventual Metal Observer Top 30 of 2019, they really came back with a vengeance. :hail:

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm 

SweetLeaf95, enjoy your meal!

CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:36 pm 

Mr. Unicorn, are you SURE that there's real drumming on "Rapid Foray"? I remember another cheapo-typewriter-ride amidst the (this time a little less) botched production.

I know Rolf wants us to believe there are three different drummers on there. Like on Devin Townsend's new record. Haha.

I need to check that "Rapid Foray" album again this weekend.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - NEW music video!
Adder's Fork - NEW EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:03 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Mr. Unicorn, are you SURE that there's real drumming on "Rapid Foray"? I remember another cheapo-typewriter-ride amidst the (this time a little less) botched production.

I know Rolf wants us to believe there are three different drummers on there. Like on Devin Townsend's new record. Haha.

I need to check that "Rapid Foray" album again this weekend.

lol The guy credited on the album is a real drummer that has also done work for Victory and Herman Frank recently, so I'd put more stock in it being a real drummer this time, though it is possible that he simply agreed to be credited without actually playing. Having said that, you may have thought it was another drum machine because the drums are pretty heavily triggered, but based on my own experience working in the recording studio with both a live drummer and also mapping drums using more expensive software like Superior Drummer 3, I'd say that bare minimum they recorded real cymbals, the decay rate is too random for it to be a machine. I'm sure that in post-production that Rolf probably loaded up the snare and tom tracks with samples to beef them up, which results in a sound comparable to a machine if you don't randomize the velocity on each strike, and I'm pretty confident that the kick drum was likely done using a digital pad with a sampled kick. This is all guess work on my part, but I have developed a fairly good ear for spotting machines vs. real drummers, though after post-production it can get a bit dicey if a lot of samples are added on.

To be honest, I generally don't mind programmed drums and I'm not as turned off by Running Wild's 2000s albums as everybody else is, so it's very possible that you may come away still disliking Rapid Foray after hearing it again.

My reviews.

nuklearkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:22 pm 

I don’t really understand how people claim Judas Iscariot is bland and generic. The first four albums are absolutely untouchable.

CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:04 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:

lol The guy credited on the album is a real drummer that has also done work for Victory and Herman Frank recently, so I'd put more stock in it being a real drummer this time, though it is possible that he simply agreed to be credited without actually playing.

Thanks for the additional info. I'm currently listening to the album again, trying to find the truth ^^

Quote:
Having said that, you may have thought it was another drum machine because the drums are pretty heavily triggered, but based on my own experience working in the recording studio with both a live drummer and also mapping drums using more expensive software like Superior Drummer 3, I'd say that bare minimum they recorded real cymbals, the decay rate is too random for it to be a machine. I'm sure that in post-production that Rolf probably loaded up the snare and tom tracks with samples to beef them up, which results in a sound comparable to a machine if you don't randomize the velocity on each strike, and I'm pretty confident that the kick drum was likely done using a digital pad with a sampled kick. This is all guess work on my part, but I have developed a fairly good ear for spotting machines vs. real drummers, though after post-production it can get a bit dicey if a lot of samples are added on.

Yeah, I suppose you're right, the triggering is highly obvious. The snare sound is by far the worst part of it all, though. The cymbals are quiet and powerless too, but the failed attempt at recreating an 80s gated-reverb type of snare is the worst affront to my ears. Still, it sounds more human than expected. Don't get me wrong though, I don't really mind programmed drums when they are done well and I'm trying to get them to sound as real and fine as possible in my own music, but it's the mix that hurts Running Wild's later albums so bad....it's almost as if Rolf WANTED to shine a light onto the worst aspects of his band's modern-day incarnation (the thin rhythm guitars, repetitive drumming and his waning vocal abilities).

Quote:
To be honest, I generally don't mind programmed drums and I'm not as turned off by Running Wild's 2000s albums as everybody else is, so it's very possible that you may come away still disliking Rapid Foray after hearing it again.

I'm disliking this thing because it adds (almost) nothing to the band's catalogue. There's a lot of lackluster and/or previously used ideas and sometimes it feels like Rolf's screaming at me "look at how irrelevant I've become!". It's a little disheartening.

"Black Bart" is a fine enough classic scorcher, I guess. A few lead guitars are worth a few cents as well and "Hellectrified" reminds me a little of some of their above-average rockers from the early 90s. The attempt at recreating "Treasure Island" with the closer is honorable enough, but the result is - ultimately - just far, far away from the original's greatness.

By the end of this post, I'm through with the album (to be honest, with a few non-immediate skips) and I don't think I'll come back to it anytime soon. It's just not worth the time for me.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - NEW music video!
Adder's Fork - NEW EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:03 pm 

Felix.... now you've upset me.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:38 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:

lol Can't say I agree with his assessment of Still Not Black Enough either. I may have to put my 2 cents in on that album at some point soon, but likely after the upcoming challenge.

My reviews.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:26 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
SweetLeaf95 wrote:

lol Can't say I agree with his assessment of Still Not Black Enough either. I may have to put my 2 cents in on that album at some point soon, but likely after the upcoming challenge.

Me seeing Felix's review.

Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:45 pm 

Last thing I wanted was to upset you, SweetLeaf and the other well appreciated dudes. But I will tell Lawless to write better albums so that we do not have any trouble in future, haha. However, The Headless Children will remain his masterpiece.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:16 am 

All good, the review itself was well written, just don't agree with it, haha. Still Not Black Enough is one of my favorites so it did me a sad reacc.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 380, 381, 382, 383, 384