Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:15 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I don't understand what point RapeTheDead's Sonne Adam review is trying to make. A bunch of complaining about superfluous record label stuff and mostly saying there's nothing wrong with the album but still calling it bad because it doesn't sound like typical death/doom? Just a really weird hill to die on, really. I guess it'd make more sense if the review had come out closer to the album's release, but right now it reads like someone swinging at ghosts.

Also, the open admission of preconceived notions about the album irks me quite a bit.

I guess in a sentence, my opinion of the album is "it's okay but the production sucks and doesn't fit the style at all". It sounds like a death/doom album produced by someone who had no idea what made the genre good, or who wasn't used to working with the style. If a much cleaner and subtler production style, too, hence my "death/doom for people who don't like a lot of death/doom" statement.

I suppose I could have been a bit more concise in making that point, but it's not like I wasn't making that point in different ways? The individual performances on the album are tolerable and sometimes even good in isolation, but I find it doesn't gel when it all comes together. That's basically my main knock on the album, and it makes for music I don't want to come back to even if I'm not repulsed while it's on. I think a 44% is a good reflection of that.

The superfluous record label stuff was more just to give some extra context. Perhaps it would have been more relevant/poignant if I did it years ago when this came out. I just happened to borrow Transformation a couple weeks ago from a buddy who just bought it used and it brought back some memories of the general discussion/commentary on this album when it was released. Also thought it would be a good talking point to ruminate on how Century Media's kind of evolved as a label over the years. Perhaps I could have spent more time talking about the music and less about "nothing" as droneriot put it, fair point, I could stand to be less fluffy at times, but I had a couple good paragraphs of musical description in there. At least I thought so!

I also thought the label stuff gave a good framework to discuss what the album sounds like. What's wrong with having preconceived notions and talking about that? You have them too, whether or not you want to admit it. Otherwise promotion and marketing for bands wouldn't exist. I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that we don't have them about music or that things like label hype, aesthetics, and how a band presents themselves visually won't affect how we think the music is going to sound.

Regardless, thank you to both of y'all (xlxlx and drone) for reading and engaging with my review, even if you didn't really like it. I sure as fuck hope my other reviews aren't just longwinded ramblings about nothing to other folks!

(I'm just gonna go with drone's suggestion about my fluffiness being a metaphor for the album trying to be more profound than it is....)

BANDS I FUCK WITH:
SKYLESS AEONS - Death? Prog? Melodic? iunno
CRYOPATHY - suicidal mosh music
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE - post-black sad bois

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:27 pm 

Oh, it's fine, really. I didn't hate the review per se, but it does feel kind of generally dilluted, or at least what points there are aren't as strongly worded as I think they should be. Musical description is sufficient, yes, but I certainly would've preferred to see more of that and less extramusical discussion. Right now, it reads like the album was taken as a sort of scapegoat for a scene phenomenon you dislike, without it necessarily being actually bad.

Regarding preconceived notions, allow me to elaborate; I think there's a significant difference between "I expect this to sound a certain way based off X factor" and "this doesn't sound like what I expected, so I hate it", which is kind of what I got from your review. Maybe that wasn't your original intention, but I still got a bit irritated by what I interpreted as disliking something because it doesn't tick certain pre-made boxes that only exist in the listener's head, if that makes any sense.

I've read some of your other stuff and you're generally really good, so don't take this as a general condemnation of your writing. And anyhow, thank you for the measured and detailed reply. It'd be great to have more people here who can take criticism with such stride.
Infant Annihilator are well known to sell their albums on Iron Maiden - Killers tapes that they recorded their stuff over. And they're in the process of figuring out how to burn over pressed Beherit and Darkthrone CDs.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:45 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Also re: series: I like them, I think they're fun and I've done quite a few myself. Hell droneriot's series of ten perfect albums is what convinced me to give Winter a shot.

Luckily I came up with two series that I'd like to work on, which would be better than give my opinion on albums I subjectively deem as overrated. The two series I came up with should target the objective on albums for the most part, and that's what I'm aiming for.

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:57 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Oh, it's fine, really. I didn't hate the review per se, but it does feel kind of generally dilluted, or at least what points there are aren't as strongly worded as I think they should be. Musical description is sufficient, yes, but I certainly would've preferred to see more of that and less extramusical discussion. Right now, it reads like the album was taken as a sort of scapegoat for a scene phenomenon you dislike, without it necessarily being actually bad.

Regarding preconceived notions, allow me to elaborate; I think there's a significant difference between "I expect this to sound a certain way based off X factor" and "this doesn't sound like what I expected, so I hate it", which is kind of what I got from your review. Maybe that wasn't your original intention, but I still got a bit irritated by what I interpreted as disliking something because it doesn't tick certain pre-made boxes that only exist in the listener's head, if that makes any sense.

I've read some of your other stuff and you're generally really good, so don't take this as a general condemnation of your writing. And anyhow, thank you for the measured and detailed reply. It'd be great to have more people here who can take criticism with such stride.

I mean, I can see how it'd be interpreted that way, especially given my last paragraph. If anything I could probably stand to revise that a bit, I don't think my conclusion was clear enough/not related to the music enough which kind of underscores what you're saying there. That's what feedback's for I guess! I may edit it, not that it makes a huge difference. We'll see how lazy I feel this weekend.

And well, it's easier to take criticism when it comes alongside validation like that! haha

BANDS I FUCK WITH:

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:06 pm 

RapeTheDead wrote:
I mean, I can see how it'd be interpreted that way, especially given my last paragraph. If anything I could probably stand to revise that a bit, I don't think my conclusion was clear enough/not related to the music enough which kind of underscores what you're saying there. That's what feedback's for I guess! I may edit it, not that it makes a huge difference. We'll see how lazy I feel this weekend.

And well, it's easier to take criticism when it comes alongside validation like that! haha

Especially when it's constructive.

I was criticized at least twice when I just started reviewing and they were right. There was another criticism three months ago that I didn't realize that sounded like an insult, but it's behind me and I'm already planning on editing that specific review including most of my other reviews for accurate rating, better titles, and fix/edit/remove some information for verbal and grammatical purposes.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:47 pm 

Regarding milestones, # 500 will be a good-er, for sure...Screw it, I'll reveal said personal requiem (number) now!

Considering DC doom legends Pentagram virtually re-kindled my affinity for pentatonic, Black Sabbath modeled rock and metal in general (alongside Nebula, Electric Wizard, Pale Divine, Pagan Altar and Orange Goblin) plan to fully revere the First Daze Here (One) compilation from '04 (It goes without saying it'll score a leisurely 100%!). The first time I heard "Forever My Queen" at a music shop in downtown Montreal, way back, I literally freaked out! Good times...can hardly wait (I still have Human Hurricane and A Keg Full of D. to complete before-hand though)

(FDH 2 is a step down - review # 501, I s'pose - more around the 90-92% mark, tops)

But yeah, I'd certainly love to glean more of yours (BH) as well as Metantoine's (snappily crisp) write-ups soon!

OK, guys, that's the last of my *ahem* narcissistic self-aggrandizing (for a good while, no-how!)

Keep up the grand, stellar, legendry-ous work!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:46 pm 

EzraBlumenfield's review of the new Blind Guardian is odd - not because of the rating, which I agree with wholeheartedly, but even if he didn't listen to the previews, how the hell did he miss all the constant hype and press about it being the "orchestral" album?

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:39 am 

Hey Chairthrower, apparently chair metal is a genre: viewtopic.php?f=27&p=2871419#p2871419 - need to scroll up a few posts.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:05 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Hey Chairthrower, apparently chair metal is a genre: viewtopic.php?f=27&p=2871419#p2871419 - need to scroll up a few posts.

It was really worth reading that page in full. Extremely enlightening.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:31 pm 

Call me dense or an armchair (only) but I fully missed the gyst, or point you lads were attempting to make!

OK, I've a new, wicked serial review project coming up...all I'll profess is...(and glean this book at your local library, now! buy it, if it's not in or stocked, it's tantamount, paramount, *mount, you know?!):

METAL ON ICE - Tales From Canada's Hard Rock And Heavy metal Heroes, by Sean Kelly, Dundurn Press, Montreal, 2013...(nerd-form)

(You will thank me later, eh?)

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:59 pm 

Petrus_Steele wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Also re: series: I like them, I think they're fun and I've done quite a few myself. Hell droneriot's series of ten perfect albums is what convinced me to give Winter a shot.

Luckily I came up with two series that I'd like to work on, which would be better than give my opinion on albums I subjectively deem as overrated. The two series I came up with should target the objective on albums for the most part, and that's what I'm aiming for.

Potentially broaching a much larger topic here, but I personally find this fight between objectivity and subjectivity (and the usual approach to strive for the former) to be a weird waste of time that every reviewing community struggles with. I have no fucking clue what people want when they complain that something is "too subjective" and say that reviewers should be "more objective", because 10/10 times it seems to mean "reviewers should agree with me more often". This isn't necessarily what you're saying, and it usually comes more from readers than writers, but what the hell do y'all want? A purely objective review would just be a list of tempos and key sigs or whatever. A rundown of the elements within an album with no context or qualitative judgment sounds fucking tedious and valueless.

On the other hand, I see writers do this as well, sometimes tempering every criticism and qualitative judgment with statements like "in my opinion", as if to stave off the dorks from the previous paragraph. That's what a review is supposed to be. It's your judgment, your interpretation, your qualitative assessment, you don't need to remind people that this isn't an academic breakdown of what each individual piece of the equation is. This is why I've taken the approach of generally leaving statements like that out of my reviews over the years, because no shit it's my opinion, I'm the one writing it. I see so many people hold this mythical "objectivity" up as an aspirational goal when it's antithetical to the medium itself. Break it down, sure, but tell me what you think of it, dammit. And at the same time I see people wield "subjectivity" like a cudgel to smash down everything they don't agree with. Nobody has ever once complained that "well this review is spot on but it's way too subjective".

It's a balancing act, but ffs embrace the subjectivity of the whole thing. Bland, detached rundowns are boring as fuck to read and there's a reason that all of the best reviewers here have their own voice and personality that shines through in their writing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:07 pm 

I think a lot of the people who talk about "reviews being more objective" don't know what objective even means.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:17 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Potentially broaching a much larger topic here, but I personally find this fight between objectivity and subjectivity (and the usual approach to strive for the former) to be a weird waste of time that every reviewing community struggles with. I have no fucking clue what people want when they complain that something is "too subjective" and say that reviewers should be "more objective", because 10/10 times it seems to mean "reviewers should agree with me more often". This isn't necessarily what you're saying, and it usually comes more from readers than writers, but what the hell do y'all want? A purely objective review would just be a list of tempos and key sigs or whatever. A rundown of the elements within an album with no context or qualitative judgment sounds fucking tedious and valueless.

On the other hand, I see writers do this as well, sometimes tempering every criticism and qualitative judgment with statements like "in my opinion", as if to stave off the dorks from the previous paragraph. That's what a review is supposed to be. It's your judgment, your interpretation, your qualitative assessment, you don't need to remind people that this isn't an academic breakdown of what each individual piece of the equation is. This is why I've taken the approach of generally leaving statements like that out of my reviews over the years, because no shit it's my opinion, I'm the one writing it. I see so many people hold this mythical "objectivity" up as an aspirational goal when it's antithetical to the medium itself. Break it down, sure, but tell me what you think of it, dammit. And at the same time I see people wield "subjectivity" like a cudgel to smash down everything they don't agree with. Nobody has ever once complained that "well this review is spot on but it's way too subjective".

So by dissecting an album subjectively, for better, it makes the review more enjoyable? I hear what you say WHEN you say "A purely objective review would just be a list of tempos and key sigs or whatever. A rundown of the elements within an album with no context or qualitative judgment sounds fucking tedious and valueless." - that sounds exactly like the kind of crap you read from film critics and such, which really makes it look like they're creating a fact when they voice their opinion just like everyone else.

It seemed as though my attitude was about analyzing the objective on an album. That's something I want to get away from. I write for my opinion, not to make facts.

BastardHead wrote:
It's a balancing act, but ffs embrace the subjectivity of the whole thing. Bland, detached rundowns are boring as fuck to read and there's a reason that all of the best reviewers here have their own voice and personality that shines through in their writing.

You know what? Damn. You slapped me back into reality. When I started writing reviews, I was more objective and somewhat tasteless on my approach. But when I started to notice I'm really voicing my own, long opinion, I thought I was making matters worse. It's ironic that I'm always for subjectivity and having a matter of opinion than trying to create facts, but I suppose I veered away from the idea I believed in. So yeah, I don't want to literally dissect a whole freaking album because it'll make the review unnecessarily long with pointless information that the average listener probably doesn't care about. I want people to read my reviews for why they should listen to this album and why they shouldn't listen to that album, and most importantly to enjoy reading what I have to offer.

Thanks for bringing all those strong points to my attention! As we say today, "woke". With this information, I'll actually start enjoying writing reviews again because now I don't have to think about all that objectivity horseshit.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:20 pm 

Okay start by listening to Bolt Thrower and consider that the "filler tracks" are the ones that hold the songs with cool riffs together, pretty much the same Reign in Blood did.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:28 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Okay start by listening to Bolt Thrower and consider that the "filler tracks" are the ones that hold the songs with cool riffs together, pretty much the same Reign in Blood did.

I've already written for Bolt Thrower.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:51 pm 

Petrus_Steele wrote:
I've already written for Bolt Thrower.

That's exactly what I said.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:05 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Useful rant about objectivity
Spoiler: show

I totally agree with what you’re saying about how a truly objective review would lose the point of listening to music at all, since the qualitative content is much more important than the quantitative facts. However, when most people are trying to write an “objective review”, I’d guess that they are really aiming to write a neutral review, trimming down their personal bias as much as possible.

I’ve tried to change my writing style when I write for different publications (TMO and print mag Metalegion) because in that medium my personal opinion stands for the whole body of reviewers I’m working with. It won’t be totally objective and it doesn’t completely lack personality, but I attempt to do 2 things: look on the album calmly and rationally, preferably from more than one perspective, and swallow the “I” in the writing. Of course, it doesn’t always work perfectly, but I like to think it leads to more balanced reviewing.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:51 am 

I'm starting to think that when people say "objectivity," what they really mean is "context." If your praises and complaints are based more on what thing a given album is doing as opposed to how well it is doing the thing, I won't take you quite as seriously. Not everything needs to be nice but I think reviews should always be done in something resembling good faith.

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
EzraBlumenfield's review of the new Blind Guardian is odd - not because of the rating, which I agree with wholeheartedly, but even if he didn't listen to the previews, how the hell did he miss all the constant hype and press about it being the "orchestral" album?

That review is honestly a good example of what I mean. I was reading it and muttering "well, what did you expect?" to myself the entire time. It's perfectly acceptable to dislike the album on whatever basis, but he seemed to completely miss the point of it being marketed as an entirely orchestral album.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:16 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I'm starting to think that when people say "objectivity," what they really mean is "context." If your praises and complaints are based more on what thing a given album is doing as opposed to how well it is doing the thing, I won't take you quite as seriously. Not everything needs to be nice but I think reviews should always be done in something resembling good faith.

So even when I listen to something that I think is despicable, I should still write a mature review and actually note the things that make an album bad?

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:22 am 

Petrus_Steele wrote:

So even when I listen to something that I think is despicable, I should still write a mature review and actually note the things that make an album bad?

Yes. It's even highlighted in our rules that we don't allow reviews that are just mindless flaming/gushing. Just saying "shit shit sucks" over and over again is exactly as valueless as saying "this shit rules" over and over again. We want to know why it sucks or rules. Obviously I of all people have no issue with taking potshots or making jokes or anything like that, but you need to be able to explain why you feel the way you do. Again, it's a balancing act.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:08 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Petrus_Steele wrote:

Yes. It's even highlighted in our rules that we don't allow reviews that are just mindless flaming/gushing. Just saying "shit shit sucks" over and over again is exactly as valueless as saying "this shit rules" over and over again. We want to know why it sucks or rules. Obviously I of all people have no issue with taking potshots or making jokes or anything like that, but you need to be able to explain why you feel the way you do. Again, it's a balancing act.

Agreed. There were enough times when I came off not explaining why the music on an album was bad (for me) and therefore my reviews were rejected. At times immature. It would've been a waste of time for everyone. Of course, I'm not on that streak anymore. The balancing factor would also help people to, in some way, breakdown the negatives an album can contain. That's what I call a quality review and something that's worth reading because such writers elaborate on why they don't like this or that. I'm yet to write another review for something I hated and actually explain why.

I don't want to mention his name for the sake of privacy (or in some way derail the thread, I guess), but while he's coming off as quite controversal he has a lot of reviews which he elaborated on why he hates the albums he reviews.

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm 

2 things:

1. Another really fucking solid Teitenblood review!
2. I want to listen to the new Quiet Riot, but that review has me scared to. I basically agree that I haven't liked anything by the band since 1986, but I almost feel obligated....

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:00 pm 

Hey Gas, you've passed the thousandth mark, man! I was checking where I was with my scribblings number-wise last night, and guess who I noticed creeping from behind... you toiler! Cheers! Here's to another thousand organized contemplative evaluations!

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:44 pm 

bayern wrote:
Hey Gas, you've passed the thousandth mark, man! I was checking where I was with my scribblings number-wise last night, and guess who I noticed creeping from behind... you toiler! Cheers! Here's to another thousand organized contemplative evaluations!

Hear! Hear! Welcome to the quadruple digits club Gas, and definitely looking forward to what you'll be bringing to this upcoming challenge. :hail:

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:54 am 

bayern wrote:

hells_unicorn wrote:
Hear! Hear! Welcome to the quadruple digits club Gas, and definitely looking forward to what you'll be bringing to this upcoming challenge. :hail:

Thank you fellas both. Bayern, I don’t think you need to be worried about me creeping up behind you, since you already sailed past my total a while ago. However, I’ll do my best to catch up during the review challenge. Some other regulars should check out Derigin’s relevant thread below!

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:53 pm 

Thought you all might be interested in this. Did a quick chart of MA reviews by rating for the Discord chat, and came up with this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

This is current as of November 13 2019.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:28 pm 

I knew it, review scores are way too high! Just check out those percentage drop-offs once you start getting into the low 70s and then the 60s.

BANDS I FUCK WITH:

SweetLeaf95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:55 pm 

Hey man, that just means people are enjoying what they listen to!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:10 pm 

Tag yourself, I'm 86-90%.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:24 pm 

Although I wholeheartedly disagree with Morbert's assessment of the Agony Reigns EP, it's good to know that people read my reviews. :lol:

Last.fm
Listen to my band's new album!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:27 pm 

Sure was nice of Alkadikce to contribute that review of Brotherhood of the Snake with about a paragraph and a half that actually talks about Brotherhood of the Snake.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:31 pm 

Sure was nice of Alkadikce to contribute that review of Brotherhood of the Snake with about a paragraph and a half that actually talks about Brotherhood of the Snake.

I was just about to say the same thing. He makes the same number of points about it as The Formation of Damnation, and even more time introducing the band.

Last.fm
Listen to my band's new album!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 398, 399, 400, 401, 402