Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:48 am 

I contemplated tackling those Satan's Taint album for the next review challenge but I'm kinda glad auto got to them first.

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:26 am 

droneriot wrote:
Twisted_Psychology wrote:
The Thing That Should Not Be,

Also doesn't needs its first or second verse or chorus.

God, when I think of that song in my head, it's so utterly boring . That's meant to be Metallica at their peak. There's a strong argument for a creative decline from Master of Puppets onward, even though I personally like some of that album.

Those Titan of Creation reviews are a very mixed response. I'm struggling to get into Testament's latest output myself.

Empyreal's titles for his Testament reviews are funny, especially the Formation one. It's quite a statement.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:43 am 

I never checked out any other Testament albums after how awful those newer ones are. Couldn't get into them even a little and doubt I'd like anything else the band did. Just such generic shit that doesn't interest me at all.

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:42 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I never checked out any other Testament albums after how awful those newer ones are. Couldn't get into them even a little and doubt I'd like anything else the band did. Just such generic shit that doesn't interest me at all.

From my own perspective, I enjoy the Legacy, then parts of the next 3 album. I'd recommend the first album, but I'd imagine you couldn't care less. Good reviews by the way; though they were highly critical, I found them really funny, as well, in a laughing along kind of fashion.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:47 pm 

Congrats to Bayern not only for topping 1500 reviews but also for overtaking Noktorn as the 4th most prolific reviewer on the site. I feel like he started only recently, but I've got to say that his writing style (and his scoring!) have improved a lot since the beginning.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:26 pm 

For someone who's native language is a complete nightmare from a perspective of Germanic languages I'd definitely say he is a fluent English speaker by now.

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:51 pm 

:hail: Hats off to bayern for hitting such a high benchmark, I may have to step my game up a bit or he'll be nipping at my heels soon.

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Sat May 23, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:52 pm 

I remember when bayern got shit on here for rambling and using some broken English in his reviews and he ended up fixing it and making his reviews better. Good stuff. He's a good writer.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:20 pm 

Bayern gave Conception's Flow a relatively low score - that's good enough for me.

Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:57 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Bayern gave Conception's Flow a relatively low score - that's good enough for me.

Maybe but he gave a 85% to that. One of the worst albums I've ever heard!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpYsNUHAkEc

Cool milestone, he reviews interesting stuff too. Valuable asset to the Review Team for sure.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:11 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Congrats to Bayern not only for topping 1500 reviews but also for overtaking Noktorn as the 4th most prolific reviewer on the site. I feel like he started only recently, but I've got to say that his writing style (and his scoring!) have improved a lot since the beginning.

Ha... yes I have. Thanks man! Now what's left is to catch up with this NausikaDa... man, this guy has a most elaborate alias to pronounce and also spell... I wonder if it has any meaning...

Last edited by bayern on Sat May 23, 2020 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:15 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Maybe but he gave a 85% to that. One of the worst albums I've ever heard!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpYsNUHAkEc

Aftermath, Aftermath, Aftermath... I love these weirdos. Yes, this "Diethanasia" is shite, but the rest is oh my... or thereabouts.

Last edited by bayern on Sat May 23, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:36 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I remember when bayern got shit on here for rambling and using some broken English in his reviews and he ended up fixing it and making his reviews better. Good stuff. He's a good writer.

Man, I still make up new words, what this guy was complaining about some time ago; and still have the tendency to overwrite... just wait too see the new Kreator reviews that I have penned. Regarding the former, I have two fuckin' PhD's, for crying out loud; but of course I am entitled to add new words to the vocabulary. In fact, I'll make sure these words find their way into the dictionaries not far from now... Shakespeare invented a lot, so...

but yeah, these early reviews take quite a while to finish... just to think of the time I had on my hands to write these gigantic articles... this can never happen now.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:44 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Man, you're very vigilant when it comes to these numbers... I remember you caught me when I crossed the 1000 mark the year before. Well done. I think you should be paid a salary here as an... accountant? Or just a countant?

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:54 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
:hail: Hats off to bayern for hitting such a high benchmark, I may have to step my game up a bit or he'll be nipping at my heels soon.

Ha ha! Brother, you can totally chill out up there; no one's going to catch up with you, or with autothrall for that matter. I'm not even trying... cheers to another needful, constructive rude awakening.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:46 am 

bayern wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Ha... yes I have. Thanks man! Now what's left is to catch up with this NausikaDa... man, this guy has a most elaborate alias to pronounce and also spell... I wonder if it has any meaning...

Man, you're very vigilant when it comes to these numbers... I remember you caught me when I crossed the 1000 mark the year before. Well done. I think you should be paid a salary here as an... accountant? Or just a countant?

Dude, Nausika is a lady, but she doesn't seem to use the forums so I guess it's not obvious. But I'm happy to be a countant, it sounds like the easier job of the two.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:23 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Dude, Nausika is a lady

Oops... I had no idea. Wow, that's great, to have a girl racing with us, and not only but to be in the top three. Thumbs up.

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:49 am 

I read Hells_Unicorn's very first review; Freedom Call's Crystal Empire. It's really good read, though, commas must have been scarce back in '05.

Some of those 'Royal Seal' reviews reminded me of how much I disliked those albums upon their release. I've got a kind of soft spot for Risk, which was completely misguided/misjudged. And, Slayer's Diabolus isn't as bad as I reminder – not good either, mind you.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:33 am 

Wow, Kluseba's review for new Paradise Lost is half-assed. More time spent talking about the bonus tracks than anything else. We had blurbs like that a month before the album came out.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:36 am 

Did you really expect anything better from him, though? Quite a fool's errand, if you ask me.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:19 pm 

kluseba seems to have been undergoing the same thing dismember_marcin did. There's something about users who have been around for a huge amount of reviews but never quite got to scribe status who eventually just hit a point where they stop improving and just get shittier with each one. I can't remember if I actually gave it the retroactive boot or not, but if his review for the new Ozzy Osbourne album is up just go an marvel at how little effort he put into that one.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:30 pm 

kluseba? You mean Mr. Progressive Alternative Rock?
Now imagine Varg in prison. As he is trying to practice his tortured wails, an inmate comes us behind him and begins to rape him. As he is being raped Varg continues to sing. That is something like what these vocals sound like.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:03 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
kluseba seems to have been undergoing the same thing dismember_marcin did. There's something about users who have been around for a huge amount of reviews but never quite got to scribe status who eventually just hit a point where they stop improving and just get shittier with each one. I can't remember if I actually gave it the retroactive boot or not, but if his review for the new Ozzy Osbourne album is up just go an marvel at how little effort he put into that one.

Ick. Please put me down if this ever happens to me.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:05 pm 

The first two written reviews for Obsidian aren't really good either. The first review looks rushed and the second review has this one line that says: Then you'd progress to songs like 'The Devil Embraced', 'Forsaken' and 'Serenity' that'd invoke a quick realization of how seamless the transition from those uptempo to symphonic and momentary funeral doom sections are..

??? :confused: ???

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:04 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
kluseba? You mean Mr. Progressive Alternative Rock?

Your review of Coma of Souls was a million miles off. I thought, 'a recipe for dip' would have made more sense. How did you come up with that argument? That's the intriguing part. I'd go more with your Pantera, VDoP, as the genuine '90s fuck-ups in yr 'fuck-ups' mini series.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:19 pm 

So did deathmetal69_ just wait thirteen years before uploading that Tout le Monde review or have they just been that pissed about it the entire time? I still think it's a shit version too but holy moly.

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:55 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
So did deathmetal69_ just wait thirteen years before uploading that Tout le Monde review or have they just been that pissed about it the entire time? I still think it's a shit version too but holy moly.

I found it a rather odd choice. He wasn't out of nappies when U.A. came out. Could understand if it was the first song/album he heard. He claims, 'I love Megadeth and I love you Dave Mustaine,' but chooses a song which was probably recycled to promote the album to a section of the fanbase. Personally, I thought the recycling was a complete waste of time. Whenever I revisit that album, that song is an immediate skip.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:35 pm 

Metal_Warspite wrote:
Your review of Coma of Souls was a million miles off. I thought, 'a recipe for dip' would have made more sense. How did you come up with that argument? That's the intriguing part. I'd go more with your Pantera, VDoP, as the genuine '90s fuck-ups in yr 'fuck-ups' mini series.

Looking back, that review is super shit, you're right. I've actually been thinking of going back and re-writing a lot of those old reviews of mine or just deleting them outright. My opinions on those albums haven't changed much, I just know how to write about things now without having to be an edgelord to make my point.
Now imagine Varg in prison. As he is trying to practice his tortured wails, an inmate comes us behind him and begins to rape him. As he is being raped Varg continues to sing. That is something like what these vocals sound like.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:19 pm 

Metal_Warspite wrote:
I read Hells_Unicorn's very first review; Freedom Call's Crystal Empire. It's really good read, though, commas must have been scarce back in '05.

Thank you. Believe it or not, what you read was my second review on the site, my first was Stairway To Fairyland which I wrote the day before. What you read is actually a 2018 rewrite of my original review, and part of the reason for the lack of commas is that I tried to salvage as much of the original review as I could and simultaneously adapt it to a format that is more acceptable by today's site standards. The original version of both reviews was an overlong, checklist-styled track-by-track format that had been openly discouraged on the site's rules for review at least as far back as 2007. The reason why my rewritten Stairway To Fairyland review appears later than 2005 is because I rewrote it before the current version of the site and you had to completely delete your old material in those days. There is still a substantial amount of material that I wrote in 2005 and early 2006 that was subsequently nuked when the site's standards changed that I still need to rewrite, and because of my nostalgia for the old days, I'm keeping the reviews up as edits so that they'll appear on the date they were originally submitted and I'm attaching a tag at the end listing the date of the rewrite.

Quote:
Some of those 'Royal Seal' reviews reminded me of how much I disliked those albums upon their release. I've got a kind of soft spot for Risk, which was completely misguided/misjudged. And, Slayer's Diabolus isn't as bad as I reminder – not good either, mind you.

My Royal Seal series was basically an attempt at incorporating a more humorous approach to trashing albums that I didn't particularly care for, and over recent years I've gotten some complaints of the title being homophobic, which was never the intent of that series. I have been and will continue to be a rabid South Park fan, and the title of the series was inspired by one of my favorite episodes of the series (an old season 3 episode where Cartman tried to re-fight the U.S. Civil War so that the Confederacy would prevail) and is meant as an ironic dig at the pseudo-tough guy posturing that was common in a lot of groove metal and mid-90s groove/thrash and death 'n' roll albums.

I'm still not a big fan of either Risk or Diabolus, but I don't really have any interest in revisiting those albums any time soon so I can't say that my opinion on them has moderated any with the passage of time.

My reviews.

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:53 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Metal_Warspite wrote:

Looking back, that review is super shit, you're right. I've actually been thinking of going back and re-writing a lot of those old reviews of mine or just deleting them outright. My opinions on those albums haven't changed much, I just know how to write about things now without having to be an edgelord to make my point.

I have to also point out that it's actually a good flowing read, as well. Like, it's grammatically fine, detailed, and doesn't get boring. I actually like the completely unexpected take on the album; I just don't think it's an album which riffs off of Metallica.

I'm very skeptical about reviews being changed or removed; they're a part of the sites history.

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:44 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Thank you. Believe it or not, what you read was my second review on the site, my first was Stairway To Fairyland which I wrote the day before. What you read is actually a 2018 rewrite of my original review, and part of the reason for the lack of commas is that I tried to salvage as much of the original review as I could and simultaneously adapt it to a format that is more acceptable by today's site standards.

A part of site history, being changed. I think that's a shame, personally. Any site standard change, coming into effect, shouldn't include reviews prior to the change, right? It's down to personal choice to edit one's own review?

hells_unicorn wrote:
My Royal Seal series was basically an attempt at incorporating a more humorous approach to trashing albums that I didn't particularly care for, and over recent years I've gotten some complaints of the title being homophobic, which was never the intent of that series.

I know South Park, but didn't recognise the reference, however, it clearly read as something humorous, rather than being bigoted. Some people want to be offended. In actual fact, it's usually the case that the creators are the least bigoted, while the biggest detractors are the closet bigots. They just don't get the irony.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:45 pm 

Metal_Warspite wrote:
A part of site history, being changed. I think that's a shame, personally. Any site standard change, coming into effect, shouldn't include reviews prior to the change, right? It's down to personal choice to edit one's own review?

This site was kind of a wild west situation between 2002 when it was opened and 2006. Most of the changes in review standards that came in afterward were beneficial to the site so I've generally agreed with them. My opinions on the albums that I have updated reviews for didn't really change, so I kept the same basic theme when I did the rewrites, I just fixed formatting and grammar issues that the older versions had and touched them up a bit with some more descriptive elements.

Quote:
I know South Park, but didn't recognise the reference, however, it clearly read as something humorous, rather than being bigoted. Some people want to be offended. In actual fact, it's usually the case that the creators are the least bigoted, while the biggest detractors are the closet bigots. They just don't get the irony.

Thank for your understanding, I try to keep my humor of at least a semi-good nature, though I did have something of a penchant for toilet humor during the late 2000s that got a little raw at times. The South Park reference is to episode 14 of season three, titled "The Red Badge Of Gayness", hence the title "The Royal Seal Of Gayness".

My reviews.

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:31 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Thank for your understanding, I try to keep my humor of at least a semi-good nature, though I did have something of a penchant for toilet humor during the late 2000s that got a little raw at times. The South Park reference is to episode 14 of season three, titled "The Red Badge Of Gayness", hence the title "The Royal Seal Of Gayness".

Checking the ep. I know it. I'm often referencing ep. 'Make Love, Not War,' to my kids, coz they're always on x-box before dinner, and when they get the shout, they immediately need the toilet. Funnily enough, one of them watched Ricky & Morty, and I'll be introducing them to South Park as they're now old enough.

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:41 pm 

Chairthrower reviews Fostermother, and I can't help but think – what kind of name is that for a band? Rather odd. Some similarities to AiC, Sabbath an Soundgarden mentioned, which does sound interesting, though.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:13 am 

Good ole Fostermum...I'd been meaning to write something up in its (social) regard, but felt the need to woolgather...Although, TP had already nailed its core essence, felt imperial (s)urge to join the fray. So it looks like that MA VRC (no PMRC) is next week! Great, as I can now relax and gather forces - as to catch up on some rather winsome doom/stoner metal/rock/MA approved shni(t)zle.

Also, need to acquire (own) laptop w/ mp3 player so I can imbibe tunes better, not hafta write them in a rushed, computer line-up free-for-all i.e. fast-like, in a stream-of-consciousness mad dash to the front...like a grunt! (Ya dig?!)

*Hey everyone, dig the latest by Bat Eater! (Love the lyrix to Let's Eat Bat Soup...as it's no "Rat Bat Blue", yo!)

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/B ... ine/851997

dfkman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:19 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

I refuse to believe his Ordinary Man review isn't sarcastic/trolling. Read that last paragraph.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:36 am 

What kinda World do we live in when he ascribes an 80% to OO's Ordinary Man, yet a (tepid as fuck) 70% to Ambush's latest?!?

Aarg the part where he says the drums are disappointing and "always the same"...gets to me, as that what Ambush does: lay down boxy as Hell rhythms in order to waylay its kickass signature sound, largely delimitated by the twin guitts and vox...Even the bass shines on Infidel; I don't know what he has against the Swedes but when you read the review, you'd expect him to rate it at least an 80%...

I was so excited when I saw (yet) another A-bush Infidel review posted on board - however, my jaw dropped and hit the floor, unceremoniously, whence spotting that lukewarm score...Would someone please sandwich his review, alongside mine, with more appropriate write-up/score (i.e. a request, of you will!).

Sure, people are allowed their (wrong) opinions...but this Devil's advocacy thing gets/slays me goat!

(then again, we need a rabble rouser on board...always!)

*Despondence aside, here is album cover of the month (inspect it closely!):

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/T ... ain/852230

Haha!

Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:39 pm 

Shit on Kluseba all you want, but his opinions while aggressively annoying aren't his main problem lol. A 70% isn't a bad score either, you're the opposite with all your 90% plus to often generic modern heavy metal to be honest.

Review challenge soon, y'all be ready!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 421, 422, 423, 424, 425