Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:02 pm 

Just read the new review for Napalm Death's Scum and I liked that he brought up the fact that the B side is considered to be inferior to the A side while the B side sounds just like FETO which is almost always considered to be the better of the 2 albums. At least amongst metal fans that is. I've never been able to wrap my head around that line of thinking.

untappd: patrick_g

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:54 am 

Derigin wrote:

Saw this and freaked, because my name's Edmund too. And I don't have access to Twitter to check what I did wrong :lol: But got enough through context that I'm relieved now.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:59 am 

Uff, a serious review about Bulldozer, by no less than Felix 1666. In retrospect I may have been a bit too enthusiastic in my review, but there's no way Desert!'s guitar line is 'moronic', above all. Founding a good 70% of your Bulldozer review on criticism about lyrics seems more a misconception to me...

MARK9000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:39 pm 

Isn't it weird how there are 100% reviews for Dawn's "Slaughtersun" and Testament's "Souls of Black" by users... slaughtersun97 and Testament1990 respectively?

Gunslinger21, on playing black metal at a lower bitrate, wrote:
Mate, if you're not playing your BM in 8-bit then you are just a fucking poser. Sorry.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:08 pm 

MARK9000 wrote:
Isn't it weird how there are 100% reviews for Dawn's "Slaughtersun" and Testament's "Souls of Black" by users... slaughtersun97 and Testament1990 respectively?

Would be weird if it was 0% reviews.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:31 pm 

BastardHead's title for his old review of Oracles by Fleshgod Apocalypse got a stiff chortle out of me.

Quote:
If this album had a dick, I'd suck it

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:54 pm 

I'm generally not one to adore vulgar humour, but BH pulls it off for the most part. Diarrhea Girl is certainly a memorable yarn.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:45 pm 

I deeply regret almost every single scatological joke/tale I've told over the years.

Well aware that I did a "pull my finger" joke irl no less than an hour ago.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:42 pm 

BH's toilet humor and ridiculous stories are what make the man. I'm inclined to say his novel about going to Texas for a wedding was the best story he ever told just for how long and insane it gets, but I've always been partial to the tale of the girl he met at a Halloween party whose boyfriend died after he went crazy on K2, and he followed that up with how he regaled a group of people at a Denny's with that story, only for one of the people in the audience to be the dead boyfriend's sister.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:27 pm 

Subrick wrote:
BH's toilet humor and ridiculous stories are what make the man. I'm inclined to say his novel about going to Texas for a wedding was the best story he ever told just for how long and insane it gets, but I've always been partial to the tale of the girl he met at a Halloween party whose boyfriend died after he went crazy on K2, and he followed that up with how he regaled a group of people at a Denny's with that story, only for one of the people in the audience to be the dead boyfriend's sister.

What.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:54 am 

So, two things about Annable Court's recent review for Corrosion of Conformity's Blind:

1) I'm all for more positive reviews for that album, but anyone else think the 70% score is a bit low for how much praise its given there? The only complaint seems to be that it's a bit too long for its own good, and fair enough, but everything else seems on par with a score at least on the 80% range.

2) What's up with highlighting sentences? It's not necessary.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:52 am 

He always does that and I don't really understand why either. I figure it's just some stylistic choice he makes but I certainly don't understand it.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:41 pm 

Anyone else noticed that the last 5 Darkthrone albums all have an average of 77%? I thought it was kinda funny.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:13 pm 

I'm sorry but highlighting sentences just encourages me to read those parts and gloss over everything else. Though even that gets muddled with those reviews since they have a tendency to just highlight sound descriptors or contextual stuff than any particular point of opinion.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:45 pm 

Yeah I find it incredibly distracting and superfluous. What constitutes getting highlighted and what doesn't? I read the Amon Amarth review and while the review itself is fine, there's absolutely no added benefit with the bold text.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:01 pm 

The bold parts are one of the least necessary things I ever read here, probably. Too many, and sometimes just cutting sentences in half.

As for the rating, it isn't a new thing either. A lot of his reviews have 60-70% scores, and in some of them them you can't even understand why since there are no real flaws pointed out, as in the recent one for At the Heart of Winter.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:34 pm 

Just noticing this now, but how did Eddy Sackbauer get a review up for Putrid Offal's latest on 10th September? The release date was the 11th...

On a very positive note, who's doing the Diamhea Reviews Challenge (virgin week)? The thread just opened up recently on the reviews forum :hyper:

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:22 pm 

@ The Burning Of Sodom, thanks for your comment on my Bulldozer review. Well, I still think that the line is moronic, but maybe I should have used words like meaningless or feeble... anyway, different opinions make things interesting (but I also appreciate to see that our ratings for Grip Inc.'s farewell album are pretty close to each other...)

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:51 am 

Of course! My sensitive spaghetti-filled Italian soul was hurt, but that's part of the game :-D if that's what you meant, then by all means write it. Sincerity above everything.
Luckily Grip Inc. never (more or less) fail to make everyone agree. :beer:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:10 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
What's up with highlighting sentences? It's not necessary.

It's rather annoying. I'm going through his Dark Angel review and the guy makes some questionable statements there, too. The first few paragraphs would make a little more sense if he'd describe, say, Pleasure to Kill and then there's this:
Quote:
The music as a whole fosters a sort of anarchy at its core too violent in spirit and musical momentum to be merely labeled thrash. The songs overflow with a brutal rage that feels like they're barely being contained within their frames. They're wild bouts of the most furious thrash, pushing the genre to its very limits before it spills into a more extreme style (which wouldn't have had a name back then). They sometimes feel like overly distorted and out-of-control punk, possibly even early grindcore, as the tracks go into those savage tantrums of abrupt rock noise with chunky distortion over drum clinics bringing about that unruly temperament to the record. The song titles and lyrics, coupled with the album cover art, are also obviously of a more sinister variety if compared to common thrash.

:confused:

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:28 pm 

Dark Angel has absolutely nothing in common with grindcore and nobody has ever connected them with that style during the last 35 years. Darkness Descends is 100% thrash and it's pretty strange to say that the songs are too brutal to be just thrash. The early outputs of Kreator, Destruction and so on were on the same level of brutality and so I guess only people who think that Master of Puppets defined the only correct thrash metal degree of harshness can speak about grindcore when it comes to "Black Prophecies" and the other tracks. Already the Hell Awaits inspired intro of the opener should indicate the style Dark Angel stood for.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:33 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... itten/2394

I could not help but laugh at how ridiculous this review is. It's such a perfect time capsule of that early/mid-2000s gatekeeping mindset that so many internet metal fans had. The word "modern" is said 8 times in this, including the title. It reeks of "How DARE that mainstream fucker Dave Grohl invade metal!?". I dare even use the "e" word to describe this: Elitist.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:17 pm 

Subrick wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Probot/Probot/36235/GrimAndFrostbitten/2394

I could not help but laugh at how ridiculous this review is. It's such a perfect time capsule of that early/mid-2000s gatekeeping mindset that so many internet metal fans had. The word "modern" is said 8 times in this, including the title. It reeks of "How DARE that mainstream fucker Dave Grohl invade metal!?". I dare even use the "e" word to describe this: Elitist.

The review itself is kinda cringe-inducing, and a bit scatterbrained at times, but overall I concur with Grim's assessment of the album. It's essentially a pile of fecal matter that's been sugared over with a bunch of credible metal vocalists. It's not that Dave Grohl is prohibited from recording a metal album, it's more that he sucks at writing in the genre and the album was given a lot of undeserved press due to his involvement in it.

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:53 am 

Subrick wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Probot/Probot/36235/GrimAndFrostbitten/2394

A more significant problem IMO is that this descriptor "modern" does all the heavy lifting; there's only a bit of namedropping, but that's way too little in terms of backing up the value assessment.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:55 am 

Exceptional Black Halo review by Jophelerx. Does the album justice and is very well-written in its own right.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:15 pm 

Thanks a lot man! Been wanting to write one for a while as it's one of my favorite albums, just hadn't gotten around to it. Glad you enjoyed it!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

NoSoup4you22
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:16 am 

Goddamn I miss the Kamelot that made The Black Halo... One of the top 3 metal albums ever IMO. I wonder if its influence sort of killed off the upbeat 2000s brand of power metal overall.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:00 am 

I think it was a contributor at the very least. I had been planning a writeup for the 15th anniversary but the date ended up passing me by. Such a fantastic album.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:01 am 

Yeah Ghost Opera was okay but then Poetry for the Poisoned was just super weak... haven't really been able to get into Karevik-fronted Kamelot either, though he seems like a solid vocalist (no Khan, but he can't really be blamed for that). A damn shame for sure.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:32 am 

Yeah good review of TBH, Jophelerx.

New Kamelot is just depressing for how much they turned into a generic Nuclear Blast pop band. Parts of Haven sounded superficially like the old shit, but the most recent one was straight up a transformation into a glossy goth-pop act... not that there'd be anything wrong with that if the writing was good, but alas.

The Black Halo is hard to write about because they really just changed everything up on that one, going for more of a dark, heavy sound with new layers upon layers, but also making things more streamlined at the same time. It's just one of those really well-written albums where everything feels like it's in the right place. Tons of dynamic and drama, and the songs have never gotten old. I do think it had some effect on power metal's trajectory away from strictly double-bass happy stuff and into more of a contemporary, rockish sound - that, Masterplan's debut and Edguy's Hellfire Club all played parts.

NoSoup4you22
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:36 am 

Regarding colin040's review of Domestic Booty... I wonder if he's heard any newer Anthem, because damn Akio is a great guitarist. Perfect blend of raw 80s style and prog nerd precision. Not to mention Venom Strike was a fan favorite song...

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:05 am 

NoSoup4you22 wrote:
Regarding colin040's review of Domestic Booty... I wonder if he's heard any newer Anthem, because damn Akio is a great guitarist. Perfect blend of raw 80s style and prog nerd precision. Not to mention Venom Strike was a fan favorite song...

I have heard plenty of their post-breakup stuff and don't like what I've heard at all. Anyway, I'm planning on reviewing Tightrope, Bound to Break and Gypsy Ways too, which I all am quite fond of. :)

NoSoup4you22
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:23 am 

colin040 wrote:
NoSoup4you22 wrote:

I have heard plenty of their post-breakup stuff and don't like what I've heard at all. Anyway, I'm planning on reviewing Tightrope, Bound to Break and Gypsy Ways too, which I all am quite fond of. :)

There's a lot of filler songs throughout their discography, but I thought Absolute World was maybe their best or second-best album behind Hunting Time.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:36 am 

NoSoup4you22 wrote:
colin040 wrote:
NoSoup4you22 wrote:

There's a lot of filler songs throughout their discography, but I thought Absolute World was maybe their best or second-best album behind Hunting Time.

I really wanted to like their modern stuff, but that album you just mentioned, as well as some others that I've heard, just do nothing to me.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:48 pm 

Zeingard did a fantastic teardown of Intronaut a few years back: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Intronaut/The_Direction_of_Last_Things/534425/

I like how he asked "what is the actual goal of this music" because it really is that sort of safe inane corporate metal made to please any audience while playing to the notion of how "you can be metal while also being a virtuoso".

Not to deny a great takedown its terror, I liked how meandering the band was because it wasn't pushing a point that far home or presuming to drive a genre to some sort of fruition. I know, we can all get wrapped up in the ideas of how things can keep the envelope opening but Intronaut seemed like an enjoyable listen without all the pretense in spite of its obvious pretense when making such meandering nothings that they called songs.

I listened to the band in a bottle, as an unusual offshoot that kept circling my now-crushed car's CD player, not as a hallmark of my favorite music going sour. Still, that airing of grievances was nothing but ripe because it tore into how Spinal Tap metal bands can become when they don't really care about where they're going or what they're making, only latching onto trends. And yeah, Spinal Tap was more entertaining.

If Intronaut was as popular as Huey Lewis and the News, I'd get mad too, but enjoying when the world got into its inanity also wouldn't have me hacking up anyone either.

Great kill zeingard. At the end of the day it was a fantastic evisceration.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:50 am 

I like to chirp at hells for his boomer takes on the 90s and all, but his review for Lord Almighty's Wither is fantastic. It doesn't stand out as some grand statement or any particular achievement in MA reviews, in the grand scheme of things it's "just another hells review" from an extremely prolific writer, but it flawlessly covers every single area that could possibly be covered, from the context of the scene's history and its current trends, to the nitty gritty of a handful of individual songs themselves. There is not one single thing I could add to it and that to me is the mark of a writer who knows what the fuck he's talking about.

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:27 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Glad to see that orphy is back into reviewing, he's always been solid.

Thanks! I'm basically just trying to keep myself occupied since I've been unemployed almost all year due to the pandemic. My rule of thumb is I'll review something if I have a reaction to it (usually positive), so I'll just think of what things are worth pointing out. Can you believe I just hit 100 reviews on this site?

Sweetie wrote:
Yeah, that Crimson Dawn review was solid! Very similar to my take on it.

Thanks as well! Everyone in that band are good friends of mine, but regardless, they are such a killer band.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:30 pm 

orphy wrote:
Can you believe I just hit 100 reviews on this site?

Congratulations on that! I was hoping on reaching a 100 before the end of the year, but I don't think I'll reach that.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:58 pm 

Fellow Eternal Champ (not "chimp" or "chump") fans, do yourselves a favour and dig the sick Ravening Iron review at www.angrymetalguy.com, by fellow man of capital letters, STEEL DRUHM.

Duly, it puts ours to shame (but not quite flame, so great work, lads!).

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:15 pm 

The new Reign in Blood review is not bad, but the "goat headed Satan" does not "perform a Nazi salute". He raises the left arm - that's the wrong one. Or Adolf tried something new in hell, who knows?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 435, 436, 437, 438, 439  Next