Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:19 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
I know it would be a difficult thing to achieve on this site, but I would like to make the following suggestion for the next review challenge:

an album (or more?) is picked by a mod, but the name of the band or the title of the release is not revealed to the participants.
It would be distributed to the writers and these would then have to write about it.
The writings would be collected and only be posted at the last day or after a deadline.

There should actually be enough weird music out there that not everyone in the forums would be familiar with.

Discuss ... maybe?

So it's kinda like one of those surprise mystery reviews? Cause it sounds like we open up a package full of albums to review and then they get published at some certain date. That sounds like a more broad and simple version of Secret Satan. Can you elaborate more on how this works? I'm not sure how it exactly works. :scratch:

Check out my reviews

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:22 pm 

naww u guyz :love:

Feel free to use your moddly powers to fix my user name btw BH. Hate it lol.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:45 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Feel free to use your moddly powers to fix my user name btw BH. Hate it lol.

If you send Hellblazer a PM he will change it. That's how I went from Sweatleaf95 to Sweetie.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:48 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... G06/953525

DanielG06 wrote:
Ah, Deathcrush. The album that every 16 year old metalhead girl, or every 35 year old overweight unshaven metalhead man, praises to the death.

I understand that Deathcrush isn't for everyone, but that generalization is kinda absurd. I mean, I'm a 17-year-old male metalhead who actually enjoys most of Mayhem's albums, so the fact that people still have these stupid stereotypes is just discouraging.

Check out my reviews

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:10 pm 

Sweetie wrote:
If you send Hellblazer a PM he will change it. That's how I went from Sweatleaf95 to Sweetie.

Uh, I always thought it was definitive, nice to know. I've never been the most fervent Dark Angel fan and, since some time ago, I've been thinking of switching to something more concise (and perhaps, more recognizable). But in the meantime, TBoS still holds well as my favourite song by them, so there's no hurry I guess...

Slater922 wrote:
... the fact that people still have these stupid stereotypes is just discouraging.

I mean, doesn't the "Euronymous barely knew how to plug his guitar into an amp" also qualify as a stereotype?

(coming from a non-musician and non-blackster, so I may be wrong and he was actually this bad?)

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:20 pm 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
... the fact that people still have these stupid stereotypes is just discouraging.

I mean, doesn't the "Euronymous barely knew how to plug his guitar into an amp" also qualify as a stereotype?

(coming from a non-musician and non-blackster, so I may be wrong and he was actually this bad?)

I wouldn't consider Euronymous's lack of knowledge of amps as much of a stereotype, just more of a trivial fact.

Check out my reviews

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:26 pm 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Sweetie wrote:

Uh, I always thought it was definitive, nice to know. I've never been the most fervent Dark Angel fan and, since some time ago, I've been thinking of switching to something more concise (and perhaps, more recognizable).

Felt. I changed mine because A) having a number in your name is super uncool, and B) Sabbath song aside, it sorta makes me look like a pothead (not that there's anything WRONG with that, just isn't me). So I just went with Sweetie. Still close enough that everyone knows it's still me, and that's just sorta the nickname I've grown into for these parts. It's kinda funny.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:38 am 

Sweetie wrote:
TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Sweetie wrote:

Uh, I always thought it was definitive, nice to know. I've never been the most fervent Dark Angel fan and, since some time ago, I've been thinking of switching to something more concise (and perhaps, more recognizable).

Felt. I changed mine because A) having a number in your name is super uncool, and B) Sabbath song aside, it sorta makes me look like a pothead (not that there's anything WRONG with that, just isn't me). So I just went with Sweetie. Still close enough that everyone knows it's still me, and that's just sorta the nickname I've grown into for these parts. It's kinda funny.

I guess that's the other issue, if I was going to put in the effort to change it I'd change it something entirely different and a lot more "me" (This name was a spur of the moment play off a friend's name he used when playing Command and Conquer, so really isn't mine at all), but it'd also make me entirely unrecognisable to anyone who knows me haha.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:32 am 

Sweetie wrote:
TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Sweetie wrote:

Always could've just put in your sig something like, "I'm not a pothead, I'm just a Sabbath fan." :lol:

Jokes aside, I think on a metal site such as this one, almost literally 100% of the user base would associate that screen name with being a fan of Sabbath and not assuming one way or the other if you like pot.

It's like if someone made their screen name "Master of Puppets" they wouldn't have to worry about people here thinking he's into ventriloquism, you know? :lol:

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:02 pm 

Shit! It looks like that P-Metal review you've been clamouring for, Metantoine, might have to wait, along with all the rest, as just had metal-borne surgery yesterday on my left wrist (big consolation!) and the only thing I'm in mood for, these days. is watching the remainder of my Chef GR Kitchen Nightmares, in addition to "The Boys" (featuring likes of Homelander, A-Train, Starlight and all them fruity, over-the-top "Soops"...), whilst puffing innumerable (pre-rolled) Js.

Not only is it a pain to type with one hand - you should see the crazy finger acrobatics I'm pulling off - but I feel drained, creativity-wyze; however, have been keeping busy here at MA submitted (and getting approved) more band submits than usual.

Chairs frewres!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:09 pm 

Demon Fang's Firewind review series has been pretty nifty to see. I may have run through these albums proper myself sometime.

Demon Fang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:32 pm 

Yo, thank you for the comment, Twisted Psychology!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:11 am 

So I've been going through the two Mefitis reviews for Offscourings and while they're both good reads, there's one statement made by Robotiq that I don't quite get.

Quote:
The unfortunate truth is that extreme metal lost its edge many years ago. Mefitis knows that, and has found another way to express extremity.

:confused:

robotiq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:20 pm 

I just edited it and removed it.
I know what I mean to say there, but the reader doesn't. The means it is probably too complex to get across in a single line - so it is probably better left out. ('Kill your darlings' and all that.)

Are you going to review "Offscourings" Colin? That album needs a few more reviews I think, given how good it is.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:56 pm 

Yeah, I'm working on a review and although I've earlier struggled to get my points across, I've managed to make some decent progress with it today. I think I find it harder to write for this one because the influences aren't quite as obvious, even though this certainly sounds like the work of the same band.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:07 am 

Slater922 wrote:
oneyoudontknow wrote:
I know it would be a difficult thing to achieve on this site, but I would like to make the following suggestion for the next review challenge:

an album (or more?) is picked by a mod, but the name of the band or the title of the release is not revealed to the participants.
It would be distributed to the writers and these would then have to write about it.
The writings would be collected and only be posted at the last day or after a deadline.

There should actually be enough weird music out there that not everyone in the forums would be familiar with.

Discuss ... maybe?

So it's kinda like one of those surprise mystery reviews? Cause it sounds like we open up a package full of albums to review and then they get published at some certain date. That sounds like a more broad and simple version of Secret Satan. Can you elaborate more on how this works? I'm not sure how it exactly works. :scratch:

Exactly, you would not know you are getting and have to deal with it. In terms of the Secret Satan you are told which band that is, but in this case you would have nothing at all. Maybe one, maybe two .. or even three releases, it certainly depends on the amount of interest. Towards the end of the review challenge all post the reviews at the proper release entry.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
http://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com/index.php/wiki/A_dead_spot_of_light
Some analysis on the metal scene (data taken from the Metal Archives):
http://oneyoudontknow.com

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:01 am 

Man for such a confusingly worded idea it's also rather boring. About as german an idea as possible!

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:02 am 

Reign in Blood slowly creeping up on Penis Metal. Can I kindly suggest to some new reviewers to give that one a write up, please and thanks.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:14 pm 

caspian wrote:
Reign in Blood slowly creeping up on Penis Metal. Can I kindly suggest to some new reviewers to give that one a write up, please and thanks.

Now we're talking about real priorities.

By the way, I fully realized just now that Hades Archer aren't active anymore. We're gonna keep it on top of the leaderboard, they deserve it!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:26 pm 

I remember when one of the band members came on here and bitched about that joke. Funny to see it all taken so seriously.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:20 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I remember when one of the band members came on here and bitched about that joke. Funny to see it all taken so seriously.

The one from the Penis Metal album? And did you save a copy of that?

Check out my reviews

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:52 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Yep. And no, it's just buried somewhere way back in this thread.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:52 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Yep. And no, it's just buried somewhere way back in this thread.

Well do you remember what thread it was from? Because I plan on digging it up.

Check out my reviews

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:47 pm 

Not sure about a forum post, but a dude allegedly from the band actually flagged a report on the artist page. https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/507532
Glen Benton had a Bigfoot sighting in Florida

This has been debunked. He actually just saw Erik Rutan.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:12 am 

That might have actually been it, yeah.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:15 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Not sure about a forum post, but a dude allegedly from the band actually flagged a report on the artist page. https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/507532

This man apparently doesn't like his hilariously-titled EP gaining huge attention on this site.

Quote:
We think that Metal Archives still works seriously in it webpage, your clown day celebration by jekrs congregation, ain't part of our culture.

Seriously? If my EP was getting lots of attention on MA, I'd be pretty happy.

Check out my reviews

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:36 am 

I mean yeah, you'd have to be pretty fucking dense and/or edgy to name your release Penis Metal and not expect people to make jokes or heckle you. I always had the idea that if Hades Archer ever played in the States that I'd gather a couple of my concert buds and start group chanting "PEE-NIS ME-TAL!" during the show just to see how the band would react.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:37 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
I always had the idea that if Hades Archer ever played in the States that I'd gather a couple of my concert buds and start group chanting "PEE-NIS ME-TAL!" during the show just to see how the band would react.

Just gimme the time and place!

TheBurningOfSodom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:34 pm 

I swear I'd have never expected somebody to tackle Agoraphobic Nosebleed in such a detailed way, huge kudos to Hellbent. Altered States of America is a puzzling album, but based on his review I'm convinced he's most likely the only one who got it.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:44 pm 

Sweetie wrote:
Wilytank wrote:
I always had the idea that if Hades Archer ever played in the States that I'd gather a couple of my concert buds and start group chanting "PEE-NIS ME-TAL!" during the show just to see how the band would react.

Just gimme the time and place!

Band's split up, unfortunately. A lost opportunity.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:48 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... G06/953525

The review was good, and I am pumped to see Daniel take on all of the Iron Maiden albums!

Check out my reviews

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:24 am 

I love that there's a brain out there which would make something called Penis Metal and not be able to remotely comprehend that it could be funny.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:22 pm 

Still Not Black Enough needed some love again, but Sweetie, you missed talking about "One Tribe"! That's the best thing on it, and it's a bonus track! I still don't know what Blackie was thinking by not putting that on the original album.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:18 am 

Ah, yeah, I didn't go off of the version with that one. SNBE is confusing because there are multiple versions with different tracks included in the actual release and sometimes in different orders. Glad you like that one, though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 446, 447, 448, 449, 450