Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:40 am 

Ah, summer holiday sounds like a good time for a Sabbath review, might re-read a few chapters of their bio and have a look at one of the early ones again.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:42 am 

That new Morbid Visions review is...quite something.

Quote:
Max Cavalera vocally is very much more on the side of early black / death metal, with the echo effect enhancing more of those black metal characteristics, but it’s clear at this time he was not much of a singer, coming off key

A growler that sounds off key? Hmm? :confused:

Quote:
Even with some impressive speedy and hectic guitar playing, Max and Jairo T. are overall particularly sloppy, missing notes in both the main riffing and solos.

Could anyone confirm this? To my knowledge, Sepultura prior to Andreas Kisser sounded far less tight and whatnot, but I've never heard of the guys missing notes.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:46 am 

colin040 wrote:
Quote:
Even with some impressive speedy and hectic guitar playing, Max and Jairo T. are overall particularly sloppy, missing notes in both the main riffing and solos.

Could anyone confirm this? To my knowledge, Sepultura prior to Andreas Kisser sounded far less tight and whatnot, but I've never heard of the guys missing notes.

Well even if that was the case, MV is an amateur black/death/speed record from 1986, so some sloppiness could be expected. To me, though, that just adds to the raging atmosphere of the album. :-D

MetalManiaCometh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:43 am 

colin040 wrote:

Even though growling isn’t necessarily what people consider traditional singing, I think the singer could still be off or on key with that type style. Max’s approach isn’t refined clearly and I believe there’s awkward moments here and there. I will say it’s possible that the production could be effecting my view point here regarding Max’s vocals. I can understand why some find enjoyment in this performance though, I personally don’t.

colin040 wrote:

To my ears I hear some notes being missed, usually it’s during some of those really fast riffing sections. I could be wrong but I get the same general feeling every time I listen to the album.

Last edited by MetalManiaCometh on Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:59 am 

MetalManiaCometh wrote:
Even though growling isn’t necessarily what people consider traditional singing, I think the singer could still be off or on key with that type style.

You think? Either the vocals are off key, or they're not. Since I've never heard of growling ''off key'' before, you're probably wrong.

MetalManiaCometh wrote:
Max’s approach isn’t refined clearly and I believe there’s awkward moments here and there. I will say it’s possible that the production could be effecting my view point here regarding Max’s vocals. I can understand why some find enjoyment in this performance though, I personally don’t.

But that's another thing and I partially agree with you here.

MetalManiaCometh wrote:
To my ears I hear some notes being missed, usually it’s during some of those really fast riffing sections. I could be wrong but I get the same general feeling every time I listen to the album.

I wouldn't mind reading about this, as long as you had given clear examples and elaborated on this...but instead it sounds like you were just talking out of your ass, buddy. :p

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:59 pm 

MetalManiaCometh wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Even though growling isn’t necessarily what people consider traditional singing, I think the singer could still be off or on key with that type style. Max’s approach isn’t refined clearly and I believe there’s awkward moments here and there. I will say it’s possible that the production could be effecting my view point here regarding Max’s vocals. I can understand why some find enjoyment in this performance though, I personally don’t.

Growling can definitely be pitched. Technically, it's always in some pitch, but of course, most growlers use a technique that obscures the pitch.

MetalManiaCometh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:52 pm 

colin040 wrote:

You think? Either the vocals are off key, or they're not. Since I've never heard of growling ''off key'' before, you're probably wrong.

Well no as all singing styles have a tonal quality and so does “growling”, though it’s a harder thing to quantify and would need some more time to compare and research but I mostly focus on his general vocals than the added snarls, growls, shrieks. There are moments throughout the record that he is out of time with the rest of music, usually when he’s trying to get through lyrics quickly and sounding out of breathe. And I wouldn’t say vocally Max’s vocals here aren’t defined by “growling” and is much more based in that gruff spoken word kind of style Cronos had.

colin040 wrote:
I wouldn't mind reading about this, as long as you had given clear examples and elaborated on this...but instead it sounds like you were just talking out of your ass, buddy. :p

I mean, I’m not, there are sections in songs like around the middle of Funeral Rites (maybe at the 2:00-2:30 mark if my memory serves me correctly), during the beginning of Empire Of The Damned and Morbid Visions, the final part of War, etc. To me it sounds like either a small note is accidentally strung or missed because of how fast they are playing. It’s all possible that I’m hearing it wrong or something is obscuring it on my end such as the thinness of the guitars or murky production or the drums fighting for control over the mix but I’ve listened to this record off and on for years and I’ve always heard the same thing. So it’s not really me talking out of my ass more so just my general observation. And if I am incorrect with my assessment regarding missing or adding notes, I don’t think it’d change my general viewing of the record as a whole anyways.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:08 am 

Since the guitars are out-of-tune on that record, perhaps it's the vocals that are in-tune? :P

PlumpHelmetMan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:27 pm 

I greatly enjoyed reading we hope you die's review of Ulver's first album. Though perhaps not the most useful review in terms of actually describing the music, I thought it was a very well-crafted commentary on the legacy of the album and the more conceptual aspects around how it succeeded with still having a lot of traction n the modern day.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... die/264381

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:41 pm 

This review for Maiden's latest single is an interesting read...

Not that I completely disagree with it. After some recent spins, this latest single kinda feels a bit weak when compared to some of their classic works. If I were to review this single, I would probably give this a 55-60%, as while it still has that special Maiden charm, it's not as prominent as in other works.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:42 pm 

People will really just write anything.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:35 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

I've been contemplating reviewing the single for about a week, and let's just say that I have a very different take on it.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:45 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I've been contemplating reviewing the single for about a week, and let's just say that I have a very different take on it.

I'd say give the review a go. After all, I'm more interested to see a more positive review of the song, since I'm currently mixed on it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:23 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I honestly don't care if people dislike it (I think it's good but it's not like I am raving as if it's one of their best) but that review was just silly to me, a lot of forced humor attempts.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:59 am 

I saw the jokes about the album name getting old by the end of the first paragraph from a mile away, and was not disappointed. Haven't heard the song though. I'm the kind of guy who listened to The Book of Souls for the first and only time live when they were touring for it lol.

It's the dawn of descending...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:39 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I honestly don't care if people dislike it (I think it's good but it's not like I am raving as if it's one of their best) but that review was just silly to me, a lot of forced humor attempts.

It seems a bit confused. I read it first, then listened to the single, and while some of the more general points the reviewer made are more or less correct, the more "incisive" remarks and specific criticisms are uncalled for. The meaning of the video should be pretty plain as well.

Although on that note, some of the themes are a bit surprising, considering that Iron Maiden in their older years especially seem to be a bunch of nice, tidy, patriotic conservative boys with upper class pretensions. I guess the christian symbolism, negative view of humanity and apocalypse fatalism fit in with that world view.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:09 am 

The video is just the usual type of stuff that has been in vogue for postapocalypse stuff - Fury Road did it and Sturgill Simpson did it for his Sound & Fury animated movie on Netflix. All vaguely adjacent types of worlds and themes about the inequality in the world growing so big and these ghoulish rulers taking over. I didn't take it to be anything conservative, personally... really the opposite.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:21 am 

Boy, Annable sure is committed to this "Megadeth is Blues Rock" schtick, huh.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:27 pm 

Empyreal's review for The Writing on the Wall is well written and to the point - great job! The one by rbright1674 however sounds like an overlong frustrated rant with dreadful attempts at humour that are borderline acceptable in this day and age. If I were to write a review, I would probably give the song a seventy percent rating.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:29 pm 

kluseba wrote:
Empyreal's review for The Writing on the Wall is well written and to the point - great job! The one by rbright1674 however sounds like an overlong frustrated rant with dreadful attempts at humour that are borderline acceptable in this day and age. If I were to write a review, I would probably give the song a seventy percent rating.

Agreed. I found Empyreal's review better in terms of structure and descriptions of the music.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:29 pm 

Thanks. I tried not to make it seem like I only wrote it to counter the other guy, but with all the Maiden I've been listening to (both old and new) I figured why not write it up anyway.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:57 pm 

My latest review is still pending.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:07 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Boy, Annable sure is committed to this "Megadeth is Blues Rock" schtick, huh.

every time I read an Annable piece, I am immediately drawn to the inexplicable bolding of random phrases and can't actually focus on the review. man that style drives me up the wall.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:21 am 

RapeTheDead, your review for Hate Eternal's Fury & Flames is actually pretty spot on. That band was a popular one for me and my brother growing up in our initial death metal phase, but even though I liked their energy, their actual writing didn't stick too well. But I'm revisiting that record right now and straight up, the riffs are actually more comprehensible and catchy without changing the band's sound.

Everyone talks about the production being a mess and too bass/drum heavy, but straight up, I, Monarch is by far the worse offender. I mean for fucks sake, I have perfect pitch and I can't even make out the chorus riff of Behold Judas because the guitar tone and mixing makes it sound like a washy fucking mess of amp noise. There's a difference between atonality and making riffs and melodies that just sound like jumbled notes.

The riffs on Fury & Flames are way more organized, clear and are actually pretty fucking savage, and the drums are indeed pretty solid too. I'll have to revisit this one!

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:56 am 

That CtE review has... many stupid points aside from calling Megadeth "blues metal".

Also... he's bolding the metaphors! He's accenting the fucking flavor text that is meant to be more attractive and tongue-in-cheek anyway! Why, man? Accent the main points, the meat! Are you not confident in your own words?

Am inclined to agree with RapeTheDead here, text formatting usually just gets in the way and distracts you from actually reading the text top to bottom. If you want to accent a specific point or phrase, vocabulary is all you need.
... stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:37 am 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
RapeTheDead, your review for Hate Eternal's Fury & Flames is actually pretty spot on. That band was a popular one for me and my brother growing up in our initial death metal phase, but even though I liked their energy, their actual writing didn't stick too well. But I'm revisiting that record right now and straight up, the riffs are actually more comprehensible and catchy without changing the band's sound.

Everyone talks about the production being a mess and too bass/drum heavy, but straight up, I, Monarch is by far the worse offender. I mean for fucks sake, I have perfect pitch and I can't even make out the chorus riff of Behold Judas because the guitar tone and mixing makes it sound like a washy fucking mess of amp noise. There's a difference between atonality and making riffs and melodies that just sound like jumbled notes.

The riffs on Fury & Flames are way more organized, clear and are actually pretty fucking savage, and the drums are indeed pretty solid too. I'll have to revisit this one!

Thank you for your internetical fist bump, and for reassuring me that i'm not the only one who thinks Fury & Flames is hella underrated and somehow got a bad rap right off the hop. I recall trying to get into Hate Eternal as a teen, I threw F&F on and was like "holy fuck, this is what I'm talking about" only to see a bunch of people online eviscerating it. It was enough for me to put off listening to it for years while I instead tried so hard to "get" the Derek Roddy albums and just couldn't...not that I'm salty or anything!

and yeah, I, Monarch just straight-up sucks. Gotta trash that in a review at some point soon.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

NoSoup4you22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:06 pm 

Quote:
Kotipelto, however, needs to get his due praise in the form of "Find Your Own Voice." Not only is the track one of the fastest the band has ever made, but it is hands down the greatest vocal performance Kotipelto has ever displayed. He hits high notes on the track that he has never hit before or since.

This song is my go-to example of why Kotipelto ruins 50% of Stratovarius songs, lol. I liked Elements 1 overall though.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:25 pm 

NoSoup4you22 wrote:
Quote:
Kotipelto, however, needs to get his due praise in the form of "Find Your Own Voice." Not only is the track one of the fastest the band has ever made, but it is hands down the greatest vocal performance Kotipelto has ever displayed. He hits high notes on the track that he has never hit before or since.

This song is my go-to example of why Kotipelto ruins 50% of Stratovarius songs, lol. I liked Elements 1 overall though.

I don't know how anyone can praise either of those two Elements albums over their '90s / post-Tolkki albums. They're quite bad (with some ugly ass cover art). Most of the material is boring and demonstrates exactly why they needed to get Timmo Tolkki the hell out of there.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

NoSoup4you22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:43 pm 

I listened to them today at work, and they didn't hold up. The keyboard and orchestra work is still awesome, but the guitars and drums are blatantly half-assed.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:04 am 

"Nemesis" is likely their best album which is amazing for a band around as long as they were.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:45 am 

I'll be glad that they liked Elements, Pt. 1 more than I do, that shit put me off checking them out for years.

Also love the 88% and 18% Liturgy reviews right next to each other. Truly the duality of man...

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:08 pm 

Even though we are on the almost opposite end of it, that new Sabaton review for "The Great War" must be an April Fools joke. There is no other way.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:11 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Even though we are on the almost opposite end of it, that new Sabaton review for "The Great War" must be an April Fools joke. There is no other way.

For anyone who considers a Sabaton album "The Greatest Album", I'd tell them to put on some Darkness Descends or I.N.R.I.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:09 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
For anyone who considers a Sabaton album "The Greatest Album", I'd tell them to put on some Darkness Descends or I.N.R.I.

That would be a bit like noticing that you really like Darkness Descends and telling you to put on some Blood Sugar Sex Magic to teach you what a great album really sounds like :lol:
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:35 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
CannibalCorpse wrote:

I'm one of the few defenders of said band on here, but even if we're going solely by the power metal sub-genre, I'd have to concur that Sabaton never wrote the greatest power metal album by a good country mile. Several of the albums Tommy Johansson put out with Reinxeed and the last couple Majestica albums are a cut above even Sabaton's better efforts. I'm not going to question the motives of the author of that review, but if I were going to write a reactionary review because Sabaton was my favorite band and others were slamming them with negative reviews, I might write something similar, though I'd hope more eloquently.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:53 pm 

That Obsolete review is silly. He somehow manages to only barely touch on the highly technical aspects of the album and the comparisons he draws don't really work. The album sounds like a halfway point between Black Fast and Vektor, with stronger songwriting than most of what either of those bands have done.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:40 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

That would be a bit like noticing that you really like Darkness Descends and telling you to put on some Blood Sugar Sex Magic to teach you what a great album really sounds like :lol:

BSSM was the album where RHCP lost me, I still hate it. Uplilft & Milk all the way here

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:58 am 

morbert wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

BSSM was the album where RHCP lost me, I still hate it. Uplilft & Milk all the way here

Well I was just grabbing an example that left plenty of stylistic gap but Slater might still know. That said, I do think BSSM is a great album, I like that kind of funk style.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:06 am 

The new magnit review was a surprise! Den Gneva is one of the best russian metal albums. The performances and compositions were phenomenal. whoever wrote this, kudos from me man. You should also do a review on the Detektiv album. Also in his place I would give the album 100% but still 87% is a fair score. Also I have live footage (never seen before) of Magnit with the guy who sings on Den Gneva on my youtube channel. My YT is: STAMOSGRE

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:23 am 

Sweetie, just noticed that you did an Overkill disco review. Also, that you did it backwards! Any insights on doing it that way round?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466 ... 520  Next