Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:54 am 

Funny thing about gasmask's writing for the latest Altars of Rebellion (other than the fact that he beat me to it lol, mine still has a long way to go) - he mentions the use of a drum machine and 'obviously unreal blastbeats', and understandably so, but truth is, they actually hired Lord Marco as a guest for some tracks, obviously the most insane ones. That man is really out of this world.

The review is pretty much accurate nevertheless, impressive moments abound yet rarely translate into all-around amazing songs. But again, to my ears it's not an uncommon issue with tech death :durr:

It's the dawn of descending...

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:57 am 

morbert wrote:
bayern wrote:
morbert wrote:
Anyone giving "When the Storm Comes Down" a good or even better review like bayern just did, gets my thumbs up.
p.s. E.M.TE.K. is an unsung masterpiece.

Ha ha, cheers! By the way, when I listened to the album the first time, this was the only song that I genuinely liked... and "Greed", to an extent. It's a grower...

Wow, really? I also digged 'The Master Sleeps' and 'Suffer The Masses' from the get-go. And 'Deviation' as well! I loved the vibe of that song
I got the CD from the library first and taped it. It was in my walkman for several months, especially when I went to soccer practice, which was quite a long ride on my bike. It wasn't until months later that I got an original copy.

I might have to rewrite my review, it's 14 years old already and rather short.

Well, if you were expecting something along the lines of "Dreams of Death" and "N.E Terror", I guess it's logical to get upset, and for the material presented to pass you by... but all good now; it does make sense, the entire tapestry, in a larger context.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:37 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Funny thing about gasmask's writing for the latest Altars of Rebellion (other than the fact that he beat me to it lol, mine still has a long way to go) - he mentions the use of a drum machine and 'obviously unreal blastbeats', and understandably so, but truth is, they actually hired Lord Marco as a guest for some tracks, obviously the most insane ones. That man is really out of this world.

The review is pretty much accurate nevertheless, impressive moments abound yet rarely translate into all-around amazing songs. But again, to my ears it's not an uncommon issue with tech death :durr:

Ah shooooooot, you just added those drummer details now, right? I literally got sent the promo package by the band and nowhere does it seem to mention their guest drummers.

I will obviously fix that; meanwhile, what's your take on it?
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:14 am 

The last review of Stained Class is one of the worst I have ever read about this album.

Shirase
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:35 am 

orphy wrote:
Shirase wrote:
Grumpy Cat’s archspire review is plain trolling, please delete (his account and the review)

How? He describes what's going on and talks about why he doesn't like it. I am also not a fan of Archspire and would highlight the exact same stuff Grumpy Cat did if I was reviewing it. Furthermore, he's written reviews for other things giving them praise. You can't get someone's account deleted because they have different taste than you, sorry bud.

It was a joke, about deleting his account, but seriously throw away that review, those are not opinions but plain lies, you just can't say that that album is "rock radio material" with "harmless guitars and drums", it's low rate trolling

Shirase
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:37 am 

robotiq wrote:
colin040 wrote:
Robotiq wrote a good review for Great Sorrow's Maze of Doom . The album's artwork is great...but the music definitely isn't.

Thanks, I really wanted to like that album more - but on repeated listens, I just couldn't.

orphy wrote:
Shirase wrote:
Grumpy Cat’s archspire review is plain trolling, please delete (his account and the review)

How? He describes what's going on and talks about why he doesn't like it. I am also not a fan of Archspire and would highlight the exact same stuff Grumpy Cat did if I was reviewing it. Furthermore, he's written reviews for other things giving them praise. You can't get someone's account deleted because they have different taste than you, sorry bud.

I've never heard this band/album before but I think that is a good review, makes some interesting points and comparisons. It also describes the album and the music well. I'm listening to the album now and I can see where the reviewer is coming from, regardless of whether I agree of disagree with them.

yeah, mordor probably

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:05 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Ah shooooooot, you just added those drummer details now, right? I literally got sent the promo package by the band and nowhere does it seem to mention their guest drummers.

Yeah lol, I guess I *could* have done it before :lol: recently I found out that a '80s thrash album I was reviewing contained a bonus track with a guest solo by none less than Michael Angelo Batio, yet there was nigh to none mention of it on the net (let alone on MA), I discovered it totally by chance when I was scrolling the booklet on Discogs for no exact reason. So I may have developed a tendency to double-check several times who's really playing since then :lol:

I think my review will end up touching very similar aspects (arguably with a slightly higher rating, but I'm gonna make the final decision after a couple more listens). The Fleshgod Apocalypse parallel was in the plans (and admittedly far too evident), but I couldn't quite pinpoint another band incorporating so many groovy moments (due to my ignorance regarding the tech death field, mainly), so the Biomechanical mention is both surprising and adequate. This one is luckily way less annoying than Cannibalised, if nothing else.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:05 am 

That Archspire review is fine and obviously not trolling.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:35 pm 

Best part is the bit where we're asked to delete his account, too. I get being a butthurt fan, but goddamn.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:52 pm 

Shirase wrote:
orphy wrote:
Shirase wrote:

It was a joke, about deleting his account, but seriously throw away that review, those are not opinions but plain lies, you just can't say that that album is "rock radio material" with "harmless guitars and drums", it's low rate trolling

I don't think you understand what jokes are, nor do you understand what trolling is. The review is fine, you're just butthurt.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:21 pm 

Forever Underground wrote:
The last review of Stained Class is one of the worst I have ever read about this album.

Dude really needs to come to terms with his irrational hatred towards cover songs

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:56 pm 

I gotta admit it took me a considerably long time to warm up to Stained Class and I probably would've given it a similar grade when I first heard it. But even with that said, those are some pretty flimsy points.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:21 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:

Dude really needs to come to terms with his irrational hatred towards cover songs

While I disagree, he has every right to dislike them and write about it.
Just another review, another p.o.v.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:10 pm 

morbert wrote:

I'm always open to negative points of view about albums I love, but everything he says feels forced, the irrational hatred of covers and calling Invader or Savage "poppy" because they have a repeating chorus don't even seem to me serious points to criticize the album.

Last edited by Forever Underground on Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:16 pm 

That Stained Class review just made me wonder what that guy wants from JP at all.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:10 pm 

"Good but not perfect"

***fart noise***

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:46 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Yeah lol, I guess I *could* have done it before :lol: recently I found out that a '80s thrash album I was reviewing contained a bonus track with a guest solo by none less than Michael Angelo Batio, yet there was nigh to none mention of it on the net (let alone on MA), I discovered it totally by chance when I was scrolling the booklet on Discogs for no exact reason. So I may have developed a tendency to double-check several times who's really playing since then :lol:

I think my review will end up touching very similar aspects (arguably with a slightly higher rating, but I'm gonna make the final decision after a couple more listens). The Fleshgod Apocalypse parallel was in the plans (and admittedly far too evident), but I couldn't quite pinpoint another band incorporating so many groovy moments (due to my ignorance regarding the tech death field, mainly), so the Biomechanical mention is both surprising and adequate. This one is luckily way less annoying than Cannibalised, if nothing else.

Hahaha it's annoying when stuff like that comes late and your review ends up looking stupid, so I appreciate the heads up. I actually could have given Altars Of Rebellion a lower score but I feel like there's something there that deserves to be recognized; it's not just the mash of crazy ideas that you rightly say Cannibalised was, but also it doesn't have any of the ecstatic crazy-gone-right moments from The Empires of the Worlds either. AoR basically buried some good ideas for me. If you're thinking something similar but like it more than me, then I'm glad because it probably means I haven't overlooked something obvious.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:17 am 

The recent Stained Class review gets one thing slightly wrong as well in that the band didn't truly start using the studs and leather look until HBFL/KM. Band photos from the Stained Class era show that the group were still dressing in more eclectic outfits then. Also Demolition isn't a nu-metal album.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:03 pm 

Interesting Amid Its Hallowed Mirth review from Robotiq. I do agree that the album lacks some serious classic, knock-out tunes, but I still think the album deserves a higher score than a 67. :P I'd give it a mid/high 70 score myself.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:43 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Hahaha it's annoying when stuff like that comes late and your review ends up looking stupid, so I appreciate the heads up. I actually could have given Altars Of Rebellion a lower score but I feel like there's something there that deserves to be recognized; it's not just the mash of crazy ideas that you rightly say Cannibalised was, but also it doesn't have any of the ecstatic crazy-gone-right moments from The Empires of the Worlds either. AoR basically buried some good ideas for me. If you're thinking something similar but like it more than me, then I'm glad because it probably means I haven't overlooked something obvious.

To be completely sure, let's see if somebody else will open up our eyes, then... :-P

Hard agree overall, I mostly remembered the same moments you mentioned in the review, but surely TEotW managed to be flat-out brilliant way more often. Even with its downsides, it was an impressive example of pulling off an album of this kind.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:24 pm 

morbert wrote:

I'm always open to negative points of view about albums I love, but everything he says feels forced, the irrational hatred of covers and calling Invader or Savage "poppy" because they have a repeating chorus don't even seem to me serious points to criticize the album.

The cover song is fuckin' weak and sucks. Also with regards to "Savage" they were commenting on the fact that the second and third verses are exactly the same.

The content of the review is fine. It does read a little muddled in places, I get the sense they went back and edited a few lines without proof reading the entire paragraph to check for flow and coherence. 'Stained Class' has some real highs and lows, 71% is pretty on point I reckon.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:25 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

To be completely sure, let's see if somebody else will open up our eyes, then... :-P

Hard agree overall, I mostly remembered the same moments you mentioned in the review, but surely TEotW managed to be flat-out brilliant way more often. Even with its downsides, it was an impressive example of pulling off an album of this kind.

Absolutely; that one ("TEotW") is one great album.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:38 am 

bayern wrote:

I can't be the only one who waits the whole album for the 11 second solo in 'Regenerated' though.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:37 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
bayern wrote:

I can't be the only one who waits the whole album for the 11 second solo in 'Regenerated' though.

Well, this one is surely a treat but man, if you tell me that you don't gape in at least semi-awe on the dystopian tech-thrash grandiloquence of "Truth Denied", I'm going to lose a tiny percentage from my respect for you...

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:09 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Haha! Definitely not, statistically at least... although it's likely everybody has his own "must" moment - seconding 'Truth Denied' as bayern promptly reminded, but also 'Enemy Within', 'Absolution'... too many to mention.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:20 am 

bayern wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:
bayern wrote:

Well, this one is surely a treat but man, if you tell me that you don't gape in at least semi-awe on the dystopian tech-thrash grandiloquence of "Truth Denied", I'm going to lose a tiny percentage from my respect for you...

Good song indeed, and more skilful in riffing than a lot of the rest of the album, although I guess its positioning sometimes makes me overlook it. I'm an 'Absolution' man too, that's a great song suite that just keeps growing until the final part.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:16 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Interesting Amid Its Hallowed Mirth review from Robotiq. I do agree that the album lacks some serious classic, knock-out tunes, but I still think the album deserves a higher score than a 67. :P I'd give it a mid/high 70 score myself.

Thanks again, I'm tempted to grade it up to 70 on reflection. Not sure.
I'm running the gauntlet of "death/doom albums I kinda like but kinda don't" at the moment...

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:20 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Interesting to get another review for Project Arcadia. I like the album a bit more, but it's a good writeup. That thing had a very special place for me when it came out - just that specific time of life.

Cheers man! I do have an album that occupies that space myself, so I totally understand any potential concerns you have. Either way, Divine Ascension was the power/prog act that nailed it for me; both in 2014, and now in 2021.

I do think your review of Orden Ogan's newest was a pretty good one. There was just something off about some of those tracks that came across more inclined towards corsetcore. Shame you weren't as big on the closing number but hey, what are ya gonna do?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:18 pm 

Yeah, Divine Ascension is also really good. I finally bought that one last year. No concerns regarding Project Arcadia really. But I might have to say that is Urban's best vocal performance to date. He was pretty much at his prime there.

Re: Orden Ogan, well the final song was pretty good. The album is fine. I just ended up really being in the mood for a lot of other, much different music.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:14 pm 

So it used to be a joke that all of Bayern’s scores were super high, and now he’s giving out 46% and 63% on the same day. How times have changed :)

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:13 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
So it used to be a joke that all of Bayern’s scores were super high, and now he’s giving out 46% and 63% on the same day. How times have changed :)

Well, it seems like all the great music has already been covered, mate... more or less.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:49 pm 

bayern wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Well, it seems like all the great music has already been covered, mate... more or less.

I guess so...that makes almost 1866 great releases you've already recommended then. You'll have to start a series telling us what to stay away from now. A little early to say it, but I'm looking ahead to you becoming the 3rd most prolific reviewer here and passing the 2000 mark. That would be quite a feat!

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:37 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
bayern wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

I guess so...that makes almost 1866 great releases you've already recommended then. You'll have to start a series telling us what to stay away from now. A little early to say it, but I'm looking ahead to you becoming the 3rd most prolific reviewer here and passing the 2000 mark. That would be quite a feat!

Factually, about 450 of my reviews are below the 80% score, so I'm not quite sure if those can be viewed recommendations...

about the 2000 mark: man, stop putting pressure on me... not 134 reviews seem like a really tough task...

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:39 am 

Yes true, I'm mostly commenting because I had realized for a while that you were awarding lower scores, but it struck me suddenly that those 2 on the same day were exceptionally low, and I considered that you had changed your habits. It might be a while before you crack the 2000 target, but it seems like a whirlwind of writing since you first came here, and a great contribution to the site.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:42 am 

Speaking of lower scores given away, does anyone else think that their writing style alters a bit once they're writing a negative review? Since most of my reviews fall into the 70 and 80%, I thought it'd be good to change things up a bit by writing about stuff that I don't care as much about or dislike.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:54 am 

For sure, sometimes it's like I'll get critical more easily once I've noticed a few poor points, but also I'll write less formally and probably make more jokey references, especially if the album is kind of boring. For a release that I want to like but can't bring myself to compliment, maybe a bit of sorrow and hand-wringing.

Btw Colin I'm not ignoring your messages, just lost my VPN temporarily :(

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:06 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
For sure, sometimes it's like I'll get critical more easily once I've noticed a few poor points, but also I'll write less formally and probably make more jokey references, especially if the album is kind of boring. For a release that I want to like but can't bring myself to compliment, maybe a bit of sorrow and hand-wringing.

For me, it's as if I'm getting more annoyed once I'm writing for something I dislike it. :lol:

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Btw Colin I'm not ignoring your messages, just lost my VPN temporarily :(

Sure, I'd say the same thing if I were you! :p

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:08 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Yes true, I'm mostly commenting because I had realized for a while that you were awarding lower scores, but it struck me suddenly that those 2 on the same day were exceptionally low, and I considered that you had changed your habits. It might be a while before you crack the 2000 target, but it seems like a whirlwind of writing since you first came here, and a great contribution to the site.

Cheers man, I'll surely give it a try... see what happens. But I don't make any promises... strange how this number looks big now... are we getting older, or what?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:00 am 

Only bayern can give Black Hole's Evil in the Dark an 87%. :lol: Although I am very happy at least SOMEBODY reviewed it AND Living Mask FINALLY.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:46 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Only bayern can give Black Hole's Evil in the Dark an 87%. :lol: Although I am very happy at least SOMEBODY reviewed it AND Living Mask FINALLY.

Man, that was ages ago... I don't even remember when I did those...

but yeah, "Evil in the Dark" is totally weird, surreal stuff, a very acquired taste... goes well with some semi-forbidden substances, though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 465, 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471 ... 520  Next