Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
naverhtrad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:37 am 

Got one last one in at 11:35 pm EST. Whew. I had a couple of others I wanted to get to, but just didn't have time tonight.

Cheers to everyone who participated, and congrats to gasmask_colostomy and hells_unicorn!

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:09 am 

Great job everyone, I don't think we got close to cracking the cumulative record of 609 reviews, but the level of participation and especially the number of people who contributed more than 10 reviews is highly encouraging. If we can have 8 or 9 people locked in competition for the top 3 slots, we can easily break the old record. Maybe next time. lol

Anyway, I ended up doing more today that I initially thought, managed to sneak 2 in fairly close to the buzzer, though the man of the almighty thumb had the last word on this one. Gas won this time, but I got closer than I have in the last several challenges, and I think I turned in my best performance since December 2019, which was when both Gas and Thumb managed to crack Diamhea's old record and I was just edged out for 3rd place. Maybe I'll try to break 100 reviews next time, though I honestly don't think I can pull it off even if I stick to shorter releases.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:48 am 

The competition turned out a little spicier than it looked like at first, with some good shouts for the top 5 places. I’m glad that you pushed on Hells, because otherwise I’m not sure I would have been motivated to keep going all week. As it is, I think we do need to gather 4-5 dependable reviewers at some point and then set some real targets (if anyone has time in their life for that…)
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:24 am 

I managed to get one measly review in but that's more than I had expected, to be honest ^^

Still love how you guys get into this after all these years :-)

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:15 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Maybe I'll try to break 100 reviews next time, though I honestly don't think I can pull it off even if I stick to shorter releases.

To be honest, it's not worth it at all. I'd be glad for someone to beat the record, but you don't write 100+ metal reviews in a week without starting to feel pretty deranged. I'm not sure it's even possible if you can't devote just about all your time to it (hence why I've never gotten better than 3rd place while employed full time). If your heart is set on doing it, I found competition absolutely necessary to reach those numbers. I don't think I'd have reached 100 without Gasmask on my heels, and I would have stopped at 101 if I could have left it at that and gotten 1st.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:28 pm 

I've mentioned it to Thumbman above, but I would've really liked to have seen him, Gasmask, Hells, and Diamhea go off on that challenge back in 2019. Would've been an epic race, and no doubt someone would've hit 120+.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:37 pm 

Daily Tally for Dec 5 2021
Total Reviews: 81/460
Total Virgin Reviews: 76/374
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 17.6% / 20.3%

Participant List for Dec 5 2021
Total Participants: 19 / 55

Today's Totals per Individual:
Spoiler: show
Thumbman=18
TheBurningOfSodom=11
AxlFuckingRose=9
hells_unicorn=9
gasmask_colostomy=8
Naverhtrad=4
Demon Fang=3
lukretion=2
MorbidAtheist666=2
robotiq=2
Agonymph=1
Deregin=1
kluseba=1
MikeyC=1
NausikaDalazBlindaz=1
PaganiusI=1
Slater922 7=1
Sweetie=1

Grand Totals Per Individual:
Spoiler: show
gasmask_colostomy=53
hells_unicorn=49
Thumbman=34
TheBurningOfSodom=30
AxlFuckingRose=29
MorbidAtheist666=16
Naverhtrad=13
Demon Fang=12
GreatfulDeadInside=10
lukretion=10
robotiq=8
Karoshi Metal=7
kluseba=7
PaganiusI=7
Slater922=7
Film=6
MikeyC=6
Larsen=5
sunn_bleach=5
TheReactor=5
EzraBlumenfeld=4
Lane=4
Deathdoom1992=3
Edmund Sakbauer=3
Felix 1666=3
gzusrocker=3
NausikaDalazBlindaz=3
We Hope You Die=3
KrigareTjovane=2
OzzyApu=2
raspberrysoda=2
Wilytank=2
AdNoctum=1
Agonymph=1
Bastardhead=1
Blackened Sally=1
CannibalCorpse=1
cmg92=1
Colonel Para Bellum=1
Deshift=1
Downpickeverything=1
Heilmann=1
JohnnyMoreDread=1
Napero=1
OneYouDon'tKnow=1
orphy=1
SlavicBes=1
The Bard With Bright Eyes=1
TheNotrap=1
Tomcat Ha=1
Tome8754=1
Ziamoletto=1

Compared to the last challenge, we are down 52 reviews and 12 participants.

Congrats to Gasmask for winning yet another challenge and Hells_Unicorn for giving him a run for his money. Also shoutout to TheBurningofSodom for being a newer top competitor (and also for getting in my Secret Satan at the last minute). Fun fact: AxlFuckingRose would have been in third place if all his reviews submitted during the week had been virgins.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:53 pm 

Thumbman wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:
Maybe I'll try to break 100 reviews next time, though I honestly don't think I can pull it off even if I stick to shorter releases.

To be honest, it's not worth it at all. I'd be glad for someone to beat the record, but you don't write 100+ metal reviews in a week without starting to feel pretty deranged. I'm not sure it's even possible if you can't devote just about all your time to it (hence why I've never gotten better than 3rd place while employed full time). If your heart is set on doing it, I found competition absolutely necessary to reach those numbers. I don't think I'd have reached 100 without Gasmask on my heels, and I would have stopped at 101 if I could have left it at that and gotten 1st.

My current job has me doing between 50-60 hours a week (the only downside of owning your own business), which I think is a big part of why I have struggled to even break 70 reviews over the past 8 years. My personal record of 93 reviews was set back when I could get away with taking a week off of substitute teaching (which is a shitty job that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, hence why I got out of it lol), and you're absolutely right, between the stiff competition I was getting at the time from OzzyApu, DeathRiderDoom and Perplexed_Sjel I found this sudden burst of writing energy I never knew I had, and have since only been able to replicate one other time back in 2010. Hard to believe that 2 of those guys are gone now along with my original review challenge nemesis Noktorn.

Anyway, this was a good challenge, maybe not the most prolific one we've done, but it's definitely great to see some new blood here. Hats off to TheBurningOfSodom and AxlFuckingRose for the solid performances (and to the latter for stealing a couple of my virgins :lol: .) We'll get that 609 record broken yet. :hail:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

gzusrocker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:36 pm 

Congrats to the top 3 reviewers! I only submitted 3 reviews, but i had a blast participating for the first time ever, specially because i visit MA since 2007 or so, but only created an account this year. I hope to become more prolific and have more time to make reviews, i really enjoy writing, particularly about stuff i love.

A question to the top reviewers: how the fuck do you manage to review so many virgins? I mean, it's already impressive to put out a big amount of detailed reviews, but another thing is to actually come up with so many brand new ones. I'm asking it also because i'd like to know if you have any personal ways or strategies to know new bands and albums that you'd like to review, because i really get lost amidst MA, Bandcamp, Youtube, different genres, different countries, etc.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:05 pm 

my record for a challenge was 21 or so reviews and i managed that by preparing a list of stuff i had listened to recently that had no reviews before the challenge started. I can't really write a review after just 1 listen and stuff needs to marinate for a while which is also why im bad at secret satan.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:23 pm 

Derigin wrote:
I've mentioned it to Thumbman above, but I would've really liked to have seen him, Gasmask, Hells, and Diamhea go off on that challenge back in 2019. Would've been an epic race, and no doubt someone would've hit 120+.

That’s an amazing thought, and sad that it will never happen. It’s always kind of tough to predict what a given week will be like as well and to choose a week that works for the majority.

This time round, I’m very satisfied that Hells put in a good total, and I’d gladly donate one review to give him 50. It’s a while since he was so close to that mark. Feel a little sorry for BurningOfSodom, especially after he wrote 11 reviews with a splint on his finger. Guess no one told him about the new prank element to the challenge, where the organizer pretends he’s not that interested for 3 days and then writes 18 reviews in the last 24 hours :-P Fancy doing that for 7 days again, Mr Thumb? Hahaha, give it another 6 months though.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:37 pm 

It's been a wild ride, guys. Congrats to everyone, and happy to receive all these compliments :) I wanted to try a 'serious' challenge experience for once, and the fact that not many, Gas and Hells aside, seemed to care on the first days was the ulterior push I needed to be that dark horse Hells talked about. I set my initial aim on 25, considered it too high halfway through the week, then raised it in a desperate attempt to get 3rd place on Sunday. In any case, I have no regrets. It was so exhausting that I doubt I'll offer again a serious competition soon (or return to reviewing altogether for a while, lol), but who knows.

tomcat_ha wrote:
my record for a challenge was 21 or so reviews and i managed that by preparing a list of stuff i had listened to recently that had no reviews before the challenge started.

Pretty much it, also for me. I even started hunting virgin reviews right after the June challenge, in which I only managed to listen to and review 5 albums, ended, and I felt I could be way more organized than that.

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Feel a little sorry for BurningOfSodom, especially after he wrote 11 reviews with a splint on his finger. Guess no one told him about the new prank element to the challenge, where the organizer pretends he’s not that interested for 3 days and then writes 18 reviews in the last 24 hours

I probably missed that part of the rules, yeah :lol: pretty cruel indeed, but that's part of the game. My best just isn't enough compared to a pace like that.

Thumbman wrote:
Also shoutout to TheBurningofSodom for being a newer top competitor (and also for getting in my Secret Satan at the last minute)

I'd say it's also pretty easy to find, especially when surrounded by 29 thrash/crossover releases :lol: hope you liked it, though. Thanks for the kind words and for crushing my dreams, I guess.

It's the dawn of descending...

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:39 pm 

My bad, I thought I could stay away this time but ended up catching the review bug again at the tail end of the challenge.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:32 am 

All good. It was fun nonetheless :beer:

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:49 pm 

Accidently participated. Nice!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:39 pm 

Counting up all my reviews from these challenges, I reckon I've written about 660 virgins since I first took part in about 2015. Factoring in other "virgin" reviews (for new albums mostly), I'd say at least half of all my reviews on the site were virgins at the time of writing them. What about for others?

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:12 am 

The orders of magnitude are worlds apart, thus the count way easier, but more or less same here. 36 total challenge reviews plus 14 for other virgins, so that'd be 50 out of 83. I always avoided popular albums like the plague lol.

Fun fact: the amount of reviews I wrote during last week exceeds half of the ones I completed during the previous 6 years. Now I get why I was so burned out :lol:

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:05 pm 

I had to delve into my own review page in order to double check my numbers on the challenges that I participated in but didn't win, place of show in and I wound up with a whopping 993 total virgins deflowered for my total number of every challenge, which is a little over 1/4 of every review I've written for this site. It's funny, I actually got into these by accidentally contributing 2 virgins to the 2nd challenge way back in November, 2006, and something just possessed me to go nuts and submit 65 reviews to the 3rd challenge (the prior record was 10 and the person who took first place in the 2nd challenge wrote 7), so I guess you could say I created a monster. :lol:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:43 pm 

The rest, as they say, truly was history then... :-P

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:07 am 

If need to blame someone, it's your fault.

Additionally, I wanted to note that this was the first challenge in many years where no one reviewed a Buckethead album. Not even me.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:00 pm 

Wish I could have done more. My job has me working 10-12 hour shifts and I don't have the same motivation I used to. Also, for some reason, it has me listed as writing 2 reviews during this challenge when I only did 1. Congrats to everyone else for putting in time for keeping these challenges alive and kicking.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3