* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:17 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Luvers wrote:
Because it is Judas Priest and the only thing they could give a fuck about less is consistency.

Gotta love it when fans defend their band's change of direction regardless of the output. Do you really believe that it was a coincidence that they released Turbo in 1986, Painkiller in 1990 and Jugulator in 1997?

Turbo wasn't a bad album, I prefer the more aggressive character of the two that came before it, but if I were to do an apples to apples comparison between it and a lot of more blatantly glam albums from the mid-80s, it comes out ahead of a lot of stuff. Perhaps I'm biased because "Turbo Lover" was the first song I heard by them on the Masters Of Metal: Thunder And Spice compilation back in the day (also the reason why I ended up hearing "No Stranger To Love" a year prior to hearing "Iron Man"), but I can sympathize with Luvers' take on the album to an extent, even if I did score it 18 points lower.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:33 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Luvers wrote:
Because it is Judas Priest and the only thing they could give a fuck about less is consistency.
Gotta love it when fans defend their band's change of direction regardless of the output.
I do not. There are plenty of Priest songs that I do not care for and some I completely dislike.
colin040 wrote:
Do you really believe that it was a coincidence that they released Turbo in 1986, Painkiller in 1990 and Jugulator in 1997?
Not sure how you can ask me if I think that. It was not a coincidence, it was a creative decision that started on Killing Machine and has continued to this day. Every Priest album is a reflection of the era it was made and those three are no different.
hells_unicorn wrote:
Turbo wasn't a bad album, I prefer the more aggressive character of the two that came before it, but if I were to do an apples to apples comparison between it and a lot of more blatantly glam albums from the mid-80s, it comes out ahead of a lot of stuff. Perhaps I'm biased because "Turbo Lover" was the first song I heard by them on the Masters Of Metal: Thunder And Spice compilation back in the day (also the reason why I ended up hearing "No Stranger To Love" a year prior to hearing "Iron Man"), but I can sympathize with Luvers' take on the album to an extent, even if I did score it 18 points lower.
Your first Priest exposure was Turbo Lover? I also prefer Defenders and a few others to Turbo, not like I had the opinion it was the bands best work. I just think I am back where I belong. Alone on the stage, saying my peace and dodging the tomatoes that come my way. :boo:

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:30 am 

Luvers wrote:
As I have stressed in every Priest review I have done(or will do), expecting anything when it pertains to Judas Priest is just foolish. They have never had two albums sound the same, not least of which back to back. No other metal band would include Last Rose of Summer on an album boasting the first speed, thrash and power metal songs. Sad Wings of Destiny is where people claim Priest became Priest and yet it features an undeniable Gospel tune in Epitaph, particularly in the vocal department. Why? Because it is Judas Priest and the only thing they could give a fuck about less is consistency.

This is false. They've often done things in pairs. Killing Machine and British Steel are certainly similar records. Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith are pretty much twin records. Even the most recent two are very similar to each other. If anything, they've followed the mantra of "if it works, do it again".

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:35 am 

Terri23 wrote:
Luvers wrote:
As I have stressed in every Priest review I have done(or will do), expecting anything when it pertains to Judas Priest is just foolish. They have never had two albums sound the same, not least of which back to back. No other metal band would include Last Rose of Summer on an album boasting the first speed, thrash and power metal songs. Sad Wings of Destiny is where people claim Priest became Priest and yet it features an undeniable Gospel tune in Epitaph, particularly in the vocal department. Why? Because it is Judas Priest and the only thing they could give a fuck about less is consistency.

This is false. They've often done things in pairs. Killing Machine and British Steel are certainly similar records. Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith are pretty much twin records. Even the most recent two are very similar to each other. If anything, they've followed the mantra of "if it works, do it again".

Good point. If it wasn't clear with my previous post, I also suggested that JP were definitely chasing trends; but I can imagine that the die-hard JP fans refuse to believe that. :p

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:59 pm 

bayern, when I saw that you gave ole Salem Lot's (or one of them, anyhow) a higher grade than Satan's latest, had to give it a go...it's pretty thrashy, in a muddy, maze-like, furnace storm of wanly expunged mayhem. (Although I'll stick with Terre Infernale for now.)

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:30 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
bayern, when I saw that you gave ole Salem Lot's (or one of them, anyhow) a higher grade than Satan's latest, had to give it a go...it's pretty thrashy, in a muddy, maze-like, furnace storm of wanly expunged mayhem. (Although I'll stick with Terre Infernale for now.)

These are the Norwegians, brother... serious Viking stuff.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:39 pm 

I'm glad that Robotiq is fond of Warmaster but for the love of GOAT, please make your reviews a bit more interesting, will you?

TITLE: The best Bolt Thrower album

FIRST SENTENCE: This is the best Bolt Thrower album

FINAL SENTENCE: Still, this is the best Bolt Thrower album

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIII :lol:

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:44 pm 

Intentional. Not changing that.

(one more Bolt Thrower to do, then I'm done).

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:26 pm 

robotiq wrote:

Wait, you're not gonna review all of the other BT albums? Not even Those Once Loyal?

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:58 pm 

Props to Chair for his Vulcain review, another cool band that would’ve flew under my radar otherwise!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:26 am 

Slater922 wrote:
robotiq wrote:

Wait, you're not gonna review all of the other BT albums? Not even Those Once Loyal?

He has already written a review for that one.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:30 am 

colin040 wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
robotiq wrote:

He has already written a review for that one.

Oh yeah, I forgot he wrote a review for all the other BT albums. Now I feel like an idiot :durr:

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:44 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 922/853070

Ouch what shot in the heart this review….

Commercial,bland and with too much groove.

After illud the worst album of MA,Heretic is ten thousand better
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:45 am 

Thanks kazhard, I'm actually quite fond of Vulcain now, as they stand in as a Frenchified Tank, big time! Upon originally reading the "meh!" review for their debut, didn't necesseraily have high expectations, but yeah, they're definitely up there with the "creme de la creme" (accents be damned as they're too much trouble, keyboard wise).

I've a modern day French band to purview I think you'll also dig greatly...although it requires manifold spins before further analysis.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:41 pm 

Good to see the mighty Neglect added to the site yesterday... hmm that Don Fury compilation needs a review...

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:52 pm 

Luvers wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:
Your first Priest exposure was Turbo Lover? I also prefer Defenders and a few others to Turbo, not like I had the opinion it was the bands best work. I just think I am back where I belong. Alone on the stage, saying my peace and dodging the tomatoes that come my way. :boo:

I was born in 1980, and somehow despite constantly watching MTV in 1988 and 1989, I was exclusively catching stuff by bands like Poison, Cinderella, Motley Crue and Guns 'N' Roses. My brother had a cassette copy of a compilation called "Masters Of Metal: Thunder And Spice", which had a bunch of hit songs from the 80s by an odd mishmash of rock and metal bands. "Turbo Lover", Alice Cooper's "Poison" and Ozzy's "Shot In The Dark" were my three favorite songs from the compilation, but I really enjoyed everything that was on it. That cassette was also my introduction to Triumph, Black Sabbath (technically Iommi's first solo album as the song was "No Stranger To Love") and Jason Bonham's solo band.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:04 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Luvers wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:

I was born in 1980, and somehow despite constantly watching MTV in 1988 and 1989, I was exclusively catching stuff by bands like Poison, Cinderella, Motley Crue and Guns 'N' Roses. My brother had a cassette copy of a compilation called "Masters Of Metal: Thunder And Spice", which had a bunch of hit songs from the 80s by an odd mishmash of rock and metal bands. "Turbo Lover", Alice Cooper's "Poison" and Ozzy's "Shot In The Dark" were my two favorite songs from the compilation, but I really enjoyed everything that was on it. That cassette was also my introduction to Triumph, Black Sabbath (technically Iommi's first solo album as the song was "No Stranger To Love") and Jason Bonham's solo band.

Do you remember Ratt?

Very good band togheter with Tesla the only bands glam that I listen too now…
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:12 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Luvers wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:
I was born in 1980, and somehow despite constantly watching MTV in 1988 and 1989, I was exclusively catching stuff by bands like Poison, Cinderella, Motley Crue and Guns 'N' Roses. My brother had a cassette copy of a compilation called "Masters Of Metal: Thunder And Spice", which had a bunch of hit songs from the 80s by an odd mishmash of rock and metal bands. "Turbo Lover", Alice Cooper's "Poison" and Ozzy's "Shot In The Dark" were my two favorite songs from the compilation, but I really enjoyed everything that was on it. That cassette was also my introduction to Triumph, Black Sabbath (technically Iommi's first solo album as the song was "No Stranger To Love") and Jason Bonham's solo band.
So I guess Turbo Lover was the first. Not usual for a fans first listen but I get it though. Even though I have enjoyed/loved metal since discovering Triumph in 1978 and becoming a connoisseur of the genre but I did not discover Black Sabbath until 1983 with the song Digital Bitch from Born Again being played on an FM radio station.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:41 pm 

I kind of feel bad for the folks whose first introduction to Priest was Turbo Lover. Not the best way to introduce such a legendary band to put it lightly... :violin:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:06 am 

I dunno. My introduction to Priest was Living After Midnight, a song that I thought was really fucking boring back then and remains really fucking boring to this day. Turbo was one of the last Priest albums I listened to and I surprised myself by feeling like it was the third best album of the decade for them (obviously SFV and DotF are superior). It's a lot of dumb fun and the title track is a legitimate classic tune. Priest has always been extremely good with hooks so them leaning into that strength whole hog absolutely works for me. Sure it's not as heavy or mean as the few albums before it but sacrificing some speed in exchange for even catchier choruses is a fair trade for me.

Worth noting that my experience with Priest didn't happen in the 80s. Maybe I'd hate Turbo to death if I was a huge fan of the previous two albums at the time. Zoomed out decades later, it's a little easier to decouple the art from the context of the time, and Turbo probably works a lot better in the context of a 50 year career than it does as the followup to two of the best metal albums of the decade.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:15 am 

Haha, nightbreaker's Spitfire_Die Fighting! review had me die laughing. Also, GodofMalice's Gwar reviews are great - I especially dig this latest post-humous ode to Oderus.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:20 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER I bet you laughed because of the funny story of when the band played at beach party.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:31 pm 

Indeed, the visual it conjured put me off my feed! (hint: "chick" or "broad" in French-from-France translates as: "gonzesse", a word I've always wanted to integrate into a review, yet struggle to in light of its ribald connotation...)

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:47 am 

Slater, you have new Paganizer at pretty high clicks. When you mention that the instrumentals are "a bit standard" and the vocals "a bit bland", you're saying that's what other people might think, right? Because I'm one of those people, so your score shocked me!
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:07 am 

linkavitch wrote:
Congrats on reading the whole thing, I stopped reading that glorified track by track review at "Gothenburg faggotry."

So you made it through five paragraphs, but couldn't make it all the way through because of that term?

review wrote:
And unlike some people that dislike 21st century Kreator, I don't mind the fact that these albums are melodic (Coma of Souls is also pretty melodic, and we all agree its awesome), nor do I think they are necessarily "Gothenburg faggotry" (songs like Replicas of Life or Civilization Collapse sound to me more like Symbolic-era Death songs than anything from the Gothenburg scene), although there are times where that description fits.

It's clear the writer uses it with some distance (which he/she could be faulted for), and it's definitely not the case that the main criticism advanced is "this is Gothenburg faggotry". It's also not a track by track.

Last edited by Red_Death on Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:24 am 

Hey, twist, nice Darian and Friends review. I checked it out after reading, and was mighty pleased by such differential vocalizing for each track - "Lost Horizons" sounds like wayward Trident Lords; although, the final balladry at the end dragged on a mite too long (I forced myself to hear it in full, simply out of form). I've a new Michigan band under my wing I really want you to check out, only I'm too burnt at the moment to force a justice-done review or two, as both their albums slay in a radio-friendly, but ultimately metal way.

Hint: The cover of the first sports a black & white "locustmotive".

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:15 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Slater, you have new Paganizer at pretty high clicks. When you mention that the instrumentals are "a bit standard" and the vocals "a bit bland", you're saying that's what other people might think, right? Because I'm one of those people, so your score shocked me!

Cool to see that my Paganizer review is getting some attention! :thumbsup:

And yeah, the standard descriptions might be a bit of a let down, but what I was trying to say is that it's the execution of the sound and style that makes this album so damn good.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:27 pm 

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but was the TrooperEd review where he compares Blind Guardian to Sepultura backed up on Internet Archive?

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:53 pm 

Quite a morbid curiosity if ever I've seen one.

It's the dawn of descending...

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:45 pm 

Not liking this review from Echobreather.

To me, this album is basically Gorguts's "Obscura" done right, as the mix of tech-death and avant-garde metal is done really well here. Might have to give it a review sometime this summer.

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:46 pm 

Slater922 wrote:

To me, this album is basically Gorguts's "Obscura" done right, as the mix of tech-death and avant-garde metal is done really well here. Might have to give it a review sometime this summer.

I was just shitting on this review on discord. When he says ""this is just your average old school death metal in the vein of Incantation, Immolation, and/or Gorguts," I rolled my eyes so fucking hard. He then states that he doesn't even like that style of death metal, so why fucking review it anyway? "Most of the time the drums are there just for the rhythm." Well fuck me, I thought drums were supposed to keep the rhythm.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:09 am 

orphy wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

I was just shitting on this review on discord. When he says ""this is just your average old school death metal in the vein of Incantation, Immolation, and/or Gorguts," I rolled my eyes so fucking hard. He then states that he doesn't even like that style of death metal, so why fucking review it anyway? "Most of the time the drums are there just for the rhythm." Well fuck me, I thought drums were supposed to keep the rhythm.

Sent it back, it was full of misspelled words and it's objecitvely wrong lol.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:16 am 

Slater922 wrote:

Obscura is one of most difficult listen of my life,took ten years to appreciate it

Don’t give up,sometimes try to listen and re listen this work I don’t want believe that you don’t appreciate

Of course it’s only a cons

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:49 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
I kind of feel bad for the folks whose first introduction to Priest was Turbo Lover. Not the best way to introduce such a legendary band to put it lightly... :violin:

When you're 10 years old and you think that glam rock is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the heaviest you'll go is Guns 'N' Roses' "Appetite For Destruction", it's not really that bad of an introduction. In retrospect, Turbo as an entire album is their weakest from the 80s and only real edge out the Ripper Owens albums for 3rd weakest overall, but the title song is so stupidly catchy that to this day I can't help but enjoy it. It only leaves a bad impression if you are a heavy metal expert who somehow never heard Judas Priest before (is that even possible?) and it's your first song. It's easy to trash stuff in retrospect because it's dated, but at the time, it was well-liked, particularly among those who hadn't been exposed to the earlier stuff.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:40 pm 

I've just read the recent review of Rings of Saturn's (read: Lucan Mann's) new instrumental album. You know the band has taken a massive nosedive if even a self-proclaimed fanboy is taken aback.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:16 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

When you're 10 years old and you think that glam rock is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the heaviest you'll go is Guns 'N' Roses' "Appetite For Destruction", it's not really that bad of an introduction. In retrospect, Turbo as an entire album is their weakest from the 80s and only real edge out the Ripper Owens albums for 3rd weakest overall, but the title song is so stupidly catchy that to this day I can't help but enjoy it. It only leaves a bad impression if you are a heavy metal expert who somehow never heard Judas Priest before (is that even possible?) and it's your first song. It's easy to trash stuff in retrospect because it's dated, but at the time, it was well-liked, particularly among those who hadn't been exposed to the earlier stuff.

Must confess that Cold lake was my first lp of heavy metal (sic!)and I liked (argh)

When have ten years too shit seem gold

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:09 pm 

The Ultimate Sin was my first metal album. Which isn't that bad IMO. The drumming is a little too barebones (given what a monster Castillo is) and the production is a little too pristine, but the songs themselves are solid.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:22 pm 

That's not too bad, all things considered, there are some good songs on it, despite the nightmarish cover. (I also had bad dreams about the long and vampiric, purple nails on the hand cradling an electric axe on cover of Slade's Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply, it being my first given tape by one of father's friends when I was barely old enough to properly pronounce those danged "th" sounds i.e. the theatre, not "da feetor" for example.)

Haha, robotiq, I bet it must have felt funny typing out "robotic" in your Prophecy Of Doom_Matrix review!

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:30 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Haha, robotiq, I bet it must have felt funny typing out "robotic" in your Prophecy Of Doom_Matrix review!

Indeed it did, took a double-take before completing that particular sentence.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:31 pm 

Hey gas, I checked out Lord Vigo after reading your wisdom nugget strewn review and found much to my liking, notwithstanding the awesome band name. They're mild similarities to Hell and The Night Eternal, with a nice balance between doomy and hard rocking parts. Vigo up!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484 ... 520  Next