Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:51 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Hey gas, I checked out Lord Vigo after reading your wisdom nugget strewn review and found much to my liking, notwithstanding the awesome band name. They're mild similarities to Hell and The Night Eternal, with a nice balance between doomy and hard rocking parts. Vigo up!

They were a name I'd thought about checking out before, but this seems like a good album to get in on them. Now that you mention it, the new release reminds me a bit of Hell's first album, it's got the same kind of showmanship to it. And although I can't confirm it anywhere, I'm pretty sure We Shall Overcome is based on Blade Runner!
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:12 am 

That's so funny, because at the John Howard Society downtown - where, on the 12th and 13th, I'm taking forklift and mini-excavator training (yay!) - there is a work search group called Blade Runners...Actually, they held a BBQ last Thursday, made some tasty cheese bergs. Ultra Raptor, eh? I totally missed out on them when premiered by old hand NWOTHM, but, judging from your high score, it looks and sounds like a doozy. I've a band I really want to review, now, but I dig it so much, it's kind of a Doctor Smoke syndrome, where I fear to fail justice doing. (How's that for a clumsy sentence?)

I definitely want to get my ass at the top of the pyramid now, like so wantonly did in Assassin's Creed Origins - am starting Odyssey now, another massive time consumer - whence sliding down pyramids from the top! (They even suggest so in the tutorial).

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:55 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
That's so funny, because at the John Howard Society downtown - where, on the 12th and 13th, I'm taking forklift and mini-excavator training (yay!) - there is a work search group called Blade Runners...Actually, they held a BBQ last Thursday, made some tasty cheese bergs. Ultra Raptor, eh? I totally missed out on them when premiered by old hand NWOTHM, but, judging from your high score, it looks and sounds like a doozy. I've a band I really want to review, now, but I dig it so much, it's kind of a Doctor Smoke syndrome, where I fear to fail justice doing. (How's that for a clumsy sentence?)

I definitely want to get my ass at the top of the pyramid now, like so wantonly did in Assassin's Creed Origins - am starting Odyssey now, another massive time consumer - whence sliding down pyramids from the top! (They even suggest so in the tutorial).

That is my dream job from when I was 5, totally envy you getting to be able to operate an excavator especially! But man, Ultra Raptor are a real yes, they feel old school but sound surprisingly fresh and modern, so I'm not sure how you can wrong unless you want analogue amps. Or longer forearms, I suppose.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:48 am 

Duly digging Ultra Raptor (sans umlauts, as they're a pain to type), especially the raw production, which clashes so well with its overall hard driven melody. The vocals threw me off (not up), but on my second spin, I came to see their true value - like the hardware store.

Since my resume is pretty much crap - haven't worked a real or official job since 2006 - I've been taking on every possible certificate to include, from hazardous material security to first aid, but I'm hoping these upcoming ones are the ticket. I'm not too keen on being a whipping boy (the unexperienced grunt who gets all the dirty, excruciating heavy lifting stuff) so hopefully I can find a job which doesn't wear me out too much. I busted my knee super badly in 2010 evading Triad store security from a T N T market (long story) and am limited in physical work. Now, working with animals somehow, that would be ideal!

PS Our good pal Jo Steel of Ice War renown has turned around with yet further side act, a cool collaboration with his Aphrodite/Cannibal cohort and, amazingly, Trevor Church of Haunt. Should be a non demo like doozy.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/D ... ed/1051883

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:25 pm 

Congrats to sweet and low for hitting up 700 reviews...I know such milestone is a tough one, having felt rather wan surpassing the 600 mark. As far as aiming for the big thou, it picks up shortly thereafter. Although, once I hit said goal, wish to try my hand at short story writing, for a (big) change.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:08 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Although, once I hit said goal, wish to try my hand at short story writing, for a (big) change.

I never thought I'd see the day Finnegan's Wake got a sequel!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:42 pm 

I want to read it now, after quick wiki check. Apparently, it caused quite a stir in literary circles...

There's another famous one called Gatsby, by Ernest Vincent Wright (back in 1939) which eschews the letter "e", although how, I've no idea! What a "sans queue ni tête" tale that must be. For real though, I was sort of half-joking, real writing is something else entirely. My reviews are no more than whimsical musings on good music which help deal with daily grind...sadly, without "bump".

Oh, that Legend review is great, I'm digging From the Fjords right now, and might even book it into the ole rolodex.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:31 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Although, once I hit said goal, wish to try my hand at short story writing, for a (big) change.

I never thought I'd see the day Finnegan's Wake got a sequel!

Ha ha ha!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:13 am 

It's come up in the review feedback thread, but I know no one reads that: is supporting the ideology of a NSBM album grounds for rejecting a review? To clarify, the purpose of the rejected review was not to promote the ideology specifically, but it contains a brief positive mention. There are other possible reasons for rejection, such as track-by-track format, but no reason was given.

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
There's another famous one called Gatsby, by Ernest Vincent Wright (back in 1939) which eschews the letter "e", although how, I've no idea! What a "sans queue ni tête" tale that must be. For real though, I was sort of half-joking, real writing is something else entirely. My reviews are no more than whimsical musings on good music which help deal with daily grind...sadly, without "bump".

Then you'll want to check out the (francophone) Georges Perec and La Disparition. It's not just a lipogrammatic novel (containing no 'e' as well, which is more difficult in French), but also has a reason for being so.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:35 am 

Is it called La Disparition because "e" pulls a runner? How long is the thing? It can't be very many pages! Just read Colin's Satan review and agree, it's way ahead of its Tina Turner time...they even inspired the brutal beat-em-up hockey Nintendo game, Blades Of Steel, in 1987, the year I received a console as Xmas/birthday present combo. Oh, just don't let Mom read the part about favouring guitar solos over her. Plus, another great Scorpions review by the German legend's main steward himself.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:30 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
It's come up in the review feedback thread, but I know no one reads that: is supporting the ideology of a NSBM album grounds for rejecting a review? To clarify, the purpose of the rejected review was not to promote the ideology specifically, but it contains a brief positive mention. There are other possible reasons for rejection, such as track-by-track format, but no reason was given.

It follows the same logic as other reviews. A review should focus on the music of the album, and should not be used as a soapbox or tool for some other means. We're not going to reject or remove a review that may be positive about a NS band's music, but we will if it becomes clear to us that the reviewer - for whatever reason - wants to use the review to express their support for and promote NS ideology. This may upset some people, but we're not interested in MA being used that way. My suggestion when it comes to reviewing NS content, as I would for any album for review, is to try to stick to the music.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:22 am 

Derigin wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

It follows the same logic as other reviews. A review should focus on the music of the album, and should not be used as a soapbox or tool for some other means. We're not going to reject or remove a review that may be positive about a NS band's music, but we will if it becomes clear to us that the reviewer - for whatever reason - wants to use the review to express their support for and promote NS ideology. This may upset some people, but we're not interested in MA being used that way. My suggestion when it comes to reviewing NS content, as I would for any album for review, is to try to stick to the music.

That sounds reasonable, and I'm pleased it's like that. Thanks for clarifying.

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Is it called La Disparition because "e" pulls a runner? How long is the thing? It can't be very many pages!

Only 300 pages, kind of modest. I don't want to give the game away entirely, but the "disparition" refers to a certain group of people, of whom Perec was himself one.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:35 pm 

The world is full of madmen, indeed. Ah, looking forward to nightbreaker's latest for Spitfire*, as there's maybe further ribald innuendo to revel in. By the way, Demon Chrome just put out two rocking singles (possible precursor to highly sought proper release on behalf of the Rhode Island trio) but not wanting to be cheap, will wait for the full-length instead of rattling off pair of single paragraphed spiels, for now. I even want to email the front man and ask what's up!

*I feel sorry for front man Tasos Krokodeilos, as his surname sounds too much like Krokodil, that whack drug despoiling not-so-motherly Russia.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:41 pm 

Quote:
Ah, looking forward to nightbreaker's latest for Spitfire*, as there's maybe further ribald innuendo to revel in

Spoiler alert!! there aren't any. I think Spitfire's "Wasted" might have some. "Fool Enough" from the 2009 Spitfire album did have some and according to the main songwriter of Spitfire, it talks about a man who finds a very hot woman and she falls from him. Luckily.

Quote:
*I feel sorry for front man Tasos Krokodeilos, as his surname sounds too much like Krokodil, that whack drug despoiling not-so-motherly Russia.

Well at list one of the syllabus of that drug is spelled differently. I think Krokodeilos is a very cool surname. It means Crocodile in greek and having a surname or first name based on an animal is something is awesome. Another example of a kind of name like this is: Leontas (taken from Lion).

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:14 am 

Actually, in Assassin's Creed Origins (The Egyptian themed one; the Greek themed one, Odyssey, which you would fully dig for its historical content, I'm playing now, but instead of chugging like I did the former, am slowly sipping like a fine wine, keeping playtime down to a daily minimum, with token breaks, like yesterday and the day before. That being said, Origins featured assassin targets by name of Krokodil and Leontas! Speak of devils...yes, they are awesome names (much better than mine, which, according to the oh-so-informed web, means "dark skinned moor". Maybe it's time to take one of those weird fangled DNA tests, only to find out I'm related to ole seed spewing Genghis).

And now, for another futureshocked (and shook) innovation pitfall:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... ius-crater

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:06 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Actually, in Assassin's Creed Origins (The Egyptian themed one; the Greek themed one, Odyssey, which you would fully dig for its historical content, I'm playing now, but instead of chugging like I did the former, am slowly sipping like a fine wine, keeping playtime down to a daily minimum, with token breaks, like yesterday and the day before. That being said, Origins featured assassin targets by name of Krokodil and Leontas! Speak of devils...yes, they are awesome names (much better than mine, which, according to the oh-so-informed web, means "dark skinned moor". Maybe it's time to take one of those weird fangled DNA tests, only to find out I'm related to ole seed spewing Genghis).

And now, for another futureshocked (and shook) innovation pitfall:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... ius-crater

Wow what a coincidence. To be serious we should do a grateful about our names and our surnames they describe our heritage and history. Even though I don't really like name Genghis, Kahn does sound like an awesome surname. You've got Roy Kahn, Shao Kahn, Kahn from Start Trek, Oliver Kahn etc. I also read your new Ice Howl review. Why not believe the instrumentation and the power metal approach brings the band the step further I don't like the inflames inspired death growls and blackened vocals. I mean I know on the first album they included the extreme elements but I think ice Howl we sound much better if they only have clean vocals. By the way Jason has a very good voice especially for a guy who has learnt how to sing on his own without help from a professional vocal coach.

A finally about the visual views incident. Wow what a moron that guy was I wonder how did he not get burnt by the magma.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:08 pm 

I'm going on a hiatus considering my reviews because I want to make a good heavy metal demo or album. My last review for now will be on Prowler's Reactivate released this year. If you are a fan of NWOBHM, stay tune! These guys have a song called samurai that sounds like mid to late '80s cloven hoof.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:20 am 

I can see your In Flames viewpoint, now, and agree, some of the raspiness wears thin. Also, I know it's time for a bit of a reviewing break after posting such an egregious track-by-track review (of sorts) - I can already hear Diamhea's spirit chiding me from beyond. I also got carried away with penguins and polar bears, but what can I say, when you hear the words Ice Howl? Best of luck with your project, it sounds like quite the commitment. Haha, Hercules even approached me a couple years back with an offer to sing vocals on an upcoming release (kind of a long distance, Cloven Altar-type arrangement). Though I was homeless at the time, you never know, eh? I just finished playing Sleeping Dogs - the Hong Kong variant of Grand Theft Auto (which is even better than Rockstar's opuses, believe it or not) and have indeed developed an affinity for karaoke...and am now willing to take it further. By the way, Twist, I so dig opening lines to latest (new) Testament review. Great job on the anthology!

Star_Fox
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:58 pm 

Twisted_Psychology's doing a few Testament reviews; can't disagree with him. That Ritual is so boring, and maybe Metallica (TBA) demonstrated how to do it a little better, and Megadeth (CTE/Youthanasia) showed how to do it much, much better.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:06 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... uer/402292

Great review

Im a fan of Griverion and Morcolac

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:04 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 666/329559

hmm should probably give this album another shot. I had it down as being at least the best of their reformation albums but otherwise within the same tier - certainly not bad or even mediocre, but not a cut on Urm the Mad nor Shedding of Skin.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:49 am 

It's always a fun day when I get hate mail for reviews I write. This time, some guy used my Bandcamp contact link to send me an email calling me a "poser" for rating the new In Flames song poorly yet enjoying "Helmet and other shitty nu metal bands". What's even funnier is that I recognized him as the same guy who had previously sent me hate mail for my Clayman review and called me a "Trumptard" in it.

Has anyone else gotten hate mail over reviews they've written? Or are my opinions and writing uniquely terrible?

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:31 pm 

@Lord: sometimes someone tells me that my reviews are poor, but this is one of ten reactions or something like that. I don't care and it's natural that someone does not like the things I (or you) do.

@Demon: yes, give the album another try and you will be rewarded. And no, I'm not Martin Missy in disuise.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:21 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
It's always a fun day when I get hate mail for reviews I write. This time, some guy used my Bandcamp contact link to send me an email calling me a "poser" for rating the new In Flames song poorly yet enjoying "Helmet and other shitty nu metal bands". What's even funnier is that I recognized him as the same guy who had previously sent me hate mail for my Clayman review and called me a "Trumptard" in it.

Funny how he calls you a poser, yet he probably couldn't even name 3 songs from the pre-Clayman era of In Flames :lol: :getout:

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:11 am 

I think I just read the best kluseba review ever, for Japan's Western alphabet shirking 人間椅子 (and latest masterpiece 苦楽). Now I also know where The Human Chair got his moniker! Just listened to NINGEN ISU / The Colour out of Space (人間椅子 / 宇宙からの色) and discern cosmic, Hawkwind meets Pentagram (particularly the eerie guitar squeal off "Nightmare Gown") meets 3 deranged front men, one of which sports ghostly make-up. Good stuff, I'm definitely going to "sit" on it.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:07 pm 

I get the occasional jab for not giving something the "right" percentage but my credibility is only rarely ever called into question. There was a time I pissed off Bruce Corbitt because I compared his voice on the last Warbeast to Phil Anselmo. Consider his passing shortly afterward, I feel bad for that being the only time I ever interacted with him.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:23 pm 

I'm very happy to see reviews of Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra, I congratulate Slater for them, my only complaint (and I don't say this as a criticism) is that I'm sad that he split The Key to the Gates of Apocalypse in different tracks, I think one of the strong points of the album is its impact as a single long song.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:06 pm 

Forever Underground wrote:
I'm very happy to see reviews of Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra, I congratulate Slater for them, my only complaint (and I don't say this as a criticism) is that I'm sad that he split The Key to the Gates of Apocalypse in different tracks, I think one of the strong points of the album is its impact as a single long song.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! About The Key to the Gates of Apocalypse, it might've been easier to have just reviewed it as a single song, but I didn't felt like using a bunch of timestamps in that review.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:18 am 

Demon Fang wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Protector/Excessive_Outburst_of_Depravity/1028527/Felix_1666/329559

hmm should probably give this album another shot. I had it down as being at least the best of their reformation albums but otherwise within the same tier - certainly not bad or even mediocre, but not a cut on Urm the Mad nor Shedding of Skin.

It's indeed pretty good. I've only listened maybe twice but it does what it does well.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:07 pm 

Hey Slater great review with Pierced…

My fav album of Suffocation after Breeding and Effigy

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:27 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
Hey Slater great review with Pierced…

My fav album of Suffocation after Breeding and Effigy

Thanks! Even though I prefer their debut, PFW is still a great album, and I had some fun reviewing it.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:38 pm 

Gaz, nice duet for Maule and that latent piece of crap by Midnight, Let There Be Triteness. I really didn't jive to it, and would've even felt embarrassed reviewing it. Much like Big Mouth has lots its jocose and educational appeal (a "far cry" from supposed pedophiliac controversy - heck, short of France's ribald Fluid Glacial [aka American Pie protagonist] exposure, wish I had such a show growing up, spinning light on a decidedly awkward pubescent time in one's eventually future shook life) due to wanton fifth season violence better suited to something gone whack like Rick and Shorty. Hoity-ho-hum!

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:31 pm 

Annable's review of Carcass' Symphonies is great, but the mention of "standard Z tuning" confused me - Z isn't even a note! They tuned down to B standard which was still very low for its time, only Bolt Thrower went lower to A standard on Realm of Chaos.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:04 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
Annable's review of Carcass' Symphonies is great, but the mention of "standard Z tuning" confused me - Z isn't even a note! They tuned down to B standard which was still very low for its time, only Bolt Thrower went lower to A standard on Realm of Chaos.

Maybe she(or he)was ironic to underline the great tone of guitars

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... rts/324993

Superb review but I don’t understand if that is a classic album,ahead of its time the vote 84%

One of my all time fav album for me have no flaws ,a masterpiece for 95 100 %

Ps last question the vocals are by all three members and are incredible literally incredible

Edit another fantastic review

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/K ... _vike/6398

Bro’ you made my want to listen that album again and again but not having mentioned Vatteneger the closer is imperdonabile (I joke of course)

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:55 pm 

Nattskog, I'm really loving your review of Havukrunnu's Uinuos syömein sota! I actually ordered the 3rd pressing of the CD yesterday off their Bandcamp site, and your review only hyped up my purchase even more!

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:59 am 

Great album and great reviews(too Horna and Korgonthurus)

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:48 am 

Man, the NP thread made me think of Paradox's Heresy II, so curiosity got the better of me and I checked out the reviews for that album. The single negative review is just trash; if "it has no personality" and "is not memorable" (read: "it's boring") is the core of the "critique", with a bit of "lacks variety" and "overlong", you know it's gutter-level insight we're dealing with here.

Last edited by Red_Death on Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:24 am 

King_of_Arnor wrote:

It's a common metal joke to refer to any very low guitar tuning as "drop Z" or something similar.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:07 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ele/532800

Man I love you review finally someone make justice to one of greatest album of 2022

thePowermetalLynx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:20 pm 

Just noticed the new Pathfinder review. I daresay I agree whole-heartedly with the reviewer on the messiness and randomness and it's always fun to see an album stirring up this much emotion lol

Old School is the only School

Consistency is a Virtue
Repetition is a Sin

Call me Shirley or Lynxie

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485 ... 520  Next