Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:21 am 

Looks like bayern's got himself a handler!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:17 am 

Coastliner wrote:
There's a good new Toxik review by bayern…

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... yern/81007

…that's slightly marred by some grammar hiccups and typos. This is not intended as a complaint but as a suggestion for improvement:

Second paragraph:
"If the previous collection bravely tried to explore a few untrodden by the band trajectories" => "… tried to explore a few trajectories untrodden by the band".

Fourth paragraph:
"a cool dramatic dystopian twister which more ambitious layout is more deftly revealed later on " => I don't even know what this is supposed to mean; it's either "… with a more ambitious layout…" or "… the more ambitious layout of which…".

Fifth paragraph:
"The band old fans should be happy all over as again this outing tries to extract the essence from the first two albums by also serving the boosted modern production to probably attract new audience." => "The band's […] a new audience." Plus: I don't know what the "by also serving the" part is supposed to mean. Is it "but it also serves the/a"?

Last paragraph:
"will I take…" => "Will I take…"
"a rampant guitar hero whose omnipresence should calm humanity down. Will he promise it salvation with his next saga?" => E.g. "Will he promise us salvation" would be better; "it" is too abstract. After all, "humanity" means "us", not some species distinct from us.

Man, not everyone on this forum speaks English as a first language...and besides Bayern is right about the second, probably third (which could be clearer, besides adding the article as you mentioned), and final points that you've brought up. No need to point out little things really.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:22 am 

Coastliner wrote:
There's a good new Toxik review by bayern…

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... yern/81007

…that's slightly marred by some grammar hiccups and typos. This is not intended as a complaint but as a suggestion for improvement:

Second paragraph:
"If the previous collection bravely tried to explore a few untrodden by the band trajectories" => "… tried to explore a few trajectories untrodden by the band".

Fourth paragraph:
"a cool dramatic dystopian twister which more ambitious layout is more deftly revealed later on " => I don't even know what this is supposed to mean; it's either "… with a more ambitious layout…" or "… the more ambitious layout of which…".

Fifth paragraph:
"The band old fans should be happy all over as again this outing tries to extract the essence from the first two albums by also serving the boosted modern production to probably attract new audience." => "The band's […] a new audience." Plus: I don't know what the "by also serving the" part is supposed to mean. Is it "but it also serves the/a"?

Last paragraph:
"will I take…" => "Will I take…"
"a rampant guitar hero whose omnipresence should calm humanity down. Will he promise it salvation with his next saga?" => E.g. "Will he promise us salvation" would be better; "it" is too abstract. After all, "humanity" means "us", not some species distinct from us.

Hey, thanks for noticing all those, but they're all intentional, so they stay.

By "serving..." please read "providing", "introducing"... it can't be that hard to get, can it?

"Humanity" in this case is "it"; we're talking a guitar hero, someone who has elevated himself above the mere mortals due to his inordinate skills. He detaches himself from the species, you see.

"which more ambitious layout" refers to the song mentioned earlier, the "cool dramatic dystopian twister" that is

"will I take...": I often start the paragraph with a small letter if I've ended the previous one with an ellipsis. This is the way I choose to do it. Not always, though

Last edited by bayern on Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:29 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Man, not everyone on this forum speaks English as a first language...and besides Bayern is right about the second, probably third (which could be clearer, besides adding the article as you mentioned), and final points that you've brought up. No need to point out little things really.

Man, it's alright, although it's funny... cause obviously I'm not going to change the way I write. I understand it alright, as pretty much everybody else here. I stick to my own world order, to my own vocabulary... on occasion that is. It takes time, I guess, for people to get used to it and appreciate it.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:05 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
That's pretty cool you opened for them! What you describe is a good reason I'm less inclined to write anything up these days, and I'm not really in the mood to slam stuff in a lesser rated way. I think going back to the classics works fine though, in terms of breaking out of self-imposed molds.

Welp, guess I had enough to say about it after all. I like it well enough but I can see how it has less of an edge compared to their last couple albums.

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:38 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:

"This is not intended as a complaint but as a suggestion for improvement". In my understanding, the discography and review section is the work of a community with one common goal: to create something that will last for decades (cf. Wikipedia or similar sites). Therefore, I thought proof-reading could be of help. That's the spirit behind the suggestion. Oh well, it's the internet, so some confrontation waits just around the corner…

By the way: I'm not a native speaker either, and my grammar is as primitive as a deep, dark hole. Hence, the clearer the formulation the better – for me as a reader.

bayern wrote:
By "serving..." please read "providing", "introducing"... it can't be that hard to get, can it?

"By also providing the boosted modern production this outing tries to extract the essence from the first two albums"? In other words: "The modern production extracts the essence from the first two albums?" Is that what you want to say?

bayern wrote:
"Humanity" in this case is "it"; we're talking a guitar hero, someone who has elevated himself above the mere mortals due to his inordinate skills. He detaches himself from the species, you see.

Ok, but still… it's probably just a question of taste or style but to me the "it" referring back to "humanity" (= "people") looks strange and makes it harder to read because it's rather uncommon. I probably would have used a synonym (e.g. "mankind") instead of "it" (quoth Mr. O. Pinion-Feedback). Whatever.

bayern wrote:
"which more ambitious layout" refers to the song mentioned earlier, the "cool dramatic dystopian twister" that is

Yes, I know – but what's up with the grammar? I'm pretty sure you know the correct way to use a subordinate clause; see: the rest of the review. It's just this sentence that looks like a hiccup or an oversight.

Again, I think it's a good review, a text worth reading (although I don't agree with your assessment of the album). Otherwise I wouldn't have pointed out those things. Bad texts are irredeemable anyway.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:03 pm 

Coastliner wrote:
"This is not intended as a complaint but as a suggestion for improvement". In my understanding, the discography and review section is the work of a community with one common goal: to create something that will last for decades (cf. Wikipedia or similar sites). Therefore, I thought proof-reading could be of help. That's the spirit behind the suggestion. Oh well, it's the internet, so some confrontation waits just around the corner…

By the way: I'm not a native speaker either, and my grammar is as primitive as a deep, dark hole. Hence, the clearer the formulation the better – for me as a reader.

Again, I think it's a good review, a text worth reading (although I don't agree with your assessment of the album). Otherwise I wouldn't have pointed out those things. Bad texts are irredeemable anyway.

Man, I really appreciate your comments, but this is turning into an English class seminar. So very quickly:

about the “… the boosted modern production..." sentence: there's a word missing. I understand your confusion there; it's already been corrected. Just wrote too quickly and didn't check afterwards.

about the "a cool dramatic dystopian twister which more ambitious layout is more deftly revealed later on": this is a part of a lengthy compound sentence, and is perfectly legitimate. I don't understand the issue here... which part of this segment bothers you?

about "humanity" and "it": again we view humanity from a higher pedestal, as an entity that depends on someone more advanced to entertain and support it. The use of "it" also presupposes contempt, sarcasm, patronizing...

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:38 pm 

Maybe I need to give Savage Master's latest another chance, as even Twist proclaims it worthy of an A grade. However, I still take major issue with yeggs who state For Those Who Hunt At Night superior to past albums, said awesome debut in particular.

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:16 pm 

bayern wrote:
Man, I really appreciate your comments, but this is turning into an English class seminar. So very quickly:

Sorry, it's really not my intention to turn anything into an English seminar. It's just this: When I read reviews I'm really interested in what people think and in being entertained by interesting ideas and weird metaphors etc. But what if those ideas are hidden behind sentences you read four or five times without getting any wiser, i.e. that aren't really reader-friendly? :cry:

bayern wrote:
about the "a cool dramatic dystopian twister which more ambitious layout is more deftly revealed later on": this is a part of a lengthy compound sentence, and is perfectly legitimate. I don't understand the issue here... which part of this segment bothers you?

It's this part: "which more ambitious layout is more deftly revealed later on". I don't know what it's supposed to mean. If it's intended as a possessive relative clause (and I'm not sure if it's intended as a possessive relative clause), it should resemble this perfectly fine segment in your first paragraph: "this wasn’t another subversive track-dripping/leaking operation, misleading signs of which were the two singles".

So, if it's intended as a possessive relative clause (and I don't know if it is) it should read: "a cool dramatic dystopian twister, the more ambitious layout of which is more deftly revealed later on".

bayern wrote:
about "humanity" and "it": again we view humanity from a higher pedestal, as an entity that depends on someone more advanced to entertain and support it. The use of "it" also presupposes contempt, sarcasm, patronizing...

Yes, ok, after the explanation in your previous post I understood what you had been driving at in the review. And there's no grammar mistake or anything like that. As I said, it's probably just a matter of style or taste and personal preferences. So there isn't really a basis for a discussion.

But in case you want to know where I'm coming from: Both "humanity" and "promise" are words that refer to people. I promise you… You promise me… We promise them… But we hardly ever promise "it"… even if it's grammatically correct.

It's easy to imagine a supervillain uttering this punchline:

"I promise mankind a nice doomsday."

It's harder to imagine that that supervillain would say:

"I promise it a nice doomsday."

Because it's rather uncommon to use an abstract and neutral "it" in that context (People just don't talk like that...). As a listener or reader you wonder: "What does that 'it' refer to? Ah, there it is, it's the word 'humanity' in the preceding sentence." If the reader has to think and wonder and go back and forth, the punchline loses it's immediate effect. In other words: it's another obstacle in the text, a text that would be complex enough without obstacles.

But as I said, there's nothing _wrong_ with your sentence. Word choice and style etc. are very subjective matters, and if nobody else is bothered about it, it's possibly just me.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:50 pm 

Coastliner wrote:
It's this part: "which more ambitious layout is more deftly revealed later on". I don't know what it's supposed to mean. If it's intended as a possessive relative clause (and I'm not sure if it's intended as a possessive relative clause), it should resemble this perfectly fine segment in your first paragraph: "this wasn’t another subversive track-dripping/leaking operation, misleading signs of which were the two singles".

So, if it's intended as a possessive relative clause (and I don't know if it is) it should read: "a cool dramatic dystopian twister, the more ambitious layout of which is more deftly revealed later on".

Yes, it's a possessive relative clause; what else can it be?

You're confused by the use of "which" instead of "whose", I understand. I always use "which" in sentences with inanimate objects; I just find it awkward using "whose" in those; and I know this is the universally acceptable way. This is just another personal preference.

"a cool dramatic dystopian twister, the more ambitious layout of which is more deftly revealed later on": yes of course, but once I've used this structure in a review, I don't use it a second time; unless absolutely necessary. Guess the Toxik review is the only one of mine that you've read... otherwise, you'd have sounded the alarm much much earlier.

Anyway, it's good to know that there's a colleague, someone else from the education industry, who roams the pages here, and spots linguistic peculiarities.

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:25 am 

bayern wrote:
Yes, it's a possessive relative clause; what else can it be?

As I said, the use of "which" could also be a typo. It could be a wrong word accidentally used instead of "with":

"a cool dramatic dystopian twister with a more ambitious layout is more deftly revealed later on".

Grammatically correct but semantically different. Yep, things like these can enter people's heads if they try to find their way in the fog of words... :crash:

bayern wrote:
You're confused by the use of "which" instead of "whose", I understand. I always use "which" in sentences with inanimate objects; I just find it awkward using "whose" in those; and I know this is the universally acceptable way. This is just another personal preference.

I've never seen anything like that in texts. As far as I know, the following construction is the only one possible:

bayern wrote:
"a cool dramatic dystopian twister, the more ambitious layout of which is more deftly revealed later on": yes of course, but once I've used this structure in a review, I don't use it a second time; unless absolutely necessary.

Please use it a second time because it is indeed necessary.

bayern wrote:
Anyway, it's good to know that there's a colleague, someone else from the education industry, who roams the pages here, and spots linguistic peculiarities.

I'm not from the education industry. I read lots of reviews for fun, but when reading turns into guesswork it isn't fun anymore. There may even be people who can't be bothered reading a text if it's riddled with errors or linguistic stunts (or if it's just a formless block of words without paragraphs etc.) because a lack of care in writing kind of disrespects the reader and devalues the writer's ideas, particularly if the reader can hardly decipher what those ideas actually are when the language stands in the way. In my view, language is a writer's vehicle; he / she won't get far with a flat tire.

To be honest, I'm surprised that this turned into a thorny discussion. I thought you'd answer "Ah, I see. I was in a hurry. It's a bit rough. I'll try to bring it into shape later" or something like that because, considering your varied vocabulary, you clearly know a thing or two about English. You can express yourself eloquently – and juggling with words is probably great fun for you – which renders the bumps in the road all the more bumpy and the resistance against self-critical proof-reading difficult to understand. I mean language seems to be one of your babies -: please nurse it when it's crying. :wink:

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:13 am 

Coastliner wrote:
To be honest, I'm surprised that this turned into a thorny discussion. I thought you'd answer "Ah, I see. I was in a hurry. It's a bit rough. I'll try to bring it into shape later" or something like that because, considering your varied vocabulary, you clearly know a thing or two about English. You can express yourself eloquently – and juggling with words is probably great fun for you – which renders the bumps in the road all the more bumpy and the resistance against self-critical proof-reading difficult to understand. I mean language seems to be one of your babies -: please nurse it when it's crying. :wink:

Nah, there's nothing thorny here; you're also reading too much between the lines, not only the lines themselves :)

It's a constructive discussion, one that I've never had before, and I appreciate it, really. I obviously don't spend time re-reading my reviews, and there might be typos and other bumps scattered around, but that's alright again... guess I have other things to do apart from reading and re-reading my own writings, looking to polish and refine them. Besides, that's why we have scrutinizers like you, who pay attention to those. And this is how we know that someone does care about our ramblings posted here. And that already means a great deal, regardless of how it may seem from a distance. :)

By the way, I'm putting an end to this interaction here cause this forum is not the right place for it. You can pm me if you have anything more to add regarding this topic. Cheers.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:51 am 

New subject: congrats to naverhtrad (which I misspelled enough times before getting right) for the Lords Of The Trident's latest, which, apparently, is a huge step up from their previous effort. I haven't been this excited for a new release since, well, Savage Master's feat of general fanbase hypnosis which, sorry to say, still doesn't quite salt the ole sirloin. Actually, every time I go to listen to it, by the time the opener ends, find myself reaching for the (stupidly) drifting xbox controller for a "little" game of Ghost Recon Wildlands (or even Hitman 3, of bald-as-a-cue-ball-w/-bar code renown).

By the way, I feel pride for fellow nwothm enthusiast nightbreaker trente-trois. So cool how he picked up on how I claimed the no frills "heavy metal" genre doesn't receive enough love here at the archives. Carry the NWOTHM torch, bro! (Speaking of which, Haunt has released yet another album.) As reward, check out Templars Knight Of Metal - it's right up our collective alley...

Also, now that my reviews to forum posts ration sits at 1:1, maybe I'll shut up for a bit until inspiration hits i.e. flattens like a mach truck.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:06 am 

If you want to complain about bayern's review go to why was this accepted and write a complaint there. You guys either have a lot of free time or are just plain nuts for writing all those great walls of texts over a few grammatical errors.

Quote:
. By the way, I feel pride for fellow nwothm enthusiast nightbreaker trente-trois. So cool how he picked up on how I claimed the no frills "heavy metal" genre doesn't receive enough love here at the archives. Carry the NWOTHM torch, bro! (Speaking of which, Haunt has released yet another album.) As reward, check out Templars Knight Of Metal - it's right up our collective alley...

CHAIRTHROWER, can you remind me where did I say that? I wrote that on a new review you read or did I post it here in the review discussion thread? I didnt go out of my house for 1 day and I wrote 6 reviews so I probably missed/forgot about something. T.K.O.M? They sound like they play epic metal. I will most likely check them out.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:50 pm 

Fellow sentiment was gleaned within the first paragraph of your latest for Vision Master's Orb:

"I was looking for new quality heavy metal music with clean vocals here on Metal Archives by spamming the “Random Band” button. At first, I had lost hope. I thought only black/extreme metal bands would pop up. Yes, that did happen. But after 30 clicks, the site redirected me to the Vision Master page. When I saw the label “Heavy Metal” I left a heavy sigh of relief. I said to myself “Finally, something that I will most likely enjoy”."

I found this particularly hilarious and prescient, as, so far, have often experienced the same with the random band option.

Oh yeah, check out Templars, they sound like a fresher version of Airforce, they of intensely Iron Maiden-esque zeal.

(Such extracurricular post also means I owe the site a review now!)

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:38 pm 

I guess I was lucky to find them hahahaha. Seriously though, Orb has some of the best metal songs Ive heard in 2022. It also happens to be one of the few bands which I like the rough vocals in them. Probably because they are very close to thrash than other extreme genres. I actually started listening thrash at first and K listened to a lot of Exodus with all of the singers, Sacred Reich and Domination (gre).

naverhtrad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:18 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
New subject: congrats to naverhtrad (which I misspelled enough times before getting right) for the Lords Of The Trident's latest, which, apparently, is a huge step up from their previous effort. I haven't been this excited for a new release since, well, Savage Master's feat of general fanbase hypnosis which, sorry to say, still doesn't quite salt the ole sirloin. Actually, every time I go to listen to it, by the time the opener ends, find myself reaching for the (stupidly) drifting xbox controller for a "little" game of Ghost Recon Wildlands (or even Hitman 3, of bald-as-a-cue-ball-w/-bar code renown).

By the way, I feel pride for fellow nwothm enthusiast nightbreaker trente-trois. So cool how he picked up on how I claimed the no frills "heavy metal" genre doesn't receive enough love here at the archives. Carry the NWOTHM torch, bro! (Speaking of which, Haunt has released yet another album.) As reward, check out Templars Knight Of Metal - it's right up our collective alley...

Also, now that my reviews to forum posts ration sits at 1:1, maybe I'll shut up for a bit until inspiration hits i.e. flattens like a mach truck.

Cheers! I'll probably end up doing a review for Savage Master's TWHaN at some point along as well. It's a solid album, but I suspect you're right - it's not quite up to their personal standard set by Myth, Magic and Steel.

Speaking of that, funny story about The Offering. I was at Blades of Steel this year in Milwaukee, and I sat down at the bar two seats down from Ty Christian himself (OOC), who notices the LotT patch on my vest, and tells me 'nice patch' or something like that. I said something to the effect of:

'Hey, thanks! Did you hear their new album The Offering? Killer stuff! They really outdid themselves there.'

He answered: 'Oh, yeah. I've heard it a couple times. Sang the main vocals, actually.'

Best double-take I've had in awhile.

But we got a good conversation going. Fang's a cool guy. He was there pretty much to see Savage Master and Ironflame as a fan, and also to support his fellow local WI bands. Like a lot of these NWoTHM folks (thinking Visigoth primarily, here), he's pretty humble and genuine.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:20 am 

Groovy!

That reminds me of when I was at the 2013 Armstrong Metal fest in the (C)Okanagan Valley and struck up a drunken conversation with the members of Striker, who had just set up camp right next to us on the fairgrounds, with musicians and fans mixing about everywhere. They even heeded my request to play "Terrorizer". It was quite memorable!

I just d/l'd The Offering to the ole trusty (and soon extinct) MP3 player and will surely give it a listen over the weekend. As for the new Savage Master, I'll wait until there's an abundance of frippery devoid MA reviews posted to its effect, but I still think it rates in the seventies.

Chairs!

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:50 am 

For the first few measures or so, the band catches your attention and makes you curious to hear more of what might come up this odd, unorthodox, strange approach to metal music. And for a short while you find yourself a bit intrigued. However, the music immediately becomes dreadfully repetitive, totally devoid of feeling, and downright ridiculous. Nowhere in this scattered shitstorm of noise will you find anything close to a coherent musical idea, or anything remotely worthy of musical value. Nor will you hear any single melody that will catch your metal ears.

The riffs sound extremely lazy, powerless, and poorly recorded. Backing the riffs is a spasmodic drummer who mindlessly delivers blast beat patterns that sound completely unfocused and uncoordinated. It must be that the drummer is so overly eager to showcase his hand speed that he completely lost his hearing in the process. None of his beats, fills, or crashes are tasteful or fitting. They are fast and chaotic merely for the sake of being fast and chaotic. It doesn't work and only ends up making them look and sound dreadfully awful and silly.

By the third song you find yourself wondering, hoping for maybe some variety of sound or musical delivery. It never comes. You find yourself baffled how the band never once consolidates any of their ideas into a single workable musical concept. Once you've heard the first minute of this album, you've heard the entire album. Don't hope for the slightest bit of variety, melody, feeling, or coherence, because you'll just be chasing a wild goose. You might think I'm exaggerating. I'm really not. This album truly is devoid of even the slightest amount of melody, feeling or emotion.

Now let's talk about the vocals. Just what in the fuck is he saying? There might as well not be any lyrics, because nothing that comes out is in the least bit decipherable. Vocals that are indecipherable are one thing, but when every single syllable that comes out of the guy's mouth sounds EXACTLY the same, you wonder what the fuck is the point of even having vocals at all. None of his low-pitched gargling delivers the slightest degree of passion or power. As for the tone of the voice being used, it resembles the sound of someone puking. It is absolutely horrible and intolerable to listen to.

Is there any redeeming quality to this flaming pile of shit? Unfortunately, no, there really isn't. Sometimes, even when a bands completely SOUNDS like shit, they retain a redeeming factor in that the riffs and solos they play actually take skill or dexterity. That isn't the case here. No demanding technical skill is to be found. The most you'll get is some fast right hand picking, but unfortunately the right hands seem to be totally out of sync and out of communication with the left hand on the fret board. Very little solos are found within this album, and when they actually come, they are short, spurious, and devoid of any passion whatsoever.

In conclusion, it was a complete waste of my time to check out this shitty album. It truly deserves a 0/100.

This is a review of 2016 how can be accepted is a mystery

Not for the 0 to one of best album ever did but for total empty and lack of argument

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:06 pm 

Hein?!

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:11 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
For the first few measures or so, the band catches your attention and makes you curious to hear more of what might come up this odd, unorthodox, strange approach to metal music. And for a short while you find yourself a bit intrigued. However, the music immediately becomes dreadfully repetitive, totally devoid of feeling, and downright ridiculous. Nowhere in this scattered shitstorm of noise will you find anything close to a coherent musical idea, or anything remotely worthy of musical value. Nor will you hear any single melody that will catch your metal ears.

The riffs sound extremely lazy, powerless, and poorly recorded. Backing the riffs is a spasmodic drummer who mindlessly delivers blast beat patterns that sound completely unfocused and uncoordinated. It must be that the drummer is so overly eager to showcase his hand speed that he completely lost his hearing in the process. None of his beats, fills, or crashes are tasteful or fitting. They are fast and chaotic merely for the sake of being fast and chaotic. It doesn't work and only ends up making them look and sound dreadfully awful and silly.

By the third song you find yourself wondering, hoping for maybe some variety of sound or musical delivery. It never comes. You find yourself baffled how the band never once consolidates any of their ideas into a single workable musical concept. Once you've heard the first minute of this album, you've heard the entire album. Don't hope for the slightest bit of variety, melody, feeling, or coherence, because you'll just be chasing a wild goose. You might think I'm exaggerating. I'm really not. This album truly is devoid of even the slightest amount of melody, feeling or emotion.

Now let's talk about the vocals. Just what in the fuck is he saying? There might as well not be any lyrics, because nothing that comes out is in the least bit decipherable. Vocals that are indecipherable are one thing, but when every single syllable that comes out of the guy's mouth sounds EXACTLY the same, you wonder what the fuck is the point of even having vocals at all. None of his low-pitched gargling delivers the slightest degree of passion or power. As for the tone of the voice being used, it resembles the sound of someone puking. It is absolutely horrible and intolerable to listen to.

Is there any redeeming quality to this flaming pile of shit? Unfortunately, no, there really isn't. Sometimes, even when a bands completely SOUNDS like shit, they retain a redeeming factor in that the riffs and solos they play actually take skill or dexterity. That isn't the case here. No demanding technical skill is to be found. The most you'll get is some fast right hand picking, but unfortunately the right hands seem to be totally out of sync and out of communication with the left hand on the fret board. Very little solos are found within this album, and when they actually come, they are short, spurious, and devoid of any passion whatsoever.

In conclusion, it was a complete waste of my time to check out this shitty album. It truly deserves a 0/100.

This is a review of 2016 how can be accepted is a mystery

Not for the 0 to one of best album ever did but for total empty and lack of argument

Lee, I think you're in the wrong thread... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4153

And here's a link to the review he's talking about since he didn't link it: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... wer/324766

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:38 pm 

Ops thanks

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:24 am 

I'm hearing a lot of good talk about this Hooded Menace (The Tritonus Bell) phenomenon. Now that colin40 placed it somewhat in the realm of pure "heavy metal", will have to make some mp3 room to analyze this covert threat. Just the name and artwork alone have reeled me in like a boss (or bass).

Also, hail to fellow Canadian MA newcomer RichardTaylor666 for that eye opening/watering Grenadier review.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:40 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
I'm hearing a lot of good talk about this Hooded Menace (The Tritonus Bell) phenomenon. Now that colin40 placed it somewhat in the realm of pure "heavy metal", will have to make some mp3 room to analyze this covert threat. Just the name and artwork alone have reeled me in like a boss (or bass).

Glad that my review caught your interests. Here's hoping that you'll like the album!

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:50 pm 

Gotta say Hells review of Watain's latest is excellent stuff. In fact all of the reviews I've read of his in recent times have been great. Well balanced, descriptive and informative writing. One of the few reviewers that manages to keep my attention from start to finish.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:44 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Gotta say Hells review of Watain's latest is excellent stuff. In fact all of the reviews I've read of his in recent times have been great. Well balanced, descriptive and informative writing. One of the few reviewers that manages to keep my attention from start to finish.

Many thanks, I've been working on further refining my formula ever since my work began to be featured on Sonic Perspectives, as the audience there is fairly sizable and it's turning into something resembling a part time music journalism gig given that I've been able to get press credentials to attend shows in the New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland area due to my employment there. Some of my concert write-ups are also being featured on Metal Injection and Bravewords now, which has really forced me to focus on quality over quantity in order to keep from being chewed out by those webzines' generally unforgiving audience. lol

Despite the fact that I was extremely late to the party when it comes to more extreme metal sub-genres, I've become something of a go-to guy for death and black metal on Sonic Perspectives because most of the other writers there are more into AOR and prog rock than anything else.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:57 am 

BurningOfSodom, thanks for giving Mutant some attention! Just disappointed that no one has yet reviewed any of their releases with the awesome 'Psycho Surgery' on, and that I can't even find anywhere to get them.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:19 pm 

No disrespect, but I'm dying to know if anyone noticed how I just technically pulled a Nattskog, there? Extra points if you can pinpoint why!

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:03 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
BurningOfSodom, thanks for giving Mutant some attention! Just disappointed that no one has yet reviewed any of their releases with the awesome 'Psycho Surgery' on, and that I can't even find anywhere to get them.

Happy you liked it man! And that you know the band, they had incredible potential. I hadn't heard the EP in ages and it was fun to see that I still could sing along 'The Rauncher' by heart, and that stuff still feels fresh and up to par after all these years. Admittedly, I remember having read on a forum that the previous release is nothing special, but yeah, I can't find it anywhere for a second opinion. 'Psycho Surgery' is out as a single though, you might give it a shot during the next challenge :-P

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
No disrespect, but I'm dying to know if anyone noticed how I just technically pulled a Nattskog, there? Extra points if you can pinpoint why!

I retreat, but stay tuned for the answer.

It's the dawn of descending...

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:23 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Happy you liked it man! And that you know the band, they had incredible potential. I hadn't heard the EP in ages and it was fun to see that I still could sing along 'The Rauncher' by heart, and that stuff still feels fresh and up to par after all these years. Admittedly, I remember having read on a forum that the previous release is nothing special, but yeah, I can't find it anywhere for a second opinion. 'Psycho Surgery' is out as a single though, you might give it a shot during the next challenge :-P

Well I had a look at the single, it seems to be the same one as I had, but I got it on one of those Metal Hammer samplers back in 2006/7. Can't think why a band that had broken up would release an old song again.

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:

I also can't figure it out. You drank a beer in the nighttime? My limited knowledge of Scandinavian languages tells me that the most similar yet also stupid-sounding translation is often the correct one.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:00 am 

It is indeed, and yep, it's peculiar to say the least. It seems they've been luring fans a bit on Facebook, but even those signs of life date to a good 4 years ago. Guess they actually had some plans for the future but shelved them once again. I suppose there's too much thrash around to grieve over their demise, but it's a shame for sure.

It's the dawn of descending...

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:46 am 

Yippee! Nightbreaker33's Hercules review is finally fresh off the press. Super excited to read it with morning coffee, and I've got to say, our Greek He-Men have belted two out of the candle stuck park this time, soon followed by yours truly's (post one-off total and haunted track name eschewing).

Btw, dude, you're only one review and one minute modification away from attaining dutiful veteran status. Keep it up (and true)!

*Just finished reading...you nailed it! I especially dig the part where you go:

"From the top of mount Olympus to the peak of mount Everest Chris' riffs can be heard and they pound the posers down to size."

I almost spewed my joe upon gleaning such comically ballsy line!

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:06 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Yippee! Nightbreaker33's Hercules review is finally fresh off the press. Super excited to read it with morning coffee, and I've got to say, our Greek He-Men have belted two out of the candle stuck park this time, soon followed by yours truly's (post one-off total and haunted track name eschewing).

Btw, dude, you're only one review and one minute modification away from attaining "metalhead" status. Keep it up (and true)!

*Just finished reading...you nailed it! I especially dig the part where you go:

"From the top of mount Olympus to the peak of mount Everest Chris' riffs can be heard and they pound the posers down to size."

I almost spewed my joe upon gleaning such comically ballsy line!

Once again thanks very much man I appreciated it. I could say the same about your new Templars review. It did sound like Iron Maiden but I forgot the songs a little but. You write poetically and use very advanced words and phrases!. About Legend Of Metal: By far the best Hercules drum machine album. Listen to the song Titanomachia. I made that quote out of one of the lyrics. Titanomachia is a "titanic" song with a great solo. Legend of metal has some of the best guitar solos. In the Will Chris burnt his fingers and guitar almost ignited. Being able to play guitar solos for 1,5 minutes non-stop is something I respect on a musician. I also want to return the favor and recommend you a power metal band: Check out Iron Brigade the US power metal band.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:45 pm 

You know I will, and a bit more on Templars: although I found it hard to write much about them (hence the very short review) they remind me a lot, in terms of crisp congruity and sharpness, of Sweden's excellent Stormburner and its Shadow Rising one off from 2019, for which Ed Sack performed great analysis. Also, (c)rest easy knowing the killer new Hercules remains on the backburner, as it demands a few more razzled spins in order to guarantee well done justice. Thanks again for the kind words - you may have noticed my write-ups are tamer and more generalized than before, when I was often prone to "meth"odical dabbling/babbling. At this point, I'm too old and settled to indulge such unhealthy madness!

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:14 pm 

I don't really understand Axl's intro to Show No Mercy: "Slayer's often-forgotten debut record"? 28 reviews, an average of 90% and one of most influential debuts of all times - are these the features on an often-forgotten record?

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:29 pm 

I don’t really understand how Annable destroy my fav album of Gojira…

Style over substance,pretentious pile of shit..

After Incantation review nihil tangit mi

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:49 pm 

Felix 1666 wrote:
I don't really understand Axl's intro to Show No Mercy: "Slayer's often-forgotten debut record"? 28 reviews, an average of 90% and one of most influential debuts of all times - are these the features on an often-forgotten record?

I guess his standards for what counts as a "forgotten record" are pretty low.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:26 am 

Probably in the sense that everyone knows Reign in Blood, but that sounds like it's coming from someone who doesn't know much about Slayer.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:56 pm 

Sad to hear Grim Reap's iconic wailer Steve Grimmett passed away. To this day, his stratospheric vocals on "See You In Hell" remain a most metal moment kids in the distant future will still freak out over, yet not quite in a sardonic Beavis and Butthead manner. Nice job by lord of toast in regards to a parting GM shot. Here is a great Guardian article about his untimely passing (that most metal purveyor of online non fake news):

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... es-aged-62

(What cool shot of him twisting the mike, as well.)

ps While I'm at it, here is another, albeit seven month old article about Burke Shelley of Budgie's death.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... es-aged-71

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:54 am 

Quote:
. Sad to hear Grim Reap's iconic wailer Steve Grimmett passed away. To this day.

RIP Steve Grimmet. While I only knew 2 GR songs, I saw a video from a live the band did in the 80's and he slayed! With his passing the only good thing that happened is that he won't suffer any more from the problems his missing leg might have caused. Even if he lost it at his late 50s-early 60s it still was something devastating. But he still managed to play in shows. This shows what a fighter he was.

BTW here is the video of afforementioned live show:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mTyS1yVwZNo

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487 ... 520  Next